wilder tactics

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

blade67

Reaction score
does anyone know if Wilder has a preferred method of play ?

Perhaps those Cobblers fans who've been stalking us could provide some light.

is he a committed 1-4-4-2 :) or perhaps a modern 4-2-3-1 ?

interesting to see how this might affect recruitment

Northampton fan told me a few days ago he uses 4-2-3-1 but with a lot of pace

pretty sure there's a thread on this knocking about somewhere already

I have to say that I wasn't adverse to our 3 - 5 - 2 last season at times, but you need the right players to play it. The defenders need pace and there has to be at least one evil, totally dominant, fu**ing nasty, take no prisoners CH in amongst them; which of course we didn't have and still don't have.

You also need pace upfront which we didn't have and still don't have ......

UTB & FTP

Plays with plenty of grit and determination and all the players having a right good go for each other.

I have to say that I wasn't adverse to our 3 - 5 - 2 last season at times, but you need the right players to play it. The defenders need pace and there has to be at least one evil, totally dominant, fu**ing nasty, take no prisoners CH in amongst them; which of course we didn't have and still don't have.

UTB & FTP
Juventus and on occasion Bayern do this really well.

Juventus ticket all of the boxes you mentioned. 3 fast CH (Chilelini, Barzagli, Bonnucci), Nasty CM's (Marchisio, Pogba), not tonnes of pace going forward though, however the do have pace on the wings which probably makes up for it.

UTB & FTP

You ought to be a manager

Juventus and on occasion Bayern do this really well.

Juventus ticket all of the boxes you mentioned. 3 fast CH (Chilelini, Barzagli, Bonnucci), Nasty CM's (Marchisio, Pogba), not tonnes of pace going forward though, however the do have pace on the wings which probably makes up for it.

Their centre halves are quick and Marchisio and Pogba are nasty?! Being nasty is the main part of Pogba's game then?

None of the centre halves are that quick but they know exactly what they are doing defensively - individually, collectively and in that particular formation. So much so that they can defend deep for long periods with no problem at all. The midfielders above all else are quality footballers, especially Pogba who's an absolute maestro. He's not a nasty player at all but no doubt his physicality intimidates opponents - that skillful AND that tall, quick and strong. Not fair is it!

3-5-2 is a formation I'd like us to have the option to play. In fact it would be my preferred option if we had the right players for it. I don't expect to see it next season though. And as long as what we go with works, I don't care.

Their centre halves are quick and Marchisio and Pogba are nasty?! Being nasty is the main part of Pogba's game then?

None of the centre halves are that quick but they know exactly what they are doing defensively - individually, collectively and in that particular formation. So much so that they can defend deep for long periods with no problem at all. The midfielders above all else are quality footballers, especially Pogba who's an absolute maestro. He's not a nasty player at all but no doubt his physicality intimidates opponents - that skillful AND that tall, quick and strong. Not fair is it!

3-5-2 is a formation I'd like us to have the option to play. In fact it would be my preferred option if we had the right players for it. I don't expect to see it next season though. And as long as what we go with works, I don't care.

Their defenders are pretty rapid especially considering 2 of them are the wrong side of 30.

Pogba has a nasty streak in him... luckily for Juve they rarely have to defend so they can just throw 7 players forward leaving the 3 at the back.

Marchisio has a bad tackle (hammond esque if you will) in him too. Hammond usually has to commit these because hes slow AF and Marchisio because hes so far forward.

I do like the concept but because its a rare formation and players at this level aren't as talented as the elite players I think it will be very difficult to assemble a group of players suited to the formation then even harder to get the team organised and familiar with it across 5/6 pre-season games.

4231 all the players were pretty much 6ft.

The team has a strong divide between attacking and defending. When they attack it's with the front 4 and two full backs.

When they defend its everyone behind the ball and press.

4-2-3-1.

How can we man it with current players ( not transfer listed)

(Long if he signs)

Brayford ? Basham Brooks

Reed Whiteman

Done Scougall Adams

Sharp

Subs: McNulty Calvert-Lewin

Maybe we aim to sign up to 11 players if we can unload the seven transfer listed players.
I can't help but feel K.Wallace and Flynn would be beneficial to the squad and to achieve just a bit more continuity for the time being. Both have potential upside in their careers too.

Back
Top Bottom