What Do You Miss The Most At BDTBL?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

VLYDONIMIR

Totus tuus ego sum, Maria...
Reaction score
As an addition to the "Earliest Memories" thread.

What, when you look back on supporting SUFC, what do you miss the most about our beautiful home?

The "proper" floodlights, in the corners and if I recall, the centre one which was above the old John Street side.
Watching them flicker into life, under the dark rainy skies....

The smell of pipe tobacco as I walked up to the BLUT .. Row G...

Two simplistic memories that will live with me forever.

Bring back proper floodlights , I hate those things along the edge of the stand rooves , they aren't high enough , their beam is too horizontal , so they shine right in spectators eyes , really irritating.
But you can keep pipe smoke away , I knew that toothless fucker who filled up BLUT with it.

The stanchion which was just inside the old kop roof before the open bit in front of where the old scoreboard used to be (if my memory is correct) and which I hope was around seat PP 64.

Yes the Old floodlights were superb, what a sight as they crackled and hummed when they came on in winter. Bugger LED's, proper global warmers they were.

In summer I miss walking round from Bramall Lane to Shoreham Street via the Cricket Pavillion.

Apart from the obvious answer of good players giving 100% and playing winning football, under a good manager and a Board showing some ambition (not that we've had these much in the last 40 years), I would add.....

H block in full voice and the intimidating atmosphere we used to generate for visiting teams.

Getting the halftime scores by means of watching an old groundsman walking along with little metal plates with numbers on and hanging them under match A , B , C etc as denoted by the programme , such tension building as you waited for him to hang up Wednesdays score !

Getting the halftime scores by means of watching an old groundsman walking along with little metal plates with numbers on and hanging them under match A , B , C etc as denoted by the programme , such tension building as you waited for him to hang up Wednesdays score !
I have a vague recollection of Wednesday getting a tonking one week and the scoreboard bloke sauntered over to flip the 5 to a 6 or something and as he walked across it was accompanied by a ground-swelling "OooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOH!" followed by a "Waaaaaay!" as he flipped it, then did a sort of moonwalk back to his station :D

I miss standing at the top of the Kop. I was only about 12 or 13 when I first started standing up there and would regularly get knocked over when we scored. There was always someone on hand to help me up

The big trench through the middle of the Kop and the wall in the corner, John Street side. Great view leaning on that white wall.
My spot was also at the trench , at one of the fences which separated the Kop .
Me , Kev , Mart , Steg , and Hodgey , all occupied that spot at one time or another .

Back
Top Bottom