Wilder/Knill and unbeaten runs

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Slim Man

Reaction score
Just what is it with them and these long unbeaten runs?

26 unbeaten with Northampton last season and after a bad start to the season he's now onto (at the risk of jinxing it) 10 unbeaten with us.

I think we have enough to know about Wilder as a manager now so just what is it that stops him from losing games?
Is it the scouting of the opposition?
Is it the tactics of the duo?
Good disciplinary record meaning we're not left short?
Fitness?
Reading of the game?
Attitude of the players?

Or is it a mixture of all of the above?

Whatever it is, he seems to have a medicine thats bringing the good times back to the club. My grandad, after 7 years away has purchased a ticket for this saturday. I'm sure there are plenty more like him.

What you're doing Chris, Alan - keep it up. I couldn't be more thankful for putting the smiles back on faces at Bramall Lane. People looking forward to saturday rather than dreading it, believing rather than hoping, trusting rather than chastising, attacking rather than defending.

There'll be a statue of the man if he keeps it up, I've no doubt of that :)

My grandad, after 7 years away has purchased a ticket for this saturday. I'm sure there are plenty more like him.
What you're doing Chris, Alan - keep it up. I couldn't be more thankful for putting the smiles back on faces at Bramall Lane. People looking forward to saturday rather than dreading it, believing rather than hoping, trusting rather than chastising, attacking rather than defending.

Much as I'm sure you're Granddad is a top bloke Danny, I can't see them putting a statue of him in the car park just for going to a few home games :confused:

There is no secret... he does his job well...

He probably does the basics exceptionally well and then trust others to theirs' to the expected standard holding them accountable if they don't.

The proof is now if he can maintain this over the course of a season and overcome bad patches in the same way he did after the first few games.

26 unbeaten with Northampton last season and after a bad start to the season he's now onto (at the risk of jinxing it) 10 unbeaten with us.

I think we have enough to know about Wilder as a manager now so just what is it that stops him from losing games?
Fitness?
Reading of the game?
Attitude of the players?

Whatever it is, he seems to have a medicine thats bringing the good times back to the club. My grandad, after 7 years away has purchased a ticket for this saturday. I'm sure there are plenty more like him.

I would probably say all of the above, along with the main driver of passion. Wilder is our first manager in many of years, probably back dating to Warnock or Adams that has had the passion to manage the club and it makes a real difference because he wants to especially well with it being his home team, whereas I think Adkins for example just came for the job and the payment, and this was shown in players performances. This for sure, has had an knock-on affect to the players and their overall performances.

Either way, I am glad with the way things are going and I have excitement to go to games, which has not been the situation for myself over the past few years. Let's hope that the good ran can continue, and that Wilder can maybe break his unbeaten record from last season of 26 games for Northampton... hopefully adding to that.

With regards to a statue, I think that would be a little to far. Have Leicester even got one out there of Ranieri?

Fitness?
Reading of the game?
Attitude of the players?

He must be a good manager as he has done well everywhere he has been. With us I think its a mixture of his professionalism (and Knill) but added to his obvious passion about the club that is driving him. Maybe he puts in that little bit extra because it is HIS club - who knows ? Just glad we are at last looking like we can play and get results and maybe JUST MAYBE we can keep it going right to the end this time instead of the false dawns we have had under the previous managers over the last 6 years!

When I listen to Wilder he instantly commands my respect. It sounds silly but he talks common sense.

The impression I get from him is that he demands high standards from his players, but that he is also very fair. If someone has a bad game but is a big name, he drops them.

If I was a player, it's that fairness and honesty that would drive me to do better. As a squad player I would believe I have the chance of getting into the team if I kept performing behind the scenes.

First of all he signs players with good mentalities rather than just saying he will. He doesn't make unnecessary changes to the team. Then I think it's a case of him being straight and honest with the players, them respecting that and knowing what's expected of them. I think he maintains a high intensity and keeps them motivated. Genuine competition for places also helps.

we've had half decent squads before , the trick is getting them functioning , together as a unit
having good individuals is fine , but teams win titles not individuals ,
what a good manager does is instill the team ethic better than other squads are doing
Wilson was very close , but no cigar

I think the key to his long runs is not letting the opposition score more than us.
It's much more than that though! It's not letting the opposition score more than us in consecutive matches.

That's the beauty of his unbeaten runs.

we've had half decent squads before , the trick is getting them functioning , together as a unit
having good individuals is fine , but teams win titles not individuals ,
what a good manager does is instill the team ethic better than other squads are doing
Wilson was very close , but no cigar

Disagree on Wilson, I think he achieved precisely what you describe, and had circumstances not transpired we would have finished that season on 93 points at least and been promoted. I'm not sure many managers would have lifted that squad for those last 3 games.

Disagree on Wilson, I think he achieved precisely what you describe, and had circumstances not transpired we would have finished that season on 93 points at least and been promoted. I'm not sure many managers would have lifted that squad for those last 3 games.
II said he was very close
but shit happens

It's elements of all of the above, but the role that the right mentality plays can never be underestimated. Even players who lack the technical fortitude or attributes can be bumped up several notches if they fully apply themselves. That's why Freeman and Coutts have been transformed since last season, that's why Scougall is in arguably the richest vein of form of his career so far.
We've also added players to the squad who are not only better than what we had last season, but are also consumate professionals unlike what we had for the most part last season.
If nothing else we have a team that I can believe in again.

Both used to stand on the Kop as fans, as did Wilder.

I wonder if there was a time when they were all on the kop together, at the same bar or pie stand perhaps.
That's a possible picture for Pete Mckee

Reactions: Dkc
I have just messaged him.
I would buy one... Anyone else?

It's all because, like the man himself postulated, there is absolutely no fanny in proceedings.

Lot of warnock in him ( best bits) nobody trusted warnock in the premier league so how do you think wilder andknill will do in the premier league with us in 2/3 years?

Reactions: Dkc
It's all because, like the man himself postulated, there is absolutely no fanny in proceedings.

Same could be said for Adams. He was in the same mold as CW but he failed.

I've said this before, but it could be argued that if we'd stuck with MA after relegation we'd not have spend the next five seasons in League One. But few managers survive a relegation, and there was a lot of anger at the time for his failure to stop the rot.

A lot of people blamed his tactics. Personally I think that we'd probably still have gone down if we'd tried to play the ball on the ground, as we didn't have the players to play our way out. People forget that Speed was also a poor manager for us. He left us one point above the relegation zone when he took the Wales job. Adams had time to get us out of it but didn't have money to spend.

Both used to stand on the Kop as fans, as did Wilder.

I wonder if there was a time when they were all on the kop together, at the same bar or pie stand perhaps.

At the bogs!

As far as a statue, only when we've won the Prem 5 times in a row, are champions of Europe and are fielding 11 internationals week in and week out. Don't get too carried away mate.

Hard work. I bet he's put some right hours in. To get excellence you have to put the graft in. He'll tell that to the players and they'll believe him because he'll be the first in and last out every day. He leads by example and he'll have many stories he can tell about players much more talented than him who didn't have much of a career because they weren't prepared or able to put the necessary work in.

He has a plan and a vision. He knows what he wants and is clear on how to achieve it.

They're the keys to success. Obviously he's got the technical knowledge, knows how to coach and how to recruit but he won't cut corners. If it means staying up all night reading scouting reports and watching videos of players, he'll do it. If it means working 24/7 until he sorts out whatever problems he thinks we have; he'll do it. That's why people pay attention when he speaks.

When I listen to Wilder he instantly commands my respect. It sounds silly but he talks common sense.

The impression I get from him is that he demands high standards from his players, but that he is also very fair. If someone has a bad game but is a big name, he drops them.

If I was a player, it's that fairness and honesty that would drive me to do better. As a squad player I would believe I have the chance of getting into the team if I kept performing behind the scenes.

You say he's fair but a measure of how fair he really is will come this Saturday .

Basham had a really good game on Saturday and scored a goal . Combine this with another good showing at Shrewsbury last week too .

Now , will he be starting on Saturday ?

You say he's fair but a measure of how fair he really is will come this Saturday .

Basham had a really good game on Saturday and scored a goal . Combine this with another good showing at Shrewsbury last week too .

Now , will he be starting on Saturday ?

I don't know the answer to that, but I don't think it would be unfair to drop Basham (as much as I like him).

O'Connell has been outstanding and and offers more balance to a back three than Basham does, assuming EEL plays.

I think on this one, whatever decision he makes can be called 'fair'.

A better example of what I mean is Dean Hammond. Adkins unfairly played him every week despite his inept performances. Whereas Wilder signed Hussey, realised he wasn't performing and dropped him. That's fair.

It's because CW is a Blade. Yes, yes that shouldn't count for much (certainly didn't for Adams who, despite some on here praising him, was a piss-poor manager in his time here - Win% 16.67.) Lest we forget:

It took three months before he achieved his first win. The victory came on 8 March 2011 (his fourteenth game in charge), as his side came from behind to beat Nottingham Forest 2–1. Sheffield United were relegated to League One at the end of the season, finishing six points short of safety. Adams and United parted company after a meeting with owner Kevin McCabe. McCabe stated that he wished to initiate a "clean sweep at the top and start afresh"; whilst Adams said that whilst he was "very, very disappointed with the decision... I am a Blade and will always be a Blade." Link

Yes, and I'm a Blade, but I'm not a football manager. Ditto Warnock. I enjoyed (most of) his time here but a Unitedite? He's only a fan of himself.

No, it's looks obvious that CW kept a close eye on United even when he was living/employed elsewhere (as most of us would). This enabled him to take just four games to make massive changes to the squad - both in and out - something that plums like Adkins never mastered. The latter kind of manager is fond of using phrases like 'blank canvas', 'everybody will get their chance'. Trouble is, half the fucking season has been wasted while he's fannying about. Having been out of the game for six months, time moves on, contacts are lost etc. An understandable 'mini blip' in CW's first few games has been turned into a ten-game unbeaten run and, at last, it seems that we've got a good 'un.

Sure there'll be wobbles along the way, but I'm confident that even if we lost three on the trot, CW would soon right the ship.

Hard work. I bet he's put some right hours in. To get excellence you have to put the graft in. He'll tell that to the players and they'll believe him because he'll be the first in and last out every day. He leads by example and he'll have many stories he can tell about players much more talented than him who didn't have much of a career because they weren't prepared or able to put the necessary work in.

He has a plan and a vision. He knows what he wants and is clear on how to achieve it.

They're the keys to success. Obviously he's got the technical knowledge, knows how to coach and how to recruit but he won't cut corners. If it means staying up all night reading scouting reports and watching videos of players, he'll do it. If it means working 24/7 until he sorts out whatever problems he thinks we have; he'll do it. That's why people pay attention when he speaks.
Do you know him personally? Serious question.

Do you know him personally? Serious question.
No, but a long time ago I worked with someone who did. Some of it is assumption based on observing a lot of successful people. The one common factor is hard work and dedication and I've seen enough of Wilder and heard enough about him to believe he's hard working and dedicated, almost obsessive.

I'm guessing there's one or two on here that know him, are you one and if so, am I right?

Reactions: Dec

Back
Top Bottom