Why we are Blades

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

sitwell

Big member
Reaction score
Anyone ever seen this before ? I must admit its the first time Ive come across this explanation.

'Initially, the club's nickname was taken from the steel produced in Sheffield and turned into cut-throat razors. These were the stock tools of the local barbers and the practice of swathing cuts from shaving with crepe bandages gave the club their traditional red and white striped shirts. It was from this that the nickname of "The Bleeds" was taken and which, in the fullness of time, has been transmogrified into "The Blades" of current usage.'

From a Tottenham website.
Transmogrified ? eh ?

Fascinating stuff sitters....'The Bleeds', a little known punk band?

Trouble is, although it has the ring of authenticity, it's as if someone has tried just a little to hard to give it provenance. Interesting all the same.

An interesting take on the name, utter bollocks , but worth a shot
wardonia razor Blades factory supplied half the club members mmm blades wonder where it came from

Tottenham got their name hotspurs from a passing cowboy whose horse wouldnt stop and he used his heels to brake , when he dismounted he had hot spurs on , and it stuck

Our nickname in the late 1920's and early 1930s were "The Bing Boys". The supporters club wanted us to have a new nickname not long after Bing Crosby became famous and we had paper headlines calling us Bing Boys rather than Blades. Thankfully the awful nickname never caught on and we were Blades again!

Our nickname in the late 1920's and early 1930s were "The Bing Boys". The supporters club wanted us to have a new nickname not long after Bing Crosby became famous and we had paper headlines calling us Bing Boys rather than Blades. Thankfully the awful nickname never caught on and we were Blades again!

Well we were never going to be "the Bling Boys" were we? That must be ......Tottenham, West Ham or Chelsea?

Anyone ever seen this before ? I must admit its the first time Ive come across this explanation.

'Initially, the club's nickname was taken from the steel produced in Sheffield and turned into cut-throat razors. These were the stock tools of the local barbers and the practice of swathing cuts from shaving with crepe bandages gave the club their traditional red and white striped shirts. It was from this that the nickname of "The Bleeds" was taken and which, in the fullness of time, has been transmogrified into "The Blades" of current usage.'

Transmogrified ? eh ?

Hmmm… I thought Blades was a nickname for any Sheffield team back in the day. So the red and white stripe explanation would become spurious.

A little suspect to me... If anyone had ever actually seen anything with "The Bleeds" on I'd believe it though.

Transmogrified ? eh ?

This isn't true. If you track it through the press in our early years, Wednesday and United were both called the Blades, and United also the Cutlers and the Junior Blades, but when Wednesday moved to Owlerton they became the Owls in the press (which many of their fans didn't like) and we were the only Blades.

I don't know exactly when Wednesday changed their nickname to the Pigs...

Back
Top Bottom