[VIDEO] Ben Davies completes the come back..

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Before he takes the penalty you hear:
"We don't deserve this."
"I don't care"
"Come on Blades!"

Just about sums it up.

UTFB

Good pen from Davies, assured, confident, and you just know you can rely on this guy to put it away. Well done Ben and well done you Blades.

That wasn't a good penalty. if the keeper had guessed right that would have been an easy save.

Sorry HB, isn't being awarded a penalty a guessing game? In this case Davies guessed correctly and the GK didn't.....isn't that how it works?

The point is, it wasn't in the corner, if the keeper had guessed right then it would have been saved. A good penalty is one that the keeper struggles to save even if they do go the right way.

The point is, it wasn't in the corner, if the keeper had guessed right then it would have been saved. A good penalty is one that the keeper struggles to save even if they do go the right way.

It was a goal, so obviously a good outcome. All i'm questioning is whether technically it was a good penalty or not.

Unless of course Davies sent the keeper the wrong way, in which case...

If you look at Davies' stance and his run up, if you were the goalie you would think he was set up to hit it to the goalie's right. So perhaps a good penalty in that respect?

If you look at Davies' stance and his run up, if you were the goalie you would think he was set up to hit it to the goalie's right. So perhaps a good penalty in that respect?

Ah, but a goalkeeper of reasonable intellect would know that Ben Davies was shaping up to shoot to the right, therefore only a great fool would choose to dive to his right, so he could clearly not dive to the right. But the keeper would also know that Ben Davies would not think the keeper a great fool, so he could clearly not dive to the left either!

Unless of course Davies sent the keeper the wrong way, in which case...

See above. Knowing a penalty takers habits are more important. If you don't know those, then you need to make a choice and commit 100% to that choice.

Davies gave the keeper a 50% chance of saving that penalty, i wouldn't call that 'good'

Of course he also gave himself a far better chance of not missing the target either.

See above. Knowing a penalty takers habits are more important. If you don't know those, then you need to make a choice and commit 100% to that choice.

Davies gave the keeper a 50% chance of saving that penalty, i wouldn't call that 'good'

Of course he also gave himself a far better chance of not missing the target either.

Unless he noted the keeper inching towards the right....

The very best goalkeepers just watch the ball, no guesswork involved.

There aren't that many in the EPL if this is true, as a good 50% of them dive out of the way of pens coming straight down the middle.

Plus if you watch the ball, you ain't saving a penalty that's in a corner, because by the time you've watched it, it's past you.

They will often decide before the ball is kicked, because they've been given the relevant stats.

My view is that you're not going to save it if the penalty is a good one - right in the corners or higher up than the keeper can stretch to - so there's little point in guessing as it's touch and go if this actually gives the keeper an advantage when averaged out over several pens.

Realistically, it's only if the pen taker fucks up you have a chance - so keepers should actually be patient and trust their shot stopping ability.
There are many more poor pens going in these days because of a "trend" of guessing.

Or perhaps he saw the keeper guess one way and then went the other?

Perhaps, if he did then he made that choice in a split second as the keeper (IMO) moved very late.

Would have also required him to take his eye off the ball as well at the crucial moment.

I'm not an outfield player so maybe good striker of the ball maybe don't need to put their eye on the ball in a penalty situation?

Or perhaps he saw the keeper guess one way and then went the other?
Just watched it on blades player as well. The keeper made it very easy for Davies as he started to dive to his right before he even hit the pen. So all Davies had to do was slot it through the middle of the gaping half of the goal. No need to risk missing the target by slotting it right into the corner, just firmly send it home.

In the keepers defence, it is tricky as Davies has two left feet, as seen here...or is it right?
Even I'm confused...and I drew them ..

2uhre4o.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, but a goalkeeper of reasonable intellect would know that Ben Davies was shaping up to shoot to the right, therefore only a great fool would choose to dive to his right, so he could clearly not dive to the right. But the keeper would also know that Ben Davies would not think the keeper a great fool, so he could clearly not dive to the left either!

Back
Top Bottom