We Nearly Scored From A Corner

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Amongst all the doom and glooom it's gone unremarked that we (sort of) nearly scored from a corner right at the end.

I expect great things on Saturday.

UTB

It was a shit corner though tbf. Didn't it bounce twice before it reached Doyle?

How many headed goals have we scored?

Edit: I'd wager it's one of the league's lowest totals, perhaps not a surprise.

Looked like the keeper tipped onto the bar with the chance that fell afterwards, couldn't tell really and same applied on the replays. I thought we were gonna take a point when it fell.

Higgie scored from a corner in the cup at MK Dons. Was also an innovative delivery.

It would seem that most of our corners are delivered at the speed of a floating balloon, high into the box where mammoth defenders are waiting to deal with every one. I may be wrong, I have not seen them but, I would hazard a guess that man mountains will have no problems with the high balls into the box.

Do we vary things? For example passing the ball to an on running player outside the box who could take a shot. I think that it was Joe Bolton, but stand to be corrected who scored a pearler this way.

As far back as Jimmy Hagan, I remember him blasting a ball just above turf level that could have hit anyone and gone in.

Whilst in theory I prefer football played to feet, on the ground, it doesn't appear to be working. A Bassett side, IMO would give our present lot a torrid time whilst winning hands down, Say ooh ahh etc.!! To paraphrase Mr Hanson, you win nothing with drarves in this league.

Clough has set up a side that might be able to play in the Championship, but it cannot cope with the very poor league that we are in.

Amongst all the doom and glooom it's gone unremarked that we (sort of) nearly scored from a corner right at the end.

I expect great things on Saturday.

UTB

I have always said that Doyle has a decent shot on him and should have contributed more goals than he has, looking back, it was a bad miss.

We nearly scored from a corner vs Crawley too. Progress.

I've comprehensively checked the rules and regrettably, the Football league will not allow a nearly to count, parsimonious as this may seem. It appears that however much possession we enjoy, however well we play, we must ACTUALLY score goals to win the games.

Personally, I think that this is just a technicality, and that the FL should rethink the rules, but that's just my opinion. Strikers are just such a bloody luxury really; they come on the pitch swaggering about, score goals and you get all excited jumping about, winning games, its just really over-rated and unnecessary !!

Much more fun just to pass the ball backwards or sideways and concentrate on defending in depth and taking nice goal kicks. Perhaps trialling a new formation of 5 - 1 - 5 - 0 would finally see the end of the necessity for these over-paid, prolific, pain in the backside goal-scorers.

We can then concentrate our efforts on our prolific free-kick and corner routines to score goals ........ :rolleyes:
UTB & FTP

How many headed goals have we scored?

Edit: I'd wager it's one of the league's lowest totals, perhaps not a surprise.

Butler scored a header for us as well but I think but they may have been in a cup match.

I seem to recall that McNulty scored v Orient from a corner - I think its the only league game we have scored from a corner.:(

We have scored a few times from corners that get reworked after the initial delivery is cleared. McNulty vs Orient and JCR vs Rochdale fall into this category. From what I can think off the top of my head, our only corner goal in the league from the initial delivery was Baxter's vs Colchester a few weeks ago. This is piss poor. Maguire has been a massive loss in this respect, I notice he scored a goal from a corner at the weekend.

From what I can think off the top of my head, our only corner goal in the league from the initial delivery was Baxter's vs Colchester a few weeks ago.
Baxter's was from a free kick by JCR from the wing towards the corner flag.

Collins Vs Chesterfield, or was that a FK?
Collins was from a free kick by JCR

I'm all for us using one of those Impossiballs you could get in the 80s at corners.

Back
Top Bottom