Where Did It All Go Wrong?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

robbiez666

Reaction score
When the Prince arrived with 'game-changing' investment, I think we all believed that we were going to be a club on up.

Several managers and much disappointment later (with a couple of cup run which Clough doesn't get enough credit for tbh) we find ourselves in a situation where 2016 is all about getting rid of players, having 50% academy players in the team and looking at the possibility of signing released players.

Only a couple of months ago we were told we had money to strengthen the squad and will be sending the Murphy money, yet now it's pretty obvious that the cupboard is bare.

With off the field antics, trouble at Board level, disruptive players at the club, expiring contracts, a manager seemingly failing and the alleged inability to perform a transfer successfully due to too many cooks, we seem to be on the edge of a precipice.

If we get on a run of bad results this season could go from bad to worse. The atmosphere at the club must be shocking and I can't see the players we have being able to survive in a relegation fight.

When I see quotes about needing to get the ball to Coutts and Baxter as they have real quality I want to cry.

I hope I'm wrong but I have a bad feeling about this.

When the Prince arrived with 'game-changing' investment, I think we all believed that we were going to be a club on up.

Several managers and much disappointment later (with a couple of cup run which Clough doesn't get enough credit for tbh) we find ourselves in a situation where 2016 is all about getting rid of players, having 50% academy players in the team and looking at the possibility of signing released players.

Only a couple of months ago we were told we had money to strengthen the squad and will be sending the Murphy money, yet now it's pretty obvious that the cupboard is bare.

With off the field antics, trouble at Board level, disruptive players at the club, expiring contracts, a manager seemingly failing and the alleged inability to perform a transfer successfully due to too many cooks, we seem to be on the edge of a precipice.

If we get on a run of bad results this season could go from bad to worse. The atmosphere at the club must be shocking and I can't see the players we have being able to survive in a relegation fight.

When I see quotes about needing to get the ball to Coutts and Baxter as they have real quality I want to cry.

Chill, yer wrong

I reckon that our club didn't prove to be the instant cash cow that the prince and his entourage thought it would be and now he has effectively lost interest.

We are an old, unloved toy lying in the corner of his palace.

Depressingly true.

I will be glad when we get to 54 points.

But I fear it will be just as bad if not worse next season, a lot of talk about a new team in the summer but I don't think we will have the funds to strengthen enough to challenge fo promotion.

Only a couple of months ago we were told we had money to strengthen the squad and will be sending the Murphy money,
I don't recall being told we would be spending the Murphy money.
I recall being told the money was available for the first team, but not that it would definitely be spent.

I recall being told the money was available for the first team, but not that it would definitely be spent.

Wasting your breath SJ. That fact has been pointed out so many times and it won't be accepted by those who don't want to see it because it doesn't suit.

I reckon that our club didn't prove to be the instant cash cow that the prince and his entourage thought it would be and now he has effectively lost interest.

We are an old, unloved toy lying in the corner of his palace.

The sales pitch was that we would get promoted. I think that's pretty much a given on how it was sold to him.

To be fair, I think any manager would have looked at us and thought he would get us promoted. Obviously he didn't do his homework. I always thought it took a long time to recruit him and maybe he did have doubts.

gosh - bet the Samaritans have been busy recently - seems to be quite a few manic depressives around

chin up - 2 more sleeps to the Blades playing again.............

UTB

Jim said that all the Murphy money will be reinvested in the first team. Now you could argue that it's paying Hammond's wages (if not Brayford's and Sammon's as well), but he actually came out and said we'd spend it all.

My favourite was when we'd won a few games and Coutts was being lauded as some sort of messiah. You know there's a lot of poor football being played when it's clouding fans judgements to that extent.

My favourite was when we'd won a few games and Coutts was being lauded as some sort of messiah. You know there's a lot of poor football being played when it's clouding fans judgements to that extent.

Same applies to players now playing in a Division below.
Anyone would think Portsmouth had signed Zidane and Ibrah (albeit on loan).

Jim said that all the Murphy money will be reinvested in the first team. Now you could argue that it's paying Hammond's wages (if not Brayford's and Sammon's as well), but he actually came out and said we'd spend it all.

"Would be made available for the first team" ?

"Would be made available for the first team" ?

Wasn't he pressed in a Radio Sheffield interview a few months ago and said it would all be re-invested in the first team? I have a vague memory of this.

Wasn't he pressed in a Radio Sheffield interview a few months ago and said it would all be re-invested in the first team? I have a vague memory of this.

Honestly don't know but I'm sure his original quote was "made available"

Maybe when your older Robbie the in built cynicism will have you looking at what's been said, thinking about it, dismissing the optimistic possibilities and thinking, Aaaah , I know what that's likely to mean.

That's the problem there. Statements like that are so ambiguous that the club can be sure they've told the truth, but lead to clearly higher expectations in fans' minds.

It's like "Game changing investment". In McCabe's world, he's thinking "you oiks don't realise BDTBL would have been flats without the Prince", whereas fans were always going to read it as "better days are just ahead".

UTB

That's a relief, we needed another recap on how shite things are! :eek:

Maybe when your older Robbie the in built cynicism will have you looking at what's been said, thinking about it, dismissing the optimistic possibilities and thinking, Aaaah , I know what that's likely to mean.
Yep, anyone who follows us should know that "Europe in 5 years" means we're doing a pre season tour of Norway in the closed season. :)

UTB

Don't worry, my cynicism is overwhelming but I'm just not used to having people on the Board who aren't stupid and know how to spin!

Building that new chuffin South Stand, nowt but a bloody white elephant.

what you didn't see in those drawings was a fuck off supermarket in the other side. Wouldn't surprise me. Get Tesco to pay for it and they can use the land on the cheap.

I remember signing "we're richer than you" to a team we played just after the takeover was announced.
Karma is a bitch!

How did you sign we're richer than you? Was it pretending to pull notes out of your pockets and smelling them?

Yep, anyone who follows us should know that "Europe in 5 years" means we're doing a pre season tour of Norway in the closed season. :)

UTB

Anyone who took that as a guarantee is an idiot. It was an ideal, a dream.
The problem is you'd think successful l businessmen would have some idea of their target audiences capabilities of actually understanding what was being said. No one at BL seems to understand the concept of ambiguity - or rather pretends they don't - and then wonders why fans kick off.

what you didn't see in those drawings was a fuck off supermarket in the other side. Wouldn't surprise me. Get Tesco to pay for it and they can use the land on the cheap.

How big are Tescos "fuck off " stores? Bigger or smaller then the Express ones?

Back
Top Bottom