United 1 Walsall 1 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
It was another frustrating afternoon in the league for the Blades as they failed to win at home again. This time Walsall were the latest side to leave the Lane without being beaten as they came back from a Chris O’Grady goal to level thanks to Tom Bradshaw. After the endeavours of the week; many United fans would have been fearful over the side being flat or fatigued and so it proved as a mostly lacklustre show failed to yield the win again. In truth United still had enough of the game and chances to win the game but a sloppy piece of defending saw another cross and headed goal conceded.

Manager Clough freshened things up by bringing back in Jose Baxter, Stefan Scougall, Che Adams for his first full start and also the returning O’Grady after he was cup tied in the week. There was no place in the starting eleven for Paddy McCarthy as the same defence that had been so good in the week started again. Louis Reed and Jamal Campbell Ryce were not in the match day squad presumably out injured.

United were playing with a more attacking line up with Baxter in an advance role alongside O’Grady and Scougall in the centre of midfield with Michael Doyle. The game began with few chances of note and the game mired in midfield. O’Grady was showing strong hold up play early on and Flynn was looking to get forward. From one such move he put in a great ball but Baxter headed over when he ought to have done much better.

Walsall had offered little going the other way although the talented Sawyers was causing some problems getting into good areas but Basham made two excellent tackles.

United had another chance when this time O’Grady had a headed effort that once again was a good chance but like Baxter he headed over. Referee Horwood had to go off injured and was replaced by Wootton.
Just before the break United hit the top of the bar but it would have been a fortuitous goal as Baxter’s shot took a wicked deflection spinning up and caroming the woodwork on the way over.

As the second half started it seemed like Flynn had picked up a knock and was replaced by McGahey who surprisingly went to right back with Basham remaining in the middle of the defence.

United were playing at a bit better tempo with more aggression all over the field and won a flurry of corners and free kicks. Just before the hour they made the break through.

Baxter played a delightful through ball that split the defence and the offside trap and O’GRADY was through. He was able to take his time and pick put it in at the near post at the Kop end. United had not been great but had the better chances and were now in front.

However as they had done at Fleetwood sloppy defending where they failed to do the basics saw a leveller out of nothing soon after. McGahey gave his winger way too much time and the cross came in unopposed. The ball was headed accurately into the corner past the stationary Howard by BRADSHAW.

After this Walsall had a good spell and Harris had to kick over his own bar under pressure before Baxter had a shot over and then Harris was even closer as his searing shot grazed the top of the net.

Bradshaw flashed a shot just across the goal and at this point it was a game that could go either way after United had been the better side if not comprehensively better, much of the game till the leveller.

Baxter came off to be replaced by McNulty as United tried to find the winning goal. Adams then went down in the box looking for a penalty but nothing was given and the fall was quite theatrical maybe. Cuvelier replaced Adams as the game entered the closing stages and the Belgian headed just over as he got onto a deep O’Grady cross.

There was four minutes of stoppage time but United could not register another effort on goal as the game faded out to another disappointing outcome for the home fans.

United
– It wasn’t great. We were not at the same tempo, did not have the same zest and hunger as the other night and yet we still did enough to win the game. We had two good headed chances in the first half which was flat but one should have been converted. We were sluggish but still better than Walsall. After the break the same theme continued.

At least we got a goal (well made and taken) and then you hoped we would kick on but gave away a stupid goal (poor play by McGahey and the centre backs) and after this Walsall got some confidence and improved and they had as many chances as us after this but there were probably only a couple of efforts either way. We did not test the keeper all game apart from the goal really with shots and headers flashing over. They were the same. It was a poor game really but one we should have done enough to win regardless but it was worrying we conceded a copy cat goal to many we have been conceding this season.

The tempo was flat, we did not snap around the opposition like Tuesday and did not move the ball at the same pace. We also struggled to create many chances and looked a bit clueless in the final third despite O’Grady impressing. The other 3 forwards failed to impress sadly. We should have given McNulty longer and I felt the defensive change also cost us (did not have too many options as if he had put Basham to right back we would have probably moaned but at least he has played there – not sure McGahey has? They exposed this weakness, scoring and could have had another from this side. Overall, United have to be beating in truth ordinary sides like they faced in Walsall but the fact they failed to do so is concerning.

The top two failed to win but we let another opportunity go of course to gain ground on them. We cannot keep tossing away home games if we want to be in with a chance of the top two; which now is looking increasingly unlikely unless we go on a run like last season. The main concern is there are 5 or 6 teams just below us and a tough run of games in January could see us back in mid table if we don’t start getting some wins soon. That is the negative way of looking at it. The positive side is with O’Grady playing well and if we can get Wallace back and sign a few more; then we could kick on and if we won say 3 or 4 on the bounce we then could make a late charge.

Walsall
– I thought for most of the game they were poor really. They looked slow and gave the ball away a lot. They failed to look any kind of attacking threat until they scored and I thought were there for the taking. After they scored they woke up and had a few other half chances and would argue they looked as likely to win as we did. They have been gradually moving up the table but I was not impressed with them today but they got a point and will be happy with that. I like the lad Sawyers and think he is one that could be a possible signing and they are always fairly solid defensively. The lad Downing is better than Butler for me (when they formed a good pairing last season). Bradshaw caused us some problems with his work rate and movement and scored a decent goal in the end. A side that will probably be on the cusp of the playoffs but not sure they have enough to get in there. The Manager Smith does a great job there though as he loses talented players year in, year out and keeps them in the upper reaches of this level with little resources.

Howard 7/10 – Little to do really. Caught a few crosses and I do not think he had much chance with the goal.

Flynn 7/10
– Steady showing. He got up and down and put in a few decent crosses. Defensively got caught out once. Hope he is not out for any length of time as he is playing well in that position.

Harris 7.5/10
– He played well again today. He was getting forward well and had some excellent crosses and one good shot that was just over. Playing as well as he did last season now and a real plus point.

McEveley 7.5/10
– Another good performance where he defended solidly and won tackles, headers and read game well. One negative that I will say for him and Basham is they lost the man for the goal (not sure who should have been marking him).

Basham 7.5/10
– Thought he was very good again today. He was strong, determined and came out of defence well when he could bringing it forward. Definitely his best positon. As with McEveley though they have to question themselves on the goal as it was a free header. Highlights inconclusive who was meant to be marking him.

Doyle 7/10
– Steady game but not quite as effective as the other night in that Walsall had spells particularly after the goal where they were the better side in this area and we lost midfield for some parts of the game. He did his job, winning the ball and moving it on effectively. Had been a consistent 7/10 much of this season for me.

Scougall 5.5/10
– Thought he was one of our more ineffective players. He ran around a lot and was busy but again as with much of this season did not influence the game much. Can’t recall many good balls or moments of quality from him. His - challenges (know he is slight). Not sure what he is offering at the moment and think others deserve to start ahead of him but with Reed and Wallace injured suppose Clough has little choice.

Baxter 6/10
– A real mixed bag. Thought he offered more than Scougall and Adams but then his passing in the first half was poor. He gave it away a lot and often held his hand up to signal poor play. Missed a good chance and overall was not really offering much. Second half he improved for a spell and played some clever balls including the one that made the goal. Even though he was not great I would have left him on and took one of the aforementioned off as he at least can create something as he proved but today playing as a striker or just off, he did not do it. Another that when everyone is fit would not start for me at the moment.

O’Grady 8/10
– Excellent. Our man of the match. He held it up, was strong, ran the channels, won headers and looked to get shots away. Mobile, deceptively quick and a clever player. Looked the player we thought we had signed today after a few so-so games. Would like to see him alongside McNulty and have someone to link with. Felt also he got no service today other than the goal and had to work for things himself.

Murphy 5/10
– Poor match for me. He never beat his man all game and wanted to come inside. Noticed if he plays a quick full back then he seems to struggle to know what to do and loses his confidence if he cannot beat him. Drifted out of the game for long periods and was not able to influence many attacks.

Adams 6/10
– Did a few neat things but he does not have the pace I thought he might have and often pushed it past his man and then could not get it. He was decent on the ball when he had it but not sure he is a left sided player (right footed). He played up front for a spell but failed to get any chances. An ok game but nothing spectacular and it may take him a while to get used to the pace of the higher level (forget how many leagues he has come up).

Subs –

McGahey 4/10
– Thought he really struggled when he came on at full back. He was culpable for the goal being miles off his man and then also did it again on at least two other occasions. His touch and passing was also poor. Looks a very clumsy player for me and I have not seen anything to suggest he will go on and develop a la Maguire. Of course today it did not help him being out of position.

McNulty
– Not given enough time to make a difference. Should have been on a lot longer before he came on. When he did he did not really get into the game.

Cuvelier
– Brought on at the end and nearly got a goal when he met a deep cross but headed over.

Manager rating :

Clough 5/10
– It was poor in terms of the result and the performance. We did not get anywhere near the tempo or play of the other night. You kind of expected that to some degree but we really have to do better. His changes were enforced in some ways but the formation again was more positive in terms of 2 up top but once again it did not really work as we had little from wide players and little service for the top two. The defence was ok apart from one moment really although McGahey playing right back on reflection was a mistake and he should have maybe put Basham there (easy to say in hindsight). He has to do more in terms of winning games at home and we have to take games to teams more. It is too slow and too pedestrian.

Officials
– Thought both red were poor really. The second one was slightly better. The first guy had no idea over how the advantage worked. Still overall there was little to referee with barely a poor challenge all game.

Crowd
– Flat for the most part but impressive to get over 20,000 on the Saturday before Xmas especially with Walsall only brining maybe 4-500 fans at best. The crowd tried to get the side going but it was very much after the Lord Mayor’s Show.

Finally…..

Mascot – Zachary 7/10
– His play in the warm up was mixed. His first touch was not the best as he kept knocking it out of the central area of the field (told not to leave here apparently). He engaged in some good banter with McEveley and Howard pre match however and his note with Xmas card to Nigel Clough (sign John Brayford – I will lend you £30 of my birthday money) was a nice touch! His big moment was managing to out muscle the other mascots (all bigger and older) and be the one to lead the sides out as in his words ‘I got to come out with the skipper!.’ Joking apart made me, his Dad proud and loved his day.

Cant fault any of that ,good report ,mark a couple down maybe but that's just opinion.
One thing about the crowd ,only 1000 odd more for the Southampton game ,really ?
And well done Zachary.

7/10 for Doyle is generous. Same mark as Zachary?! :)

Oh, and the crowd was remarkable considering Chrimbo, opposition, number of home games, performances, a million years in Div2 etc etc….

Can't really disagree with any of that DB. I thought we played ok in the 1st half bar scoring and Walsall never really posed a threat. I thought we started the 2nd half ok and when we scored, I thought we would kick on and score 2 or 3 more but Walsall scoring made us stop. It is just so frustrating to watch us throw away points against rubbish teams week in week out, especially when we know how we can play (cup performances).

O'Grady definitely MOTM and he looked our only real threat. The fact we only scored 1 goal is embarrassing considering how poor they were defensively. Our defending for their goal is quite frankly not good enough.

Finally…..

Mascot – Zachary 7/10
– His play in the warm up was mixed. His first touch was not the best as he kept knocking it out of the central area of the field (told not to leave here apparently). He engaged in some good banter with McEveley and Howard pre match however and his note with Xmas card to Nigel Clough (sign John Brayford – I will lend you £30 of my birthday money) was a nice touch! His big moment was managing to out muscle the other mascots (all bigger and older) and be the one to lead the sides out as in his words ‘I got to come out with the skipper!.’ Joking apart made me, his Dad proud and loved his day.

FFS - tell him next time to kick their centre forward in the bollocks - we would have won ;)

UTB

Cheers Deadbat - and well done Zak. Having been 'dad of the mascot' (twice at Fratton Park, once when the lino was clouted) I can vouch it is a proud day!

Merry Christmas, Bladesmen.

pommpey

Did Scougall, Murphy, Adams and Doyle have a shot on goal between them?

Did their keeper make a save all afternoon?

Yet again 94 minutes or so pass meekly by with the opposition keeper having a really easy afternoon. Only Forster of Southampton has had a tough time at the Lane in the last 7 home matches. Even the Plymouth keeper faced 2 penalties which distorted his afternoon's experience.

Agree Woody,we certainly don't work the keeper enough ...another observation is that we almost always cross the ball from deep..why can't we attack the byline..nearly everything is in front of teams.Che..(who did ok for me)and Murph who I agree was poor..didn't use the space in behind the Full Back..our own Full Backs who both had good games,never got on the overlap.
Another goal conceded from a free header..there was 4 United players around Bradshaw and he gets a free header...shouldn't be happening.
I'd like to defend Baxter a bit,as he's the one we play through...nearly everything comes through Baxter who keeps us moving with a one touch pass or a through ball like for the goal...he's not hit top form but he is creating chances like for the COG goal..like Harris's goal the other day,and Murphy in the same game where it was saved by the keeper and post.
I think an out of form Murphy and Scougs were the main let downs and no threat/penetration in behind from wide areas...Happy with the back line,Basham looking really good at Centre Back..thought Che looks promising..good to see COG get off the mark and glad to see Cuvelier back in the mix after injury.

The photo below shows Flynn running on to a through ball as Chambers clips his foot. Isn't it a red?

There was a similar situation in Norway when the referee blew for a foul, but explained he didn't think it was a goal scoring opportunity as the guy who ran clear was known for being very slow and the defender would probably have won the race for the ball if he hadn't clipped him. But surely the referee has to judge what happens the second the offence take place, and in the photo Flynn is clearly in front and has only the goalkeeper to beat.

RedcardoffenceWalsall.jpg

Agree Woody,we certainly don't work the keeper enough ...another observation is that we almost always cross the ball from deep..why can't we attack the byline..nearly everything is in front of teams.Che..(who did ok for me)and Murph who I agree was poor..didn't use the space in behind the Full Back..our own Full Backs who both had good games,never got on the overlap.
Another goal conceded from a free header..there was 4 United players around Bradshaw and he gets a free header...shouldn't be happening.
I'd like to defend Baxter a bit,as he's the one we play through...nearly everything comes through Baxter who keeps us moving with a one touch pass or a through ball like for the goal...he's not hit top form but he is creating chances like for the COG goal..like Harris's goal the other day,and Murphy in the same game where it was saved by the keeper and post.
I think an out of form Murphy and Scougs were the main let downs and no threat/penetration in behind from wide areas...Happy with the back line,Basham looking really good at Centre Back..thought Che looks promising..good to see COG get off the mark and glad to see Cuvelier back in the mix after injury.
You talk a lot of sense Bergen but Ive really got to pull you up this ,you say Baxter keeps us moving and hes the one we play through ,surely that proves the point. We are moving far too slow ,we have pacey players but Baxter just slows us down ,this is the reason we falter before the final ball. And one goal a game ,one set up a game is not enough for a so called playmaker ,add to that the woeful set pieces from our so called technician and we have the problem that festers in our side. Take him out and we are much more fluent ,our momentum is kept going and we are far more exciting to watch. I cant emphasise enough how much a problem this is to our team ,its nothing personal but a one off bad game has turned into a month and now 1 good game in 3 months. How long do we give him to become this great player ,surely the fitness excuse is gone now.

You talk a lot of sense Bergen but Ive really got to pull you up this ,you say Baxter keeps us moving and hes the one we play through ,surely that proves the point. We are moving far too slow ,we have pacey players but Baxter just slows us down ,this is the reason we falter before the final ball. And one goal a game ,one set up a game is not enough for a so called playmaker ,add to that the woeful set pieces from our so called technician and we have the problem that festers in our side. Take him out and we are much more fluent ,our momentum is kept going and we are far more exciting to watch. I cant emphasise enough how much a problem this is to our team ,its nothing personal but a one off bad game has turned into a month and now 1 good game in 3 months. How long do we give him to become this great player ,surely the fitness excuse is gone now.

At the very least a player should be fit for purpose, and I mean fit, no blowing out of their arse after 60 minutes. Surely this should be a given, they have training facilities the rest of us can only dream about. IMO we should never sign an unfit player(yes you Mr Higdon) who has made little or no progress in getting up to speed.
New signings, such as the two lads from Ilkeston of course need time to improve fitness and stamina. We seem to have far too many predictable, slow players and the rest of the league have cottoned on to this.

Amazing though that we demolished Southampton, so why do we revert to a team who will be lucky to finish in the top six. What do we do differently in the cup games? genuine question.

Because there's no chance of getting promoted if you win a cup.
I think Nigel needs to tell the players if they get promoted they will get a chance in the championship to prove themselves.

Great report. Just cut & paste for rest of season. Save yourself the bother.

Reactions: Dkc
Because there's no chance of getting promoted if you win a cup.
I think Nigel needs to tell the players if they get promoted they will get a chance in the championship to prove themselves.

Are you implying that the players don't want to get promoted because they'll be shown the door if they do?

It's an interesting theory, surely it would look good on the CV come the summer if that is the case.

I didn't write Dnblade's post though! ;)

Howard 7/10 – Little to do really. Caught a few crosses and I do not think he had much chance with the goal.

Flynn 7/10
– Steady showing. He got up and down and put in a few decent crosses. Defensively got caught out once. Hope he is not out for any length of time as he is playing well in that position.

Harris 7.5/10
– He played well again today. He was getting forward well and had some excellent crosses and one good shot that was just over. Playing as well as he did last season now and a real plus point.

McEveley 7.5/10
– Another good performance where he defended solidly and won tackles, headers and read game well. One negative that I will say for him and Basham is they lost the man for the goal (not sure who should have been marking him).

Basham 7.5/10
– Thought he was very good again today. He was strong, determined and came out of defence well when he could bringing it forward. Definitely his best positon. As with McEveley though they have to question themselves on the goal as it was a free header. Highlights inconclusive who was meant to be marking him.

Doyle 7/10
– Steady game but not quite as effective as the other night in that Walsall had spells particularly after the goal where they were the better side in this area and we lost midfield for some parts of the game. He did his job, winning the ball and moving it on effectively. Had been a consistent 7/10 much of this season for me.

Scougall 5.5/10
– Thought he was one of our more ineffective players. He ran around a lot and was busy but again as with much of this season did not influence the game much. Can’t recall many good balls or moments of quality from him. His - challenges (know he is slight). Not sure what he is offering at the moment and think others deserve to start ahead of him but with Reed and Wallace injured suppose Clough has little choice.

Baxter 6/10
– A real mixed bag. Thought he offered more than Scougall and Adams but then his passing in the first half was poor. He gave it away a lot and often held his hand up to signal poor play. Missed a good chance and overall was not really offering much. Second half he improved for a spell and played some clever balls including the one that made the goal. Even though he was not great I would have left him on and took one of the aforementioned off as he at least can create something as he proved but today playing as a striker or just off, he did not do it. Another that when everyone is fit would not start for me at the moment.

O’Grady 8/10
– Excellent. Our man of the match. He held it up, was strong, ran the channels, won headers and looked to get shots away. Mobile, deceptively quick and a clever player. Looked the player we thought we had signed today after a few so-so games. Would like to see him alongside McNulty and have someone to link with. Felt also he got no service today other than the goal and had to work for things himself.

Murphy 5/10
– Poor match for me. He never beat his man all game and wanted to come inside. Noticed if he plays a quick full back then he seems to struggle to know what to do and loses his confidence if he cannot beat him. Drifted out of the game for long periods and was not able to influence many attacks.

Adams 6/10
– Did a few neat things but he does not have the pace I thought he might have and often pushed it past his man and then could not get it. He was decent on the ball when he had it but not sure he is a left sided player (right footed). He played up front for a spell but failed to get any chances. An ok game but nothing spectacular and it may take him a while to get used to the pace of the higher level (forget how many leagues he has come up).

Subs –

McGahey 4/10
– Thought he really struggled when he came on at full back. He was culpable for the goal being miles off his man and then also did it again on at least two other occasions. His touch and passing was also poor. Looks a very clumsy player for me and I have not seen anything to suggest he will go on and develop a la Maguire. Of course today it did not help him being out of position.

McNulty
– Not given enough time to make a difference. Should have been on a lot longer before he came on. When he did he did not really get into the game.

Cuvelier
– Brought on at the end and nearly got a goal when he met a deep cross but headed over.

Manager rating :

Clough 5/10
– It was poor in terms of the result and the performance. We did not get anywhere near the tempo or play of the other night. You kind of expected that to some degree but we really have to do better. His changes were enforced in some ways but the formation again was more positive in terms of 2 up top but once again it did not really work as we had little from wide players and little service for the top two. The defence was ok apart from one moment really although McGahey playing right back on reflection was a mistake and he should have maybe put Basham there (easy to say in hindsight). He has to do more in terms of winning games at home and we have to take games to teams more. It is too slow and too pedestrian.

Officials
– Thought both red were poor really. The second one was slightly better. The first guy had no idea over how the advantage worked. Still overall there was little to referee with barely a poor challenge all game.

Crowd
– Flat for the most part but impressive to get over 20,000 on the Saturday before Xmas especially with Walsall only brining maybe 4-500 fans at best. The crowd tried to get the side going but it was very much after the Lord Mayor’s Show.

Finally…..

Mascot – Zachary 7/10

Agreed, but your lad contributed more to the game than several of the players !!

What do Scougal & Baxter have to do ( or not to do ) to get dropped !! Scougal was completely ineffective and I lost count of the number of times he was eased off the ball into a heap on the floor, with the Walsall player taking the ball off him. Baxter wasn't much better and his pass to o'Grady was his one positive contribution to the game. The missed free header 6 yds out ........ OMG !! Your lad could have scored that.

We are a very average side and will finish 6th - 8th unless we have significant surgery to this squad on 1st January. I'm not holding my breath ....... :(
UTB & FTP

I take your point Sits..I realise Baxter has his drawbacks when we haven't got the ball..he's not the most mobile.When we have the ball though Baxter is usually involved..he's usually looking to play the ball forward,make something happen..it's not always on and sometimes passes it off square or whatever..but a lot of the time he passes first time,one touch which speeds the whole thing up.You can't always find the killer pass,you need the right movement from other players...he links the play well at times.He's not having the best of times in front of goal though,his Free Kicks,shots aren't finding the back of the net...2 good Pens the other week though...I just don't see much in terms of creativity other than Baxter...Scougs is out of form,doesn't have the range of passing that Baxter has..Murphy opens things up when he carries the ball and goes past people..trouble is he often loses possesion in good attacking positions and we're back to square one...MacDonald had similar problems being the playmaker in terms of creating..in the DW's 2nd season anyway..it's difficult to find a pass to open things up when everything's in front and nobody to run beyond the defenders.
Maybe Baxter is a luxury at times,but what little we are creating In terms of chances are more often than not involving him..especially Saturday...
Saturday...missed the target with the header,set Cog up for header,hit the bar,first time lay off for Harris to shoot...lays on the through ball for Cog's goal...maybe he should be doing more,but others need to do more aswell.

This was my first home game of the season, we were really optimistic coming up on the train. You can always trust the Blades to dampen that optimism though. I should have known better.

Great crowd but poor support, the kop only really came to life in injury time. Many boos at the end.

This was my first home game of the season, we were really optimistic coming up on the train. You can always trust the Blades to dampen that optimism though. I should have known better.

Great crowd but poor support, the kop only really came to life in injury time. Many boos at the end.

I think that the crowd were totally underwhelmed by the poor display, particularly in the first half. They didn't deserve being paid, let alone being clapped !!
UTB & FTP

Back
Top Bottom