Who's caught your eye most so far?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ilovesufc

Reaction score
Who out of all the new signings stands out most for you pre season so far? For me McGahey looks quality, I'd start him with Collins and see how they get to on the first few games. Harry proved to us that been being so young isn't necessarily a problem & he is certainly not going to be a pushover physically. Getting games under his belt at this level too could be really good for him.

Alcock, judging by Tuesday and a small cameo role last night

Can't see any of the new faces replacing any of the team that ended the season last year apart from Harry/CoadyBrayford.Will any of the newbies replace any of the existing squad with the exception of the 3 that aren't with us anymore?

I think that Basham will be the next Bob Booker and our new star centre half from Blackpool McGahey will adequately replace whatsisname who went to Hell City, whatever his name was.

Not forgetting the promise of young Mr Reed.

I know he isn't really a new signing but young Reed has really impressed me. I have only seen him live twice (Rotherham last season and last night against the so called Turkish champions ) but he doesn't play like someone who just turned 17 last week or even look out of place in the midfield position, his pass last night for Porters goal was class. I really hope he gets a crack this season. He isn't the finished article but I would prefer him to Doyle to start

IMO - impressed with JCR's work rate and ability to take on a man. Basham impressed v Hudds, involved all over the pitch, gets to the ball quick and linked well with Wallace for what time they had together v Fenerbache. Alcock looks like he will be a reliable right back (albeit not with as much attacking flair as The Beard). McNulty needs more game time to gel with the team. I think McGahey looks to be a good buy, can see him forcing his way into the team (even if clough starts with the more experienced Collins/Butler). Butler looks strong but his distribution v Fenerbache was very poor at times, not as comfortable on the ball as both HM's. Have to mention Reed who gave us a very solid mature performance and Diego De Girolamo, looked sharp and lively when he came on, hope he stays fit as I am sure he will get game time from the bench and hopefully bag us some goals.
UTB

Due to work circumstances and some personal stuff going on at the moment, I haven't seen any of the pre-season games this year which in view of the new signings we've made, i'm gutted about.
However, there are some encouraging comments about both the new players and the old guard on this site from most of you who've been to the games.

We've a week to go. Next Friday evening, it's bye-bye Canary Wharf, hello Sheffield.

New season, new pitch, new ticket office, new players,(new striker please??) new kit.

I cant wait. :)

Having been in hospital for 2 weeks. I have not seen any of the pre season, but has Wallace played. Yet, if so how has he done.

Next season for that one mate, to be honest I thought the current one looked a bit patchy against Fener. Next year I think for the fancy one.

Cheers ZMW. As my old dad would have said "A good lawn?? Get some watter on it, and then watter it some more"

:eek:

Having been in hospital for 2 weeks. I have not seen any of the pre season, but has Wallace played. Yet, if so how has he done.
Wallace made his first appearance against Fenerbahce as a substitute and tbh it wasn't a bad cameo,some good touches from him and looks very composed,he will be one of our main players if he stays fit imo.

Who out of all the new signings stands out most for you pre season so far? For me McGahey looks quality, I'd start him with Collins and see how they get to on the first few games. Harry proved to us that been being so young isn't necessarily a problem & he is certainly not going to be a pushover physically. Getting games under his belt at this level too could be really good for him.
Only seen Thursday night's game so far but thought McGahey looked very assured on and off the ball for an 18 year old.
He didn't seem to mind having the ball on the edge of our own box and always looked for an outlet instead of hoofball.
McNulty worked hard without reward and will benefit from having someone a bit quicker to support him.
Agree with the opinions about Basham. Taller than I expected and will be a big hit this season I think.
Butler did get turned a few times but he won't be facing quality like that in league 1 and think he will improve for a good
run in the side. The star of the night for me was Louis reed and I wouldn't be afraid to throw him in from the off on the
evidence of this performance. I know he is slight on stature but his energy and use of the ball more than makes up for this.
Overall plenty to look forward to.

Last edited:
Wallace made his first appearance against Fenerbahce as a substitute and tbh it wasn't a bad cameo,some good touches from him and looks very composed,he will be one of our main players if he stays fit imo.
Won the ball twice with strong tackles, something we needed since Monty left us

Chris Basham caught my eye today for how completely useless he was, didn't run, didn't tackle, didn't pass, offered nothing going forward, offered no cover for the defence, isn't a creative player, isn't a ball winner and didn't appear to be much of a leader.

I'm not sure what scenario there is where Chris Basham is the type of player a side needs, he's tall, he points a lot, but he doesn't seem interested in actually touching the ball. For his performance against York we could have just erected a 7 foot pole in the centre circle, painted a 6 and an armband on it and it would have contributed as much as Basham.

Hopefully Basham bashing doesn't become a regular thing this season, but he's not much of an inspirational leader.

McGahey and Reed have both looked excellent and would get into my first XI's for next week.

McGahey and Reed have both looked excellent and would get into my first XI's for next week.
McGahey cost us today and looks a little error prone. I think any chance of a starting place was blown today.

UTB

McGahey cost us today and looks a little error prone. I think any chance of a starting place was blown today.
Listening to Clough's post match interview he felt McGahey played well today and seemed very impressed with him besides the mistake for the goal. He also went on to say that the starting 11 he was planning for Bristol City has definitely changed based on today. So I wouldn't completely rule out a place for McGahey in the starting 11.

Back
Top Bottom