View from Brad

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Roygbiv

Reaction score
"77 mins before our first attempt on target. Dreadful."

"Sheff Utd could be really good if they signed a decent striker....."

"they were lucky to get their second and truthfully i thought we were the better side in the 2nd half even though darby is a humongous muppet"

"I've no idea how it wasn't a penalty or how McArdle stayed on the pitch - but he did and looking back it's quite funny so there's no need to berate him"

"watch the referee....he clearly acknowledges that he sees it.....and points as if to say he isnt buying it...only thing that could have been better is if he booked him for diving."

"I just cant imagine any referee giving a penalty for that. There was absolutely NO attacking momentum for Sheff Utd, they had lost the ball and it was being carried away. I can see a case for McArdle being booked after play stops but every referee would use their common sense there and not give a penalty because put simply, sheff utd had lost no advantage whatsoever as a result of the incident hence giving a penalty would be ridiculous."

"I love the nonchalant walk-off by Rory after he's launched the midget! You'd never guess he is an Owls fan would you?"

"We smashed Sheffield United at times today, with only ten men. After a lacklustre, boring first half performance, once we'd adjusted to having ten men (and admittedly after we were 1-0 down) we absolutely bombarded Sheffield, they couldn't defend against us even with the man advantage! We could have had FIVE and Sheffield United COULD NOT COPE. I have no qualms about losing, but let's face facts - when we ATTACKED, we terrified Sheffield, they didn't know how to deal with us and they failed to cope very well. Valley Parade is a fortress of sound, the support was brilliant today, and when we were attacking there wouldn't be a side in the division capable of halting us without a ton of luck."

"Deluded. Completely, utterly deluded. Sheffield started to defend, AFTER they had gone ahead. It's what most teams do FFS.
GET A GRIP!!!!"

"Defended?! Got completely overran more like. If you thought that they 'defended' or 'tactically adjusted' well at all, you're absolutely bonkers.they certainly didn't earn a clean sheet."

"So we smashed them but didn't have a shot in anger until 70+ mins?Go on explain how that is "smashing" a team??"

"It's a very common trait in football games. Team goes ahead, sit back and the other team have to go for it. They don't have much choice!
Who were the better team prior to their first goal?"

"after going ahead Sheff Utd went into their shell and we had several opportunities to equalise. Yes teams tend to have to defend more after taking the lead, but Sheff Utd sat back when they probably didn't need to. In doing so, they invited us onto them. We really should have scored before they got their second and who knows what would have happened if Kennedy had buried his header? I wouldn't say we smashed them, but we certainly should have equalised at the very least. Sheff Utd hardly took us apart and their goals have cone from a fantastic strike from outside the area plus, essentially, a fluke. In the 2nd half their keeper had far more to do than Pickford. Let's not be overly negative eh?"

"They were better the entire first half on account of actually creating some chances, while we created zip.I'm not denying that, I'm not EVEN denying that Sheffield deserved to win, what I'm saying is pretty clear - when we got going, with ten men, they couldn't handle us AT ALL and are very, very, very fortunate to walk away with a 2-0 win."

"If there's a way to lose a game then that's it.
I know we lost, but in a strange way I actually enjoyed the match"

"A mediocre team beat us. The game was killed by an inept referee. They got away with some blatant fouls. Rory Mac can take up a career in WWF given his wonderful throw of their striker in the second half. Crap refing and the game being killed as a result of Derby's sending off. "

"Some are saying Cloughy was getting rather annoyed once they had taken the lead and in all honesty I don't blame him we were down to ten men they had taken the lead through a well taken strike and then started knocking the ball around but going no where hardly making us chase the ball which good teams do when the opposition are reduced to ten men, then Phil Parkinson change it and obviously said lets give it a go from that point IMO we took the game to Sheffield who rode their luck several times with their keeper keeping being outstanding at times and keeping it to 1-0, then Davies makes a rare mistake and were 2-0 down game over but to suggest Sheffield dominated is a little false, not blaming the ref today but he was poor to say the least, the first mistake he made was when our player (forgot who it was) got tripped he allowed play to continue then never even spoke to the Sheffield player who did the foul, if as a ref your going to be good/bad at least be consistent which I don't think Mr Simon Hooper was today, the last 15 minutes or so we certainly had chances to equalise and who knows if we had could we have gone on to win it as Sheffield were on the rack at times during that period.
PS another baffling ref decision was the dive in the box by the Sheffield player either it was a penalty or he was trying to con the ref yet the ref just had a word no card no penalty"

If Sheff U are a mediocre team, I can't wait to see some of the good ones

"Fact is they had about four good chances in the first half all created with lovely passing football / movement if that's "mediocre" to you - then your expectations are way too high"We actually did OK all game, considering we were playing a team who will be in the Top 4, have bigger resources than us and start from a better position than us"

"Soon as they went ahead against 10 men, they mentally relaxed - so we then nearly took advantage
Is anyone foolish enough to think that if we'd equalised then Utd wouldn't have simply stepped up the gas?"

"I thought Sheffield utd were average today, but were still worthy of the win, they had more movement all over the pitch and until we sort this midfield mess out we are always going to struggle."

"Not impressed with Clough Jnr. His Old Man would be ashamed with some of those tactics. The diving, the badgering of the ref to book us every time we committed a foul etc. However, I really enjoyed the Dwarf-throwing in the 2nd half. It should be an Olympic event."

"Agree. Evident from the kick off when the centre backs were bleating about Hanson simply to try and get him in the book. Followed by a repeat on any challenge by a city player who had previously been booked. Pathetic."

"Was very proud today to be a bantam the fans showed some real class with no retaliation songs when the Blades fans disgracefully sang the name of a convicted criminal and called for him to return. So pleased we didn't stoop to that level."

"There were definitely songs sang about evans in the kop.she said no evans, she said no (to the tune of kum ba yah my lord)a couple of other too. thankfully not many joined in tho"

"Sounded good on tv, from both sets of fans."

"The atmosphere was excellent but some in the kop tried to get a 'rapist' chant going on a couple of occasions. Thankfully it died out quickly"

"The first goal was fantastic and worthy of winning any game! Very lucky 2nd though.How on earth didn't Sheffield United get a penalty though? I thought I was watching WWE when he slammed their player on the floor."

"we were a touch unlucky."

"The Blades were better than us, way before Darby's exit, "

"with 11 men on the pitch I doubt we'd have won the game."

"if it wasn`t for Davies` blunder, Sheff Utd would have sat back even further and allowed us to press. They didn`t know how to close a game down."

"Sheff Utd looked just about the better team going forward although didn't overly extend Pickford (when they probably should have done), I was surprised at how much they sat back"

"Why would anybody be surprised if Sheff Utd sat back at 1-0 at a man up? Honestly, FFS? They encouraged us in and then used the space, then (he who must never be criticised fooked up) and it was game over."

"distinctly average from both sides. Sheff Utd were ultimately a touch fortunate to go home with all 3 points which for me is actually quite poor on their part as, had they played it right, they could/should have been very comfortable"

"No club goes away in this division and wins 0-2 without being under some pressure at times, but that was a comfortable away win IMO. I don't think they were "fortunate" at all, as they were (IMO) the better team for 90% of the game."

"We were pretty hopeless for the first 75 minutes, didn't threaten the goal at all, and good in the last 15 when we finally created some decent chandes, over the course of the game they were well worth a solid away win - they squandered 3 one on ones in the first half with tame shits which match any of our later misses."

"I don't think The Blades were really stretched, they were better and won, that's all."

"Apart from Campbell Ryce I thought they were average although the first goal was good enough to win any game"

"I just cant imagine any referee giving a penalty for that. There was absolutely NO attacking momentum for Sheff Utd, they had lost the ball and it was being carried away. I can see a case for McArdle being booked after play stops but every referee would use their common sense there and not give a penalty because put simply, sheff utd had lost no advantage whatsoever as a result of the incident hence giving a penalty would be ridiculous."

That poster is an utter cretin.

mind=blown

I think they said the same thing in the studio after the game yesterday. They couldn't believe it wasn't a penalty but they put that forward as the only possible explanation as to why the ref didn't give it.

Well guesty, we did have someone questioning the validity of it being a penalty on this board, to me it was a straight red, definite penalty and the defender should have got at least a 5 match ban, as I said in another thread, if scougal had landed badly it could have been very dangerous, as it is scougal is saying he has a very sore neck today.
I'd like to hear the ref's justification for not giving it, he was less than 15 ft away, no way he could claim unsighted.
As for Bradford fans, a typical view some pro BCFC some saying we were far better, just a couple of posts that sounded a little deluded, if not down right stupid.
On to Tuesday night.
UTB

I think they said the same thing in the studio after the game yesterday. They couldn't believe it wasn't a penalty but they put that forward as the only possible explanation as to why the ref didn't give it.

It's still not a valid reason. It was a foul inside the penalty area so it should be a penalty. Whether it's an on the ball or off the ball incident is irrelevant.

"We smashed Sheffield United at times today, with only ten men. After a lacklustre, boring first half performance, once we'd adjusted to having ten men (and admittedly after we were 1-0 down) we absolutely bombarded Sheffield, they couldn't defend against us even with the man advantage! We could have had FIVE and Sheffield United COULD NOT COPE. I have no qualms about losing, but let's face facts - when we ATTACKED, we terrified Sheffield, they didn't know how to deal with us and they failed to cope very well. Valley Parade is a fortress of sound, the support was brilliant today, and when we were attacking there wouldn't be a side in the division capable of halting us without a ton of luck."

To be fair he's clearly taken stick from other posters on the Bradford forum for it, but is think this may be the most delusional post I've ever read. I agree we looked scared and on the backfoot after scoring the first, but what game was he watching were they could have had 5?

Part of me thinks it has to be sarcasm.

Isn't it just that he's unaware of the rules on this matter?

He takes his ignorance and runs with it. Every line there is coloured by complete cluelessness as to the situation.

Yes. As he thinks the situation (ball being carried away) is relevant he clearly thinks it's up to the referees to decide on such matters and is therefore arguing why he thinks it shouldn't have been given. He learned something new this weekend. ;)

Yes. As he thinks the situation (ball being carried away) is relevant he clearly thinks it's up to the referees to decide on such matters and is therefore arguing why he thinks it shouldn't have been given. He learned something new this weekend. ;)

Well to be perfectly honest, maybe the ref is unaware that off the ball fouls in the penalty area are still fouls...

A couple of the views on there are beyond what you would accept as expected bias from the opposition support. What utter crap.....are you sure they weren't from porktalk?

Didn't we get a penalty last season v Brentford for an off the ball incident involing Kitson or was it just a sending off ?

Yes and it's a perfectly valid decision to award a penalty for such off the ball incidents. Yesterday's incident beggared belief. We should really send a clip to the Ref's association and ask for some explanation.

Some might not remember the Brentford incident you mention because McMahon actually missed the penalty - para taken from BBC below

"Visiting skipper Craig saw red early in the second half for an off-the-ball altercation with Kitson in the area but the Blades were unable to make the most of the situation, with McMahon hitting the bar with his spot-kick."

Well to be perfectly honest, maybe the ref is unaware that off the ball fouls in the penalty area are still fouls...

If that was the case, they should sack him.

Fuck knows how he actually came to a decision to do nothing. Embarrassing.

Can only assume that the ref though Scougall had committed a foul by backing into McArdle.

It's still not a valid reason. It was a foul inside the penalty area so it should be a penalty. Whether it's an on the ball or off the ball incident is irrelevant.
My dad and I have a method of working these things out. Suppose team A is attacking, and nowhere near the ball a team A defender throws a team B forward to the floor in the centre circle, what would happen? Free kick to team B and a card, probably red for violent conduct, for the team A defender.

Put the incident in the centre circle and see what would happen. When the referee does not apply his/everyone's usual interpretation of the laws because, for reasons known only to himself, he does not want to award a penalty we refer to this as 'box rules' (or maybe it should be 'box laws').

The best example of this is probably Higdon's sending off. Ignoring the theatrics of the Chesterfield man, I don't think you can argue against a red card for that challenge. However if he'd done it in the box as the Chesterfield player hit a shot wide we'd have had a goalkick and 11 men on the field. Most referees operate a subconscious 'box rules' system. I once quizzed a referee mate of mine on late challenges (or 'fouls' as I call them) on players who have just taken a shot, and he said they wouldn't be fouls. I asked what if the defender had broken the attackers leg, and he mused that he would probably give a penalty and a red card.

I can only imagine that the entirety of the laws of the game are caveated with it all being 'as interpreted by the referee' so they can explain the inexplicable, knowing that referees will make completely baffling decisions regularly.
Can only assume that the ref though Scougall had committed a foul by backing into McArdle.
If he thought Scougall was backing in and it was a foul, then he must have been playing advantage as he'd lost possession (though I don't recall seeing him signal this). During the 'advantage' McArdle threw Scougs on the floor. At this point he must take action. Either he deems that there wasn't an advantage because allowing play to continue would result in us being awarded a penalty, so goes back to award Bradford a free kick, or he deems that the advantage was wasted by Bradford by conceding a ridiculous foul in the area and awards us a penalty. In both situations McArdle would receive punishment for his actions, arguably a red card. Based on my understanding of the advantage rule, I believe that a penalty would be the correct decision.

If he thought Scougall was backing in and it was a foul, then he must have been playing advantage as he'd lost possession (though I don't recall seeing him signal this). During the 'advantage' McArdle threw Scougs on the floor. At this point he must take action. Either he deems that there wasn't an advantage because allowing play to continue would result in us being awarded a penalty, so goes back to award Bradford a free kick, or he deems that the advantage was wasted by Bradford by conceding a ridiculous foul in the area and awards us a penalty. In both situations McArdle would receive punishment for his actions, arguably a red card. Based on my understanding of the advantage rule, I believe that a penalty would be the correct decision.

Absolutely, i think whatever way you look at it the referee has completely cocked it up :)

It's not a penalty. It's violent conduct and a red card but as it's nothing to do with play as such it's not a foul.

It's not a penalty. It's violent conduct and a red card but as it's nothing to do with play as such it's not a foul.
Dermot Gallagher has just been on SSN and said he can't even answer why the ref didn't give a penalty,he categorically said it was a penalty and i'd like to think he knows the rules better than any of us.

Just think about the jostling in the box for a corner scenario. If a defender (ala Shawcross) pulls the attacker to the floor and the ball is nowhere near then a penalty is given.

Not only is that categorically wrong but it did affect play - Scougall was prevented from challenging back for the ball.

Thinking about it, I can only think that it was one of those moments that was so surreal that the referee must have thought he imagined the incident, there is no justification for not awarding a penalty. I've seen some bizarre decisions in my time but that tops the lot

Back
Top Bottom