View From Crawley

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Pleased we don't have to watch that style of football every week. Although some of our fans still call for it.

"They controlled the game but didn't test our back four"
Says a lot.

"No end product" is the cliche to cover this one isn't it?
To be fair Doyle was unlucky not to score twice, Done and McNulty both had it not quite fall for them a yard out, good save from Brayford's shot and we nearly scored from a corner. Just unlucky.

To be fair Doyle was unlucky not to score twice, Done and McNulty both had it not quite fall for them a yard out, good save from Brayford's shot and we nearly scored from a corner. Just unlucky.

I thought we were unlucky and didn't play that bad . Thing is we ain't going to win every game . The teams above us will also drop points , but in reality we are too far behind to catch em. We have just got to keep the spirit and momentum going for the play offs.

Also the play offs are not a certainty or given right , never mind thinking we have a chance for the top two.

UTB

I thought we were unlucky and didn't play that bad . Thing is we ain't going to win every game . The teams above us will also drop points , but in reality we are too far behind to catch em. We have just got to keep the spirit and momentum going for the play offs.

Also the play offs are not a certainty or given right , never mind thinking we have a chance for the top two.

UTB
You're always going to have games where, despite being the better side, you don't quite get the win. Sadly we've had a few too many this year and that's what'll cost us.

Interesting cross-section of comments.
However, not one of them refer to Crawley's gamesmanship, constant fouling and cynical attempts to hurt some of our players. 5 yellow cards for them says it all.
Crawley's players also raised the bar for time wasting tactics during a football match. Indeed, Price, their goalkeeper, seemed to be having some sort of bet with his defenders over how long it would take for taking a goal kick during the second half.
In front of an appreciative audience of travelling Blades, many of whom no doubt are keen gardeners themselves, he carefully tended his six yard area with the ball in his hand, as an audience of thousands waited patiently for him to propel the ball up the field.
He carefully patted any piece of turf that was out of place and any nasty stud marks were repaired with great care. I half expected him to take some scissors to any stray blades of grass that could spoil the overall effect.
Their number 26 - Wordsworth, was another who got away with this type of thing all afternoon.
A stronger referee would have spotted and done something about his constant fouling and blatant gamesmanship. This man must have won awards for kicking the ball away and using opposing players for target practice. He was always first to approach the referee when he didn't like a decision and when he did receive a long overdue yellow card, it was given almost apologetically from the referee who by then, had become Wordsworth's best mate.
No wonder their fans were delighted with the result !!

The most telling stat is how many times you make the goalkeeper work or how many times you create an opening to shoot.

Brentford are a footballing side and against poor side (Blackpool) they had 42 shots and scored 4. I know it's a record and is probably not that representative but that's the sort of dominance we need to exert on the poorer teams in this league. Any fooker can piss about with the ball on the half way line and keep over 50% possession but we all know that it's what you do in the final third that counts and if your set pieces and corners are as wank as ours are then you had better make sure you can create some space behind their defence.

That's the problem we have, though. Opposition coaches know that they need to stop us getting in and behind cos that's where we can rip teams apart. However, we are shit at the aerial stuff (meat and drink to the way most of the teams in this league are set up) and we don't appear to have an option to switch or alter the play whilst Higdon is still in the treatment room. That's not just the attacking play its also defending - like the goal Crawley scored. It wasn't a spectacular ball in just a difficult one to defend of you don't pick up the danger men correctly and don't have the height in there. Higdon would make a difference to not conceding at such set plays - that or a more dominant CB who can head the ball better.

You're always going to have games where, despite being the better side, you don't quite get the win. Sadly we've had a few too many this year and that's what'll cost us.
So what does that really tell you about the term "better side" when referring to us this season? It certainly isn't a possession stat.

Who is the "better side" from those that can pass the ball between them without creating a scoring opportunity or those that can win games effectively / grind out a result in this league? If it's happening that often I think it's arrogant to say we are the "better side" just 'cos we pass it about more than the oppo do. Many of these teams don't have the wage bill we have so have to play to the strengths of the players they have. We shouldn't be belittling teams in this league, as we used to be castigated in the higher leagues ourselves, for playing to the strengths that the available personnel allow.

The better sides at the end of a season will be those promoted.
That's the final measure. They tend to be the ones that score the most goals as well and that's a byproduct of creating decent goal scoring chances - and having the personnel to finish them.

We're beginning to get there but given the imperative to win and take advantage of others lapses at this stage of the season we need to be a far better side than we are currently exhibiting. Preston scored 4 at Oldham. First from a corner after 66 seconds. Second from a midfielder breaking through and cracking a belter. 3 and 4 from pressuring the defence (now low on confidence) into two dreadful errors that led to a goal.
It's about a mixture of things and not just pass pass pass - there has to be purpose and too many times this season that's the thing that has been sadly lacking.

Now, of course it's not over - MKD and Swindon are in faltering form. Only Brizzle and Preston appear to be the "better sides" in this league. The way it is panning out is that those two will be promoted automatically and we will be in yet another play off situation. We could yet achieve a greater proportion of possession over a two leg play off semi and still not make the final. Would that constitute us being a "better side"?

Last edited:
So what does that really tell you about the term "better side" when referring to us this season? It certainly isn't a possession stat.

Who is the "better side" from those that can pass the ball between them without creating a scoring opportunity or those that can win games effectively / grind out a result in this league? If it's happening that often I think it's arrogant to say we are the "better side" just 'cos we pass it about more than the oppo do. Many of these teams don't have the wage bill we have so have to play to the strengths of the players they have. We shouldn't be belittling teams in this league, as we used to be castigated in the higher leagues ourselves, for playing to the strengths that the available personnel allow.

The better sides at the end of a season will be those promoted.
That's the final measure. They tend to be the ones that score the most goals as well and that's a byproduct of creating decent goal scoring chances - and having the personnel to finish them.

We're beginning to get there but given the imperative to win and take advantage of others lapses at this stage of the season we need to be a far better side than we are currently exhibiting. Preston scored 4 at Oldham. First from a corner after 66 seconds. Second from a midfielder breaking through and cracking a belter. 3 and 4 from pressuring the defence (now low on confidence) into two dreadful errors that led to a goal.
It's about a mixture of things and not just pass pass pass - there has to be purpose and too many times this season that's the thing that has been sadly lacking.

Now, of course it's not over - MKD and Swindon are in faltering form. Only Brizzle and Preston appear to be the "better sides" in this league. The way it is panning out is that those two will be promoted automatically and we will be in yet another play off situation. We could yet achieve a greater proportion of possession over a two leg play off semi and still not make the final. Would that constitute us being a "better side"?
It's got nothing to do with possession. More the fact we were all over them all game and they barely got out of their half. We moved the ball around the final third looking for openings and were unlucky not to score more. Being the better side doesn't simply constitute winning, as things don't always happen as they should.

We scored 4 against Colchester, what's your point? Preston are in a good run of form, but having seen us against them numerous times I think we're a better team. They've benefitted from having a nasty streak we lack, but looking long term you get further playing as we are, and I'd much rather watch us than these various physical sides. Lack of money isn't an excuse, plenty of smaller sides are playing decent football nowadays.

Bristol and MK Dons are by no means direct, Swindon play passing football, the only arguable ones are Preston, and you won't get near the top of the Championship playing like that. Our issue has been an occasional lack of urgency, and luck, which has seemed to go our way a bit more lately.

It's got nothing to do with possession. More the fact we were all over them all game and they barely got out of their half. We moved the ball around the final third looking for openings and were unlucky not to score more. Being the better side doesn't simply constitute winning, as things don't always happen as they should.

We scored 4 against Colchester, what's your point? Preston are in a good run of form, but having seen us against them numerous times I think we're a better team. They've benefitted from having a nasty streak we lack, but looking long term you get further playing as we are, and I'd much rather watch us than these various physical sides. Lack of money isn't an excuse, plenty of smaller sides are playing decent football nowadays.

Bristol and MK Dons are by no means direct, Swindon play passing football, the only arguable ones are Preston, and you won't get near the top of the Championship playing like that. Our issue has been an occasional lack of urgency, and luck, which has seemed to go our way a bit more lately.

The main difference between us and the teams above us is:

- they have had better strikers all season

- they have bigger, stronger players.

This disparity may cause problems in the playoffs, though I at least expect us to get there.

i was looking at Crawleys recent results and they have starting turning teams over.. i reckon that's not a bad result in the cold light of (next) day and will probably be the most difficult match of the run in

The main difference between us and the teams above us is:

- they have had better strikers all season

- they have bigger, stronger players.

This disparity may cause problems in the playoffs, though I at least expect us to get there.
I think the strength thing has been aided by Coutts. Even though we lost to MK I thought we could have won both. Swindon probably looked the best of the potential play off opponents and we beat them, so we've got a chance. True about strikers but few of them would have been reccomended at the start of the season, you often get people having a good year in league one, and the goals probably came as a result of creating more chances rather than better strikers. It's not as if we've missed loads of chances this year.

True about strikers but few of them would have been reccomended at the start of the season, you often get people having a good year in league one, and the goals probably came as a result of creating more chances rather than better strikers. It's not as if we've missed loads of chances this year.

I think it's half and half. We have had a few games where chances have not been taken and we've not won (Orient home, Bristol C home, Barnsley home) but by and larger when we've not won it's often because we haven't taken risks or we haven't had anyone to get on the end of the crosses that do come in.

That was why I was annoyed about JCR going - like Murphy he goes to the byline and can get the ball in the area, which Done has shown he can score from. Flynn and Davies do not do this, so done will not benefit.

I would agree re Coutts and I hope that Scougall is nowhere near the first XI when he gets fit.

But for all the pressure and playing a majority of the game in their half (by the way that constitutes possession) how many saves did the keeper make? How many shots were cleared off the line (not blocked as the player shoots because that is not a clear cut chance)? And winning the majority of your games makes you a "better side" in the league. The best one wins it and to do that you have to win more games than anyone else, ergo.....

Agree with you totally that we are set up for playing in a higher division and Preston may well struggle if they don't adapt in the Championship. The issue is that we are not set up to beat the "standard" teams in this division, as often as not, NOW. Preston have that edge, both physically and mentally (your aptly named nasty streak), which means they will steamroller teams - much as Wendy did 3 years ago. whereas we cannot. It's not a dimension we can call upon. Crewe is an example of a club looking to play tidy football on a very low budget and growing home talent but they are a million miles away from challenging for promotion because of the relative size of the club and the resources at their disposal. We are not looking to be a Crewe, though, are we?

If promotion is the aim then we have to be adaptable to win matches regardless of who we are playing. If we had the strikers at the start of the season I think we would be in the top two already, for sure, but we are playing catch up (again) and we still lack the quality overall to make our modus operandi of out-footballing teams a superiority instead of (sometimes) a liability.

Last edited:

All the top teams and around us all seem to have a nasty streak and a boat load of gamesmanship , when its suits . Now us blades don't go for that sort of thing and will not play the game like that . Whether it cost us getting out of this league only time will tell . The masters of this were Charlton when they got promoted . Give me a dose of being nasty , time wasting , if it gets us out of this league .

UTB

All the top teams and around us all seem to have a nasty streak and a boat load of gamesmanship , when its suits . Now us blades don't go for that sort of thing and will not play the game like that . Whether it cost us getting out of this league only time will tell . The masters of this were Charlton when they got promoted . Give me a dose of being nasty , time wasting , if it gets us out of this league .

UTB

Well we've had 3 players sent off this season for appalling 2 footed tackles, so there's some nastiness there.

I think it's half and half. We have had a few games where chances have not been taken and we've not won (Orient home, Bristol C home, Barnsley home) but by and larger when we've not won it's often because we haven't taken risks or we haven't had anyone to get on the end of the crosses that do come in.

That was why I was annoyed about JCR going - like Murphy he goes to the byline and can get the ball in the area, which Done has shown he can score from. Flynn and Davies do not do this, so done will not benefit.

I would agree re Coutts and I hope that Scougall is nowhere near the first XI when he gets fit.
I think the lack of risk taking is down to a fear of abuse if they don't come off, which are crowd is particulary bad for. Whereas you see other clubs applauding the thought more often.

But for all the pressure and playing a majority of the game in their half (by the way that constitutes possession) how many saves did the keeper make? How many shots were cleared off the line (not blocked as the player shoots because that is not a clear cut chance)? And winning the majority of your games makes you a "better side" in the league. The best one wins it and to do that you have to win more games than anyone else, ergo.....

Agree with you totally that we are set up for playing in a higher division and Preston may well struggle if they don't adapt in the Championship. The issue is that we are not set up to beat the "standard" teams in this division, as often as not, NOW. Preston have that edge, both physically and mentally (your aptly named nasty streak), which means they will steamroller teams - much as Wendy did 3 years ago. whereas we cannot. It's not a dimension we can call upon. Crewe is an example of a club looking to play tidy football on a very low budget and growing home talent but they are a million miles away from challenging for promotion because of the relative size of the club and the resources at their disposal. We are not looking to be a Crewe, though, are we?

If promotion is the aim then we have to be adaptable to win matches regardless of who we are playing. If we had the strikers at the start of the season I think we would be in the top two already, for sure, but we are playing catch up (again) and we still lack the quality overall to make our modus operandi of out-footballing teams a superiority instead of (sometimes) a liability.
We had at least one off the line, and a few near misses, whether it's the case in other games or not I think yesterday we were unlucky.

I think you can get out playing as we are, you just have to do it well. We can be like Crewe in ethos, but due to our resources we can add players who are better at implementing our style. Swansea have played nice football for a few years, gradually adding better and better players. I'm sure they had plenty of times when fans bemoaned aimless passing, and I'm sure they still do as it can't click every game.

I think our main issue, and difference from last year, is an overly static central midfield at times. Some games we've played Reed, Doyle and a sitting Basham. All good players but none get up with the forward. Last season an in form Scougall, and more significantly, Coady, offered this. Not only did Conor run past the forward, he also carried the ball to the final third. Not re signing him has cost up top two (not the sole reason but significant). I'd argue that was far more important than lack of strikers as we won plenty last year with no striker. On a similar note we lost Maguire's ability to bring the ball forward and push teams back.

Good posts on this thread.

We are short of strikers to see the season out, including the play-offs. Injuries and suspensions to Done leave us woefully short.

Equally as important, a midfield 5 of : Flynn, Coutts, Doyle, Basham, Murphy is seriously short of creativity and goalscorers - only Murphy does goals and assists, with Flynn being OK from time to time, depending on his confidence.

This is where the Baxter and Scougall bashers ( and I am one of the latter types!) need to be careful what they wish for. Reed gets no games these days, why not? Fingers crossed for Wallace's fitness. We shouldn't take the field with only two/ three players who can realistically assist or score goals.

The loan out of Ryce is bewildering frankly.

The main issues we have are:

height: both offensively and defensively. We don't score from corners or set pieces and we give many goals away there. All teams need to do to beat us is spoil all our play and loft high balls into the box when they get a chance.

Drive from midfield: As pointed out above, we're seriously missing Coady's driving runs forward. Our midfield tend to sit and pass, not get ahead of the striker. And playing one striker, you need the midfield to do that.

Goals: we set up to not conceded and dominate midfield. We more often than not pose hardly any threat going forward. The only time we change is when we go for it and the end of games when behind. There's not enough goals in midfield to play the way we do. playing two wingers and a small man in the middle is a bit pointless.

Pace: When not playing a big team on TV, our passing is too slow and measured. That or we try the 1% balls. We don't move the ball quickly enough and our strength is when we isolate defenders. We give defences far too long to get back.

In order to go up, we need to play 2 teams in the play-offs who don't think of just throwing high balls into our box.

I think the lack of risk taking is down to a fear of abuse if they don't come off, which are crowd is particulary bad for. Whereas you see other clubs applauding the thought more often.

I disagree. It is down to instructions and a natural inclination not to do it.

I also disagree with what people have been booing or criticising. It is the lack of risk taking that they have (fairly) been critical of: Coventry away being the best example, where the team made little effort to take the game to the opposition. In my experience our crowd has always liked people who try things. It's players who hide and don't try things that they don't like.

Equally as important, a midfield 5 of : Flynn, Coutts, Doyle, Basham, Murphy is seriously short of creativity and goalscorers - only Murphy does goals and assists, with Flynn being OK from time to time, depending on his confidence.

This is where the Baxter and Scougall bashers ( and I am one of the latter types!) need to be careful what they wish for. Reed gets no games these days, why not? Fingers crossed for Wallace's fitness. We shouldn't take the field with only two/ three players who can realistically assist or score goals.

The loan out of Ryce is bewildering frankly.

The midfield you name will create it Murphy fires on all cylinders and the full backs help them - both have been happening of late.

Baxter can be of use, but I have given up on Scougall this season and it is telling that we have done well with him not playing and Reed getting little airtime: a bigger midfield seems to be helping.

If Murphy gets injured - God forbid - JCR must come back. It is the strangest decision Clough's made this season, and that's saying something.

we've spent 1.5 million on a marauding wing back. If we're going to play the way we do, surely setting up like this would be better:

Turner/Howard

Brayford Kennedy Basham J-Mac Harris

Doyle Reed/Flynn

Coutts

Done Murphy

whether that would work on not is another story, but imo our best 3 wide players are Brayford, Murphy and Harris. It relies on both strikers heavily running the channels and coutts and Reed, Flynn making forward runs into the box.

Back
Top Bottom