View From Southend

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Nice set of fans. Was very impressed with how many they brought up here.

They seem to be a club on the way up - new stadium on the verge of being built, bit of momentum from last year's promotion.

and they all acknowledge that after their second goal we played em off the park and they were lucky to hang on for a draw.

Shame so many of our fans can't see that.

Got to be satisfied that we played them off the park for an hour and scored two goals. Just a shame they took the piss for the first 30 minutes and scored 2 good goals.

I felt our more dangerous moments were more from their poor play than our creativity.

and they all acknowledge that after their second goal we played em off the park and they were lucky to hang on for a draw.

You're right. We were superb. After defeats to the mighty Crewe and Fleetwood this was a stupendous point at home to an excellent Southend side.

8th in a high quality L1. I have to pinch myself. We've never had it so good.

It's not that they can't see it, they did. What a lot of our fans were concerned with though was how easy they got into a two goal lead on our home patch without either side breaking sweat, it's a bit different.

“very hard earned draw with a big sprinkle of lucky dust.”

“2-2 FT. What a great game, for all the right and wrong reasons.
Disappointing with the 2 mistakes but they hit the post 3 times, so I feel quite lucky actually. Most would have taken a draw. Good point anyway”

“2-2 is actually a great result for us and we really rode our luck.”

seems to be they think they were lucky, shows some of our fans saying we were cruddy is a bit unfair

It's a fair point Maiders but the key to it will be - Why the Bloody Hell can't they start like that?
If it takes going down by two goals at home before the players feel they have to pull their collective fingers out, it's only going to end in one way.

I think the frustrating thing is that we see these glimpses every so often - the ability to turn the screw and put teams under real pressure - but so often we seem to relinquish the initiative without a fight at the start of a game..
Remember that we have not won a game after conceding the first goal - not one turnover in the season so far - that states as much about the mind set and the character of the players as anything.

Southend fan here, in peace.

We do tend to travel well, to be fair. I vaguely remember us taking 500 odd up to Carlisle for a midweek game a good few years back.

We also love a good sing song. Not that we sung it much on Saturday, but a recent favourite is Twist & Shout.

I couldn't see us holding onto the two goal lead, especially having scored both goals in the first half an hour. We did the same against Rochdale at home, we were 2-0 up (albeit at half time) and blew it. 2-2 the final score.

Southend fan here, in peace.

We do tend to travel well, to be fair. I vaguely remember us taking 500 odd up to Carlisle for a midweek game a good few years back.

We also love a good sing song. Not that we sung it much on Saturday, but a recent favourite is Twist & Shout.

I couldn't see us holding onto the two goal lead, especially having scored both goals in the first half an hour. We did the same against Rochdale at home, we were 2-0 up (albeit at half time) and blew it. 2-2 the final score.

Credit to you. It was a great following, & a friendly one too from all I've heard (bar a small few seeking out, & getting, a bit of trouble post-match - the vast police operation we saw for our cup tie v. mighty Worcester wasn't in place this time round).

Was expecting a bit of a thuggish aerial bombardment from your side tbh, after having read a report of the draw you got at Gillingham, with Justin Edinburgh claiming that you'd "bullied" them & outfought them. And we know all too well what it's like getting bullied & outfought by Gillingham! But, no, you were neat & tidy, & generally a decent side. For all our failings, it's a very good division this season.

Cheers!

I think with the Gillingham game, the reason it was a bit rough was mainly down to the referee. He had a terrible game and cost us the three points by giving a free kick to Gills in their own corner, when Myles Weston was blatantly the player being fouled, not the player doing the "fouling". Gills punted the ball forward, we cleared it as far as Doug Loft, who, from 45-50 yards out, put the ball over Dan Bentley and into the bottom corner. It was meant to be a cross, that was obvious.

Still, enough about something that can't be changed. I thought you were also a decent side, capable of breaking down any defense in this league. Has to be said though, who's been teaching Campbell-Ryce how to dive?

“very hard earned draw with a big sprinkle of lucky dust.”

“2-2 FT. What a great game, for all the right and wrong reasons.
Disappointing with the 2 mistakes but they hit the post 3 times, so I feel quite lucky actually. Most would have taken a draw. Good point anyway”

“2-2 is actually a great result for us and we really rode our luck.”

seems to be they think they were lucky, shows some of our fans saying we were cruddy is a bit unfair

Fine margins, if any of those shots were a centimetre or so to the left or right then its 3-2 or more to us.

We did not do that much wrong in the second half but you cannot afford to start the match so poorly even at this level of football.

Fair play to Southend they came to upset us and they did.

Back
Top Bottom