Where we are for season 2016/17

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

zablade

Reaction score
Having got though the last main pre season game before the serious stuff starts,and having seen the last two of them this is where I think we are going into the new season...

After the desperate finish to the Adkins reign I was seriously concerned we may be facing a relegation battle next season, those fears have been eased with what I've seen, we certainly looked more positive in the first halfs against both Grimsby and Derby, Fleck looks a great signing, thankfully Sharp looks good still, (I was a little worried last season could have been a last hurrah for him a bit like Cresswell) and the addition of Clarke from his cameo against Derby also looks like a major plus.

We have managed to ship out the failures such as the Macverlys and Hammonds which is also a major step forward.

On the other side of the coin we still need the no nonsense Morgan figure at the back, the Murphy replacement is still awaited and we are likely to lose Adams, an in and out figure but perhaps the one attacking option we have who can do that little thing a bit different.

What will happen next season is perhaps the most tricky one to predict in a while, what I suspect is a finish higher than last seaon, with more entertainment, but possibly missing out on a play off spot , or just scrapping in about sixth.

I think this is a two year project to challenge for promotion, but hopefully, fingers crossed, we are on the right track.

Wilder won't get 2 years. Some have wasted no time slating him already.

Unless we totally fuck up Weir style I think he will get two seasons at least.

I really don't think he will need it. I think what he's done so far should be applauded and just a few more pieces and we surely have just as much chance if not more than any team.

I have been of the opinion that Sheffield United not contending for automatic promotion form the Third tier is a failure...

However with the board we have I will give the manager some leeway and suggest contending for the playoffs Is not a bad effort.

Look, in light of where we finished last season and given the dross Adkins brought in and the cost of his year I think I am surprised we have brought in as many decent players as we have.
Most if not all of the signings are proven quality players in L1.

Sadly, the sale of Adams will pay for this....but at least the board have paid up front to get the team ready rather than insisting we sell and raise funds BEFORE we can sign anyone.
Small positive I know...but it's something.

I would like one more quality CB, and if I'm really greedy one more exciting and young talented Winger/midfielder to get the fans excited and give us that bit of special!
At the moment, when we settle down and the players gel I think we have a play off side at best. Get those 2 more and we will be challenging for autos.

I'm fairly positive...

A disputed penalty away from holding a club that has spent millions and will challenge at the sharp end of the championship. We really restricted them and defended well as well as attacking with more vigor than the entire of last season. I feel Wilder is making his mark on the squad.

I've liked what I've seen from the new signings too - we genuinely have addressed some glairing weaknesses in the side.

Hussy has a good cross and will provide a threat from left back we haven't had for a few years.
Fleck is proven to be a good player in this league and will provide some drive which we've missed - He and basham played well together today.
Duffy played well in that second half and hopefully will provide some creativity.
The centre backs, weren't really troubled.

Obviously on the flip side.

Che will be sold - so we could use some more pace in the squad.
We really need to get rid of a few of the Transfer listed players - maybe free up some money.
One new CB might come in handy - though I've like what I've seen of the new guys.

Think we are a couple short for automatic but we have 4/5 strikers all capable of double figures in the league, a couple of the better midfielders in the division from last year imo and an improved defence

I know I'm speaking slightly hypocritically here, but I honestly think Adkins was a one off we just had to get rid of, before he did any more damage. God knows how the squad would have looked by now with him at the steering wheel.

Not getting promotion from league one is always going to be a failure, but now we've got a manager that has his head screwed on, is a sound bloke, and we know is not a total buffoon, let's just give him the time he needs.

Adkins just wasn't the right fit for the club. Wilder fits like a glove.

Honest, direct and to the point, exactly what I and no doubt many others value immensely in a person.

I know I'm speaking slightly hypocritically here, but I honestly think Adkins was a one off we just had to get rid of, before he did any more damage.

If only Adkins was a one-off. Opinion is divided on Clough, Blackwell etc., but our utter failures recently include Robson, Adams and Weir.

Agree with your opinion of Wilder, though. Hopefully the slump has been arrested.

Back
Top Bottom