View from the back of the stand....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Grizzly blade

Reaction score
scrappy game, with not a lot of quality.

Scunny are a direct side, who work very hard and quite physical. Don't think we ever really got control of the game, and midfield never really got much chance to put a foot on the ball. This may have been tactical however as we seemed to play long to the channels a fair bit.

Thought EEL was very solid, and our best player today.
While after last weeks MOM performance, Moore certainly should have done better for the first goal. Thought so live, and having seen it back it was a poor effort. However, the rest of his game was good.

Thought Fleck worked hard, and did ok without anything spectacular. Coutts had a couple of nice little touches but not a lot else. Duffy didn't get a lot of space, but again did OK.

Moore- 6

EEL-8
Connell-7 very steady.
Bash- 7....and I can see why it was given a red card, but proof that you may as well not bother ever going to ground.

Freeman-5....poor game for me. Wasted some good positions, spent too much time appealing for free kicks.
Lafferty- 6 didn't do a lot

Coutts-6
Fleck-7
Duffy-7

Sharp-6 not a lot of service, worked hard, but penalty apart wasn't in the game much.
Done- 6 as above without the penalty.

Good point to win, keeps the run going but want to be back on the clean sheets for a few games please. Wouldn't have any of the Scunny back line save perhaps Clarke at right back. I like him. Also Holmes looks very useful, and would be an asset for us. But in the whole, you can see why Scunny pick up points, they just work very hard and do the basics well, while cutting out the errors. I don't recall their keeper making a save, and had no chance with either goal.

Fans- not bad to be fair. Had their moments of being loud, but can never understand the blokes who have brought their young kids to the game yet feel it appropriate to be offering out Scunny fans, using the C bomb and generally looking a pillock. Great role model. Suppose every club has em.....

We were linked with Duane Holmes early in the summer, on that showing it's a shame we didn't sign him. Would be a good wide option for us.

The other winger, Josh Morris also looked useful and you could tell he was a player in form and confident.

Their three battling central midfielders dictated that the game would be scrappy and we wouldn't get much time on the ball.

Hopefully Stewart has the pace to do similar and can regain a bit of the form of 5/6 years ago.

Think Morris may well be top of the scoring charts.

A point away at the top of the league,put into other context: like going to man city and getting a point.
Brilliant result I feel.Other teams have already gone there and been totally hammered.
We're in a good place regarding the teams we've already played on the road.
Scunthorpe Will fall away eventually because there squad is shallow.
We are looking a very powerful outfit to play against,unlike the last two seasons.
Players want to play for us again,I'll take bashams sending off today.he was committed.I like that.
Utb.

Sounds as though the centre halves carried the rest of the team today. Wasn't it Basham who got pulled up for a free-kick last Saturday (can't remember if he got carded for it) when if effective it was an excellent ball winning tackle. According to Edwards similar type of challenge today. Poor state of affairs if players can't tackle like that any more, might as well stop the pretence and call it fannyball instead.

Bash- 7....and I can see why it was given a red card, but proof that you may as well not bother ever going to ground.

Players have been given enough warnings about going off their feet.

I can understand "older" managers and fans not liking the rules - they are here to stay and it was only a matter of time before Bash got sent off for it.

You go off your feet, you run the risk - Deadman is a twat of a referee and we should have been wary of what he could do.

UTB

My immediate thoughts upon watching the Sky Sports highlights is that if Long was in goal for the 2 we conceded today people would be asking for his head, Moore should have done better with both - but he has been impressive in recent weeks.

Unsure on the sending off, i can understand both arguments, but i agree with Wilder that the 'victims' reaction may have swayed the referee.

Said before the game this would be the dull result. Doesn't improve our league position with results elsewhere, doesn't give us a big win to make our mark. Still, in terms of the season, these are games that home teams desperately want to win to split them from the pack. To take a point away from home vs. a likely rival is big, and Scunthorpe will be the ones kicking themselves for not taking advantage of their early form against ten men.

Very good result even if not huge like a win would've been.

My immediate thoughts upon watching the Sky Sports highlights is that if Long was in goal for the 2 we conceded today people would be asking for his head, Moore should have done better with both - but he has been impressive in recent weeks.

Unsure on the sending off, i can understand both arguments, but i agree with Wilder that the 'victims' reaction may have swayed the referee.
Agree bout the keeper , but with his performances for the last couple of weeks , he's still got a lot of credit in the bank even though if it had been Long he would have been slaughtered .
We need to find a scape goat and quick , this team is starting to play well together.

Agree bout the keeper , but with his performances for the last couple of weeks , he's still got a lot of credit in the bank even though if it had been Long he would have been slaughtered .
We need to find a scape goat and quick , this team is starting to play well together.

I'm just waiting for some of our fans to jump on Sharp... "He only scores penalties and tap-ins"

To be honest, I think we should put to bed the Long comparisons. Long is history because he wasn't that good for over a year.

We see keepers at all level conceding when arguably they may or may not have, but the goals conceded aren't dissected into whether it not the previous keeper would have done bettter ad infinitum. The main thing is that the defence seem more settled with Moore behind them.

Moore might not be not as good as Kelly or even Tracey, but I personally think that he's far better than Long and 'chocolate hands' Howard, and I think it's time to move on and forget the endless "if Long had...." debates.

scrappy game, with not a lot of quality.

Scunny are a direct side, who work very hard and quite physical. Don't think we ever really got control of the game, and midfield never really got much chance to put a foot on the ball. This may have been tactical however as we seemed to play long to the channels a fair bit.

Thought EEL was very solid, and our best player today.
While after last weeks MOM performance, Moore certainly should have done better for the first goal. Thought so live, and having seen it back it was a poor effort. However, the rest of his game was good.

Thought Fleck worked hard, and did ok without anything spectacular. Coutts had a couple of nice little touches but not a lot else. Duffy didn't get a lot of space, but again did OK.

Moore- 6

EEL-8
Connell-7 very steady.

Freeman-5....poor game for me. Wasted some good positions, spent too much time appealing for free kicks.
Lafferty- 6 didn't do a lot

Coutts-6
Fleck-7
Duffy-7

Sharp-6 not a lot of service, worked hard, but penalty apart wasn't in the game much.
Done- 6 as above without the penalty.

Good point to win, keeps the run going but want to be back on the clean sheets for a few games please. Wouldn't have any of the Scunny back line save perhaps Clarke at right back. I like him. Also Holmes looks very useful, and would be an asset for us. But in the whole, you can see why Scunny pick up points, they just work very hard and do the basics well, while cutting out the errors. I don't recall their keeper making a save, and had no chance with either goal.

Fans- not bad to be fair. Had their moments of being loud, but can never understand the blokes who have brought their young kids to the game yet feel it appropriate to be offering out Scunny fans, using the C bomb and generally looking a pillock. Great role model. Suppose every club has em.....

I listened on the Radio. It sounded like our fans had taken a vow of silence to me...I must have missed those 'moments'...

To be honest, I think we should put to bed the Long comparisons. Long is history because he wasn't that good for over a year.

We see keepers at all level conceding when arguably they may or may not have, but the goals conceded aren't dissected into whether it not the previous keeper would have done bettter ad infinitum. The main thing is that the defence seem more settled with Moore behind them.

Moore might not be not as good as Kelly or even Tracey, but I personally think that he's far better than Long and 'chocolate hands' Howard, and I think it's time to move on and forget the endless "if Long had...." debates.

Long has been and is a very poor goalkeeper, and consistently so. No isolated errors in his case, he's skilled in every aspect of crap.

Strange game today. I'm not sure we played that well but we've managed to come away with a point from a difficult situation against a team that is doing well.

We are far from being perfect but I'm really pleased with the character we are showing and the desire. Picking up points from every single game is crucial.

Looking forward to Tuesday night now. Just hoping that we can keep a clean sheet and create a few more chances.

Utb

Long has been and is a very poor goalkeeper, and consistently so. No isolated errors in his case, he's skilled in every aspect of crap.
Moore was beaten at the near post and agreed he should've done better, but we don't keep on saying ' Sammon would have got slated for that miss or even Woodford would have made that cross or McEverly would have won that tackle or Hammond would have....well I not that sure what Hammond actually did.

But I am sure that it's time to move on. Moore's our keeper now and far better than the crap that we've had to put up with since Kenny.

Moore was beaten at the near post and agreed he should've done better, but we don't keep on saying ' Sammon would have got slated for that miss or even Woodford would have made that cross or McEverly would have won that tackle or Hammond would have....well I not that sure what Hammond actually did.

But I am sure that it's time to move on. Moore's our keeper now and far better than the crap that we've had to put up with since Kenny.

Oh there was plenty of crap from Paddy the Clown...

Alan Kelly and you're talking quality...

Where was freeman for the first? There was a gaping hole that EEL tried to cover but it was a free shot. Yes, it looked a bit dodgy but if someone smacks it at you that close you really don't know where it's going (he who hit it probably didn't) so I let him off a bit.

At the end of the day, they are doing well, it's a terrible ground for us, I'm happy with a point.

Where was freeman for the first? There was a gaping hole that EEL tried to cover but it was a free shot. Yes, it looked a bit dodgy but if someone smacks it at you that close you really don't know where it's going (he who hit it probably didn't) so I let him off a bit.

At the end of the day, they are doing well, it's a terrible ground for us, I'm happy with a point.
That was why we switched to 442 after the equaliser

Tsk , there's me thinking he's a striker , and that's what he's supposed to do .
Can't remember many 25 yarders from Keith Edwards though . :)
He got an absolute belter at Port Vale....4th division or season after.

I listened on the Radio. It sounded like our fans had taken a vow of silence to me...I must have missed those 'moments'...
We got in the car to come home and heard the commentary of Sharps penalty and would agree with you. However those that were there would vouch that the away support was extremely loud and vocal throughout, particularly 2nd half. Do radio Sheff have the ability to alter the background noise?

Tsk , there's me thinking he's a striker , and that's what he's supposed to do .

That wasn't a dig at Sharp at all, i'm a big fan - my point was some fans are suggesting we drop our best striker

We got in the car to come home and heard the commentary of Sharps penalty and would agree with you. However those that were there would vouch that the away support was extremely loud and vocal throughout, particularly 2nd half. Do radio Sheff have the ability to alter the background noise?
They do for the pigs.

Edwards got plenty from outside the box, he was on the free-kicks from at least the 83/84 promotion season onwards. I would say he banged a few in, but they were more like Beckham's free-kicks, yeah he curled a few in!

Eddie was a goalscorer supreme , from early 80's on was mostly on home match duty , so while he did slot a few in from outside area , hence the can't remember him crashing many in , Rusty , Handsworth , I dof my cap in your direction .
I remember him starting one move from just outside / inside our box after a corner was broken up , great inter play all the way up the pitch for him to finish it off .
Norwich at home I think .

Back
Top Bottom