View From CU

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Roygbiv

Reaction score
“losing always puts me in a bad mood but tonight... Something else! I feel sick”

“Don't care about the performance right now. When you win away and are then 2 up at home, you have to win. The game's about momentum. “

“Wish we could play like utter ****e for 80 minutes and win jammy ******s“

“Ouch just ouch”

“Never seen anything like that. We we're great for 82 minutes “

“I'm sorry It dont care how well we played you don't concede 3 goals in 5minutes it's not unlucky it's woeful and **** defending “

“I think I may be scarred for life after that”

“We are far better than the table shows. How can we have picked up so few points when we have played so well. It breaks my heart “

“One question - why do we always seem to play the ****** in August or midweek. Should really be one of the bigger attendances of the season but the fixture list conspires against us. “

“Well, that was the typical cliched game of 85 90ths”

“Sheffield Utd did nothing for 83 minutes Then bang! good performance thrown away “

“How the absolute **** did we lose to that pony Sheffield united team”

“Even Blades boss Nigel Clough has just slagged off his players, in his post-match press conference”

“Even the sheffield manager cant believe they won”

“I could cry. I don't get it?”

“I'm going to bed”

“I'm speechless. We were brilliant for 80 mins. And we were colchester united for the last 10 “

“2 Blades fans I spoke to on the way also said there second goal was offside, one also felt it was offside in the build up to the pen. Never known a club to be so unlucky with ref decisions. “

“Shame only 2579 home fans turned up. “

“Totally undeserved 3 points for Sheffield United tonight”

“Words cannot describe... “

“Inconsolable after that. First half was the best I've seen us play for a long time.
There's no specific explanation for the last 10 minutes, other than the obvious, the 1st goal gave them the momentum that caused what hapenned. Once they equalised there was only going to be one outcome. They had looked mediocre the entire game. “

“We played the best football”

“Gutted. played really well for 80 minutes against a pretty poor Sheffield United side. We hit the post, had a goal disallowed and were 2-0 up with seven minutes to go, and get turned over? Pathetic. “

“How are we going to achieve Champions League football within 5 years if we can't close out games like this?”

“Although we lost, i haven't seen us play that well for a very very long time.”

“Unforgivable to capitulate like that. “

“We played very well for 82 mins or so, but then lost control of the game and gave away 3 goals. Shame as we could / should have had at least one or two more goals. Pity that we didn't make alternative subs in my opinion but you have to look at the positives I guess and it was a good performance overall. “

“My view was we were good for 65 mins and played high up the pitch which put them under pressure, we then started to drop deeper and I thought Sheffield started to look like they were turning it. Freddie then gets the 2nd from a goalkeeping error and I thought we had won it no problems however we made a strange substitution and continued to sit too deep which led to the first goal which i thought they were going to get before we went 2-0 up. The rest was just poor from every angle and sometimes in football you need an old head to steady the ship? “

“Well,
that was the typical clichéd game of 85 90ths”
“Sheffield
Utd did nothing for 83 minutes Then bang! good performance thrown
away “

“How
the absolute fuck did we lose to that pony Sheffield united
team”

“EvenBlades
boss Nigel Clough has just slagged off his players, in his post-match
press conference”

“Even
the sheffield manager cant believe they won”
“I
could cry. I don't get it?”

“I'm
going to bed”

“I'm
speechless. We were brilliant for 80 mins. And we were colchester
united for the last 10 “

Absolutely
certain their 2nd was offside, and the 3rd was a clear offside in
the build up to the penalty. We didn't deserve that and been let
down by poor officiating IMO. Anyone else sat that end of the west
stand who could also confirm what I saw??!

“2
Blades fans I spoke to on the way also said there second goal was
offside, one also felt it was offside in the build up to the pen.
Never known a club to be so unlucky with ref decisions.

“Shame
only 2579 home fans turned up.

“Totally
undeserved 3 points for Sheffield United tonight”

“Words
cannot describe... “

“Inconsolable
after that. First half was the best I've seen us play for a long
time.
There's
no specific explanation for the last 10 minutes, other than the
obvious, the 1st goal gave them the momentum that caused what
hapenned. Once they equalised there was only going to be one outcome.
They had looked mediocre the entire game.

“We played the best football”

“Gutted. played
really well for 80 minutes against a pretty poor Sheffield United
side. We hit the post, had a goal disallowed and were 2-0 up with
seven minutes to go, and get turned over? Pathetic.

“How
are we going to achieve Champions League football within 5 years if
we can't close out games like this?”

“Although
we lost, i haven't seen us play that well for a very very long
time.”
“Unforgivable
to capitulate like that.

“We
played very well for 82 mins or so, but then lost control of the game
and gave away 3 goals. Shame as we could / should have had at least
one or two more goals. Pity that we didn't make alternative subs in
my opinion but you have to look at the positives I guess and it was a
good performance overall.

“My
view was we were good for 65 mins and played high up the pitch which
put them under pressure, we then started to drop deeper and I thought
Sheffield started to look like they were turning it. Freddie then
gets the 2nd from a goalkeeping error and I thought we had won it no
problems however we made a strange substitution and continued to sit
too deep which led to the first goal which i thought they were going
to get before we went 2-0 up. The rest was just poor from every angle
and sometimes in football you need an old head to steady the ship?

Spoke to some on the bus back into Colchester, they said it was the best they'd seen them play for a long time... They were gutted but laughing about it with us.

Sorry about the formatting. This has happened the last few times Ive copied and pasted from Word. I'll have it sorted by saturday

Col u fans sounding rather wounded after that ... Fantastic !

UTB

Should the 2nd of their goals have been disallowed? Clough said in the post-match interview that Howard had 2 hands on the ball and it was kicked from him.

Cheers Roy.

Just imagine how a section of Blades would react if this were the other way round...

“I'm sorry It dont care how well we played you don't concede 3 goals in 5minutes it's not unlucky it's woeful and **** defending “

Many of our fans should read this. It works both ways. Colchester were counting their chickens at 2-0. Many Blades were ready to tear their season ticket up. I can relate to that Colchester fan above and translate to a Sheff Utd comment..

"I'm sorry, I don't care how badly we played. We scored 3 goals in 5 minutes and won the game. Great spirit united"

Should the 2nd of their goals have been disallowed? Clough said in the post-match interview that Howard had 2 hands on the ball and it was kicked from him.
Now I've seen it I think it could have been a foul or a corner. He didn't exactly have a hold of the ball though, so maybe he wasn't deemed to have been in control of it. Was certainly a strange one!

Now I've seen it I think it could have been a foul or a corner. He didn't exactly have a hold of the ball though, so maybe he wasn't deemed to have been in control of it. Was certainly a strange one!

It was a clear foul

A goalkeeper is not permitted to keep control of the ball in his hands for more
than six seconds. A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball:
• while the ball is between his hands or between his hand and any surface
(e.g. ground, own body)
• while holding the ball in his outstretched open hand
• while in the act of bouncing it on the ground or tossing it into the air

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/clubfootball/01/37/04/28/law12-en.pdf

Sometimes it pays to be mangnanimous in victory. We aren't so good at that are we?

It was a clear foul

A goalkeeper is not permitted to keep control of the ball in his hands for more
than six seconds. A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball:
• while the ball is between his hands or between his hand and any surface
(e.g. ground, own body)
• while holding the ball in his outstretched open hand
• while in the act of bouncing it on the ground or tossing it into the air

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/clubfootball/01/37/04/28/law12-en.pdf
I'm not sure touching it with your finger tips while desperately trying to roll it away from your opponent without taking it out of play counts :)

I'm not sure touching it with your finger tips while desperately trying to roll it away from your opponent without taking it out of play counts :)

It look's to me like he had his hand on the ball when it was kicked away from him. Hence a foul.

Just looked at it again, he seems to lose control of the ball, and then the attacker has a stab at it and doesn't get great contact - No foul.

Howard then gets a hand on top of the ball, and then the attacker takes a second swing and kicks it out from underneath his hand - foul in my book.

1:51 in.

Sometimes it pays to be mangnanimous in victory. We aren't so good at that are we?

aye, their quotes are very much what you would expect, given the situation and circumstances of their defeat. Does make me wonder, if the shoe was on the other foot and we'd lost in that way, what the quotes from on here would be like.

It look's to me like he had his hand on the ball when it was kicked away from him. Hence a foul.

Just looked at it again, he seems to lose control of the ball, and then the attacker has a stab at it and doesn't get great contact - No foul.

Howard then gets a hand on top of the ball, and then the attacker takes a second swing and kicks it out from underneath his hand - foul in my book.

1:51 in.

If anything it looks like Howard's second go at it pushes the ball back into the box with his left hand. Very difficult to see how much he had on it so I don't think it's one to complain about (and Bladesway makes a valid point there!).

If anything it looks like Howard's second go at it pushes the ball back into the box with his left hand. Very difficult to see how much he had on it so I don't think it's one to complain about (and Bladesway makes a valid point there!).

I think the point is that it looks pretty clear thatv when the ball is kicked away, Howard has his hand on the ball. That makes it a clear foul. 95 times out a 100 you would see that given as a foul.

However, as you say, we won, so let's be magnanimous :)

Nah, i think it's pretty clear that his hand is on top of the ball when the defender nicks it.

aye, their quotes are very much what you would expect, given the situation and circumstances of their defeat. Does make me wonder, if the shoe was on the other foot and we'd lost in that way, what the quotes from on here would be like.

Implosion, rioting in the streets and fist fighting in the stand spring to mind.

I think the point is that it looks pretty clear thatv when the ball is kicked away, Howard has his hand on the ball. That makes it a clear foul. 95 times out a 100 you would see that given as a foul.

However, as you say, we won, so let's be magnanimous :)

Ultimately it didn't matter, but an interesting debate none the less, and I see it totally differently.

Sears touches or comes close to touching the ball twice.

The first time is at a moment when the ball is rolling towards the line. Howard is on the floor and his body is sliding away from the ball so that the ball is barely in his reach. He grasps at it with one hand, and his hand appears to touch one side of the ball. At the same moment Sears moves his boot towards the other side of the ball. Sears' touch of the ball could not have been any more delicate, and looking at the movement of the ball, I suspect he may not have touched it at all. It is actually Howard's touch on the side of the ball which pushes it away from his glove.

As the ball moves away from his glove (and now with Sears' boot well away from the ball) Howard grasps at the ball with both hands. It is only within the reach of his fingertips, and as he closes his fingertips on the ball he succeeds only in squirting it out and away from him, straight back to Sears. Sears takes his second touch of the ball in knocking it away from Howard (at a moment when Howard is not touching it at all) and then Sears is away and in possession.

For me the only possible question mark over the goal is whether the ball was actually out of play between Sears' first and second touch. It's not possible to be certain from the camera angle, but I suspect the full circumference of the ball didn't quite cross the centre of the line.

Good play by Sears in my opinion, and an excellent, and brave, decision by the referee. I think on about 75% of occasions those circumstances would have resulted in a free-kick being given - but I think in those 75% of cases it would be the wrong decision.

I remember seeing United at Wolves in the mid 90s, 2-0 up as the scoreboard hit 90 minutes, 5 minutes later it was 2-2, absolutely gutted at the time.

It's f***ing brilliant when the boots on the other foot though :)

Back
Top Bottom