United 1 Oldham 1 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
It was a disappointing afternoon at the Lane as United failed to do enough to see off Oldham in a game that for long spells United were chasing. The home side fell behind to former Blade Jonathan Forte’s strike and toiled for nearly an hour after before finally getting level thanks for substitute Jamal Campbell Ryce’s strike. In truth United had been second best much of the first half and although improve after the break it was still less than convincing and they failed to really have control of the contest at any real point.

Clough once again made changes as this time the pack was shuffled with Reed, Campbell Ryce dropping to the bench and in came Baxter and McCarthy with the former going up top and Basham operating in a midfield role. Oldham included former Blades Forte and Danny Philliskirk with another ex loanee Dominic Poleon on the bench.

The game began with United straight on the attack. Flynn went past his man and knocked a ball back which Baxter clipped on goal but Rachukba was able to palm behind the goal. Alcock then had a half chance on the corner but this was as good as it got for United for the opening stages. Oldham slowly got into the game and started to win the 50/50 challenges and with the strong Ibhere causing problems, United were now forced back. The striker had one shot blocked and another header that was nearly forced home.

United had an effort via Murphy whose shot stung the hands of the keeper but they were struggling to make much headway as a confident Oldham were knocking it about with confidence. Doyle chopped down Forte but the subsequent free kick was cleared but soon after the visitors were able to create a chance and score.

The ball was knocked forward and McEveley was caught exposed as he tried to catch FORTE offside. However the Oldham man had timed his run well but the United defender still had time to try and affect the clearance but Forte took a touch and then moved forward before rolling it easily under Howard. He did not celebrate in front of the Kop after he had grown up supporting the Blades. It was a really poor defending from a lacklustre United side.

Soon after Johnson curled wide as the crowd began to sound their frustration as United could make little headway as Murphy was doubled up on and the midfield had no control of the ball. Baxter was trying to win free kicks but to no avail and as the Latics fans noise increased it showed how assured their side had been.

Harris has a low shot saved and Scougall then shot wide. However Oldham came again and had a succession of corners after some more controlled play. United’s fans reaction at half time told the story as the home players trooped off.

The second half saw Baxter hit a poor free kick over the bar after a clumsy foul and then a succession of bookings for both sides broke up any fluency in the game.

Johnson shot over and then Ibhere was just wide as Oldham looked to finish off the Blades who had improved but still created little goal threat.

Baxter had not been in the game and came off for Campbell Ryce with Murphy going up to in a more central role.
It was not long after the change when an immediate impact was felt. CAMPBELL RYCE took the direct route and simply powered into the box and then hit a fierce angled shot that Rachukba maybe ought to have done better with but it could have took a slight deflection as it then bounced off his hand and into the corner of the net. United were level and the crowd had
renewed hope.

United at least showed some urgency and Basham had one shot saved before Campbell Ryce again caused problems with another deflected effort tipped over this time. At the other end Mills was just wide from a corner and it looked like it could go either way at this stage with United’s improved second half pointing that they maybe had more inclination they may get the winner.

Ibhere had been a handful all game but had already picked up a booking and stupidly got involved with Flynn after the ball and was rightly given a second yellow. There was not much of an appeal.

McEveley’s day of uncertainty continued right to the end as his underhit pass saw Oldham intercept and the United man pulled back Poleon as he advanced on goal. On another afternoon he could have been shown a straight red as although on the angle there seemed no one between him and the goal. The yellow was perhaps a little fortunate and the Oldham fans seemed very aggrieved behind the goal.

The game entered five minutes of stoppage time but other than Campbell Ryce as an outlet and looking for a flick on from Basham; it seemed United had few ideas how to get the winner. A few balls went across the box but the afternoon was summed up when with only seconds left United opted to take a short free kick allowing the ref to blow for full time rather than get the ball in the box.

United – Thought we were really sub par today. We started the game well in the first 2 or 3 minutes and had one decent chance via Baxter. I joked that might be as good as it gets and it almost proved right. After this we regressed badly and Oldham won midfield, snuffed out any threat we had and looked more like creating and scoring the other way. They fought hard, pressed us and we looked slow and lacking energy all game. We awoke from our slumber for some spells in the second half but it was pockets and no controlled play or pressure. Campbell Ryce gave us some life but overall we had so many players whose touch, passing and overall play was simply not good enough. We lost a lot of individual battles and never came onto the ball from defence outwards and this meant the ball often was never in our control for longer than a few minutes. It was really frustrating as short passes mixed with aimless balls meant we never really could have any passage of play. It was scrappy as
Oldham fight hard and disrupted us all afternoon.

For professional footballers (players who are much higher up the pyramid like McCarthy) to be so bad at simple control and passing was inexcusable. We can bleat about formation and tactics all we want and I will in a bit but failure to do the basics, harrying, tackling, winning header, controlling and passing the football means it matters little who plays where and what formation you have. We were lacking in those simple things today and met a side that had as much or more desire aswell.

As for the tactics; it is bad enough having just one up top but when the one is Baxter it really is simply not good enough as the ball just comes back time after time. We had no focal point, no target and no one to hit all game. That is not about long ball but about playing it somewhere or to someone where the ball can be retained and we can then get men round him/them and force the play. It is so hard when you are relying on League One players (who are there for a reason) to try and pass and thread balls through sides combined with the fact we have no one who penetrates or has real pace (Murphy maybe but was double marked) and it was left to Campbell Ryce to save us.

I did feel the run we went on was as much about playing poor sides as an increase in form and against two mid table sides Barnsley and Oldham we have struggled massively to break them down in any kind of way. With two further home games against better sides (at least positionally) we have to change our approach in tactics and personnel as otherwise we are hoping to nick a game here and there and there is no sense we can go and score more than the odd goal. With Bristol, Preston, MK and
Swindon all being quite consistent; it is worrying we still look so hit and miss. Today was a perfect chance for us to put on a commanding and positive performance and result and in the end we were fortunate in some ways to get a point as a hungrier and more organised Oldham showed us to be a distinctly average and mostly clueless side.

Oldham – Thought they were decent to be honest. They were very good in the first half, winning the ball in most areas of the field and pressing us high. They had two up front and were dangerous with Ibhere’s height and Forte’s pace. They scored a decent goal and looked a threat. I felt for a side that had 2 up top and should have had a disadvantage in midfield they won this area and worked hard all game until the second half when they began to tire. Not for the first time this season a manager had done his homework on Clough and snuffed out our main threats making sure Doyle did not win the ball and was pressed and then when Murphy had it was double teamed and had no chance to get on the outside.

Their side if full of average journeymen (we had a few of them at some point) but were testament to a side that if they work hard, press and do the basics they can cause sides problems. They were nothing remarkable but they defended well when they had to, broke when they had and possess a solid spine. They will finish mid way at least on work ethic and organisation alone.

Today they easily deserved a draw and maybe a bit disappointed not to have got all three as for the most part we looked pretty clueless on how to break them down.

Credit to Lee Johnson. A budget probably less than half of our own but has them right with us in the table and a side that is scoring goals and looking a threat and taking games to teams like us on the road.

As for players they all worked hard as a unit. Forte took his goal well and had a few other bursts without really being massively threatening. Ibhere the lad that went off caused us most of the problems holding it up and ensuring they could come onto the ball. We never got to grips with him all game. The lad Johnston was a handful (impressed me when he played for Villa against us in the Youth Cup) and surprised he did not stay with Chesterfield. The defence did well until we finally stretched them with Campbell Ryce and the keeper was well protected not having many saves to make all game.

Howard 7/10 - Had little chance on the goal. Other than that he actually did not have that much to do on shots even though they maybe looked the more dangerous side attacking wise but most of their shots went just wide or over.

Alcock 3.5/10– Thought he was awful. First half a nightmare but got a bit better after the break (could not be much worse). Hesitant on the ball and slow to react most of the game. Made so many mistakes it was untrue. I also thought positionally he was never in line with the rest of the defence. He started the season well but I feel sadly he has looked like a player that was released by a fellow club at our level only a few months ago.

Harris 6.5/10 – Mixed bag. He played countless balls to no one in particular going forward and was sloppy with the ball. Too often he was caught napping when should have been more alert. Had one good shot in the first half. He got a bit better in the second half and had a few crosses coming forward. However he like many others won’t be happy with his display.

McEveley 4/10– Thought he was really poor and nearly as bad as Alcock. I felt he was poor in the week and just carried on. His defending all game was slow with him being off his man or slow to react to any kind of danger. Ibhere and Forte were quicker and stronger all game. He lost Forte on the goal and nearly gave them 2 or 3 other chances (including the big gaffe at the end). He has been decent since we signed but was shocking today. Ibhere completely bullied him and the United defence
much of the contest.

McCarthy 5/10 – He was marginally better than McEveley but still not completely convincing and he too was slow to come onto the ball, did not win enough headers and his touch/passing when he had the ball was awful much of the game. The spell at the end where he gave the ball away 3 times in about 30 seconds summed up United for me today. His distribution all game was shocking but at least he won a few headers and got in front of his man a few times; which was more than the rest.

Basham 7/10 - I do prefer him at centre back but he gave maybe his bets performance in a United shirt in the middle today. He wanted the ball and never hid. Showed some decent touches and passes. He also was a threat when going forward and at least got in the box. Had a few shots on goal and generally looked one of few how could inject some tempo into out attacks. Still believe he is a better centre back long term but he was one of few who came out with any credit today. The only negative is he is awful at timing his leaps for crosses; often jumping way too soon and then sometimes way too late and for a big guy is a but powder puff in the air.

Doyle 6/10– Thought we never really had any control of the midfield all game which is worrying when we had 3 v 2 in that area. He never broke up play enough and was not the same factor he has been in recent games. When he had the ball going the other way he took an eternity to make a simple ball to the left or right and this often meant it slowed out attacks right down.

Scougall 5/10- Completely non-existent again for me sadly. Keep hearing others saying how hard he is working or what is he is supposedly doing well but sorry I have not seen much of anything this season. He gives it off (a pass) and then hides behind men and he is at the moment not offering anything in terms of scoring or creating. I am unsure what he offers to the side at the moment. He may run about a lot but if he barley touches the ball or when he has it, he kicks it away like a hot potato then unsure what his role is?

Murphy 5/10 – Thought he was totally ineffective today. He had a few glimpses first half and some decent runs at the defence but so often was doubled up and this meant it was hard. After the break he was barely involved and even when moved from up front to wide left and right but never really offered anything in terms of a threat attacking wide. Would take him off but then he always may get you a goal or provide some brilliance (like last week) so can see why he stayed on.

Flynn 6/10 – Marginally better than Murphy but not by much. Oldham crowded our forwards/wingers out all game and this meant it was hard for them to have much of an influence. However apart from one or two runs (one right at the start); he never really got behind the defence or put any crosses in all game.

Baxter 5/10– Again another poor performance. Spent most of the game on the deck looking for non-existent free kicks. He is not a striker but he really still needs to exert more effort than today. A few balls he held up but mostly he was never in the game or tried to look for imaginary fouls. Took 2 bad free kicks. Came off but to be fair to him it could have been any one of half a dozen. Watching him toil up top on his own is painful when defences just win header/clearance after clearance with ease and sees us have little of the ball up top as we lack pace, height and strength in this area. If he played off another striker than maybe we might see him being
more effective.

Subs-

Campbell Ryce 7.5/10 –
Was poor in the week and rightly demoted to the bench but he was maybe one of most influential players when he did come on. Maybe you could make argument he was out best player (even in limited time). He put in a few crosses to keeper or behind the goal but mostly was positive, attacking and caused problems. He scored a good goal and nearly got another with a deflected effort. Sadly his games from the start have not seen him as effective as he is off the bench so I think he might be best in that role.

Manager rating : Clough 6/10 – He changed the team (again – repeat to fade) and this is making it hard for any kind of continuity. His lack of a striker of any sort again made it incredibly hard for us and when we went behind made it even more difficult. He did not change his formation and although he eventually made one sub, he still persisted with one up top and often we had to rely on Basham’s flicks on or physical influence to get a knock down and then create something in the second stage. It was all a bit clueless whilst the other way the visitors had two up top with pace and power and had a threat. We still cannot offer either of these ingredients and his/the clubs inability to sign a striker means we will not be a serious automatic promotion contender any time soon in my opinion. He could have further changed the formation/tactics or freshened things up further in the final stages but sat on his hands again as the game petered out to a really poor result for United. He keeps saying how hard it is to get a striker in but he really needs to act now otherwise teams at the top will pull away. Regardless of the negative approach and lack of forwards I will say he cannot be held responsible for such abject touch, passing and control all game from so many players. It was awful most of the game and he must have been pulling his hair out at the failure of professional players to do the basics.

Officials – Odd game for all of them. The assistant referee’s failed to spot any foul throws all game long until Alcock had to make them give one and were a bit inconsistent on offsides. The referee seemed a bit card happy at times but then to be fair many had to be yellows for both sides and the second one for their man and the red that followed seemed obvious. I felt McEveley may have gone with some refs as was a professional foul and a clear pull back and I did not see any men between him and Howard even if it was on the angle. The ref was a bit frustrating at times and gave some fouls one way that could have gone the other way (for both sides). At times he did try and let things flow to be fair in what could have been a niggly game. Some frustrating decisions and maybe a few each way that could have gone the other but nothing remarkable that affected the game’s verdict.

Crowd – Another remarkable crowd. Fair play to Oldham who brought over a 1,000 fans and were very loud and got behind their team. Really good support. However, for United to get nearly 20,000 fans for a run of the mill League One game, to get such a crowd is staggering also. The fans deserve more than the average dross that they had to watch today. As for the Evans chants/furore; I was in the South Stand and heard absolutely nothing all game (one brief chant from Oldham fans but no riposte from the other end) so all the so called fuss that the decisions this week was supposedly going to cause never happened. With another week before the next came I do believe it will be forgotten about fairly quickly and United must move on. Sadly their inability to sign a striker of any quality will have more of an effect on the United fans than the Evans decision short and long term; as the indecisiveness on this matter will stop United having any chance of going up in my opinion.

Good report DB, can't argue with that. Another disappointing game; our home form will cost us promotion. I know a draw isn't the end of the world but the only reason why we're still in the play offs and in touch with Bristol City is because the division is terrible in general. In a good league, we'd possibly be out of it already.

Thanks as always for the report Deadbat. I look forward to them in the same way that I used to look forward to the Green Un arriving at the paper shop.

At least McNulty and Higdon should be back soon. Surprised Reed was dropped today

God report ,spot on apart from the sending off,he stupidly kicked out at Doyle after the ball had gone.

I tend not to read the report when I've been to the game as I know what I've seen and don't need to know the ins and outs.
As ever player ratings and today, I was interested to see DB's opinion on Oldham, of whom I was greatly impressed.
A point today was a good return from where I thought we were well outplayed for 70% of the game.
On this evidence Oldham will be up there if they have any kind of strength in depth (which is where we hold aces over a lot of our rivals).
So, not too perturbed at the home point loss and not overly concerned at one or two having less than their A1 performance, it happens several times in a season, no need to write people off as a result ( McCarthy, Alcock, McEveley spring to mind).
More pertinent is how we deal with the Notts Co threat next week (note their unexpected loss today!).
We have the tools to win the league, maybe one more addition and an injury free run and I'm reasonably confident we'll stay on track.

I tend not to read the report when I've been to the game as I know what I've seen and don't need to know the ins and outs.
As ever player ratings and today, I was interested to see DB's opinion on Oldham, of whom I was greatly impressed.
A point today was a good return from where I thought we were well outplayed for 70% of the game.
On this evidence Oldham will be up there if they have any kind of strength in depth (which is where we hold aces over a lot of our rivals).
So, not too perturbed at the home point loss and not overly concerned at one or two having less than their A1 performance, it happens several times in a season, no need to write people off as a result ( McCarthy, Alcock, McEveley spring to mind).
More pertinent is how we deal with the Notts Co threat next week (note their unexpected loss today!).
We have the tools to win the league, maybe one more addition and an injury free run and I'm reasonably confident we'll stay on track.

To be fair to County I think I heard that they were playing with 10 men for most of the game. Gonna be really tough on friday. Out of the three games of Donny, Oldham and County I would have taken 7 points. We really could do with winning that one to really cement ourselves in the top 6

? George Donis ??

Thought the performance and atmosphere in the stands was awful today.

Yeah Oldham fans were loud and really supportive. Utd fans were quiet all game but had little to get excited by.

We need to start taking games to teams. The negative tactics, line up and approach will slowly sap the life out of many fans. He has to change it. To be atching United in the third tier without playing a centre forward at home is baffling.

Clough needs to really think about his approach. If it was working and we were winning every home game fine but we have failed to win last two and have struggled to beat anyone with any real confidene relaying in late comebacks etc. Only one win v Yeovil did we win comfortably. Eveyr other home game has been a really struggle.

I don't know about finishing halfway, on todays showing I would say Oldham are shoe ins for automatic, some very astute signings by an up and coming manager.

Three points from me:

The Oldham fans were certainly the most vocal at the Lane this season. I always think if I can hear them from the Kop they must be loud!

I cannot understand why we look so laboured at home at times. It is almost painful to watch home games sometimes.

The Predator lookalike in midfield for Oldham (Johnson) is well worth a look in January for me.

First time I've seen McCarthy after a long time away. Whilst telling the tale against myself, I think it sums up my rating of his performance - I thought it was McGahey and I thought he played OK for a young lad. When he misplaced two passes late in the second half and threw tantrums I thought it was just his immaturity. Anybody else think they are lookaikes? If not I'll be at Specsavers next week!

Good report Deadbat and all too familiar issues.

Thought Alcock was a shade better than you marked him.

Do not like Basham in midfield but if he has to play, then not in partnership with Doyle please. I'd play Doyle alongside a more creative partner. Limited options yesterday but Reid was the alternative and I have to admit it would have been very physical for the lad.

So few options there all of a sudden, and indeed no real striker options either. Is Porter injured? Too hard a game for the two young and diminutive strikers on the bench.

Campbell-Ryce comes on, scores from the right and plays the rest of the game on the left. I reckon the left is Flynn's best position too. What was in Clough's mind? Clough also said bitterly in his post match interview "Ryce never crossed the ball once after the goal".

That brings me to another point. I sit behind the Directors' Box and cant help but notice Garner's antics on the touchline. In the second half I saw him throw his arms in the air, head in his hands or generally strop in frustration at least 8 times. Clough also is a very aggressive critic of player mistakes. Now, there are various ways of leading a team but hard line public bollockings every hand and turn would not be my personal choice.

No variation of the 4-5-1 even after the substitutions. Of course the team generally pushed on more but what's wrong with changing the formation rather than like for like changes and formation?

Clough 4/10: Johnson 8/10.

Howard 7/10 - Had little chance on the goal. Other than that he actually did not have that much to do on shots even though they maybe looked the more dangerous side attacking wise but most of their shots went just wide or over.

Alcock 3.5/10– Thought he was awful. First half a nightmare but got a bit better after the break (could not be much worse). Hesitant on the ball and slow to react most of the game. Made so many mistakes it was untrue. I also thought positionally he was never in line with the rest of the defence. He started the season well but I feel sadly he has looked like a player that was released by a fellow club at our level only a few months ago.

Harris 6.5/10 – Mixed bag. He played countless balls to no one in particular going forward and was sloppy with the ball. Too often he was caught napping when should have been more alert. Had one good shot in the first half. He got a bit better in the second half and had a few crosses coming forward. However he like many others won’t be happy with his display.

McEveley 4/10– Thought he was really poor and nearly as bad as Alcock. I felt he was poor in the week and just carried on. His defending all game was slow with him being off his man or slow to react to any kind of danger. Ibhere and Forte were quicker and stronger all game. He lost Forte on the goal and nearly gave them 2 or 3 other chances (including the big gaffe at the end). He has been decent since we signed but was shocking today. Ibhere completely bullied him and the United defence
much of the contest.

McCarthy 5/10 – He was marginally better than McEveley but still not completely convincing and he too was slow to come onto the ball, did not win enough headers and his touch/passing when he had the ball was awful much of the game. The spell at the end where he gave the ball away 3 times in about 30 seconds summed up United for me today. His distribution all game was shocking but at least he won a few headers and got in front of his man a few times; which was more than the rest.

Basham 7/10 - I do prefer him at centre back but he gave maybe his bets performance in a United shirt in the middle today. He wanted the ball and never hid. Showed some decent touches and passes. He also was a threat when going forward and at least got in the box. Had a few shots on goal and generally looked one of few how could inject some tempo into out attacks. Still believe he is a better centre back long term but he was one of few who came out with any credit today. The only negative is he is awful at timing his leaps for crosses; often jumping way too soon and then sometimes way too late and for a big guy is a but powder puff in the air.

Doyle 6/10– Thought we never really had any control of the midfield all game which is worrying when we had 3 v 2 in that area. He never broke up play enough and was not the same factor he has been in recent games. When he had the ball going the other way he took an eternity to make a simple ball to the left or right and this often meant it slowed out attacks right down.

Scougall 5/10- Completely non-existent again for me sadly. Keep hearing others saying how hard he is working or what is he is supposedly doing well but sorry I have not seen much of anything this season. He gives it off (a pass) and then hides behind men and he is at the moment not offering anything in terms of scoring or creating. I am unsure what he offers to the side at the moment. He may run about a lot but if he barley touches the ball or when he has it, he kicks it away like a hot potato then unsure what his role is?

Murphy 5/10 – Thought he was totally ineffective today. He had a few glimpses first half and some decent runs at the defence but so often was doubled up and this meant it was hard. After the break he was barely involved and even when moved from up front to wide left and right but never really offered anything in terms of a threat attacking wide. Would take him off but then he always may get you a goal or provide some brilliance (like last week) so can see why he stayed on.

Flynn 6/10 – Marginally better than Murphy but not by much. Oldham crowded our forwards/wingers out all game and this meant it was hard for them to have much of an influence. However apart from one or two runs (one right at the start); he never really got behind the defence or put any crosses in all game.

Baxter 5/10– Again another poor performance. Spent most of the game on the deck looking for non-existent free kicks. He is not a striker but he really still needs to exert more effort than today. A few balls he held up but mostly he was never in the game or tried to look for imaginary fouls. Took 2 bad free kicks. Came off but to be fair to him it could have been any one of half a dozen. Watching him toil up top on his own is painful when defences just win header/clearance after clearance with ease and sees us have little of the ball up top as we lack pace, height and strength in this area. If he played off another striker than maybe we might see him being
more effective.

Subs-

Campbell Ryce 7.5/10 –
Was poor in the week and rightly demoted to the bench but he was maybe one of most influential players when he did come on. Maybe you could make argument he was out best player (even in limited time). He put in a few crosses to keeper or behind the goal but mostly was positive, attacking and caused problems. He scored a good goal and nearly got another with a deflected effort. Sadly his games from the start have not seen him as effective as he is off the bench so I think he might be best in that role.

Manager rating : Clough 6/10 – He changed the team (again – repeat to fade) and this is making it hard for any kind of continuity. His lack of a striker of any sort again made it incredibly hard for us and when we went behind made it even more difficult. He did not change his formation and although he eventually made one sub, he still persisted with one up top and often we had to rely on Basham’s flicks on or physical influence to get a knock down and then create something in the second stage. It was all a bit clueless whilst the other way the visitors had two up top with pace and power and had a threat. We still cannot offer either of these ingredients and his/the clubs inability to sign a striker means we will not be a serious automatic promotion contender any time soon in my opinion. He could have further changed the formation/tactics or freshened things up further in the final stages but sat on his hands again as the game petered out to a really poor result for United. He keeps saying how hard it is to get a striker in but he really needs to act now otherwise teams at the top will pull away. Regardless of the negative approach and lack of forwards I will say he cannot be held responsible for such abject touch, passing and control all game from so many players. It was awful most of the game and he must have been pulling his hair out at the failure of professional players to do the basics.

Officials – Odd game for all of them. The assistant referee’s failed to spot any foul throws all game long until Alcock had to make them give one and were a bit inconsistent on offsides. The referee seemed a bit card happy at times but then to be fair many had to be yellows for both sides and the second one for their man and the red that followed seemed obvious. I felt McEveley may have gone with some refs as was a professional foul and a clear pull back and I did not see any men between him and Howard even if it was on the angle. The ref was a bit frustrating at times and gave some fouls one way that could have gone the other way (for both sides). At times he did try and let things flow to be fair in what could have been a niggly game. Some frustrating decisions and maybe a few each way that could have gone the other but nothing remarkable that affected the game’s verdict.

Crowd – Another remarkable crowd. Fair play to Oldham who brought over a 1,000 fans and were very loud and got behind their team. Really good support. However, for United to get nearly 20,000 fans for a run of the mill League One game, to get such a crowd is staggering also. The fans deserve more than the average dross that they had to watch today. As for the Evans chants/furore; I was in the South Stand and heard absolutely nothing all game (one brief chant from Oldham fans but no riposte from the other end) so all the so called fuss that the decisions this week was supposedly going to cause never happened. With another week before the next came I do believe it will be forgotten about fairly quickly and United must move on. Sadly their inability to sign a striker of any quality will have more of an effect on the United fans than the Evans decision short and long term; as the indecisiveness on this matter will stop United having any chance of going up in my opinion.

Agreed !!
We were POOR ....
UTB & FTP

I love your enthusiasm; "We have the tools to win the league", is your opinion , however, I would say that a team who is going to win the league will not drop points at home to Oldham, Barnsley and Orient in the manner that we have done.

With the current squad, I would say we will finish around 5th to 8th. I REALLY hope that I'm wrong, but nothing that I have seen this season so far leads me to believe otherwise.
UTB & FTP

bad day at the office form far too many...

I love your enthusiasm; "We have the tools to win the league", is your opinion , however, I would say that a team who is going to win the league will not drop points at home to Oldham, Barnsley and Orient in the manner that we have done.

With the current squad, I would say we will finish around 5th to 8th. I REALLY hope that I'm wrong, but nothing that I have seen this season so far leads me to believe otherwise.
UTB & FTP

Oldham,Barnsley and Orient - three good sidesworthy of beating anybody anywhere on the day, indeed all 3 promotion candidates even now given a bit of luck and a good run. Look at your bets if you're a gambler, this is football and nothing is served on a plate.

Back
Top Bottom