Uwe Rosler

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He's been at a few games apparently according to Rob Staton on PorG tonight (whether he meant a few United games or a few games in the area I don't know).

Apparently Uwe Rosler was sat next to McCabe today.
McCabe really has not a clue if he thinks Uwe Rosler a man who achieved nothing in league 1 other than loosing to Yeovil in the playoff final is the man we need to get us out, not the man we need if Clough is going.

(note) not saying he is a crap manager

It wouldn't matter who we had in charge after Clough, no manager will either ever be good enough for our fans or will never be given the time to build/get it right.

The manager is always on a hiding to nothing at our club.

And this is the contradiction that defines a Blade.

On the one hand, without winning a trophy for 90 years we are described as the most patient of fans. And yet on the other side we are described as the most impatient as we are not willing to give a manager 90 minutes to put all things right.

And there is a clear line now dividing the Blades.

It wouldn't matter who we had in charge after Clough, no manager will either ever be good enough for our fans or will never be given the time to build/get it right.

Couldn't disagree more. Ever wondered why our managers never seem to last long? Because they're usually fucking crap. I've enjoyed watching United under Harris, Bassett and Warnock but there's no way their individual styles would last two minutes in the modern game.

Since then? A succession of journeymen and wasters. Were the fans and our infamous impatience the reason Robson was found wanting? Spackman? Adams? Weir? Danny Fucking Wilson? Blackwell? Tossers all, whose records simply don't stand up to scrutiny.

I wouldn't doubt that there's some truth in the Rosler rumour. After all, he's a 'manager', a catch-all phrase for a 'good, 'onest pro with his badges'. Whose record of consistent failure would see him sacked from any other profession apart from football and politics.

But never mind! Some plank last night on P&G suggested Dean Saunders - a guy whose cards have briefly fallen right (which always happens in the 'law of averages' world of football management) at the arse end of Division Two. Haven't we been here before?

Blimey, if we had a foreign manager then we might sign foreign players :rolleyes:

Mark Warburton? Although looks like he is being lined up for QPR.

Of course Warburton has another job to go to and, geographically-speaking, QPR would sound ideal. How do I know this? Because Warburton is a good manager (although with a dodgy taste in right-hand men!) who is confident in his own ability. So confident that he can walk away from a very promising project and know he won't be out of work.

The other 99% of managers? Hang on for grim life, inexplicably get a reward for their failure and then hang around The Football League Show or local radio hoping some other mug will come in for them. But the game is up. There's such a large pool of crap, failed managers out there, they can't all get a manager's job. Running a pub is out so they're left with becoming embittered, reliving past 'glories' and ringing Radio Sheffield. Like 'Brian The Blade'.

They come, they fail, they get paid off,get another job elsewhere, fail, get paid off.......most of all, they know all this when they start out.

Meanwhile, 20000 tortured souls check in for another year in the Third.

Paul Lambert is the best available right now.

When and if Clough does leave much depends on who is available at that particular time. The club may wish to pre-empt that and make the change when the right man is available and willing. That's how Clough came to us and Weir finally lost his job at that time.

If the Board decide to give Clough a further season, following the "continuity" rationale, it could cost them millions in further wasted money. That in fact would be the bravest decision if we don't go up this time.

By now the Board will know full well whether the suspicions of us fans are correct i.e. that Clough is not fully supported by the full dressing room. A bloke on Praise and Grumble had a view last night that the dressing room is split into two camps. Without stating which two, it is obvious.

Agree , but any manager at any of the 92 league clubs is on a hiding to nothing . I don't think its asking too much ,for a manager to turn a team out that shows some passion . Cloughs players look like they meet outside the cricketers after a friday night out , and they play football like they have a banging headache and still feel half pissed.

Yes a manager does need time to build , but i have no idea if we are going forward or back . The benchmark for us has been so low in the last couple of seasons , its not asking much , to want and see progression upwards .

The thing is - is Clough the right man to be given time .

UTB

When and if Clough does leave much depends on who is available at that particular time. The club may wish to pre-empt that and make the change when the right man is available and willing. That's how Clough came to us and Weir finally lost his job at that time.

If the Board decide to give Clough a further season, following the "continuity" rationale, it could cost them millions in further wasted money. That in fact would be the bravest decision if we don't go up this time.

By now the Board will know full well whether the suspicions of us fans are correct i.e. that Clough is not fully supported by the full dressing room. A bloke on Praise and Grumble had a view last night that the dressing room is split into two camps. Without stating which two, it is obvious.

Ex Derby players vs everyone else?

None of us know if the dressing room is split or not . Its just another speculation that does the rounds when things are not going well.

What is evident is that confidence is shot , within the players themselves and with Clough .

Any business would be getting rid of the MD or CEO to instil confidence back into the company . As always we are in a dammed if we do , dammed if we don't scenario. We have no choice but to see where we are at the end of the season with what we've got.

Forget what his said on Praise and Grumble - Rubbish and not to be used as a barometer.

It will be the board and financial implications that make any decisions .

UTB

Bearing in mind that Clough was the 'right' man last time, what makes you think sacking him and getting the next journeyman drone in would be less risky? You want another season of rebuilding from scratch?

It sounds like rumour although not an implausible one, but if he really has lost the dressing room then I guess there's only one option anyway.

Bearing in mind that Clough was the 'right' man last time, what makes you think sacking him and getting the next journeyman drone in would be less risky? You want another season of rebuilding from scratch?

It sounds like rumour although not an implausible one, but if he really has lost the dressing room then I guess there's only one option anyway.

D1360. Woodward mentions Paul Lambert ( who is shot and walking with no confidence ) . He will become another Paul Jewell.

Like you say , do we want to start rebuilding from scratch again with a has been , or journeyman.

If all is lost with Clough , and leaves the way for another option , i cannot think of one manager out there who could do it for us .

Forget out of work managers , they are out of work for a reason .

UTB

D1360. Woodward mentions Paul Lambert ( who is shot and walking with no confidence ) . He will become another Paul Jewell.

Like you say , do we want to start rebuilding from scratch again with a has been , or journeyman.

If all is lost with Clough , and leaves the way for another option , i cannot think of one manager out there who could do it for us .

Forget out of work managers , they are out of work for a reason .

UTB
Dave Bassett's confidence was damaged after Watford, many in the game were saying he was a one club wonder, that seemed to work out ok for us.

Lambert or Adkins would both be seriously good appointments at this level, but only if they are given a decent budget to work with, as I mentioned above we have probably blown the budget.

Dave Bassett's confidence was damaged after Watford, many in the game were saying he was a one club wonder, that seemed to work out ok for us.

Lambert or Adkins would both be seriously good appointments at this level, but only if they are given a decent budget to work with, as I mentioned above we have probably blown the budget.

Yep , you are right about Harry . Young guy at the time with a infectious personality , character , self belief which came across to the players ( many journey men or misfits ).

The game has changed though , albeit you still have 11 players and kick a ball. Perhaps we all look too deep , and Clough is the man , but needs time . I do think he needs help and some new blood in the coaching staff , as everything seems a bit stale and staid

The guy is 50 next year , so its not like he needs a older head to guide him , like a director of football. The coaching / scouting is not working for me , so its Garner , Crosby , Morgan who has to share the brunt . However there are Clough men , so i suppose the buck stops with him all things football. He is too loyal and stubborn to change anything .

A change is good as a rest , but timing is everything , and we usually get it wrong.

UTB

I tried to just set out the considerations and alternative approaches rather than say sack the manager necessarily. Thankfully that is not my decision.

As you ask the question though, maybe better to start again from scratch than to continue in the same direction throwing more money after bad on mediocre signings and playing fearful football. In a year's time clough will have signed another 10 or more players, maybe all interchangeable look-alikes and no game changers if he continues doing more of the same. There are no indications he has altered his approach even after spending over £2m.

It's the fans fault then I suppose.
I'm glad you've pointed out the perfect formula for success. If you'd told us earlier that all we had to do to guarantee Champions League football was wait patiently and clap like a demented seal I'm sure we'd have all done it.
Incidentally, what was the reason for our 1980's failure when we went down to Division Four with patient, happy clapping fans ?

And in the modern game, Bassett would have been sacked at the end of his first season having relegated us.

And in the modern game, Bassett would have been sacked at the end of his first season having relegated us.

Different time , differant era . You are perhaps correct , but confidence , self beleif , and a infectous character can still work today .

Unfortunately Clough and the players are acting like they have had a charisma bypass , and its started to affect us fans.

UTB

We will be in this division again next season. The question is, will Clough do any better next season than this? If yes, what makes you think that?

We will be in this division again next season. The question is, will Clough do any better next season than this? If yes, what makes you think that?

My own view is what we are getting now , is what we will get in the future . I cannot see the board sacking him , as this stability for the future , previous mistakes , as become a bit of a obsession , with board and some fans .

If we do not go up this season , a amicable parting of the ways will be best for all parties , but will it happen , no idea.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom