Will we ever learn ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ScoobBlade

Reaction score
I have just listened to football heaven and while I accept that it doesn't reflect the opinion of all united fans I felt compelled to discuss the popular idea at the moment that is to sack nigel clough. I'm sure most people on here would agree that our performance in the league has been a disappointment but why is sacking clough a good idea. Since warnock we have had 9 managers, this regular change of manager has only achieved 2 relegations. As much as it is frustrating at the moment I firmly believe that keeping clough for the long term is what's best for us, I know I will get pelters for this but I want a man in charge who is level headed and who put the club first with every decision they make and nigel fits that bill. I'll just remind you all of the back end of last season, we beat bristol City easily and they could have sacked cotterill, they didn't and they are all but up already. i for one do hope that nigel is given the chance to see the job through, however long it takes

I have just listened to football heaven and while I accept that it doesn't reflect the opinion of all united fans I felt compelled to discuss the popular idea at the moment that is to sack nigel clough. I'm sure most people on here would agree that our performance in the league has been a disappointment but why is sacking clough a good idea. Since warnock we have had 9 managers, this regular change of manager has only achieved 2 relegations. As much as it is frustrating at the moment I firmly believe that keeping clough for the long term is what's best for us, I know I will get pelters for this but I want a man in charge who is level headed and who put the club first with every decision they make and nigel fits that bill. I'll just remind you all of the back end of last season, we beat bristol City easily and they could have sacked cotterill, they didn't and they are all but up already. i for one do hope that nigel is given the chance to see the job through, however long it takes

I'll run with that and it's difficult to come up with more positives than negatives at the moment in relation to Nigel.

It's a gut feeling, nothing more apart from the long line of sacked managers and lack of sucess it brings.

From the pre-season, through player recruitment to tactics to league position there is plenty to question but CLough seems to be the right man long term.

Roll on 2019 eh?

If Clough managed to beat Brizzle quite easily last season, then I ask the question, why have they gone on to be world beaters in this division whilst we have gone on to be carpet beaters?

Clough has probably brought in twice as many players as Cotterill and whilst we have sold Harry, they have sold Baldock

This season considering the resource Clough has had at his disposal relatively speaking that is, has been nothing short of crap

In the main:

Poor results (8 wins in 23)
Poor tactics
Poor entertainment value

If only the board could get the manager appointment right, the rest of the stuff tends to take care of itself

player recruitment
feel good factor
entertainment
attendances
er............... results!!!!!!!

The clock is ticking and in my humble opinion. He has 7 games up to a max of 10 to save his job

I've stuck by him up until Satdi's game, but that piss poor show did it for me. NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

I think we should go for continuity of the manager when we have a great manager. Honestly, I don't think we should settle for just a good manager just now, the job is bigger than that. Clough? I think he and his cronies are poor, not even good.

There's a big job to do in S2.

When people say we should give Clough time to finish the job he has started, what do they mean? Give him more time to:
waste money bringing in even more players who aren't good enough?
freeze out more players he doesn't get on with?
make us even more boring and negative than we already are (difficult I know)?
alienate even more of our fans?

When will we know he has finished the job he started?

I don't want him sacked. Mainly because it doesn't matter who comes in nothing will change. We have a splendid choice of what we want to watch. It's either boring football that fails, or boring hoofball that fails.
We might as well have boring football that fails

When people say we should give Clough time to finish the job he has started, what do they mean? Give him more time to:
waste money bringing in even more players who aren't good enough?
freeze out more players he doesn't get on with?
make us even more boring and negative than we already are (difficult I know)?
alienate even more of our fans?

When will we know he has finished the job he started?

Substitute the word 'Clough' in your post with 'Warnock' and the clock has just been turned back 10 years.

2 or 3 good results and he will be best thing since sliced bread especially if those results are against barnsley donny and chesterfield
Hmmmnn. So how well have we done in the derby games so far this season?

One win and two defeats.
I don't expect anything from Saturday given the relative form. We don't do form busting results as a rule. We seem to be the busted bastard when that sort of shit happens.

Can anyone else really see us putting one over the dingles at the weekend?
If Murphy doesn't do the business as he did at Donny then I am not sure where the goal might come from.

i agree, madness calling for his head now.

However, i fear if we miss the playoffs he'll get the chop.

Simple - ask yourself - would I trust NC with the budget next season? Sound like a forum pole.

I Since warnock we have had 9 managers, this regular change of manager has only achieved 2 relegations.

No.
It's 1 relegation since Warnock.
He'd taken us down.
That's how valid your opinion is.
Sums up the pro Clough argument for me.

I think the Barnsley, Donny and Chesterfield will determine our destiny. The players need to be ready for a battle as there'll be nowhere to hide in any of these fixtures.

The team have played some great football and pulled off some great results against the better teams, but in reality these three games are what this division is all about and where we have been found wanting. How the team performs will show how good a motivator NC is and will be a good indication of how much the players want to win for him, because they must know his head is on the chopping block.

I don't particularly want Clough sacked, but win, lose or draw, I do want to see a determined and spirited team performance in all three games .

UTB

No.
It's 1 relegation since Warnock.
He'd taken us down.
That's how valid your opinion is.
Sums up the pro Clough argument for me.

Ah, the potty mouthed one reappears

Don't forget, you owe an apology on the thread 'How are we managing to keep clean sheets without Doyle starting?', post #52

Calling a player scum is not on, no matter who they are. Doyle isn't the best player we've ever had, probably one of the less good if truth be told, but he didn't deserve to be called scum. Along with many other posters, I shared the sense of appalling lack of decency when you took Doyle to task by using that word. If you fail to return to that thread and offer an apology you'll never be viewed as anything than a thoughtless fool. If you doubt that, then return to that thread and read the comments specific to your atrocious post. It doesn't make for good reading.

Last edited:
If Murphy doesn't do the business as he did at Donny then I am not sure where the goal might come from.

McNulty? Done? Adams?

Oh, I forgot. They'll probably be on the bench. Until the 80th minute.

I'm only being slightly tongue-in-cheek. The Barnsley match, probably more than most, will be no place for indecision. It will demand 'shit or bust' from the first minute to the last. No tippy-tappy, going-nowhere football but a blood and thunder South Yorkshire derby.

I can confidently predict that Barnsley will comply. But will United? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well this thread was lumbering to an inevitable conclusion when this happened...

Ah, the potty mouthed one reappears

Don't forget, you owe an apology on the thread 'How are we managing to keep clean sheets without Doyle starting?', post #52

Calling a player scum is not on, no matter who they are. Doyle isn't the best player we've ever had, probably one of the less good if truth be told, but he didn't deserve to be called scum. Along with many other posters, I shared the sense of appalling lack of decency when you took Doyle to task by using that word. If you fail to return to that thread and offer an apology you'll never be viewed as anything than a thoughtless fool. If you doubt that, then return to that thread and read the comments specific to your atrocious post. It doesn't make for good reading.

To be fair I don't know miserable any better than anyone else but trying to extract an apology for something that happened on another thread appears a bit off.

Regarding Clough no surprises that we all fall into two camps. Sack him now and keep him on. Some wild assumptions made about him wasting money in my opinion. Blokes in his first full season with us. Personally think he gets this season and into next. You keep sacking managers it's unlikely things will improve. New manager will have to strip out the old and get new in and there is no guarantee they will get that right. Then in less than a full season people want the next bloke out and another new one in. Then we go round again......blah......blah......blah.

I agree it would be madness to sack Clough at this stage but what would be the point of giving him three or four month into next season before judging our progress ? He did great for us last season but that was last season, he started this season with a clean slate. He had all summer to sort out the striker problem and had five central defenders at the start of the season for one reason or another we now have one a young kid with dodgy knees and very limited experience, he failed to address the problems at both ends of the pitch. Despite the numbers we are weaker in midfield too, bringing more players in who are no better than what we have already and others on the treatment table constantly does nothing for the team. He spent over £1.5 million on a full back for Christ sake, every other manager in league one would have built a full team with that money. Do we really want more of the same next season ? Do the board trust him with yet more money for bang average players or crocks. Is he going to change or are we destined to have a team of ex Derby and Blackpool rejects supplemented by kids from Scotland. Whether we get lucky in the play off's or not a lot of questions need answers and nothing at all suggests to me that Nigel can give us the answers so for me he has to go at the end of the season.

I agree it would be madness to sack Clough at this stage but what would be the point of giving him three or four month into next season before judging our progress ? He did great for us last season but that was last season, he started this season with a clean slate. He had all summer to sort out the striker problem and had five central defenders at the start of the season for one reason or another we now have one a young kid with dodgy knees and very limited experience, he failed to address the problems at both ends of the pitch. Despite the numbers we are weaker in midfield too, bringing more players in who are no better than what we have already and others on the treatment table constantly does nothing for the team. He spent over £1.5 million on a full back for Christ sake, every other manager in league one would have built a full team with that money. Do we really want more of the same next season ? Do the board trust him with yet more money for bang average players or crocks. Is he going to change or are we destined to have a team of ex Derby and Blackpool rejects supplemented by kids from Scotland. Whether we get lucky in the play off's or not a lot of questions need answers and nothing at all suggests to me that Nigel can give us the answers so for me he has to go at the end of the season.

In fairness we haven't had a striker since Ched went into clink unless you count Blackman who was sold at the first sign of profit. In the defence we had Harry who was sold.

So the pieces have either been missing since before Clough or were sold last summer. Doesn't mean we shouldn't have done something about it by now of course but there's no guarantee someone new will do anything apart from another set of misfits who we change the end if the next season and on and on and on.

Well this thread was lumbering to an inevitable conclusion when this happened...

To be fair I don't know miserable any better than anyone else but trying to extract an apology for something that happened on another thread appears a bit off.

Regarding Clough no surprises that we all fall into two camps. Sack him now and keep him on. Some wild assumptions made about him wasting money in my opinion. Blokes in his first full season with us. Personally think he gets this season and into next. You keep sacking managers it's unlikely things will improve. New manager will have to strip out the old and get new in and there is no guarantee they will get that right. Then in less than a full season people want the next bloke out and another new one in. Then we go round again......blah......blah......blah.

Briefly, you might find it a bit off, but there's no other option when MiserableBlader doesn't/won't appear on the thread in question. If he were to post a thread on said thread then I'd happily address this there. As it is, he's been visible on the forum several times since making the comment about Doyle but won't go near the thread in question, so he's failed to respond to my posts and those of the many other posters who have commented ruefully on his truly dreadful character assassination of Doyle. I suppose it's a case of whether you consider it a good thing that someone on here refers to a player employed by the club as scum. As I've said, Doyle may not be a particularly good player, but no one deserves to be called that word.

Briefly, you might find it a bit off, but there's no other option when MiserableBlader doesn't/won't appear on the thread in question. If he were to post a thread on said thread then I'd happily address this there. As it is, he's been visible on the forum several times since making the comment about Doyle but won't go near the thread in question, so he's failed to respond to my posts and those of the many other posters who have commented ruefully on his truly dreadful character assassination of Doyle. I suppose it's a case of whether you consider it a good thing that someone on here refers to a player employed by the club as scum. As I've said, Doyle may not be a particularly good player, but no one deserves to be called that word.

Oh I don't but we all hold strong opinions on all manner of shit let's be fair. I'm sure he/she can anewer for themselves but it doesn't do the board as a whole anu good trailing issues from other threads around like shit on your shoe

Dive over to the general section and you'll see all manner of views and counters that go beyond scum.

Anyway my point was it changed the direction of a lumbering thead so perhaps it's a positive :)

We have had 7 games in march 6 in which we have scored 1 goal per game losing 3 of those games its obvious why we dont win many games we rarely have kept clean sheets we either win 1-0 draw 1-1 or lose games in the last few vital minutes weve obviously got to put our chances away and defence needs to somehow find better concentration levels

I can see it certainly has us divided, I would struggle to suggest someone who we would get in to do a better job
I would suggest the vast majority of managers in league one would do a better job if they were fortunate enough to have Clough's resources to play with you only have to look at Bristol City same as us last season struggling then get a new manager and picked up like we did both teams on good runs till we whooped em 3-0 at the lane. Now look where both teams are now. Cotterill a decent league one manager but certainly no Jose Mourinho had to sell his best player like we did but they replaced their loss and brought in a few quality players we are still scuffling about not knowing our best eleven and playing full backs as central defenders. They already have the JPT in the cabinet and stand 23pts ahead of us with seven games to go before they add the League One trophy to the collection. Says it all to me about Clough.

Back
Top Bottom