what it is to be a Blade

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

elgoog44

Reaction score
I was sat having a cuddle with my son (20 months Old) and was thinking in a few years would have been a great trip with him to Grimsby, to see the blades.

It also occurred to me, wonder if in years to come he would be like "Dad thanks for saddling me with this crock for the rest of my life.." the joys of being a blade, instead of a nice pocket watch or something else of value you give me this!, years of untold misery and some high's but quite a few lows, but I will be dammed if he will support any club down here and not Watford, he might have been born there but he will be a blade.

So it got me thinking, what is it that is being a blade, I mean we all moan about the misery of which we have lots, but really I would never support any one else and will always have a piece of Bramall lane in my heart no matter where I am, so what is it to be a blade?
what dose being a blade mean to you?

I was sat having a cuddle with my son (20 months Old) and was thinking in a few years would have been a great trip with him to Grimsby, to see the blades.

It also occurred to me, wonder if in years to come he would be like "Dad thanks for saddling me with this crock for the rest of my life.." the joys of being a blade, instead of a nice pocket watch or something else of value you give me this!, years of untold misery and some high's but quite a few lows, but I will be dammed if he will support any club down here and not Watford, he might have been born there but he will be a blade.

So it got me thinking, what is it that is being a blade, I mean we all moan about the misery of which we have lots, but really I would never support any one else and will always have a piece of Bramall lane in my heart no matter where I am, so what is it to be a blade?
My son and I (he's 34 now and been a blade since birth) often joke about how much misery we have been landed with. Also, what cameraderie and belonging and what the Ted and White means to us. I do smile though at his envy of never having seen TC and Woody and Trev Hockey. But he's right about one thing, the Blades Family transcends all the heartache as well as those few moments of joy.

COYRAWW's

Means never having to go to Meadowhall on a Saturday :)

Seriously?

Belonging
Suffering
Rejoicing
Laughing
Crying
Despairing

It means being optimistic in August before being brought back to earth with a bump.
It's Wembley, it's play offs, it's great goals and FA cup victories. It's promotions and relegations, it's a beer before and my mums tea after the match. It's being with my dad at the match but also passing onthe legacy to my children.

It's trawling through all the threads in here

It's just being a Blade....

My son and I (he's 34 now and been a blade since birth) often joke about how much misery we have been landed with. Also, what cameraderie and belonging and what the Ted and White means to us. I do smile though at his envy of never having seen TC and Woody and Trev Hockey. But he's right about one thing, the Blades Family transcends all the heartache as well as those few moments of joy.

COYRAWW's
COYTAWW's. :D

For me, it is a feeling of interest and a want to know what is going on at all times.

If you ever have mates that support another team, and you go with them to watch their club, it is just not the same. I end up asking myself "how could anyone have a genuine interest in this club?"

That's what makes each person a supporter of their own club I suppose.

It's mostly a sense of belonging but to something that has meaning, depth, history, longevity (generations) and an identity that you can fully associate with.

I was born and raised in Sheffield and left when I went to Uni and then on to work. My folks still live in Sheffield but my son was born in Worcestershire - although he now lives and works in Leeds
His first game (not at the ground) was an FA Cup Match vs Man Utd which he gurgled at, resplendent in a Blades baby grow, as his Dad watched us come from 1 down to beat ManUre 2-1 with goals from Hoyland and Hodges.
His first actual game was at BDTBL - Tuesday night, under the floodlights, vs Stockport County where Shaun Murphy scored the winner - a header from a corner - only 13,500 there that night but from then on he was hooked.
The sight of the green pitch under floodlights, the noises, the hustle and bustle, the energy of the place. It's all quite mesmerising to a 7 year old. The trip back in the car as you fall asleep with your Dad driving you home safe.
It's the togetherness, the shared experience, the connected world of it.
As you get older you share a beer before and after the game and talk tactics, players, managers, discuss incidents and reminisce on games past and look forward to games yet to come.
It's renewing the experience, repeatedly, when you can. Something that you share - a bond that sets you off close and keeps you closer.

The pain and the disappointment?
Fuck it.

It's difficult to define.

My dad was brought up on Parson Cross, his dad was a Londoner and a Millwall supporter, he mums side of the family were all Wednesdayites. His first match was a Wednesday match which his uncle took him to.
He told me that it never "felt right" being at Hillsborough somehow, he never took to the Pigs.
Later on he went to the Lane and this time it did "feel right" being there. He was a Blade from then on, just like that.

I've heard similar stories since from Blades who found their place amongst the tribe by instinct rather than by conscious choice.

Now I was brought up to be a Unitedite, but looking back I think I would've been regardless. I always preferred the colour red to blue, I liked the Blades crest and thought the owl one looked stupid. Little things.

Since then I've come to the conclusion that it's as much about personality traits as anything. I detest arrogance and anyone with a deluded sense of superiority, which is a Pigs trademark, Unitedites are on the whole much more down-to-earth, self deprecating and honest. We don't have a pathetic desire to be liked by all and sundry and we aren't the club of the footballing Establishment.

As Blades we tear each other to pieces arguing about the direction of the club and its fortunes. Because it runs deep inside of us. It's not just a team I support, it's the nearest thing I'll ever have to a religion.

I agree with you all, I am proud to be able to pass on to him being a blade my old man was a rugby man so I found the blades of my own accord, and never liked rugby either.

I will be taking my eldest (7) girl to Northampton and MK Dons we will be going as away fans of course and hopefully she will get to hear some of the songs that we sing, I will take them all to the lane when there a bit older but for now close away games will have to suffice.

For me, it was just because the Blades were the first team I ever saw. My family are all Pig fans, but my Dad had vowed never to go again when they got relegated in 1970, and being a stubborn bastard, he was true to his word. Then a family friend asked my Mum if they could take me to a Blades match and that was it (v Hull Jan 1980).

A few months later my grandad took me to Hillsborough but it wasn't the same, I didn't care whether they won or lost, so I carried on supporting the Blades through thin and thinner.

It wasn't until my seventh or eighth game that I saw us win!

I remember going to the globe in town then heading towards bramall lane, seeing everyone with same excitement building inside, singing even when we where losing, two games stick in my memory and I will remember like they were yesterday, the pigs when brownie scored the volly and against Leeds the jags screamer, never felt more like I belonged in my life, I have lots of other fond memories, but those two really stick out.

It's about integrity and loyalty. No glory hunters, plastics or tourists support our team.

We are a family. A snarling, dysfunctional cynical family, but a family none the less.

Above all its about hope. As long as any of us, from young to old have followed this club, we have had our nads slammed repeatedly in a car door.

But at the start of every season, we can't help but say 'This time it will be different'.

You're all fucking idiots. But you're my fucking idiots.

It's about integrity and loyalty. No glory hunters, plastics or tourists support our team.

We are a family. A snarling, dysfunctional cynical family, but a family none the less.

Above all its about hope. As long as any of us, from young to old have followed this club, we have had our nads slammed repeatedly in a car door.

But at the start of every season, we can't help but say 'This time it will be different'.

Fabulous description wish I could give more likes.

Can't fully describe it, it's magic. That first time my dad took me to the Lane, even as a small lad, there was just a feeling like nothing else Always get at least a little bit of that every single game, despite the years of being ground down by results.

Memories of childhood, there being just something special about those words "Sheffield United". Bramall Lane and the floodlights, the smoke on the kop, the chants, the GCB, players like Edwards and Deane.

The years ebb and flow, results are generally crap but there's just something about this club that will never dissipate for me. One day, we'll have summat to cheer about again.

For me, it is a feeling of interest and a want to know what is going on at all times.

If you ever have mates that support another team, and you go with them to watch their club, it is just not the same. I end up asking myself "how could anyone have a genuine interest in this club?"

That's what makes each person a supporter of their own club I suppose.
It feels a bit like cheating on your missus.

And you know that whoever the club is, those supporters have gone through joy and pain, mostly pain for many years with their club whereas you're just a tourist. Like crashing a wedding.

It's difficult to define.

My dad was brought up on Parson Cross, his dad was a Londoner and a Millwall supporter, he mums side of the family were all Wednesdayites. His first match was a Wednesday match which his uncle took him to.
He told me that it never "felt right" being at Hillsborough somehow, he never took to the Pigs.
Later on he went to the Lane and this time it did "feel right" being there. He was a Blade from then on, just like that.

I've heard similar stories since from Blades who found their place amongst the tribe by instinct rather than by conscious choice.

Now I was brought up to be a Unitedite, but looking back I think I would've been regardless. I always preferred the colour red to blue, I liked the Blades crest and thought the owl one looked stupid. Little things.

Since then I've come to the conclusion that it's as much about personality traits as anything. I detest arrogance and anyone with a deluded sense of superiority, which is a Pigs trademark, Unitedites are on the whole much more down-to-earth, self deprecating and honest. We don't have a pathetic desire to be liked by all and sundry and we aren't the club of the footballing Establishment.

As Blades we tear each other to pieces arguing about the direction of the club and its fortunes. Because it runs deep inside of us. It's not just a team I support, it's the nearest thing I'll ever have to a religion.
Yes, as a kid I was invited to watch Pigs v Gills and I had no interest at all. When I was invited to the Lane to see the RAWW v Wrexham I only had to be asked once.

Bad times at the minute but you can't beat the good times. The 02/03 season when we were beating Leeds, Liverpool, palace and the like at the Lane, heading onto Shoreham Street and everyone still singing, cars beeping and just being proud of the team. It's one big roller coaster and at some point we will get out of this league and start climbing again.

It's mostly a sense of belonging but to something that has meaning, depth, history, longevity (generations) and an identity that you can fully associate with.

I was born and raised in Sheffield and left when I went to Uni and then on to work. My folks still live in Sheffield but my son was born in Worcestershire - although he now lives and works in Leeds
His first game (not at the ground) was an FA Cup Match vs Man Utd which he gurgled at, resplendent in a Blades baby grow, as his Dad watched us come from 1 down to beat ManUre 2-1 with goals from Hoyland and Hodges.
His first actual game was at BDTBL - Tuesday night, under the floodlights, vs Stockport County where Shaun Murphy scored the winner - a header from a corner - only 13,500 there that night but from then on he was hooked.
The sight of the green pitch under floodlights, the noises, the hustle and bustle, the energy of the place. It's all quite mesmerising to a 7 year old. The trip back in the car as you fall asleep with your Dad driving you home safe.
It's the togetherness, the shared experience, the connected world of it.
As you get older you share a beer before and after the game and talk tactics, players, managers, discuss incidents and reminisce on games past and look forward to games yet to come.
It's renewing the experience, repeatedly, when you can. Something that you share - a bond that sets you off close and keeps you closer.

The pain and the disappointment?
Fuck it.

Just wait till I next see him :D ;)

I left Sheffield in 1969 to go to College in Leeds and have lived away from Sheffield virtually ever since.

Through SUFC, and, let's not all forget, forums such as these, I have met people that I would never have met had it not been for the Blades.

Ken and Ken Junior being among them ......

Ken Junior and I sometimes travel on the same train to the Lane and/or back.

Baby grow ....

HeeHee fnarrfnarrr :D

My Dad introduced me to the the Blades when we got promoted to the Premier League, been downhill since then, but it only makes things more exciting, times like semi finals feel more amazing then if you supported Chelsea. Supporting a team like Sheffield United never bores, yes their is pain and embarrassment, but I wouldn't swap for any other team, really?Yes. Who wants to win so much that it becomes the norm and winning becomes boring. I'm a Blade and will always be one no matter what.

Then a family friend asked my Mum if they could take me to a Blades match and that was it (v Hull Jan 1980).

I was supposed to be playing in a match at Castledyke but heavy snow forced postponement so I was off to the Lane with a team mate of mine (1951-2000) to watch that match against Hull. First time I saw Steve Charles. Phil Jones was the man of the match. Len De Goey scored for us at the Kop End but Hull equalised late on

^^^^^

This

I'm 52 years old , being following the Blades , man and boy , since I was in single digits ,
And ya know what , with all the lows , some highs , some tears , some smiles ,
I wouldn't change a fucking thing ,
I love this fucking club of ours , to my core ,
my Irish son is now afflicted , by the Blades .
No matter how shit we are , there's always next week to improve ,
Through this forum , I've got back in touch with blokes I used to go to school with ,
We all know that Sheffield United , are , and will never be the best club in the world .
But they are in our world , of hard bitten working class , take no shit northerners ,
We all want this club to do well , and more through hope then expectations we all think
this will be are year .
I wish I could see our club every week , and am jealous as fuck ( no matter ) how shit there are .
Of most on this forum who get to see them most weeks .
I'm from Sheffield , I follow Sheffield United , and I'm a fucking Blade .

It's like a disease, we all caught it from someone. We all were first exposed to it somewhere, mainly BDTBL, and it caught hold and invaded our very soul. There is no cure, there is pain, heartache, disappointment and despair in great quantities. Occasionally euphoric heights of joy and triumph, but the despondency soon returns. But there is a special bond that ties fellow sufferers together to share all those moments.

It's for life. And, whatever it brings, I'm glad I caught it.

For me it's the buzz even when we're on a shit run with shit players, as I approach BDTBL the hairs on the back of the neck stand up the butterflies start,even when its a nothing game. For me the lane is a place on earth where I truly feel I belong. I fookin love the Blades and wouldn't change a thing because, by definition we all sign up for all the highs, lows,upsets and shocks,but above all else we are unique we are the blades it's an identity. UTB edit: and when we have one of our rare ups there is no better place on the planet to be, the atmosphere inside our famous ground is second to none so fellow blades thanks for that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom