Whatever happened to Darrell Bentley?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

JJ Sefton

Live, Laugh, Love
Reaction score
He was the squeaky voiced bloke who commentated on the club match and season review videos back in the 1980s. I think he was interviewed in the Life With the Blades video (the one that opened with Dave Kilner cavorting in Reg Brealey's bed) and he looked like the third Chuckle Brother. When I was a kid and I surged forward from right back to score (or blast it wide) it was Darrell Bentley's voice, not John Motson's, that I heard in my head. I've watched two match videos tonight, home games against Wolves and Bolton from 88/89, and the bloke is pure Partridge. "Phil Brown there for Bolton, no relation to the black runner..."

Remember his voice very well. I watched an episode of United the other day and he pops up in the fans episode doing commentary. No idea where he is today.

I must have Life With Blades in the loft somewhere. So bad it's good. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

It was his commentary of Peter Beagrie's two screamers against Hull that I remember. He made Jonathan Pearce sound like a church mouse!

When I was a kid and I surged forward from right back to score (or blast it wide) it was Darrell Bentley's voice, not John Motson's, that I heard in my head.

Funnily enough when I was doing the same on the opposite flank it was just team mates shouting "I was in space you greedy twat" that filled my head.

Bentley was an awful commentator but that's what made him appeal....can see him now in his fur coat pouring over Richard Cadette's goal stats

He has 2 standard was to describe goals.

'Yes and it's there....for United!'

or the massively different

'And there it is.'

Yeah, some quality (by quality, I mean amusing) commentaries from him, kept me chuckling whilst converting a lot of old stuff to DVD.

He was the squeaky voiced bloke who commentated on the club match and season review videos back in the 1980s. I think he was interviewed in the Life With the Blades video (the one that opened with Dave Kilner cavorting in Reg Brealey's bed) and he looked like the third Chuckle Brother. When I was a kid and I surged forward from right back to score (or blast it wide) it was Darrell Bentley's voice, not John Motson's, that I heard in my head. I've watched two match videos tonight, home games against Wolves and Bolton from 88/89, and the bloke is pure Partridge. "Phil Brown there for Bolton, no relation to the black runner..."

Was he the one who went "welcome to Brammar Lane" and had difficulty differentiating between Deane and Agana?

Back
Top Bottom