Whinge

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadly_D'Jaffo

Reaction score
David Weir: took a new look side and got them to play some patient, short passing football but got sod all in terms of results. Relegation zone.

Nigel Clough; took a new look side and has got them playing organised, often direct football but is picking up results. Play-Off place.

Now if you're still unhappy with what's going on at Bramall Lane (for example, sarcastic overuse of the term 'game changing') don't you feel just a bit silly?

We'll it's really bizarre. The performances are rubbish, let's not beat around the bush here, we've been rubbish. I wasn't there tonight so can't comment first hand but the commentary and stats suggest an awful performance for 80 minutes.

BUT we're winning games. So I don't know what to think really. We haven't actually played well yet. Does that mean we'll continue to put in poor performances and get results? There hasn't even been a 20 minute period where we've been really good. I don't know if we can keep this up, but can't complain about being 5th at this stage though for sure. Would still like a striker, but pretend I never said that for the purpose of the thread.

In any competition, you have to watch out for the teams that peak early. The recent World Cup for example, Germany started with an efficient performance/result against a poor/10 man Portugal and then struggled with Ghana, but they went through the gears when they had to as the tournament progressed. I sense a similar trend with us at the minute. We've started underwhelming but we can also attribute a lot of that to a new look team and squad.

There hasn't even been a 20 minute period where we've been really good.

Preston game was great. West Ham 2nd half was great. The signs are there, we're just struggling to click into gear. BUT, we're 6th and haven't really got out of 2nd gear so we have a good few more gears to go at.

This time last season we had 3pts from 7 games. Were out of the League Cup and had scraped past League 2 Scunthorpe on penalties in the JPT. Yet we finished 7th. This division is garbage. And we are less garbage than pretty much 95% of the other garbage teams in it.

12 months on..

6th in the league. 13 points. 3 points off 2nd. A game in hand on the teams above us. 3rd RD of League cup after knocking out a premiership team.

I'm struggling to find the fire.

We're capable of defending well, we're capable of decent attacking, passing football and we showed last night, totally against the run of play, that we can score more than 1 goal in a game. It must be as frustrating for Clough as it is for the rest of us that we haven't clicked for a full game yet we are where we are in the League, in a good position having played a few of the top teams already.

He keeps saying we're not there yet which gets a bit monotonous but he's right, we haven't got a fully fit squad and he hasn't had the chance to play his preferred, best XI yet. Can we get better or is this it, time will tell but given the form and consistency last season when we had a pretty settled team, I'd like to think we can still kick on from here.

I'm convinced that Clough is building a squad to win this league. As you say, it's not always pretty but it's pretty effective. Looking at last nights starting line up it was a big change from Saturdays line up but we got the win, albeit in a very unusual fashion but we went away, scored three goals and grabbed three points. There are obviously concerns and whilst the season is less than a quarter in, we need to be cautious in our optimism, but we're sitting within touching distance of the top two.

IMO Cloughie is treating matches like most managers would treat pre-season friendlies. He has his squad of players and he continues to rotate these players in the starting line up, in various positions with different formations. He shows some concern but
doesn't seemed overly phased by performances or results.

Over time and with all players fit he will decide what is his best Xi.

Last season it took him until February before he started to consistently get things right.

Three goals away from home and we are still harping on about needing a striker. That's why most of us were never good enough to make a living out of the game.

We're winning games (even if we've mugged them) we would have rolled over and lost this time last season, we haven't hit much collective good form yet. That's big progress.

We don't need to be flying high in the top two, get a decent striker in after the end of this month which enable us to possibly sign in January and things are on the up.

I honestly believe after a settling season in the Championship we will see some significant investment.

Three goals away from home and we are still harping on about needing a striker. That's why most of us were never good enough to make a living out of the game.

You're right, Higdon, Porter and McNulty will score the goals we need to take us up. No need to sign anyone else,

You're right, Higdon, Porter and McNulty will score the goals we need to take us up. No need to sign anyone else,
Weren't we top of the form tables for the last third of last season? Goals can be scored, games can be won and promotions can be achieved without the fabled 20-goal-a-season-striker.

Weren't we top of the form tables for the last third of last season? Goals can be scored, games can be won and promotions can be achieved without the fabled 20-goal-a-season-striker.

I tried to say exactly the same TonyAgana a few weeks ago, but what came back was how wrong this was. If we have a forward who gets 17 or 18, another who gets 15-ish, and then we have input from other areas of the team it could well be the thing that gives us an edge. Yes, we do need to score, not arguing with that, but I think there's an obsession with a messiah figure who'll be the one to make us certainties for promotion. If the team as a whole represents goal threat then it makes life incredibly difficult for an opposing defence. Of course, if we find someone who can deliver upwards of 20 goals this season then I'll be as happy as Larry, I just don't want us to be reliant on whoever that might be.

I tried to say exactly the same TonyAgana a few weeks ago, but what came back was how wrong this was. If we have a forward who gets 17 or 18, another who gets 15-ish, and then we have input from other areas of the team it could well be the thing that gives us an edge. Yes, we do need to score, not arguing with that, but I think there's an obsession with a messiah figure who'll be the one to make us certainties for promotion. If the team as a whole represents goal threat then it makes life incredibly difficult for an opposing defence. Of course, if we find someone who can deliver upwards of 20 goals this season then I'll be as happy as Larry, I just don't want us to be reliant on whoever that might be.
The Messiah Will Come Again

I think the point is the we need a couple of strikers capable of bagging more than 15 a season - not the half a dozen we are used to

We're winning games (even if we've mugged them) we would have rolled over and lost this time last season, we haven't hit much collective good form yet. That's big progress.

We don't need to be flying high in the top two, get a decent striker in after the end of this month which enable us to possibly sign in January and things are on the up.

I honestly believe after a settling season in the Championship we will see some significant investment.

Given the signs this season, the Championship is no longer a division where you can expect/rely on moderate sums being spent. Fulham spent £11mil on Ross McCormack, which, although not typical of the usual Championship transfer fee, shows what a club with parachute payments can do.

First, let's get in the Championship and consolidate our position there, then we can look forward to moving forward. UTB

Given the signs this season, the Championship is no longer a division where you can expect/rely on moderate sums being spent. Fulham spent £11mil on Ross McCormack, which, although not typical of the usual Championship transfer fee, shows what a club with parachute payments can do.UTB

Looking at the stats that works out at a cool £11 million per goal at the moment.
They must be the strongest team in the division too.

...cos they are holding all of the others up . . Bwhahahahahahahaha

I think the point is the we need a couple of strikers capable of bagging more than 15 a season - not the half a dozen we are used to

In complete agreement Ken, think I said as much in my post mate. Not worried about specific figures, just as long as we win enough games to secure promotion. And yes, I know goals will make the difference, just as long as our defence is resolute and mean when it comes to keeping the opposition at bay.

I liked the post up until the bit above.The sentiments are great,and i know we're a long way off and shouldn't get ahead of ourselves,but the problem is if we were to get promoted,there is no way we would get away with not investing in this team,in the first season back at Championship level like you're making out.We would have to invest to stay in it,never mind waiting until we've had a settling season at Championship level before we invest,this just wouldn't work.We would be back in league one before we knew it.

I liked the post up until the bit above.The sentiments are great,and i know we're a long way off and shouldn't get ahead of ourselves,but the problem is if we were to get promoted,there is no way we would get away with not investing in this team,in the first season back at Championship level like you're making out.We would have to invest to stay in it,never mind waiting until we've had a settling season at Championship level before we invest,this just wouldn't work.We would be back in league one before we knew it.

Absolutely, isn't the Prince on a 5 year mission ;)

There's loads of goals in that squad. Once Wallace, Scougs are fully fit, Flynn and Murphy start playing the way did last season and Jose, JCR and Harris continue as they started off I cannot see any reason why we shouldn't be scoring goals for fun.

I realise it's third tier football but there is the opportunity for this to be the most exciting squad we have had in years.

I hope Ched comes back. But if its HIgdon, MCnulty or Porter I don't think we will have a problem with the aforementioned supplying the chances and weighing in with a few themselves.

In any competition, you have to watch out for the teams that peak early. The recent World Cup for example, Germany started with an efficient performance/result against a poor/10 man Portugal and then struggled with Ghana, but they went through the gears when they had to as the tournament progressed. I sense a similar trend with us at the minute. We've started underwhelming but we can also attribute a lot of that to a new look team and squad.

But a lot of teams start poorly and get worse. It's too early to talk about trends! Just because it's 40 degrees outside, that doesn't mean global warming is real ;)

Maybe there's something in the "think Liverpool" mantra.

They won tonight with a late penalty.

That's exactly the comparison I made on Tuesday. Watching the Brendan Rogers interview he pointed out that there were several new players in the team, it would take time to gel and '6 months ago, we'd have probably lost that game.' Sounds familiar.

We're all disappointed that we haven't picked up seamlessly from the end of last season, but no need to polarise opinions into 'clapper' or 'slasher'. It's how football works. You can spend squillions, but the end result is usually disappointment - just ask Arsenal (Ozil, Welbeck), Man. City (always going to be behind Bayern, Real etc.) or Chelski.

No.
How could we be when we could never beat any of the top teams?
Our best results in the league were Rotherham and Peterborough at home (the only times we did beat a 'top' team!) and were achieved when Clough was resting what he considered were our best players!!!
Clough's record put him 5th.
Presumably above Peterborough who collapsed after a great start.
In other words the same as Danny 'relegation' Wilson - who was sacked as a failure and for negative tactics !!! and boring performances.
At this time we were still undefeated! 16 games wasn't it?

FFS the 'game changer' was Weir. He wasn't a bad manager like all Judas's appointments - he was a F!!!king disaster who got every aspect of management wrong. Even Morgs could turn that around and did before Clough came in.

This team isn't in the same League as the one that came down so easily.
Only the keeper is an improvement onbthe disaster that was Simmo.
(and Ched will be older and better but I don't think will be here anyway!)

This team isn't in the same League as the one that came down so easily.
Only the keeper is an improvement onbthe disaster that was Simmo.
(and Ched will be older and better but I don't think will be here anyway!)
Very very true.

Back
Top Bottom