United u23s v Hull u23s report....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
United u23s v Hull u23s

As if you don’t hear enough from me here is a bonus u23 report.....

Will update full report later....

Ventured down to the Lane to take in the reserves tonight. United had a strongish side out although there was no Lavery (surely needs games?) and I think Jake Wright junior was injured. He was certainly enjoying his foot long subway pre match in the garage.

Never heard of any of the Hull side so guessing they were mostly youngsters.
United played a 4-4-2 with Chapman supporting the lad Hallam who had been scoring prolifically at junior level and bagged a few at this level too. Brown started at right back with the more inexperienced Cummings partnering skipper Semple in the middle. Reed and Whiteman played central with Scougall on the right and Brooks on the left.

Early stages were scrappy with a few miscontrolled touches from Hussey and an overplayed ball from Reed when Chapman made a good run. Hull had one opening when Brown was off his man but Ramsdale saved the shot straight at him.

Hull had a nice passage of play keeping the ball well for a period before Scougall and Brooks fed Hallam but his shot on the angle lacked power and was held comfortably.

The winger got away from Brown again for Hull and his inviting cross just evaded the striker in the middle. Both Blades full backs were sitting off their man thus far.
Brooks showed nice skill to drift away from two men and was fouled. From the kick both Scougall and Chapman had goal bound shots blocked. The latter had a man over but opted to go for goal.

Chapman then had a great run dribbling past three men to win a corner which Cummings nodded goal wards at the back post but it was headed off the line.
Semple sold Reed short and Cummings had to clear before at the other end Chapman drove at goal but his rising shot hit the side netting.

More good work from Chapman saw him make space and play a lovely slide ball to send Hallam away. The flag went up in a close call as the striker rounded the keeper to score. Soon after the Hull keeper made a mess of a Brown cross leading to a corner as United were now the better side.

Then neat build up saw Brooks play in Hussey who sidestepped his man and played a lovely pull back. Chapman hit it and it was heading for the top corner but Mannion made a superb save to flick over.

United had controlled the game but could not find the goal their play deserved with Chapman the stand out player on both sides.

Half time 0-0

Off for a bovril...more later

Team

Ramsdale
------------
Brown
Hussey
Cummings
Semple
-------------
Reed
Whiteman
Brooks
Scougall
-------------
Chapman
Hallam

Is rodcurrie telling them how it needs to be done? He`ll be sat behind the directors box telling Wilder what's what.

Is he the one that is short and fat, used to have ginger hair?

Wears a flat cap,has a walking stick,glasses.
He`s a fantastic bloke,I just take the piss out of him. Love him to bits.
"All abart opinions" is his catchphrase,except his are always right. Regular ar all games at all levels at Shirecliffe and The Lane. You`re bound to have crossed paths.

"All abart opinions" is his catchphrase,except his are always right. Regular ar all games at all levels at Shirecliffe and The Lane. You`re bound to have crossed paths.
That will be Brian Jessop, a nice man. The short and fat old man (dont know his name) I was thinking of used to sit behind the directors box who would always throw his arms up, yell and moan during reserves matches. I would hate to know what he is like at first team matches

That will be Brian Jessop, a nice man. The short and fat old man (dont know his name) I was thinking of used to sit behind the directors box who would always throw his arms up, yell and moan during reserves matches. I would hate to know what he is like at first team matches

Thanks for that. Even though we've bumped into each other loads at Shirecliffe and The Lane for U18/U23 games for some reason I've nebver felt the need to know his real name. Rod fits him well. We've had loads of good conversations about the Blades and what we should and shouldn't be doing. He often sits with Redalwaysablade and Block D,both good friends and BM posters along with one or two older gents who I love listening to as they have great knowledge and stories pre my time which is from 1970 on.

You can see the grumpy ginger bloke on bottom right at 11 mins 36 seconds in the below video

Thanks for that. Even though we've bumped into each other loads at Shirecliffe and The Lane for U18/U23 games for some reason I've nebver felt the need to know his real name. Rod fits him well. We've had loads of good conversations about the Blades and what we should and shouldn't be doing. He often sits with Redalwaysablade and Block D,both good friends and BM posters along with one or two older gents who I love listening to as they have great knowledge and stories pre my time which is from 1970 on.
Brian is always noting down descriptions of goals and near misses at youth and reserves matches. He told me he has kept all the notes from 1987/88 at home

The second half began with me struggling to feel my toes but my lad was seemingly fine as he tried to see how quick he could run up the South Stand steps. 24.2 seconds for the record.

A Brooks cross was cut out in a more even start to the second half.

Hussey came off maybe with a knock to be replaced by Kelly soon into the second half.

Brooks had a shot saved by the legs of the keeper soon after but the game was more open than it had been with Hull having more of the ball.

Brown then nearly sliced one into his own net turning it over as Hull put a dangerous cross in.

Scougall then weaved into space and fed Brooks whose shot was dragged wide.
Hallam came off replaced by Kimarni Smith as United struggled to keep momentum going. A wayward pass saw the ball back towards Ramsdale and although the United keeper just got there; the kick hit ANNAN and bounced into the net. The scorer knew nothing about it.

Chapman then had a powerful shot that was well held before Hull then went so close to making it two when a header was brilliantly tipped into the post by Ramsdale who got up well to field the rebound.

Hull had been much better second half and United had struggled to create much.
A few changes occurred but game became scrappy. Hull had a chance after a Cummings mistake.

United huffed and puffed but even with a number of first teamers on display created little.

Hull nearly seed the game but Ramsdale made a point blank save when Hull were one on one. A late chance saw Smith go down but his appeals for a penalty were waved away. In the last second a lovely Brown cross was headed home by sub Burton but the linesman flagged denying the youngster. The full time whistle went immediately after.

Full time : United 0 Hull 1

Team

Ramsdale 6/10 – Made saved but made a big error. One early save and a punch away first half. Second half missed a cross completely. Then came out for a through back and just got there but his kick went off the Hull man into the net. It was a bad mistake. Made a super finger tip save onto the post. Then made a great save at point blank range. Made saves but error decided game.

------------
Brown 6/10 – Thought he was poor. Indecisive and his clearances were often sliced the ball. Let his man have too much space too. Looked very clumsy and languid. Nearly scored an own goal. He did put a few good crosses in though. We get injuries I would be concerned if he stays. No better than some of the lads at this level. Not sure we will extend him past January.

Hussey 7/10 – Sloppy defensively with a few errant touches and also guilty of ball watching but really decent going the other way with a few clever passes and runs. Cannot see him being more than a squad player moving forward. Even with defensive deficiencies the new wing back formation ironically would probably suit him better.

Cummings 5/10 – Mixed but had a really bad second half. Began well but had a really poor spell second half with a number of mistakes. One in lead up to goal and another that nearly cost us. Seen him at right back and centre back now. Still raw but quite quick and a good size. Needs to bulk up a bit and would benefit from a non league loan spell.

Semple 7/10 – He was solid. Big unit who will struggle with pace but heads and kicks everything. Attacks the ball well and decent reader of game but on the ball lacks quality. Think at a higher level his lack of mobility could be an issue but a big lad for 17 is he?

-------------
Reed 5/10 – He seems to regress every season and every game I see. He either overplays passes or leaves them short. I barely noticed him for long spells of the game. Does not even find space and get on the ball like he used to. Will do well to get a league club when he will surely be released at the end of the season.

Whiteman 6/10 – Quietish. Won a few tackles and played it simple but does not go forward much either with the pass or drive with the ball. Another who lacks pace. A steady player but nothing he does is outstanding really. Long way behind the current midfield options. Another who would benefit from a loan spell. Reminds me of the lad Dimaio who used to be steady at this level but lacked pace/athleticism to push on.

Brooks 7/10 – Seen him have better games this season. Indeed been best player easily at this level the games I have seen. Still when he got on it he normally drew men or tried to go forward. Not much end product tonight though.

Scougall 6/10 – Not sure he is a winger and did not see much of the ball to begin with but then showed a few tidy bits of play. His first touch is still poor for all his workrate. Ball often gets away from him too easy. You expect a player like him to stand out at this level but he did not sadly.

-------------
Chapman 8/10 – Excellent. Was up front but came off a lot and picked up the ball in great areas before going on several excellent runs. Lovely feet and close control and deceptively quick. Faded second half but still our best player. Looks a really good lad to have around the squad.

Hallam 6/10- Quietish to begin with and struggled to get in the game. However had a few bits of good link play and unlucky to be just offside when played through. Came off in the second half.

Subs:

Kelly – Steady enough but they did get a fee crosses in down that side.

Smith – Went on up front but ended wide left. Did not really get into the game as Hull were better second half.

Burton – Came on for Reed and played quite advanced but only given 5 minutes and thus tough for him but nearly got a goal.

Reed 5/10 – He seems to regress every season and every game I see. He either overplays passes or leaves them short. I barely noticed him for long spells of the game. Does not even find space and get on the ball like he used to. Will do well to get a league club when he will surely be released at the end of the season.

Can someone draw this to Woodwardfans attention.

You can see the grumpy ginger bloke on bottom right at 11 mins 36 seconds in the below video

Found him but don't recognise him. Must admit I had to watch the concluding Port Vale sequence.Never tire of watching that series. Especially the last episode.
Zone man !!!!!!!!

Know who you mean! That is him on the above video you describe Silent.

We used to call him mumble man. He was a regular at Shirecliffe and reserve games. He used to shout at whoever the manager was from his sear right in front of the directors box. Used to tell the manager who should be playing etc. He also used to berate 16/17 year olds at both levels telling them they would never make it.

Had a liking for crisps often going through a whole multi bag in one Pontins league game. He would wash them down with several cans of Iron Bru.

Post games could be seen shuffling down Shoreham Steet a la Jabba the Hut mumbling to himself about old crap players. I was once behind him and heard a whole mumbled conversation that seemed to be discussing the respective shitness of Jon Cullen and Adam Burley. He was hard to understand hence being dubbed mumble man.

Saw him at Shirecliffe a few years ago but wonder if something has happened to him as not seen him for a while? Any reserve/youth anoraks shed any light. Mind you the aforementioned crisp/pop diet cant have helped his longevity.

We used to call him mumble man. He was a regular at Shirecliffe and reserve games. He used to shout at whoever the manager was from his sear right in front of the directors box. Used to tell the manager who should be playing etc. He also used to berate 16/17 year olds at both levels telling them they would never make it.

Had a liking for crisps often going through a whole multi bag in one Pontins league game. He would wash them down with several cans of Iron Bru.

Post games could be seen shuffling down Shoreham Steet a la Jabba the Hut mumbling about old crap players. I was once behind him and heard a whole mumbled conversation that seemed to be discussing the respective shitness of Jon Cullen and Adam Burley. He was hard to understand hence being dubbed mumble man.

Saw him at Shirecliffe a few years ago but wonder if something has happened to him as not seen him for a while? Any reserve/youth anoraks shed any light. Mind you the aforementioned crisp/pop diet cant have helped his longevity.

That's not rodcurrie DB.He's alive and posting on BM as you will know.

I'm struggling to see Ramsdale made a big mistake. Got to the ball first cleared the ball which hit the hull forward!!! And bounced into the net.This after the cross ball from hull wasn't cleared by our defence.

Jo cummings played hulls number9 8/10. Edwards was stronger and bigger but Jo held strong. Come a long way since last season

Can someone draw this to Woodwardfans attention.

Some of us have tried repeatedly. I'm afraid he's got a rare disorder of the mind known as Bladey Boyband Denial Syndrome.

We all have our mental health problems of course. I suffer from Tom Jones Syndrome. My doctor tells me It's Not Unusual.

Maybe I just don't recognise him Silent. 16 years is a long time. Has he still got red hair? In fact has he still got any hair?
Last time I saw him walking in Pond Street bus station (he was muttering to himself) some months ago. Has less hair and the ginger in his hair is not as bright as it was

Rod was sat in his usual seat behind the directors tonight cos I was sat with him wilder an knill were sat just in front of us but rod ignored the pair of em when they asked him for advice

DB m8 love your reports but we'll have to disagree on chapman a couple of decent turns,odd flashes of skill but ultimately no end product and got more wasteful as the game went on,as for the goal, keeper could have dropped on it and took a knock,didn't fancy that so cost us a goal,overall we knocked it about well but their keeper was pretty much a spectator had only one save of note to make 2nd half

That's not rodcurrie DB.He's alive and posting on BM as you will know.

No I know that. The guy I am describing is the one from the video above that Silent describes. He is not a redhead now; he has grey sprouts of hair but not much left but as I say not seem him for a while. He always seemed on his own but sometimes lathced onto a few other reserve/academy watchers till they had enough of his negatvitiy!

Rod was sat in his usual seat behind the directors tonight cos I was sat with him wilder an knill were sat just in front of us but rod ignored the pair of em when they asked him for advice

DB m8 love your reports but we'll have to disagree on chapman a couple of decent turns,odd flashes of skill but ultimately no end product and got more wasteful as the game went on,as for the goal, keeper could have dropped on it and took a knock,didn't fancy that so cost us a goal,overall we knocked it about well but their keeper was pretty much a spectator had only one save of note to make 2nd half

Chapman ran at players and created 2 or 3 good chances. His end product was lacking but noone else even looked like getting anywhere near an end product for me. Chapman was only one in the side bar Brooks in flashes who penetrated or looked like creating/scoring. He was far better than Scougall, Reed and Whiteman all who were pedestrian.

I'm struggling to see Ramsdale made a big mistake. Got to the ball first cleared the ball which hit the hull forward!!! And bounced into the net.This after the cross ball from hull wasn't cleared by our defence.

Sadly its a mistake even with the elemtn of bad luck. He kicked it against the Hull player and it rebounded into the net. Sounds harsh but his job is to miss the oncoming striker. I felt he was slow out to it originally. It was a bit fortunate to land in the net but it was Ramsdale who booted it against it. Agreed the build up saw sloppy play but he kicks it anywhere but where he did and they dont score.

Post games could be seen shuffling down Shoreham Steet a la Jabba the Hut mumbling to himself about old crap players. I was once behind him and heard a whole mumbled conversation that seemed to be discussing the respective shitness of Jon Cullen and Adam Burley. He was hard to understand hence being dubbed mumble man.

I don't think I've ever met 'mumble man', but your post made me laugh :D.

Jo cummings played hulls number9 8/10. Edwards was stronger and bigger but Jo held strong. Come a long way since last season

I must have seen a different game. Cummings was decent first half but was really poor second half. The Hull lad got behind him a few times and he made quite a few mistakes including one in the build up to the first and another where Ramsdale had to bale us out. Thought Semple was better along side him. There might be a player in Cummings but he is raw and needs to cut the errors out.

Plenty of time for Cummings he's one of if not the youngest in that side,like I said DB I'll agree to differ I thought scougall produced more towards the team but as someone I once sat with said it's all abart opinions

I don't think I've ever met 'mumble man', but your post made me laugh :D.

He was/is a legend. Never met him or even spoke to him. Before I had a family I used to regularly go to Abbeydale/Shirecliffe or the Reserves even when they were at Chesterfield or Sheffield FC. He was always there. He was a regular. He would have a carrier bag with a copy of the Star and a multi pack (usually cheese and onion) of crisps. He would usually mainline three bags before kick off.

He used to talk to Warnock about his triallists and when he found out who he was would turn around and tell the stand. ' Neil says we've got him from Portsmouth. He's a triallist. A triallist I say'

Then he would smash another couple of bags of crisps and carry on slagging off Ben Doane.

He was hilarious.

Plenty of time for Cummings he's one of if not the youngest in that side,like I said DB I'll agree to differ I thought scougall produced more towards the team but as someone I once sat with said it's all abart opinions

Definitely. Good to see different thoughts. Scougall's touch is often poor; it always shoots off from him so he has to make a tackle. I am surprised as when he first come his control and first touch was good but seems very sloppy in this regard. The thoughts someone offered at Chapman I would say for Scougall x 5. He scored the other week but very rarely does he ever make a final ball or killer pass. He gives us good energy and a useful sub when we are needed legs but not sure long term he will be around. I think Wilder wanted to see what he and McNulty offered but probably realises not much. Coutts and Freeman have been nice surprises with improvements but do feel we may need to upgrade from the latter eventually due to his defensive lapses (shown in games at Bradford and Wimbledon where he has been partly at fault for quite a few goals).

Back
Top Bottom