What would satisfy you?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Blade82

Reaction score
Keep it clean....

As a blade what would you deem success long term?

For me being a mid-table Premiership side with a chance of European football, but even then I think most of us would moan and want more.

Can a football fan even be satisfied, or is the frustration all part of the fun?

With their history, fan base and location how can we not strive to be a Leicster?
Tyler put a team on here that we could easily afford with the exception of two players.
We couldn't be further away from ever matching their accomplishments but we have all the foundations that they set out with.

Win the Championship and then tell the Premiership to shove their promotion, I'd even offer the place to the pigs instead its so crap.

"We're stay here, we'd rather defend this proper trophy"

Challenging in the top half of The Championship.

Looks light years away at the moment :(

We used to moan about that though. It's what got Blackwell the sack. The pigs may be giddy over a playoff spot but we were disappointed with it. Given where we are now, yes, we'd take a mid table championship finish but after a few years of that we wouldn't be content.

Just to get to the Premier League and subsequently secure our future as a club who will at least compete at the top end of the Championship.

The top end of the Championship is a good place to be. Not the pinnacle obviously and you always aim for more, but the prospect of promotion is actually more exciting than being in the PL itself and you know you're never far away from what could be considered to be the pinnacle, even more so with the newly promoted sides doing so well recently showing what can be done.

I'd say the pinnacle for us, barring a huge and incredibly uncharacteristic slice of Leicesteresque good fortune, would be establishing in the top flight, occasionally challenging the top 6/7, winning the odd cup competition and maybe getting to Europe.
But we'd probably even get bored of that, just like other clubs' fans do. Not as much as some because we have proper fans (unlike Hull for example) who could appreciate things more after all the shit, but it's natural to become accustomed to things very quickly.

Football is a cycle I guess. Look at the premiership, next season there could be 8 teams out of the 20 who have been in the 3rd tier at some point since 2000. At the other end there are 9 teams in the bottom 2 divisions this season who have been in the premiership. We're in a bracket of clubs who will forever be yo yoing. In my lifetime we've spent the majority in the championship so I see us at that level but we can dream eh.

Nothing satisfies in football, except promotions and trophies. The season after, it's a disappointment if you don't emulate it. That's why fans of so many clubs turn into arseholes after a season or two of punching upwards.

Simply getting out of this utter graveyard of a division is a necessity.
There's a complete lack of any enjoyment being here. Victories are expected and defeats are fucking embarrassing.

Becoming established in the second tier or beyond would be good. And before I die I would like a League or FA Cup triumph to witness.

Football fans will never be satisfied.
For example, Rotherham had two successive promotions and then last season fans on their forum were talking about wanting a new owner to take them to the next level. Tony Stewart had bought them when they were in dire straits and fans had been collecting donations from local clubs in the years prior to that. Despite getting them up to the Championship incredibly quickly and a brand new stadium which they are proud of, they still weren't satisfied. I can understand them hoping to get lucky and get promoted on the lowest budget in the league but I can't understand how ungrateful some (not all) were. Getting any further than where they are now should be considered a bonus because they aren't in a financial position to compete with most other clubs in the Championship.
I think even if we got mid table in the Prem we'd soon get bored and would be calling for the managers head even if he was outperforming realistic expectations.
Even Arsenal right now. They've won the FA Cup two years in a row and Wenger gets them into the Champions League year in year out despite working with much less money than the other top clubs. Their protests were an embarrassment in my eyes.
Fans will always want more.

Last edited:
Upper half or the Championship, winning more games than we lose, and with a tough but skillful team that attacked from the first whistle and entertained.

Would love us the be like Stoke in the long run, established upper Premiership team.

A single game in the Europa League qualifying would do me for the rest of my life.

Unfortunately it's harder than ever to qualify for Europe now. Aren't we the biggest club in Europe never to have played in Europe or summat?

Keep it clean....

For me being a mid-table Premiership side with a chance of European football, but even then I think most of us would moan and want more.

Can a football fan even be satisfied, or is the frustration all part of the fun?

Rofl

To start at the very beginning .......I would like us to be led by a board of directors and management team that understand what being a Blade is all about. People at the top that reflect us. A never say die attitude. A backs to the wall camaraderie. We truly are as one. Understanding our history and the struggle to get where we are.
In turn I would like to see a recruitment policy of players that puts these characteristics high on the very basic standards expected. No prima donnas. No Billy Big Bollocks.

I would like to see an academy led by the very best in youth development, a person who does not see their role as a stepping stone to higher management. This person is seen as an equal to the club manager.

I would like to see a BDTBL, full of passionate Blades return to a place where opposing fans love to visit because of the highly charged atmosphere but where opposing teams fear to come. I want us to travel in numbers to away matches and create an atmosphere on an away end that will make our players feel they are playing at home.

I want us to become a 'nuisance' team - a team that upsets the bigger clubs.

Where would I like us to be in the league rankings? TBH I'm not really fussed. I think becoming an established mid-table Premier league team leads to complacency. Just wonder if Leicester don't match the dizzy heights set this season it will lead to a few 'sack Ranieri' murmurings from the crowd. A la Stoke and Pullis, Newcastle and Sir Bobby, Bolton and Allardyce(?).

In essence if those across at S6 see themselves as Real Madrid I want us to be Atletico Madrid.

After 50+ years I would be satisfied with the above and in addition if we won the FA Cup.

No matter where we want to be or where we are happy to be, people will want more. At the moment we would all take survival in the Championship, then mid table, challenge for a play-off spot, top two etc...

Look at Arsenal, Champions League every year, FA Cup trophies but their fans want a PL title, from our point of view it's crazy that some gooners are moaning at Wenger but it's all relative to their position.

An established Championship club, competing in the top half would do me,

And it would be nice to win somat before I peg it, one 4th div title, and that `historic` Yorkshire & Humberside Cup victory in Scarborough in 88, is all I have to remember in my 38th year as a Blade.

As memorable as it was seeing Paul Stancliffe lifting that oversize trophy, it started to pour with rain, as if the gods said `fuck you Sheffield United`, and there was no cover on that away end at Seamer Rd.

Football fans will never be satisfied.
For example, Rotherham had two successive promotions and then last season fans on their forum were talking about wanting a new owner to take them to the next level. Tony Stewart had bought them when they were in dire straits and fans had been collecting donations from local clubs in the years prior to that. Despite getting them up to the Championship incredibly quickly and a brand new stadium which they are proud of, they still weren't satisfied. I can understand them hoping to get lucky and get promoted on the lowest budget in the league but I can't understand how ungrateful some (not all) were. Getting any further than where they are now should be considered a bonus because they aren't in a financial position to compete with most other clubs in the Championship.
I think even if we got mid table in the Prem we'd soon get bored and would be calling for the managers head even if he was outperforming realistic expectations.
Even Arsenal right now. They've won the FA Cup two years in a row and Wenger gets them into the Champions League year in year out despite working with much less money than the other top clubs. Their protests were an embarrassment in my eyes.
Fans will always want more.

And how long would we put up with all that Tippy Tappy football.

Knowing where to line up at half time with my beer voucher. After telling them every week to put a sign up.
Just Something to hope for .

To start at the very beginning .......I would like us to be led by a board of directors and management team that understand what being a Blade is all about. People at the top that reflect us. A never say die attitude. A backs to the wall camaraderie. We truly are as one. Understanding our history and the struggle to get where we are.
In turn I would like to see a recruitment policy of players that puts these characteristics high on the very basic standards expected. No prima donnas. No Billy Big Bollocks.

I would like to see an academy led by the very best in youth development, a person who does not see their role as a stepping stone to higher management. This person is seen as an equal to the club manager.

I would like to see a BDTBL, full of passionate Blades return to a place where opposing fans love to visit because of the highly charged atmosphere but where opposing teams fear to come. I want us to travel in numbers to away matches and create an atmosphere on an away end that will make our players feel they are playing at home.

I want us to become a 'nuisance' team - a team that upsets the bigger clubs.

Where would I like us to be in the league rankings? TBH I'm not really fussed. I think becoming an established mid-table Premier league team leads to complacency. Just wonder if Leicester don't match the dizzy heights set this season it will lead to a few 'sack Ranieri' murmurings from the crowd. A la Stoke and Pullis, Newcastle and Sir Bobby, Bolton and Allardyce(?).

In essence if those across at S6 see themselves as Real Madrid I want us to be Atletico Madrid.

After 50+ years I would be satisfied with the above and in addition if we won the FA Cup.

I couldn't help reading the first half of your post to the theme of the Dambusters :D

Keep it clean....

Yes: they can be satisfied in the short-term.
No: Long term = frustration....like most relationship's ;)

Actively competing for promotion to the Premiership = our natural level
Established Premiership club with designs on an occasional European place = Punching above it.

I used to dream of the latter (and believe it was possible), but nowadays see the former as Leicester-esque in its probability, so I'll settle for an occasional smile of anticipation when clicking the turnstile.

Doing better than the previous season is usually the marker for me to be satisfied as a blade. Although I wouldn't be thrilled by a 7th place finish next season but if we can get up and do a little better each year, I will be happy each year. When we start going backwards from the previous year(s) I will be concerned. WHen we have a number of consecutive years of regression (like now) I will be utterly pissed off.

From a starting point of 10th in L1, I would be more than happy with a quality Championship team with the odd flirtation with the Premier League.

It kills me every second week to watch shit teams arriving with no support ! Championship football will be so much more appreciated after being in probably one of the poorest leagues i have ever scene.

Pray to god it happens next season.

Not playing like a collection of strangers plucked from the street five minutes before kick off would be a fucking start. Players who give their all for the fans. We've had some proper journeymen come here who've been transformed into footballing demi-gods. Some of them would be a start.

Back
Top Bottom