Why did they change it?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bert

Reaction score
Night matches kicking off at 7.45 instead of 7.30.

15 minutes for half time instead of 10.

Teams running out together instead of opposition first, then the Blades.

Matches finishing at twenty to five - time enough to walk to the car, set off and be well on the way before the Sports Report theme played.

I still get Pavlovian hunger pangs every time I hear the music - it meant it was approximately ten to tea.

Bert used to be able to get to his Gentleman's Club by 10.30.

1. Gives you more time to get from work, to home and out again in the age of ridiculous traffic.
2. Poor lambs need a longer rest, won't belong before we're at 3x30 minute periods with 20 minutes between each one.
3. Fucking outrage. Nothing better than hurling abuse at the away team before giving the lads a stirring welcome.

and don't get me started about "introducing the teams" and shaking hands down the line. Pathetic.

I always get the impression that the more well off a family is, the later it eats its tea - that's why ex-public school people call it 'supper'. Anyway, does moving night matches later coincide with the middle-classification of football - I believe that happened after Italia 1990?

I'd be interested to hear when Saturday matches used to kick-off before they installed floodlights?

Bert, BERT wake up, are you old enough to remember?

Bert used to be able to get to his Gentleman's Club by 10.30.

didn't think they had "spearmint rhino" clubs when games kicked off at 7.30. ;)

Rotherham always kicked off at 7.15 in those days - always wondered why.

UTB

Yep. The opportunity to sing "what the fucking hell is that?" as the opposition run into the pitch us sadly missed.

UTB

I always get the impression that the more well off a family is, the later it eats its tea - that's why ex-public school people call it 'supper'. Anyway, does moving night matches later coincide with the middle-classification of football - I believe that happened after Italia 1990?

I have "dinner". And a "tea" earlier if I can. And a bit of "supper" before bed Don't know what class that makes me, but it's certainly made me a fat bastard of whichever class.

didn't think they had "spearmint rhino" clubs when games kicked off at 7.30. ;)

Rotherham always kicked off at 7.15 in those days - always wondered why.

UTB
Hes on about Jack the Ripper time (stripper) in his local working mens club.

I always thought they changed the evening k.o. times after Hillsborough, to give people more time to get in.

Gives the home fans a lift as there's more chance of the opposition's last train being cancelled?

I thought it started with FIFA and the the UEFA European Champions league because the TV Stations wanted it because of news programs and adds

I always thought they changed the evening k.o. times after Hillsborough, to give people more time to get in.

This may well be true they definitely changed it to 7.45 the season after the Hillsboro disaster.

I remember us playing promotion chasing the games in the 3rd division at 7.30pm (Port Vale game) which was the season of the disaster and the following season chasing promotion from division 2 with 7.45 kick offs (Watford game)

This post made me wonder a bit about the history of kick-off times in general, evening matches and half-time duration so I had a bit of a google. Ignore this post if you aren't particularly interested in the history of the game as its a bit on the long side.

Half time duration

* The half-time interval existed before 1896 because an FA Cup Rule of that year says, “THE interval at half-time shall not exceed five minutes, except by special permission of the Referee”

* 1906: The FA decided “Players have a right to an interval of 5 minutes at half-time.” Reason not given, but believed to allow players a breather.

* 1919: Another FA decision – “Referees must observe the Regulation that the halftime interval must not exceed 5 minutes, except with their consent, which is only to be given in exceptional circumstances.”

* 1961: An IFAB Decision stated “Players have a right to an interval at half-time.”

* 1995: “Halftime interval not to exceed 15 minutes” One reason recognized that dressing rooms were sometimes ‘a long way from the field,’ but a more practical view is that coaches wanted more time to have injuries treated and to confuse their players with more tactical mumbo-jumbo. Also, top players need more time to fix their hair and makeup for TV.

* 1997 to now. “Players are entitled to an interval at half-time. The halftime interval must not exceed 15 minutes. Competition rules must state the duration of the half-time interval. The duration of the half-time interval may be altered only with the consent of the referee.”

* 2009. FIFA considered extending half-time to 20 minutes. http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/feb/22/fifa-half-time-extension

Kick-off time for matches

Even before the days when matches were scheduled at various times across a whole weekend and into the following week to accommodate the likes of Sky, there were all sorts of weird and wonderful kick-off times.

Before floodlights afternoon kick-off times varied geographically and seasonally. Some of this was to do with light, and some to do with economics. Floodlights didn't come in until the late 1950's. The pressure on the Football Association to allow floodlit football came both from sources outside of football as well as football clubs themselves. The ravages of WW2 meant that companies, which had previously been content to allow workers to take time off to go to afternoon matches during the week, needed all hands on deck and the FA eventually dropped their total ban in 1950, although they maintained their reservations against their use.

Before floodlights in the summer months 3pm was the kick off time until the clocks went back then it varied but a 2.15pm K.O was common. Replayed FA Cup matches were usually played on Wednesday afternoons to coincide with half day closing. The last one of these I could find was Norwich v Swindon in December 1958 but there may well be others.

Arsenal aren’t necessarily a good guide to other teams, but it looks like they shifted their kick off by date –
Arsenal v Blackburn, April 3rd, 1948 – 3pm
Arsenal v Villa, Sep 11th, 1948, 3:15pm
Arsenal v Wolves, Sep 25th, 1948, 3pm
Arsenal v Birmingham, Nov 6th 1948, 2:45pm
Arsenal v Newcastle, Nov 20th, 1948 – 2:15pm
Arsenal v Hudd. Town, Dec 18th, 1948 - 2:15pm

Others in winter had early kick offs too
Derby v Rotherham, Nov 20th, 1954, 2:30pm
Leyton Orient v Brighton 27th Dec, 1954, 2:15pm
Sunderland v Cardiff City, 17th Dec 1954, 2pm

It's well known that until the early 1960s Millwall, initially nicknamed The Dockers, was allowed to kick-off at 3.15pm to allow the workforce at the nearby docks to finish their morning shift and get to the match on time. Similarly, Plymouth Argyle also used to kick off at 3.15pm in order to allow dockers who finished at 2pm to enjoy a pie and a pint on the way to the game.

Newport County had a similar arrangement, kicking off at 3.15pm in the afternoons, but also scheduling evening games early at 7.15pm to allow steelworkers to go straight to their night shift after the game.

Sometimes kick-off times were rearranged for teams' travelling arrangements. Torquay United's third round FA Cup tie against Spurs in 1965 kicked off at 2.45pm to ensure the visitors were able to get the last train back to Paddington. Our recent evening games with Peterborough have had different start times for transport reasons.

Torquay have a history of unusual kick off times. In the 1965-66 and 1966-67 seasons, the club put matches back on Grand National day to avoid clashing with the big race. They also started late on Easter Saturday in the hope that tourists visiting the coastal resort may be tempted to come along to the games. An increase in attendances encouraged the club to extend the experiment for Saturday night football at the start and end of each season to attract the holidaymakers who had spent the day on the beach.

Manager Frank O'Farrell also felt it was also a chance for parks footballers to see the games. "The Saturday evening kick-offs help the local amateurs who can enjoy their own matches in the afternoon and still take in a visit to Plainmoor," he explained in one match programme. The Saturday evening matches at Torquay carried on until the mid 1980s.

Friday night football has been popular among certain clubs for many years in order to avoid clashes with other Saturday afternoon events. Tranmere Rovers have been regularly devotees of Friday night football in order to avoid clashing with Liverpool and Everton home games, while Southend United, Swansea, Colchester United and Stockport County have also been known to kick-off a day early.

There was a return to the pre-floodlit days during the 1973-74 season when strikes led to the introduction of the three-day week restricting the use of electricity. All matches, including mid-week matches, had to kick-off at 2pm to avoid the use of floodlights. This was not entirely without problems – the 1973 Newcastle United v Birmingham, Texaco Cup tie went to extra time and had to be abandoned after 10 minutes of extra time due to the fact that the ground was in almost total darkness. Similarly a Yeovil cup tie replay had be abandoned in extra time when it got too dark to continue playing.

Sunday football

Sunday football arrived relatively late and was also a product of the floodlight restrictions during the Miners’ Strike. Previously Football League sides did not play on a Sunday and in fact the law of the land prevented them from charging admission if they were to play on the Sabbath. Sunday January 6th 1974 was the historic day which saw four FA Cup Third Round ties played, the first match on a Sunday being the Cambridge United v Oldham match which kicked off in the morning.

The way the clubs got around the law of the land, The Sunday Observance Act (of 1780), which prevented an admission charge being made for football matches was basically a fiddle. Admission was free but you needed to buy a programme to get in (programmes cost differing amounts depending on what part of the ground you wanted to enter).

Spot on, kid.

It's a well known fact that Bill Gates has his tea 4 months after he was supposed to.

With the old set up, often at 915 we'd be drawing nil nil and settling for a point but now it gives us another 15 minutes to get that vital winning goal! UTB

This post made me wonder a bit about the history of kick-off times in general, evening matches and half-time duration so I had a bit of a google. Ignore this post if you aren't particularly interested in the history of the game as its a bit on the long side.

Half time duration

* The half-time interval existed before 1896 because an FA Cup Rule of that year says, “THE interval at half-time shall not exceed five minutes, except by special permission of the Referee”

* 1906: The FA decided “Players have a right to an interval of 5 minutes at half-time.” Reason not given, but believed to allow players a breather.

* 1919: Another FA decision – “Referees must observe the Regulation that the halftime interval must not exceed 5 minutes, except with their consent, which is only to be given in exceptional circumstances.”

* 1961: An IFAB Decision stated “Players have a right to an interval at half-time.”

* 1995: “Halftime interval not to exceed 15 minutes” One reason recognized that dressing rooms were sometimes ‘a long way from the field,’ but a more practical view is that coaches wanted more time to have injuries treated and to confuse their players with more tactical mumbo-jumbo. Also, top players need more time to fix their hair and makeup for TV.

* 1997 to now. “Players are entitled to an interval at half-time. The halftime interval must not exceed 15 minutes. Competition rules must state the duration of the half-time interval. The duration of the half-time interval may be altered only with the consent of the referee.”

* 2009. FIFA considered extending half-time to 20 minutes. http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/feb/22/fifa-half-time-extension

Even before the days when matches were scheduled at various times across a whole weekend and into the following week to accommodate the likes of Sky, there were all sorts of weird and wonderful kick-off times.

Before floodlights afternoon kick-off times varied geographically and seasonally. Some of this was to do with light, and some to do with economics. Floodlights didn't come in until the late 1950's. The pressure on the Football Association to allow floodlit football came both from sources outside of football as well as football clubs themselves. The ravages of WW2 meant that companies, which had previously been content to allow workers to take time off to go to afternoon matches during the week, needed all hands on deck and the FA eventually dropped their total ban in 1950, although they maintained their reservations against their use.

Before floodlights in the summer months 3pm was the kick off time until the clocks went back then it varied but a 2.15pm K.O was common. Replayed FA Cup matches were usually played on Wednesday afternoons to coincide with half day closing. The last one of these I could find was Norwich v Swindon in December 1958 but there may well be others.

Arsenal aren’t necessarily a good guide to other teams, but it looks like they shifted their kick off by date –

It's well known that until the early 1960s Millwall, initially nicknamed The Dockers, was allowed to kick-off at 3.15pm to allow the workforce at the nearby docks to finish their morning shift and get to the match on time. Similarly, Plymouth Argyle also used to kick off at 3.15pm in order to allow dockers who finished at 2pm to enjoy a pie and a pint on the way to the game.

Newport County had a similar arrangement, kicking off at 3.15pm in the afternoons, but also scheduling evening games early at 7.15pm to allow steelworkers to go straight to their night shift after the game.

Sometimes kick-off times were rearranged for teams' travelling arrangements. Torquay United's third round FA Cup tie against Spurs in 1965 kicked off at 2.45pm to ensure the visitors were able to get the last train back to Paddington. Our recent evening games with Peterborough have had different start times for transport reasons.

Torquay have a history of unusual kick off times. In the 1965-66 and 1966-67 seasons, the club put matches back on Grand National day to avoid clashing with the big race. They also started late on Easter Saturday in the hope that tourists visiting the coastal resort may be tempted to come along to the games. An increase in attendances encouraged the club to extend the experiment for Saturday night football at the start and end of each season to attract the holidaymakers who had spent the day on the beach.

Manager Frank O'Farrell also felt it was also a chance for parks footballers to see the games. "The Saturday evening kick-offs help the local amateurs who can enjoy their own matches in the afternoon and still take in a visit to Plainmoor," he explained in one match programme. The Saturday evening matches at Torquay carried on until the mid 1980s.

Friday night football has been popular among certain clubs for many years in order to avoid clashes with other Saturday afternoon events. Tranmere Rovers have been regularly devotees of Friday night football in order to avoid clashing with Liverpool and Everton home games, while Southend United, Swansea, Colchester United and Stockport County have also been known to kick-off a day early.

There was a return to the pre-floodlit days during the 1973-74 season when strikes led to the introduction of the three-day week restricting the use of electricity. All matches, including mid-week matches, had to kick-off at 2pm to avoid the use of floodlights. This was not entirely without problems – the 1973 Newcastle United v Birmingham, Texaco Cup tie went to extra time and had to be abandoned after 10 minutes of extra time due to the fact that the ground was in almost total darkness. Similarly a Yeovil cup tie replay had be abandoned in extra time when it got too dark to continue playing.

Sunday football

Sunday football arrived relatively late and was also a product of the floodlight restrictions during the Miners’ Strike. Previously Football League sides did not play on a Sunday and in fact the law of the land prevented them from charging admission if they were to play on the Sabbath. Sunday January 6th 1974 was the historic day which saw four FA Cup Third Round ties played, the first match on a Sunday being the Cambridge United v Oldham match which kicked off in the morning.

The way the clubs got around the law of the land, The Sunday Observance Act (of 1780), which prevented an admission charge being made for football matches was basically a fiddle. Admission was free but you needed to buy a programme to get in (programmes cost differing amounts depending on what part of the ground you wanted to enter).

Bert likes this

Half time duration

Sunday football

I remember from my childhood Torquay often being an evening kick off (E) in the classified results check but never thought to question why. I now wonder why they stopped doing it?

Back
Top Bottom