Visiting Motherwell fans

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

higgyshavingaparty

Reaction score
How's it going?

A group of 4 of us Motherwell FC boys are coming down for game against Barnsely this coming Saturday to see big Michael Higdon, and Murphy bossing it down south.

Couple of questions that I was hoping you could help me out with?

What woukd you say would be the best place for us to sit? Currently looking at the south stand but we're struggling to get 4 seats together in sections 2 or 3. Was kinda hoping we'd get somewhere near the halfway line. How are the views from the kop stand?

Hoping to get in early to Sheffield so was wondering if there were any decent boozers that would be alright with us in our Motherwell tops close to the station?

Cheers. Mon the Higgy!

Kop - better atmos, worse seats and a couple of posts blocking sightlines if you are in the wings.

Better sitting in the wings of the SS really.

Recommend the Rutland near the station, the Howard just outside is designated away fans pub and you wont get in the Tap on the station in your kits.

Kop stand, good atmosphere, sh!te seats, no leg room. Way round it get seats in top back corner and stand all game. Be a good atmosphere in G and H of South Stand.

Plenty of decent boozers between the station and the ground, plus town centre isn't far away and plenty of pubs on nearby London Road.

Kop - better atmos, worse seats and a couple of posts blocking sightlines if you are in the wings.

Better sitting in the wings of the SS really.

Recommend the Rutland near the station, the Howard just outside is designated away fans pub and you wont get in the Tap on the station in your kilts.

there that's better :)

The Rutland is good and the South Stand wings are miles better than the Kop if you actually want to see the game.

The Higosaurus is one of the oddest players I've ever seen. An immobile dozy pie muncher with a genuine ability to put footballs between goalposts. An inspiration for the feckless everywhere.

Best place for a drink is Rutland Arms, 5 minutes walk from the ground. Great food & beer, and away fans & people in Motherwell kits are always made welcome. Middle of the South Stand is the best view in the ground, about 40 rows up.

higgyshavingaparty we seem to be getting visiting fans coming down from Scotland on a regular basis this season and last. The few games i've seen recently there's been Scottish fans down for the game. I think there were a group of McNulty fans sitting at the back of the Kop at the Rochdale game in September.

Plenty of people sit on the kop and with the exception of the two massive posts, the view feels fairly close to the action. If its a sunny November day you might even catch a few rays, so you better get some factor 50 on your pasty scottish complexions, we don't want your day ruined with sunburn ;)

Somewhere that hasn't been mentioned for a beer is the Golden Lion, very close to the ground and frequented by many from this forum.

Its also worth dropping an email to Sheffield United to let them know you're coming, over the years, groups of fans coming from far and wide have been greeted or looked after by the club in some capacity sometimes with a pre match tour of the ground.

Enjoy the day, hope you get to see Higgy bag a few goals and Murphy running riot down the wing.

Up the Blades!

Seems a bit of a brotherhood developing with the scots! I've noticed a fair number of coming down for our games recently. I only ask you don't base your opinions of the English on any encounters with folk from Barnsley.

Echo the other comments. South Stand if you want views. Back of Kop if atmosphere is what you seek.

From one Clank Town to another , have a good day lads (even if our Clanks were made by special Steels and yours by clog iron }

Ive got a soft spot for Motherwell ,and went quite regularly about 15 years ago due to a friend who is mad on them. There is the Stuart Mcall , Willie Falconer Higdon and Murphy connection ,anyone else ?

Motherwell are my Scottish team, always look out for there results, not fairing too well so far though this season. Nice little theme park there too. Sheaf Island a Wetherspoons pub on Ecclesall Road is my usual pre match watering hole about 10 mins walk from the ground. As most have said South Stand for the views, Kop for the atmosphere, should be a good one with our six fingered neighbours in town.

Ive got a soft spot for Motherwell ,and went quite regularly about 15 years ago due to a friend who is mad on them. There is the Stuart Mcall , Willie Falconer Higdon and Murphy connection ,anyone else ?
Errrr, you're forgetting a certain current Blades shining star...
_45206894_chrisporter282.jpg

Motherwell are my Scottish team, always look out for there results, not fairing too well so far though this season. Nice little theme park there too. Sheaf Island a Wetherspoons pub on Ecclesall Road is my usual pre match watering hole about 10 mins walk from the ground. As most have said South Stand for the views, Kop for the atmosphere, should be a good one with our six fingered neighbours in town.
Do you mean the funfair thingy down next to the M74 ,it is pretty good. Last time I went I met Hugh Dallas who lived on my friends road in Motherwell and famously had his house attacked after he reffed an Old firm game.

Best view in the ground imo is the Bramall Lane corner stand, but you'll be right by the Dingles fans, Actually I dunno if it is open for home fans this weekend

hello - fellow UK residents!!!!
sit in the South Stand - Block G or H. You are near the away fans but lots of Blades move to this areas when the local opposition teams come. The banter will be good. Me and my nipper tend to go here for the local derbies as it can be a good laugh and the atmosphere will be much better than the kop. We are great away fans but at home it can be a bit quiet sometimes, although with it being the dingles it should be better than normal. There won't be any trouble - trust me! just good banter. We'll get called dee daas by the Barnsley lot and I am sure the "small town in Sheffield will get sung to them - they unfortunately have a Sheffield postcode which pisses them off so much.
Anyway, enjoy the day - Murph is presently on fire after a slow start, Higgo or higgopotamus as some have unfairly called him is just starting to produce for us.
UTB

My family are from wishaw and my brother was born accross the road from motherwells ground

I haven’t been to the Lane this season, so if anyone spots any inaccuracies in this info please correct it.

The Howard is the mock-Tudor building opposite the train station. You could give that one a miss unless you’re very thirsty, but it’s a good indicator of where you turn left to get to the Rutland Arms, which is a decent pub on the way to the ground.

Five minutes after that, on a side street on your right, will be the Lord Nelson aka Fanny’s, a great little boozer which will be full of hardcore fans. Alternatively you could head for the Standard, a bit lower down, on the other side of the St Mary’s Gate dual carriageway opposite Leadmill Rd

To get to the Lane you must cross the dual carriageway. Unless you go to the Standard you will cross at the St Mary’s Gate roundabout (underpass) and you have the option of going onto Bramall Lane or heading up to London Rd. Note, Bramall Lane could be closed by the police, as it’s where the away end is, so you could be forced to make a detour.

On Bramall Lane, the Cricketers is a good bet. The Sportsman on Denby St just opposite the Cricketers was also a decent boozer but I think it is now closed. Just after the ground, on the right you’ll find the Railway, and on the left the Copthorne Hotel Bar (a bit posh and pricy). A very short walk further on your left is the Sheaf House, a large pub that is always packed on match days.

If you fancy the Golden Lion, take a right on Woodhead Rd (not sharp right) by the Railway, then a left on Alderson Rd.

Alternatively, when you cross the dual carriageway you have the option of heading to London Rd, which is a five minute walk away from the ground and runs parallel to Bramall Lane. This used to be a Blades boozing Mecca, but only about five or six pubs remain on the stretch now starting with the Scholar at the city centre end, and ending with the Cremorne. From there you can walk down Alderson Rd to the Golden Lion.

Note that there are no pubs on Shoreham St, the Kop end of the ground. The nearest one is the Standard.

Alcohol is served in the ground but the queues are normally long and you can’t take your pint to your seat. The bars are only open before the game and at half time.

The city centre is also a decent place to drink before the game, but pubs are few and far between as you get closer to the ground. The craft ale place behind Telephone House (high rise on Charter Row) is a great place if you want to make a detour. I forget the name of the place.

If you want to do the city centre you can take a tram from the station, but it’s just as quick to walk it.

I haven’t been to the Lane this season, so if anyone spots any inaccuracies in this info please correct it.

The Howard is the mock-Tudor building opposite the train station. You could give that one a miss unless you’re very thirsty, but it’s a good indicator of where you turn left to get to the Rutland Arms, which is a decent pub on the way to the ground.

Five minutes after that, on a side street on your right, will be the Lord Nelson aka Fanny’s, a great little boozer which will be full of hardcore fans. Alternatively you could head for the Standard, a bit lower down, on the other side of the St Mary’s Gate dual carriageway opposite Leadmill Rd

To get to the Lane you must cross the dual carriageway. Unless you go to the Standard you will cross at the St Mary’s Gate roundabout (underpass) and you have the option of going onto Bramall Lane or heading up to London Rd. Note, Bramall Lane could be closed by the police, as it’s where the away end is, so you could be forced to make a detour.

On Bramall Lane, the Cricketers is a good bet. The Sportsman on Denby St just opposite the Cricketers was also a decent boozer but I think it is now closed. Just after the ground, on the right you’ll find the Railway, and on the left the Copthorne Hotel Bar (a bit posh and pricy). A very short walk further on your left is the Sheaf House, a large pub that is always packed on match days.

If you fancy the Golden Lion, take a right on Woodhead Rd (not sharp right) by the Railway, then a left on Alderson Rd.

Alternatively, when you cross the dual carriageway you have the option of heading to London Rd, which is a five minute walk away from the ground and runs parallel to Bramall Lane. This used to be a Blades boozing Mecca, but only about five or six pubs remain on the stretch now starting with the Scholar at the city centre end, and ending with the Cremorne. From there you can walk down Alderson Rd to the Golden Lion.

Note that there are no pubs on Shoreham St, the Kop end of the ground. The nearest one is the Standard.

Alcohol is served in the ground but the queues are normally long and you can’t take your pint to your seat. The bars are only open before the game and at half time.

The city centre is also a decent place to drink before the game, but pubs are few and far between as you get closer to the ground. The craft ale place behind Telephone House (high rise on Charter Row) is a great place if you want to make a detour. I forget the name of the place.

If you want to do the city centre you can take a tram from the station, but it’s just as quick to walk it.
Wow you have been away a long time The Sportsman has been shut down ages, The Cricketers is a shit hole and the next on Bramall lane The Railway used to only let in pass holders don't know if that is still the case ? There is always the Sheaf View further up the lane, same beer as the Golden Lion but a fair bit cheaper.

Roebuck , Sheaf Island or Copthorne are my preferred drinking holes before a game until we lose then it has to change.

Back
Top Bottom