Will we be up for it?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

DanOundogg

Tails never fails
Reaction score
It's looking likely that we'll have a good run of form and make a late surge for Automatic, but probably just fall short.
Do you reckon everyone will be up for Play-Offs?? Last time against Yeovil you could just feel that we wern't going to do it,
14,000 crowd, scraped a 1 - 0, then just offered nothing in 2ng leg.
Think we'll get 25,000 plus?, even sell out? Is there enough belief?

I think it feels different this season, i think even if we don't get Automatic we'll do it in Play-Offs.

It's looking likely that we'll have a good run of form and make a late surge for Automatic, but probably just fall short.
Do you reckon everyone will be up for Play-Offs?? Last time against Yeovil you could just feel that we wern't going to do it,

I think it feels different this season, i think even if we don't get Automatic we'll do it in Play-Offs.

Am always an optimist, a clapper, but there's a long way to go yet

Think, and hope, you're right Danny. We've certainly got a better squad than in recent years. I know we could do with strengthening up front, and definitely in central defence, but if everyone's fit then we have as good a chance as any other play-off contender. The last couple of games McNulty has impressed, so my usual pragmatism has been bolstered, what with Done offering a great goal threat. So c'mon you Blades, there's a big prize that awaits us.

We can't possibly go into a playoff with as little hope or momentum as we took into Yeovil. If our campaign had been an animal it would have been put into a sack and chucked into the canal.

But neither will we go into a playoff with anything other than that familiar sense of bracing for impact.

Don't have hope going in, it never ends well, but don't be negative. Let's just see what happens and enjoy it.

I think the cup runs have given the team good experience which should stand us in good stead for knock out games - whether lady luck is going to smile on us or continue pissing in our beer is another matter.o_O

I think the cup runs have given the team good experience which should stand us in good stead for knock out games - whether lady luck is going to smile on us or continue pissing in our beer is another matter.o_O
Definitely, but it's unsettling to put up 2 good performances against Tottenham and then crash out against Preston. football is hard to predict but Sheffield United is something else ;) UTB

I will not go. I think that will be the turning point. I've been to every big game since 1961 and we've lost them all, so I think I'll do United and myself a favour!!!!

I don't want Preston or Swindon personally in the semi final.
Obviously you get who you get and you have to beat 2 of the other top 6 teams to get promoted.
Mk or Swindon would be awkward to play against if they took advantage at wembley.
Long way off from that yet hopefully we can keep the unbeaten run and get better at defending set pieces x

We all know what happens in the play offs. Doubt I'll be at wembley, doubt even more if I'll bother with the semis either.

Autos or nothing for me

I fear that's setting up for a fall though.

It may be, but in the playoffs the players need the fans to be positive and up for it. I can't help but fear the negative "we're going to lose again" attitude from the fans would transmit to the players. We even saw a bit of that at Rochdale when our fans decided to shit themselves after they got one back.

No matter how many we lose, I'll always go into the next one thinking we're going to do it.

They do say you can judge a team by the center forward, center half, and goal keeper....................... Oh shit !!!!!! :rolleyes:
Judge the strength of the team by the subs bench....McNulty, Adams, Reed& Freeman...The Blades are going up, the Blades are going up:)

A positive mindset will be a big factor.

We've lost so many - it must be our turn.

As someone else has said, if the crowd get nervy that can transmit itself to the players. If we get to the play-offs (one game at a time, and all that) then it's up to us as well as them.

(Though more them.)

United will be promoted this season and heres my belief why it will happen. When United confirmed promotion in 1982 I was holidaying in Bridlington, in1984 I was away in Bridlington again, in 1989 I was on a fishing trip to Whitby, in 1990 unable to get a ticket for Leicester I was on a day trip to Scarborough and in 2006 I was on the North West coast of Scotland. So every time United have confirmed promotion during my adult life I have not been at the game, but I have been at every miserable play off defeat bar Yeovil away. I have either been on the East Coast or in Scotland. This year on the final two weekends of the season, Orient away and Chesterfield at home I shall again be on the North West Coast of Scotland and the day of the play off final I am on holiday in Filey on the East Coast, so no worries promotion is assured one way or the other :rolleyes:

United will be promoted this season and heres my belief why it will happen. When United confirmed promotion in 1982 I was holidaying in Bridlington, in1984 I was away in Bridlington again, in 1989 I was on a fishing trip to Whitby, in 1990 unable to get a ticket for Leicester I was on a day trip to Scarborough and in 2006 I was on the North West coast of Scotland. So every time United have confirmed promotion during my adult life I have not been at the game, but I have been at every miserable play off defeat bar Yeovil away. I have either been on the East Coast or in Scotland. This year on the final two weekends of the season, Orient away and Chesterfield at home I shall again be on the North West Coast of Scotland and the day of the play off final I am on holiday in Filey on the East Coast, so no worries promotion is assured one way or the other :rolleyes:

Grand, enjoy the holiday. Can I have your Orient ticket then, SampyLad? :)

I'll do both legs but will avoid Wembley like the plague. I said I wouldn't watch another Play Off final after the Burnley game then ended up going to the Huddersfield one. Think we'll do it this time but the pub seems a better option to me

It does feel different. I think our squad is marginally better this time ;)

Squad v Yeovil:-
Sheff Utd: Long, Westlake, Maguire, Collins, Hill, Murphy, McDonald, Doyle, Robson (McFadzean 31), Porter (Whitehouse 90),Kitson (Ironside 74).
Subs Not Used: Coyne, Higginbotham, Chapell, Barry
Attendance 15,262

I might go to Wembley again if only for the reason that I have eventually, after so many trips there, found a really good curry house (albeit veggie) on the High Street so fuck the result - I can have a good cuzzer with Ken Jnr and a few beers before sodding off back the the Midlands in a despondent mood. Every cloud, eh?

Lets face it, IF we are in the play offs and IF we make the final anything is possible, even promotion ..................:)

One thing that will affect the mindset I think is the difference between the anticlimax of being in the automatics and slipping back into the playoffs and the anticipation in making the playoffs from below on the back of a good run.

Against Yeovil we'd just seen our star striker banged up for rape, our form collapse and the pigs take our automatic spot. We had to suffer their celebration in town and the manager and tactics were under fire. I can't think of a worse situation in which to go into the Play Offs.

Even then, we beat Yeovil at home and a decent away performance would have taken us to Wembley where I think the passion might have returned. It will be different this time. We'll definitely be up for it, even if we miss automatic by a single point.

After the second leg against Yeovil I walked out of the pub and left my phone on the bar. When I was half way home I realised I didn't have it, and considered going back to the pub for it. After due consideration I thought "Ah fuck it, I don't care" and went home and went to bed.That's my only memory of the game. Did McFadzean score? I don't even remember the result. 2-0? 2-1?

Against Yeovil we'd just seen our star striker banged up for rape, our form collapse and the pigs take our automatic spot. We had to suffer their celebration in town and the manager and tactics were under fire. I can't think of a worse situation in which to go into the Play Offs.

Even then, we beat Yeovil at home and a decent away performance would have taken us to Wembley where I think the passion might have returned. It will be different this time. We'll definitely be up for it, even if we miss automatic by a single point.

After the second leg against Yeovil I walked out of the pub and left my phone on the bar. When I was half way home I realised I didn't have it, and considered going back to the pub for it. After due consideration I thought "Ah fuck it, I don't care" and went home and went to bed.That's my only memory of the game. Did McFadzean score? I don't even remember the result. 2-0? 2-1?

You're getting the seasons mixed up. We played Yeovil in our second season after Danny Wilson was sacked and Morgan took over.
The first season (the one you mention in your first paragraph) we got beat by Huddersfield at Wembley :(
Wish I could forget it all though!

Back
Top Bottom