View from Oldham

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Roygbiv

Reaction score
"We deserved to win that one, outplayed them first half should have been 2-0 if Johnson had not hit the bar. referee should have worn a Sheffield top as he gave us one free kick in the second half which got him a standing ovation, Latics fans about 1500 were magnificent as usual and outsung the home fans again."

"We'd have taken a point before kick off and it sounds like with 10 men we survived the late Sheff Utd storm, which so many teams have succumbed too this season. Good point"

fter our next 2 away games (dale & monks) we will have played the top 8 sides away from home this season.

"Keep our home form going into 2015 and pick up some away wins against lower sides and we would be in there fighting come May !!!"

"great point considering we played twelve men. that ref was an arsehole. "

Refereeing was disgraceful. Ibehre's first booking to giving them throw ins that never were their's, he was appalling.

"Not a bad performance I thought by ourselves. We seemed to lose all footballing ability once they scored though. Johnson and Mills in particular couldn't pick out a player in blue. Decent result, but off the first half alone we should've scored more than a single goal. "

"Looking at their their forum, nice to see we are being recognised rather than patronised "

"My feeling is the ref was so poor the team should be applauded for hanging on it was literally 10 v 12 saying that we battered them for an hour and should of been out of site. "

"We don't half get some shocking refs against the blunts... Thought we were excellent and deserved a win, there was only one team in it till their goal which gave then belief and they looked lively for a 10 or so minute period before it went a bit quiet. JCR always does well against us."

"We have lead away at Posh, Sheff u and Chesterfield. We need to start killing teams off. Wilsons chance goes in and we win that game despite playing against 12 men. Worst referee I've seen in a long time."

"Could have won
Could have lost
Draw is probably fair "

"happy with that point but fuming with the referee."

Not at the game, been in a twitter convo with an Oldham friend who was pretty furious at the ref, odd as the twitter updates from here indicated he wouldn't book anyone from them

One to add from on Bramall Lane:

"You are fucking scabs".

Not entirely sure he got the response he was hoping for from me. A shake of the head and a smile.

Every time we've played Oldham since they developed a hatred for us, have we had the same "ref should have worn a United shirt", "we should've won 3-0" etc etc.

Pity really, as he's got them playing well with plenty of pace in their side and some good direct passing.

The ref and his linesmen were poor, poor for both sides at times, but no way did they favour us.

I asked during the first half if they didn't bring enough blue shirts for the ref too. He could've booked three or four of theirs before we got the first yellow. Three or four could have been booked for similar fouls on Scougall before Scougall himself then got booked for a similar foul.

I can understand their frustration that our two CBs went very physical and got away with it second half, but I wouldn't say the ref was worse for them overall.

Also interesting that one of them thinks they always get bad refs against us. The only other ref I can remember against them was the one who sent Matty Lowton off which came from a nonsense first yellow, and then correctly sent Harry off and gave them a last minute penalty to win the game. Hardly favoured us, that one.

For the record: every referee who referees at Bramall Lane is atrocious, and 9 times out of 10 is worse for us.

I watched the game with a few Oldham fans. I was impressed with them. Daniel Johnson in particular was very good, as was the big bloke up front.

In terms absolutely relative to it being a league one fixture, I thought it was two heavy weights going at each other. They did a good job stopping us getting up any steam and putting them under any telling pressure. A draw was absolutely the fairest result.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them up in the playoff picture come season end.

The lad Johnson was impressive. He reminded me of a young Villa player who played against us in the Youth Cup in 2011. Just read on Bladesmad that he's on loan from Villa so I'm presuming it's the same guy. He was by far their best player that night and yet we still beat them.

Terry Kennedy was the only Blades player from the class of 2011 involved in our squad today.

That's two seasons in a row Oldham have come here and fought like buggery. They keep finding decent players from somewhere.

no insult intended but it is amazing how oldham can get these types of players on loan but we never can
They're near to Manchester and if players can't get a London club Manchester is a good fallback. Beckfords gone to PNE beats crossing the Pennines and joining a team having its name and 125 history dragged through the gutter by the board.

Oldham team and fans a credit to their club. Happy with our point, they were very hard to play against. Ironically I thought the referee gave them far too much latitude with their over-robust approach, but they got away with it and kept it up all game, no problem with that. Thought Oldham looked very well coached and well up for the game. Baxter was bundled out of the game and didn't like getting roughed up. When we were in possession everywhere you looked on the pitch there were no gaps.

Oldham team and fans a credit to their club. Happy with our point, they were very hard to play against. Ironically I thought the referee gave them far too much latitude with their over-robust approach, but they got away with it and kept it up all game, no problem with that. Thought Oldham looked very well coached and well up for the game. Baxter was bundled out of the game and didn't like getting roughed up. When we were in possession everywhere you looked on the pitch there were no gaps.

Uhhmmm...not sure the stewards in the bramall lane stand would agree with the comment about the oldham fans...apparently they were a nightmare.

They're near to Manchester and if players can't get a London club Manchester is a good fallback. Beckfords gone to PNE beats crossing the Pennines and joining a team having its name and 125 history dragged through the gutter by the board.[/QUOTE

So, you think that abiding by the laws of the land the Board is dragging us through the gutter? How sad. The fems seized control of the gutter, along with the unknowns who thought it smart to pull our club down.

"We deserved to win that one, outplayed them first half should have been 2-0 if Johnson had not hit the bar. referee should have worn a Sheffield top as he gave us one free kick in the second half which got him a standing ovation, Latics fans about 1500 were magnificent as usual and outsung the home fans again."

"We'd have taken a point before kick off and it sounds like with 10 men we survived the late Sheff Utd storm, which so many teams have succumbed too this season. Good point"

fter our next 2 away games (dale & monks) we will have played the top 8 sides away from home this season.

"Keep our home form going into 2015 and pick up some away wins against lower sides and we would be in there fighting come May !!!"

"great point considering we played twelve men. that ref was an arsehole. "

Refereeing was disgraceful. Ibehre's first booking to giving them throw ins that never were their's, he was appalling.

"Not a bad performance I thought by ourselves. We seemed to lose all footballing ability once they scored though. Johnson and Mills in particular couldn't pick out a player in blue. Decent result, but off the first half alone we should've scored more than a single goal. "

"Looking at their their forum, nice to see we are being recognised rather than patronised "

"My feeling is the ref was so poor the team should be applauded for hanging on it was literally 10 v 12 saying that we battered them for an hour and should of been out of site. "

"We don't half get some shocking refs against the blunts... Thought we were excellent and deserved a win, there was only one team in it till their goal which gave then belief and they looked lively for a 10 or so minute period before it went a bit quiet. JCR always does well against us."

"We have lead away at Posh, Sheff u and Chesterfield. We need to start killing teams off. Wilsons chance goes in and we win that game despite playing against 12 men. Worst referee I've seen in a long time."

"Could have won
Could have lost
Draw is probably fair "

"happy with that point but fuming with the referee."

They're near to Manchester and if players can't get a London club Manchester is a good fallback. Beckfords gone to PNE beats crossing the Pennines and joining a team having its name and 125 history dragged through the gutter by the board.
What a signing for Preston that is,he'll rip this league a new one.

There's laws of the land and acceptable moral behaviour. The board misjudged the general public feeling and reaction (forget feminist actavists they did as much damage as Ched for rape victims).
If they and Ched had played this right and stayed out of the limelight, not tried to soon to get him back in and waited at least until the laws of the land decided if he had leave to appeal it might have been a different story. If in 2 years he's cleared his name he still has 4/5 good years in him.
If he does get off there is a lot of humble pie to be eaten but he will always be referred to as the rapist, that's human nature. The risk is we won't be remembered in my lifetime for being the oldest professional ground in the world with a historic and proud 125 years history but for being the club that played a convicted rapist.
SUFC is a brand and a global name and the board have a responsibility to protect that brand and good name. Their actions in handling this situation must rank in the top ten Ratner* moments. As a businessman MCabe has made some great achievements and been guilty of some epic gaffe decisions getting us to the PL, to the third tier and keeping us there.

*Ratner moments - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gerald-ratner-and-the-top-10-business-1305316

There's laws of the land and acceptable moral behaviour. The board misjudged the general public feeling and reaction (forget feminist actavists they did as much damage as Ched for rape victims).
If they and Ched had played this right and stayed out of the limelight, not tried to soon to get him back in and waited at least until the laws of the land decided if he had leave to appeal it might have been a different story. If in 2 years he's cleared his name he still has 4/5 good years in him.
If he does get off there is a lot of humble pie to be eaten but he will always be referred to as the rapist, that's human nature. The risk is we won't be remembered in my lifetime for being the oldest professional ground in the world with a historic and proud 125 years history but for being the club that played a convicted rapist.
SUFC is a brand and a global name and the board have a responsibility to protect that brand and good name. Their actions in handling this situation must rank in the top ten Ratner* moments. As a businessman MCabe has made some great achievements and been guilty of some epic gaffe decisions getting us to the PL, to the third tier and keeping us there.

*Ratner moments - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gerald-ratner-and-the-top-10-business-1305316
SUFC is a "global name"? Not really. Most people I speak to here have never heard of Sheffield United; to be honest they've not heard of many outside the usual suspects in the Premier League. I didn't see any mention on the news over here about Evans either.

Ref was usual L1 standard....piss poor. Don't know why anyone expects anything better.

We were awful, too many players having an off-day, Murphy didn't fancy it, neither did Baxter. Flynn was ineffective and although Scougall ran about a lot he was trying to do too much and so nearly gave the ball away on far too many occasions. Our forward play until JCR came on was none-existant, (side-to-side) hence Basham being the furthest player forward on more than one occasion. We played with 2 wide men but had zero width with the full-backs seldom over-lapping.

Oldham were very good and I think rather than us having a bad day they actually limited us as an attacking force until JCR came on. Going forward I would urge NC and his team to watch the full 90 from Saturday again and see what playing 2 strikers can bring with a creative midfielder behind them plus the same players defending from the front....then bin this false 9 bollocks once and for all.

but he will always be referred to as the rapist, that's human nature. The risk is we won't be remembered in my lifetime for being the oldest professional ground in the world with a historic and proud 125 years history but for being the club that played a convicted rapist.
Well, that's your take on it....not mine or many others, I assume.
Do you have any optimism for the human race?

"We don't half get some shocking refs against the blunts... "

Having seen FOUR separate refs reduce us to 9 men against them I would delve back in history before coming out with shite like that.

I thought it was only thick Barnsley cunts who think "blunt" is the opposite of Blade but seems like these lot are bred from the same stock.

I thought it was only thick Barnsley cunts who think "blunt" is the opposite of Blade but seems like these lot are bred from the same stock.

Is there an opposite of Blade?
If anything I would have thought that was "Owl"

As Antonyms go I am not entirely sure there are any for "Blade"

It's a logical thought process to go from Blade to sharp to blunt and it's only two steps - of course they will have had help to draw the conclusion.
It takes a special person to get from Athletic to Latic though - WTF is that all about?

Weirdly, although Oldham dominated the first half, it was only after they'd scored. I actually thought we started well, conceded from a sucker punch and then never recovered and were lucky to go in only one down at half time.

One positive is that we played so poorly against a team in and around us at the top and didn't lose. It's not ideal but we got a point and kept the ball rolling.

Back
Top Bottom