What we need up front

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

@thelane

Reaction score
I know this divides opinion and everybody has their own views.......but do we really want / need Sharp?? , Or the likes of Winnall ( now at Barnsley )??
The answer is no. We are currently a team of skilful midgets, who have the quality but no physical strength to impose.
The person we need is a Craig Davies and I for one hope NC goes out and gets him.
Strong, big, can mix it when he has to, weighs in with a few goals, can hold the ball up and would be the perfect foil for Baxter, Scougall, murphy and Flynn.
Plus we can afford him and I think he would come.
Does anybody disagree?

I know this divides opinion and everybody has their own views.......but do we really want / need Sharp?? , Or the likes of Winnall ( now at Barnsley )??
The answer is no. We are currently a team of skilful midgets, who have the quality but no physical strength to impose.
The person we need is a Craig Davies and I for one hope NC goes out and gets him.
Strong, big, can mix it when he has to, weighs in with a few goals, can hold the ball up and would be the perfect foil for Baxter, Scougall, murphy and Flynn.
Does anybody disagree?

I would take Sharp or Craig Davies, I think they are better than what we have. Sharp played brill in donnys team for a while when they had several skillful 'midgets' as well. Then again Porter can play a similar sort of role to Davies tho rarely scores. I think we need a variety of players for different games and different moments. Im hoping McNulty comes good and even Diego De Geronimo perhaps. PS welcome to the forums.

Does anybody disagree?

Yes.

An even cheaper option would be to get Chris Porter some contact lenses and boots that are straight. Those curly ones he's been wearing the last 4 years don't help anybody.

product_81057_1_orig.jpg

Does anybody disagree?

Good points, thelane. While I think we have an abundance of talent and have shown we're capable of attacking from any angle, switch wings, absorb pressure until it's 'ripe' to counter attack etc. (a model Liverpool will be copying this season ;)), I feel we're a bit lightweight.

It's a hard old division and I hope we can add some steel and sheer physicality to what we've already got.

What is it with this fookin obsession at our club that seems to be wriiten in to our DNA that we NEED a brick shithouse of a CF ?

We dont.

It is not an essential part of the way we play. Evidence Baxter being employed up top last year.

Agree about Craig Davies on basis he is a decent footballer rather than said brick shithouse.

Please let's not go back to the dark days of Jostein Flo, Darius Henderson etc.

Football has evolved and we need to continue to evolve under Clough.

Which means we need a footballing CF not a neanderthal.

IMHO.

UTB

It all depends. In my opinion Brian Deane would be perfect in this team. Not that he was a brick shithouse, he was a lot more skilful than people gave him credit for. But he was strong and quick too. He didn't just stand around waiting to clobber someone, he got involved in the game. You don't have to be one thing or the other, as my aunt dave used to say.

Yes we have a few light weight players certainly in attack, but we still have players like Collins, Butler, Porter and Doyle who are all a physical presence.
If Sharp is possible I would love him here, he's not a lightweight lad and can hold his own up front if needed, I do like the idea of Davis as well, but regarding your views on the team I don't think we lack a physical presence on the field.

Yes we have a few light weight players certainly in attack, but we still have players like Collins, Butler, Porter and Doyle who are all a physical presence.
If Sharp is possible I would love him here, he's not a lightweight lad and can hold his own up front if needed, I do like the idea of Davis as well, but regarding your views on the team I don't think we lack a physical presence on the field.

Doyle would be a physical presence if only the other team would slow down long enough for him to catch up with play !!!

We need a football playing physical presence in this division or players simply get pushed off the ball and the poor quality referees at this level don't give fouls for it !! This is why baxter doesn't work upfront. Great skill, talented, but ineffective at this level.

UTB & FTP

What is it with this fookin obsession at our club that seems to be wriiten in to our DNA that we NEED a brick shithouse of a CF ?

We dont.

It is not an essential part of the way we play. Evidence Baxter being employed up top last year.

Agree about Craig Davies on basis he is a decent footballer rather than said brick shithouse.

Please let's not go back to the dark days of Jostein Flo, Darius Henderson etc.

Football has evolved and we need to continue to evolve under Clough.

Which means we need a footballing CF not a neanderthal.

IMHO.

UTB

I reckon we'd have been promoted at the first attempt if we'd kept Darius Henderson rather than Ched Evans.

I reckon we'd have been promoted at the first attempt if we'd kept Darius Henderson rather than Ched Evans.

But we couldnt keep Henderson (or Evans as it happened but thats a well worn story). Hendo wanted out and probably cost too much on wages. Evans scored a bucketful that season and we really should have gone up because of his goals and would have gone up 9/10 with the same points any other season.

But we couldnt keep Henderson (or Evans as it happened but thats a well worn story). Hendo wanted out and probably cost too much on wages. Evans scored a bucketful that season and we really should have gone up because of his goals and would have gone up 9/10 with the same points any other season.

Yes I realise that, I'm not blaming the club for this one.

Hilarious mate

Simply hilarious

How many did Ched get ?

Was it 35 ?

UTB

And where was he when mattered? For all his faults Henderson has never been sent down during a football season. And as our neighbours showed, sometimes you have to bully your way out of a league.

Ahh, but should crimes against football ever become a custodial he's fucked.

I don't think he was that bad for us, although not great. His goals per game record would have been better if he hadn't come back from injury too quickly.

It's worth noting that for Millwall he scored at a rate of nearly 1 in 2 at a higher level than we were playing at the time. His record at us was also much better than Evans' pre relegation.

You know what we need up front, a bloke who can score goals. Big, small, fat, thin, I really don't give a fuck but just a bloke (or 2 even better) that can hit the back of the net. I think we need some pace up front but I don't care if Andy Gray makes a comeback so long as he bags a hatful.

Problem is there are another 91 clubs in England who need the same so it isn't as easy as "I want that one".

And where was he when mattered? For all his faults Henderson has never been sent down during a football season. And as our neighbours showed, sometimes you have to bully your way out of a league.

Not sent down, no but Henderson does get sent off with alarming frequency so if he had stayed he'd probably have missed the last three games through suspension.

In fact, thinking about it: spending TWO MILLION POUNDS on Henderson was the single worst decision made by Kevin Blackwell.

As an aside, has any other United player been sent off as many times as Elbows Darius?

Not sent down, no but Henderson does get sent off with alarming frequency so if he had stayed he'd probably have missed the last three games through suspension.

In fact, thinking about it: spending TWO MILLION POUNDS on Henderson was the single worst decision made by Kevin Blackwell.

As an aside, has any other United player been sent off as many times as Elbows Darius?
Ill go further than that.
£5m spunked on wages and transfer fee.
And we got what in return ??
Worst UTD signing in my lifetime (Not necessarily worst player although v v close !!!)
UTB

aye, I remember his missES against Boro the yr he went down, arghh!

Even the players who angered me far far more than Henderson did (there are about five forwards without even thinking about it) would have had a hat trick that day. That was the day the game was up for me and we were down.

My word, it had to beat off strong competition for that accolade, didn't it?

I quite liked Henderson. Remeber his hatrick at Bristol City away well.

What made it worse was that to bring him in we moved Hulse on. Had we let Hulse have a proper pre-season under his belt, I'm confident he'd have had an excellent season with us the following year - as he did with Derby.

I quite liked Henderson. Remeber his hatrick at Bristol City away well.

in fairness, I do have fond memories of that game, living in Bristol I have a lot of banter with City fans so was a great win!

What made it worse was that to bring him in we moved Hulse on. Had we let Hulse have a proper pre-season under his belt, I'm confident he'd have had an excellent season with us the following year - as he did with Derby.

Sorry to say this but Rob Hulse looked like a man who wouldn't have scored for us if he was still playing today. Shot to pieces and a move was always best for all concerned. Henderson, had his critics but did a job when we were on that shocking slide to the bottom. Could have done better, should have done better but he always seems to bag 10 goals a season. Problem seemed to be then he knocked off.

Sorry to say this but Rob Hulse looked like a man who wouldn't have scored for us if he was still playing today. Shot to pieces and a move was always best for all concerned. Henderson, had his critics but did a job when we were on that shocking slide to the bottom. Could have done better, should have done better but he always seems to bag 10 goals a season. Problem seemed to be then he knocked off.

I remember this being what everyone said at the time, but it was abundantly clear that he'd just returned from a major injury and needed a preseason to be properly back to where he was. Had we taken the same view with Kabba following his return in early 2005 we'd have sold him that summer and not seen the resultant benefits in 05/06. Luckily Warnock was prepared to give him a chance. Blackwell had zero patience with Hulse and got rid asap. I'm not saying I don't understand the reasons behind it, it's a gamble either way. I'm just saying in hindsight it was a terrible decision - and one I also said would be so at the time.

Back
Top Bottom