Who's improved?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bladesince59

Reaction score
Forgetting about Adkins' signings; tactics; formations; substitutions and relationship management; which player(s) have actually shown consistent improvement over this season ?

Do you really think Adams has shown consistent improvement. IMO he has gone backwards.

Most definitely. Not that he's the finished article yet, far from it.

But he's had to be nursed through personal crises & his own youthful waywardness, as well as being developed as his growing body shape has significantly altered.

Along with Long's own more clear cut development, it's one of the very few things I'd give Adkins credit for over this past season.

The only player in my opinion is young Whiteman.

Due to work I have had the fantastic opportunity to attend a good few U21 games and I have thoroughly enjoyed them. Whiteman has been fantastic in the reserves set up and I feel that I have sort of watched him become a footballer over night if you get what I mean? His all round game play has improve tenfold and I can see him maturing into a fantastic player given time.

I can see why he is there or there abouts with the first team based on what I have seen on him the season.

Long and Adams.

I was expecting a bit more from Reed this season but for whatever reason that has not happened.

Long, Adams, ... Erm... Erm...

Yep, that's your lot.

Narrow Pathway for Youth. Wide as hell Pathway for Ageing Mediocrity.
The Pathway must pass Hutcliffe Wood Road,although he did put Whiteman back in Saturday.
Difficult to see past Long as players who've improved..I'll give him Adams..marginally.

Finishing
Composure
Impact
Team play
Inspiration
Awareness
Anticipation
Trickery
Pace
Guile
Nastiness
Swagger
Giving a fuck

He's far from the finished product but someone put his starts/goals up the other day which were better than last year and a clear sign of his impact on games improving.

He's also very young.

I feel with a strong midfield behind him, we'll see a big difference next season.

Attitude ? Fitness ?

None of them . He has stood still IMO with his football brain . He still cannot spot situations before others or make them happen . The difference being a good player or a superstar. Kid is a asset but requires love , care and attention to help improvement . Also if has owt between them ears , he will want to learn and become a finished article.

UTB

Adkins mentioned in his post match interview that we have to keep building, but there's not a lot to build on in my opinion.

Looking at the current first team, and guessing Adkins will keep the same formation:

Long
Baptiste Edgar McEveley
Basham Coutts Hammond Flynn Done
Sharp Adams

• In goal I reckon Long will sign a new contract and keep going as first choice.
  • Centre halves - I think Baptiste will be either too expensive or unavailable for loan next season
  • Edgar - Not impressed by him and think we should look for better. He's had a pretty comfortable position lately, sweeping up behind Baptiste and McEveley who've challenged opponents more
  • McEveley - Criticised far too much, but I think he's past his best and would not offer him a new contract.
  • Basham - Playing as a wide target man like Jostein Flo has seen him do well in some matches, while offering very little in others. Not a long term answer in this position
  • Coutts - Will be around next season. Good at some things, poor at others. Too many players like this makes it difficult to compose well-balanced, strong elevens week in, week out.
  • Hammond - It won't be easier for him to hide his lack of pace next season and I will be disappointed if Adkins is allowed to sign him.
  • Flynn - out of contract. A versatile and useful squad player, but I wouldn't offer him a new deal.
  • Done - Like Basham, just filling in at wing back. Average in this position.
  • Sharp - Has done pretty well, but Adkins struggles to find the ideal partner for him. The lack of an aerial threat has been evident in plenty of games (like yesterday). If we sign an old fashioned target man, pace will become a problem.
  • Adams - I think he has very good potential, but he's been inconsistent. Must be careful about not bulking up too much. Clough forbid weight training for him. Has Adkins done the same?

Youngsters - not sure Adkins is very keen on any of them.

long - definitely a better keeper than 12 months ago
K Wallace - looked a decent prospect till injured
Che - has improved loads
Might stretch to McGahay on the basis that he's gone from out of his depth to decent cover

that's your lot unless you start including kids like DCL and Whiteman.

Who's Improved

The squad over the last twelve months?
As an individual to warrant a new contract or an extension of his current one?
But not at the rate expected twelve months ago?
Our squad but isn't our player, though we should try and sign for next season?

Those players from the first team/U21 who haven't.
Time to say "Thank You & Good Luck".

At 19 its no surprise at all that Adams is still 'raw'. Loads of improvement can and I think will come. He will score more next season do doubt about it.

Adkins mentioned in his post match interview that we have to keep building, but there's not a lot to build on in my opinion.

Looking at the current first team, and guessing Adkins will keep the same formation:

Long
Baptiste Edgar McEveley
Sharp Adams

• In goal I reckon Long will sign a new contract and keep going as first choice.
  • Centre halves - I think Baptiste will be either too expensive or unavailable for loan next season
  • Edgar - Not impressed by him and think we should look for better. He's had a pretty comfortable position lately, sweeping up behind Baptiste and McEveley who've challenged opponents more
  • McEveley - Criticised far too much, but I think he's past his best and would not offer him a new contract.
  • Basham - Playing as a wide target man like Jostein Flo has seen him do well in some matches, while offering very little in others. Not a long term answer in this position
  • Coutts - Will be around next season. Good at some things, poor at others. Too many players like this makes it difficult to compose well-balanced, strong elevens week in, week out.
  • Hammond - It won't be easier for him to hide his lack of pace next season and I will be disappointed if Adkins is allowed to sign him.
  • Flynn - out of contract. A versatile and useful squad player, but I wouldn't offer him a new deal.
  • Sharp - Has done pretty well, but Adkins struggles to find the ideal partner for him. The lack of an aerial threat has been evident in plenty of games (like yesterday). If we sign an old fashioned target man, pace will become a problem.
  • Adams - I think he has very good potential, but he's been inconsistent. Must be careful about not bulking up too much. Clough forbid weight training for him. Has Adkins done the same?

Spot on with that fella.
Keep five then tops nothing's changed since this time last year only the manager.

Long and Adams certainly. Coutts and Kieran Wallace probably, though the former has still been very poor in my opinion. McGahey, though looking better, has had far too few games to really judge.

I'm not including Basham as I don't think his performances have been anywhere near the consistent effective stint at centre-half last season. The rest have stayed as they were. A number of others have gone backwards.

if

Long
Baptiste Edgar McEveley
Sharp Adams

we keep that formation i predict rioting by the end of September

Back
Top Bottom