United 1 Notts County 1 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
The Blades failed to secure three points once again as they had to come from behind to salvage a draw against Notts County at Bramall Lane on Friday night. After failing to see off Oldham six days previous, United struggled once again at home as they went behind to another sloppy goal before finally getting level but did not do enough to secure all three points.

It was another frustrating night for the Blades who simply were not good enough to break down what were in truth very average opponents. It will be worrying for manager Clough that sides are routinely coming to the Lane and coping rather too easily with a toothless United attack.

With new striker Chris O’Grady not deemed fit, United brought back Michael Higdon with Jose Baxter playing just behind and Stephan Scougall playing alongside Michael Doyle. Former County man Jamal Campbell Ryce got the nod over Ryan Flynn with
Chris Basham beginning the game at right back with McEveley playing alongside Paddy McCarthy. United’s two recent signings from Ilkeston, Adams and Wallace were on the bench. County had experienced keeper Roy Carroll in goal and skipper Gary Jones played after overturning a ban in the week.

The game began with little goal action early on as United struggled to keep the football. County tried to keep men behind the ball and frustrate the home side but had a half chance as Petrasso got in but his shot lacked power. Howard then had to take at the second attempt as Jones got in on goal. United had been lacking in any kind of threat with a weak Baxter effort and a deflected Murphy shot the sum of the chances.

A game of few real chances for either side suddenly saw a goal as County won and scored from a set play on the half hour.
The corner came in from Jones and Howard made the mistake of going for the cross but completely missed it and as it went to the back post, EDWARDS swept the ball into the empty net to give the visitors the lead.

United offered little in response as McEveley had a free kick blocked and Baxter put well wide. The half time whistle saw boos
from the home sides, frustrated with another dire first half performance.

The second half saw the Blades at least try and force chances but another weak Baxter effort saw Carroll save easily. Soon after the best chance came as Cambell Ryce’s cross found Basham who headed down but at Carroll as he clawed away.

Clough had seen enough and brought on McNulty and Flynn for Higdon and Doyle; with Flynn going to right back. County had a rare break in a mostly defensive show but Dumbaya’s cross was cleared.

Finally United found some quality with a decent ball in and clinical finish. Harris put in a great cross and MURPHY flicked his header into the top corner away from Carroll’s despairing dive. The United crowds sensed a real turnaround now and urged them on.

Reed came on for Baxter as United tried to keep the ball better in the hope for a winner.

Scougall hit a shot that hit Carroll as United tried to throw caution to the wind but too often the final ball failed to test County. Flynn’s cross saw McNulty flick wide before Murphy’s enterprising run saw a chance but it was blocked out. Despite five minutes extra time the visitors did enough to slow the game down and get the point they wanted.

United – Let’s be honest, it was very poor at worst; average at best. We have played two quite ordinary sides and teams we should be blowing away if we are serious about promotion but have collected a mere 2 points and struggled mightily to even get that as we have come from behind against both. We have gave away two stupidly soft goals before finally get level but in both games could we say we have done enough to win? Probably not. It has all been too much of a struggle. We have relied on a journeyman in Campbell Ryce as our main threat most of the these two games; even starting or sub. The play has been way too slow as we have passed it about from side to side or backwards with little penetration. Tonight we had a striker on but may not have bothered as Higdon was awful and Baxter who played just behind was not influential at all.

Last Saturday v Oldham I heard so many fans saw it was a case of so many were off their game and it was an off game that would not happen again. So what was the excuse tonight? It was exactly the same against inferior opposition. 6 or 7 poor performances again. Maybe they are showing they are just not good enough. I can critique Clough (rightly so as side never seem to start games well and are always chasing) but too many players not doing it for me. We are carrying half a side most weeks and whoever plays up top we still look like we have no idea how to get behind or break down quite average sides.

Hopefully O’Grady comes in and we can improve things but overall the last two home games have been desperately disappointing. It is not as if we have even played sides that are going to be anywhere near promotion contenders. We have played mid table sides and struggled to even create more than a few chances all game. We have laboured terribly with slow football lacking tempo, penetration or idea. We will face much better sides than those we have faced and we will have to improve massively. Clough can go on about officials, opponents, whatever, but ultimately have no injuries at all (Wallace but he is always injured) and he has picked two sides that have not been good enough to break down Oldham and Notts County in front of nearly 20,000 Blades fans. There are no excuses. We simply do not look good enough regardless of all the talk about formations/tactics/strikers etc.

Notts County – I don’t think they were as good as Oldham by any stretch but got the goal thanks to poor defending and due to a mixture of timewasting, compact defending and battling kept us out for a long spells. They battled hard and got men behind the ball. A little cynical and time wasted incredibly well but United did little to really get at them. They came for a point and got one. Maybe they were cynical and sometimes were over the top spoiling tactics. They had maybe one shot on goal all game and scored it but it was enough to get what they needed against a mostly clueless United side. They could argue other than a few efforts at goal we hardly tore them to pieces and for their organisation and defensive play they maybe deserved a point.

To be honest I do not think they were great and will not be a side anywhere near the top 6 in my opinion. Will do well to finish top half. Got a lot of experience but not much quality and will rely on spirit and organisation to keep themselves in the top half. Still Derry has done well to take them from a side that just stayed up and were still considered to be relegation favourites to a side nearer the top half of the season. Not sure he can keep it up but if they don’t go down then he has done his job in many ways.

Howard 5/10 – He had little to do most of the game in terms of actual shots/handling but made an awful howler on the goal. Came and missed the ball and it led to them playing it into an empty net. Really poor keeping and gifted them a goal.

Basham 6.5/10 – Did his best at right back which clearly he is not comfortable with. Seemed logical that he should be centre back and McEveley at right back but what do I know?! Kept going but he is not a natural athlete or mobile enough to play in such a position. He did his best but whilst did little wrong defensively he did not get forward much.

Harris 7/10 – Thought he was one of our better players tonight. He at least came onto the ball and did show a bit of life in a mostly abject life. Came forward when he could and played the ball that led to our goal.

McEveley 6/10 – He was ok but nothing special. His touch like many others was not always sure and at times it ended up in the ball coming off him and them winning possession. Improved second half but like much of the team an average performance under little real pressure.

McCarthy 5.5/10 – For a so called Premiership player (at least relatively in status) his touch is utterly dire. He had at least 4 or 5 balls he tried to control that came off his boot straight to them. His passing was poor and under very little pressure from the opposition he made things seem incredibly difficult.

Doyle 6/10 – An average night. Battled with Jones and came out fairly even. He broke up play a bit but equally gave the ball away too on a few occasions. He came off as we tried to attack more toward the end. To be fair there had been worse players than him.

Scougall 6/10 – I have to be honest and although seen people praising him tonight I am unsure what he actually contributed. Not doubting his actual effort. He did work hard and try and get in positions at times. He sprinted about and put a shift in but on the ball his passes often were short or behind teammates and failed to see him play a positive and forward ball all game. Often went backwards and sideways when he actually had the ball instead of driving on and at the defence. Not doubting his industry but we are now nearly in December and I have failed to see him have a really good performance or properly affect a game for a consistent 90
minutes. Just flits in and out of games for me.

Baxter 5/10 – Thought he was average at best tonight. Played in his so called natural position just off the striker but he was never that influential most of the game. He saw a lot of the ball but overall did not do enough both on the ball and off it. Came off and we actually improved when he departed.

Murphy 6/10 – Another who flitted in and out and overall saw long periods of the game go without him being involved. He had a few chances to go out at the full back but too often he failed to really drive on or came inside. To be fair scored a decent header and then nearly made another chance right at the end with a good run. Too often he deferred though and needs to be far more assertive. Sums up United overall.

Campbell Ryce 6.5/10 – He fell over, crossed over the bar, stumbled and generally looked clueless BUT he at least did try and attack and never stopped at least going at the defence. He never really put many good balls in but did drive in the box on occasions and at least turned the defender the other way. Worrying such an average, journeyman pro is currently our main threat for many games.

Higdon 3/10 – Awful. Barely won a header all game. Looking for free kicks, stumbling around, miscontrolling the ball, knocking it back to them and barely leaving his feet all game. Such a tall and physically imposing man but so weak in all aspects of the game. Looks an awful player at the moment sadly. Offers little to nothing. Maybe an impact sub for 5-10 mins is best he can offer. He will be back on the bench for O’Grady Tuesday surely? Really ineffective. For a player to get cheered off says it all whatever we may feel about fans reaction to players; it seemed unequivocal delight he was going off. Maybe harsh but even a modicum of effort from him would have saved him from such derision. Most of these fans spending decent money and to see him sauntering around was disappointing to say the least.

Subs –

McNulty
– I have to be honest I barely saw him touch the ball. Had a flicked header wide but other than that never got in front of his man or really exerted much influence on the game. Needs to be sharper when he does come on.
Flynn – Came on and played right back and did ok as at this stage we were going forward so it did not matter he was playing more withdrawn. Tried to help us go forward but we were not exactly streaking forward as County pulled most men behind the ball.

Reed = Played final few minutes. Some mixed passing in that spell. Given little time though.

Manager rating : Clough 5/10 – Two draws against two pretty average League One sides at the Lane is not good enough. Twice we have been chasing the game and twice we have struggled to even just get a point. We have looked mostly clueless and it had been hard work against two workmanlike but in reality quite poor sides. Oldham were slightly better than County but both will do well to finish in the top 6. Clough tried to play a bit more positive with an actual striker up top and Baxter in his so called best position but we struggled to create much and then tossed away a ridiculous goal. After that we were chasing the game and did well to even get a point. Second half he changed things but it was all a bit too much hard work. The side were so slow to go forward and the tempo was excruciatingly slow. Clough said so many were off the game last Saturday; so what was his excise tonight? Same again. Either these players are not good enough of the side it set up so negatively with fear of actually attacking. In truth it is probably a combination of the two. Whatever it is, this United side looks miles off a promotion side. We can’t beat average sides at the Lane nor do we even look like creating many chances. We are not even playing really good sides, we are playing mid table sides or they will be and Clough’s sides cannot or have no idea how to break them down. Sad date of affairs really.

Officials – An odd set of officials again. The referee seemed to want to be the star of the show at times continually stopping games or playing to County’s continual ‘game management’ (blatant timewasting). He let Carroll get away with an disproportionate amount of time wasting and it went on from start to finish. Stopped the game a lot to slow things down which suited County bit rarely booked any of their players. I felt he was too slow to clamp down on them slowing play down and the cynical stop start attitude. United were guilty of poor play but were not helped by his leniency all match.

Crowd – Another good crowd of close to 20,000. County brought around 1,000 and were loud and passionate towards their side; helped by them going ahead and having something to defend. United’s fans became more and more frustrated by watching the slow and lethargic play all game. They were rightly booed off at the break for such a timid and slow slowing. We got better second half but why we have to wait every game till the second half is beyond me. The goal came and then suddenly the crowd came to life but more poor play and lack of positivity even in the last 15+ minutes saw more frustration and groans. United are somehow still getting ridiculously large crowds to watch mostly really poor play and quite negative football.

Deadbat, can I save you time in future? Simply copy and paste this:

First Half: Despite yet another magnificent crowd, United drifted through the first half as if they didn't give a fuck. Cue opponents scoring a scrappy goal, crowd getting frustrated with simple, time-wasting tactics (which they wouldn't do if United consistently allowed the visitors to go in front). Crowd boo as clueless team drift off at half time.

Second Half: With the managers' harsh words ringing in their ears, United finally put in a half-decent ten minutes which fades out. The visitors, hardly believing their luck, naively go for the killer goal instead of shutting up shop. Uniteds' luck finally pays off with a deserved equaliser. Two more home points lost.

Bit unsure why you keep mentioning that they are mid table when they are one place behind us????

Harsh again on Scougall, Deadbat. He worked very hard - which, to be fair, you mention - and he was instrumental in our goal, which you don't. He always showed for the ball, never once hid away and when Clough at half time clearly mentioned upping the tempo he responded in spades. I thought he was our best player tonight by some way.

Don't get it with Scougall I will be honest. I have seen little from him this season. He toils but end product sadly lacking for me. Want to see him get on the ball and drive forward. He often just passes it off and then hides behind his man after giving it off. He is not ruthless enough and has been bang average at best for me. Still you could say that about many players.

He doesn't hide. I think that's plain wrong.

He passes it off and often then moved behind an opponent. I have watched him closely last few games. When does he actually make a forward pass or penetrate defenders. He runs around a lot and don't doubt his effort but sadly there is a lot of fluff and no real end product. Baxter gets a lot of hammer but he Scougall has offered much less in terms of assists/goals/affect on games this season for me. Sure he might run around a lot but when he has the ball this season (save for goal at Crewe) has it actually led to a chance or a goal? He often loses it when it matters in the last third or gets crowded out due to lacking aggression/strength. Don't want to knock the guy but genuinely fail to see what he does? Liked him last season but not seeing same fearless attacking attitude more a weak, powder puff, I don't want responsibility kind of approach. Not only one I must stress. This timid approach will see us finish 5th-8th. someone has to take responsibility and drive at defenders/commit but other than Murphy and C Ryce on odd occasions, it simply has not happened this season.

I don't think they were as good as Oldham whom I liked because they really came to have a go. However, it should be noted that Derry has done a superb job there and they are very difficult to beat (I think they are unbeaten away which is more than can be said for us) and are this seasons over achievers. However, they don't have many goals in them and rely on being organised, dogged and have a great keeper. We should be winning against them at home.

As with the Oldham game we were poor for an hour, significantly better thereafter. If their no 32 hadn't have taken five minutes to try and score on the gilt edged one on one then they would have been two up and they would have won as the atmosphere would have gone from bad to poisonous. Despite the stats being in our favour I think a draw was fair on them.

On Scougs, I think he seems to be getting some energy back but it was more noticeable in harrying rather than bursting forward. He had one chance that Carroll kicked away that I thought was more of a good stop in terms of positioning but I was on the south stand nearer the away end so stand to be corrected. He seemed too deep most of the time for me. Baxter is my worry. He's scored some pearlers but no one frustrates me more. He's a passenger for long periods, lacks a burst of energy but also lacks the X factor that Glynn Hodges had that meant I thought he was great more often than not as he ambled around watching other people doing his dirty work.

And Basham at RB after having his best game in midfield and a few games showing he's our best CB. I really don't get that.

Not gloom and gloom here as we are what we are but I wish we had a bit more.

Credit to Murphy too, not his best game but a really good header for the goal.

But he doesn't try to penetrate enough either. He's one of a group who are happy to move it sideways for 60 minutes of every game.

In the end I blame the manager. He either instructs them to do it, or allows it to perpetuate.

UTB
Good point. If players don't donwhat they are told they get dropped. Hence why Quinny got stick for hooking it aimlessly over his shoulder under KB when he was capable of so much more. But he was following orders to the letter.

I definitely think that there's a fear of playing at home for a number of our players. The Blades faithful once again turned out in tremendous numbers for a friday night game and it feels to me that a fear of doing the wrong thing in front of such a large and vociferous audience is affecting some of them.
Of course I'm not suggesting people stay away but it's more of a complement to our club that the passion and expectations are so big. Away sides are thriving on playing us at home and know the pressure will be huge on us especially if mistakes start creeping in.
Who knows and I'm probably spouting shite but it's just a thought and by no means an excuse for continued dropped points at home.
UTB
COYRWW

I liked mcnulty's play in the build up to murphy's goal. He did more in that one play than higdon did all game.

While ever we persist with Baxter in the side we will look a defensive team ,he just slows our momentum from the centre circle ,it really is a big problem for us. When he goes off the pace of our game increases notably and we have the opposition on the back foot. Sometimes we get away with it away from home when we work on counter attacking but it stifles us at home. I know he is popular on here and has ability but he has had one good game in 8 now and his role is a big problem for us.
Oh and I would give Jay one of mcarthys points.

I definitely think that there's a fear of playing at home for a number of our players. The Blades faithful once again turned out in tremendous numbers for a friday night game and it feels to me that a fear of doing the wrong thing in front of such a large and vociferous audience is affecting some of them.
Of course I'm not suggesting people stay away but it's more of a complement to our club that the passion and expectations are so big. Away sides are thriving on playing us at home and know the pressure will be huge on us especially if mistakes start creeping in.
Who knows and I'm probably spouting shite but it's just a thought and by no means an excuse for continued dropped points at home.
UTB
COYRWW

I get your point but it should be a privilege to play in such a stadium and in front of such crowds. The crowd remain remarkably patient and, if the players can't hack it, ship them out. I'm sure they'd prefer playing in front of 3-4k.

Conversely, I don't buy any of this 'it's the away side's Cup Final'. If we were half competent and appreciative of these occasions (which will be the zenith of most of our lot's careers) it would be truly intimidating coming to BDTBL. For that I roundly blame the backroom staff. The minimum requirement for them should be to impress on the players that it is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to perform, get them roaring down the tunnel and straight into the opposition. It must be simple to scout on United - it's the same every damn home game. Where they should be preparing to 'park the bus' and maybe get a lucky goal, they're now coming knowing that they'll probably get a point or win.

FWIW, Neil Lennon was there tonight. I'm sure the crowd impressed him, but the team? Oh dear.

Once again, we've played our part. Over to you Mr. Clough and players.

I think all you non blade wankers should 'get behind the team', 'give players like Higdon a chance', 'wait until the team gels', because 'you all want us to win every game', because 'we are where we are' and 'one day one of these teams is gonna get a reyt stuffing'.

Have I missed any, there? Think that's all of them.

Running out of excuses, and I am running out of fucking patience.

Good report Deadbat - though I could have written that mesen, twenty seconds after the final whistle. Not that you are bad at doing this - it's just that with wearying regularity, your honest reports dismantle any optimism I have about Sheffield United getting promoted.

Hands up if any of you said Higdon was a great signing? C'mon. Be honest. You though that because he'd smashed in 17 goals last season for Tulip Athletic he'd be on double figures by now, at least.

pommpey

I think all you non blade wankers should 'get behind the team', 'give players like Higdon a chance', 'wait until the team gels', because 'you all want us to win every game', because 'we are where we are' and 'one day one of these teams is gonna get a reyt stuffing'.

Have I missed any, there? Think that's all of them.

Running out of excuses, and I am running out of fucking patience.

Good report Deadbat - though I could have written that mesen, twenty seconds after the final whistle. Not that you are bad at doing this - it's just that with wearying regularity, your honest reports dismantle any optimism I have about Sheffield United getting promoted.

Hands up if any of you said Higdon was a great signing? C'mon. Be honest. You though that because he'd smashed in 17 goals last season for Tulip Athletic he'd be on double figures by now, at least.

pommpey

Sorry to say that I have gone from being CONFIDENT about the chances of promotion to thinking that it's the same 'owd same 'owd. Looking at some of the stats, United should have been out of sight. It seems that we have too many players who are at best mediocre, and too few who have the skill to take us up the league.
Amazingly Brizzle do not have similar problems. Gi' them a ring Nige and find out why. YOU MAY AS WELL PLAY THE NON LEAGUE GUYS THAT YOU HAVE BROUGHT IN.

Howard 5/10 – He had little to do most of the game in terms of actual shots/handling but made an awful howler on the goal. Came and missed the ball and it led to them playing it into an empty net. Really poor keeping and gifted them a goal.

Basham 6.5/10 – Did his best at right back which clearly he is not comfortable with. Seemed logical that he should be centre back and McEveley at right back but what do I know?! Kept going but he is not a natural athlete or mobile enough to play in such a position. He did his best but whilst did little wrong defensively he did not get forward much.

Harris 7/10 – Thought he was one of our better players tonight. He at least came onto the ball and did show a bit of life in a mostly abject life. Came forward when he could and played the ball that led to our goal.

McEveley 6/10 – He was ok but nothing special. His touch like many others was not always sure and at times it ended up in the ball coming off him and them winning possession. Improved second half but like much of the team an average performance under little real pressure.

McCarthy 5.5/10 – For a so called Premiership player (at least relatively in status) his touch is utterly dire. He had at least 4 or 5 balls he tried to control that came off his boot straight to them. His passing was poor and under very little pressure from the opposition he made things seem incredibly difficult.

Doyle 6/10 – An average night. Battled with Jones and came out fairly even. He broke up play a bit but equally gave the ball away too on a few occasions. He came off as we tried to attack more toward the end. To be fair there had been worse players than him.

Scougall 6/10 – I have to be honest and although seen people praising him tonight I am unsure what he actually contributed. Not doubting his actual effort. He did work hard and try and get in positions at times. He sprinted about and put a shift in but on the ball his passes often were short or behind teammates and failed to see him play a positive and forward ball all game. Often went backwards and sideways when he actually had the ball instead of driving on and at the defence. Not doubting his industry but we are now nearly in December and I have failed to see him have a really good performance or properly affect a game for a consistent 90
minutes. Just flits in and out of games for me.

Baxter 5/10 – Thought he was average at best tonight. Played in his so called natural position just off the striker but he was never that influential most of the game. He saw a lot of the ball but overall did not do enough both on the ball and off it. Came off and we actually improved when he departed.

Murphy 6/10 – Another who flitted in and out and overall saw long periods of the game go without him being involved. He had a few chances to go out at the full back but too often he failed to really drive on or came inside. To be fair scored a decent header and then nearly made another chance right at the end with a good run. Too often he deferred though and needs to be far more assertive. Sums up United overall.

Campbell Ryce 6.5/10 – He fell over, crossed over the bar, stumbled and generally looked clueless BUT he at least did try and attack and never stopped at least going at the defence. He never really put many good balls in but did drive in the box on occasions and at least turned the defender the other way. Worrying such an average, journeyman pro is currently our main threat for many games.

Higdon 3/10 – Awful. Barely won a header all game. Looking for free kicks, stumbling around, miscontrolling the ball, knocking it back to them and barely leaving his feet all game. Such a tall and physically imposing man but so weak in all aspects of the game. Looks an awful player at the moment sadly. Offers little to nothing. Maybe an impact sub for 5-10 mins is best he can offer. He will be back on the bench for O’Grady Tuesday surely? Really ineffective. For a player to get cheered off says it all whatever we may feel about fans reaction to players; it seemed unequivocal delight he was going off. Maybe harsh but even a modicum of effort from him would have saved him from such derision. Most of these fans spending decent money and to see him sauntering around was disappointing to say the least.

Subs –

McNulty
– I have to be honest I barely saw him touch the ball. Had a flicked header wide but other than that never got in front of his man or really exerted much influence on the game. Needs to be sharper when he does come on.
Flynn – Came on and played right back and did ok as at this stage we were going forward so it did not matter he was playing more withdrawn. Tried to help us go forward but we were not exactly streaking forward as County pulled most men behind the ball.

Reed = Played final few minutes. Some mixed passing in that spell. Given little time though.

Manager rating : Clough 5/10 – Two draws against two pretty average League One sides at the Lane is not good enough. Twice we have been chasing the game and twice we have struggled to even just get a point. We have looked mostly clueless and it had been hard work against two workmanlike but in reality quite poor sides. Oldham were slightly better than County but both will do well to finish in the top 6. Clough tried to play a bit more positive with an actual striker up top and Baxter in his so called best position but we struggled to create much and then tossed away a ridiculous goal. After that we were chasing the game and did well to even get a point. Second half he changed things but it was all a bit too much hard work. The side were so slow to go forward and the tempo was excruciatingly slow. Clough said so many were off the game last Saturday; so what was his excise tonight? Same again. Either these players are not good enough of the side it set up so negatively with fear of actually attacking. In truth it is probably a combination of the two. Whatever it is, this United side looks miles off a promotion side. We can’t beat average sides at the Lane nor do we even look like creating many chances. We are not even playing really good sides, we are playing mid table sides or they will be and Clough’s sides cannot or have no idea how to break them down. Sad date of affairs really.

Officials – An odd set of officials again. The referee seemed to want to be the star of the show at times continually stopping games or playing to County’s continual ‘game management’ (blatant timewasting). He let Carroll get away with an disproportionate amount of time wasting and it went on from start to finish. Stopped the game a lot to slow things down which suited County bit rarely booked any of their players. I felt he was too slow to clamp down on them slowing play down and the cynical stop start attitude. United were guilty of poor play but were not helped by his leniency all match.

Crowd – Another good crowd of close to 20,000. County brought around 1,000 and were loud and passionate towards their side; helped by them going ahead and having something to defend. United’s fans became more and more frustrated by watching the slow and lethargic play all game. They were rightly booed off at the break for such a timid and slow slowing. We got better second half but why we have to wait every game till the second half is beyond me. The goal came and then suddenly the crowd came to life but more poor play and lack of positivity even in the last 15+ minutes saw more frustration and groans. United are somehow still getting ridiculously large crowds to watch mostly really poor play and quite negative football.

Good cross from Harris for our goal but other than that, he looked like he was under strict orders not to cross the halfway line. There was a few times in second half when there was acres of space on the left for him to run into. Struggling to remember too many wayward passes from Reed who in my opinion always looks comfortable on the ball and should be starting games. Murphy for me always looks more of a threat when he plays a more central role. No matter what, and yes his end product is mixed, but JCR always gives the opposition something to think about. Higdon, though poor tonight, has shown in the past that he can be an influence so lets not be too quick to write him off, has to learn though that United fans will not tolerate a lack of effort, which regrettably led to the reaction following his substitution.

County weren't up to much, but your continual references to two average league one sides in them and Oldham ?. Oldham looked one of the best sides, if not the best side I have seen at the Lane this season and, with such a poor looking division this season have every chance of going up.

Thanks as always though Deadbat for the report.

UTB
COYRWW

I think you have a point but the crowd this season have been mostly quiet due to the turgid performances served up game after game. Once we score the atmosphere changes completely and the place rocks. Any player who can't handle it needs shipping out fast.

I can't get to matches too often but made the trip from foggy Stockport last night hoping that the stories of a spineless tippy tappy United were untrue. Judging by the first halfs performance my worst fears were played out. My goodness we were so boring I spent more time watching the kid in front of me picking his nose than watching the match. There were so few forward runs I began to think the players had forgotten what the strange white sticks at the end of the pitch were actually for, and instead were still playing a training ground game of keep ball.

Second half was better. Clough could be seen encouraging the team forward and more players opted to run an extra 10 yards forward before releasing the ball rather than always looking to move it sideways, as was the firsts halfs pattern.

As Deadbat said Higdon was awful. He doesn't run, doesn't jump, doesnt make space for other players.... He offers so little I can't believe that after a weeks training Clough thinks he is the best option upfront. Maybe he has a more talented doppelgänger who trains for him midweek. Clough got the wrong Higdon

JCR really frustrated me. He has pace and wants to go forward, but unfortunately he doesn't appear to have a left foot. Almost every run ends with him doing a bit of trickery and cutting back inside and then going back outside to get back on his right foot, followed by a poor cross. On Radio Sheffield before the match they were saying that it's not necessarily that he's providing bad crosses but that there isn't always somebody on the end of them. I disagree entirely. His crosses were shite in the main. I recall 1 good cross in the second half and that's about it. Not good enough. My 5 year old daughter can do better, and she can kick a ball with both feet (she can also jump better than Higdon too btw).

Baxter was too negative, Murphy didn't really do much until the second half, scoogs put in a lot of effort, won more headers than Higdon (one) but didn't show too much attacking quality, and the kid in front of me finally got the massive bogey out of his nose at about 63 minutes.

If we can play with the purpose of the second half with COG doing everything that Higdon doesnt, I suspect we'll have too much for most teams in the league (County weren't great), but if Clough is instructing the team to play possession football in the first half of every game Oh Gravy will have been a complete was of time.

I forgot my Rennie so my pre match pint and pie came back to haunt me in the second half, and the drive up Winnets in the fog was horrific. Should have let the train take the strain.

I use to really like Deadbat 's reports. They were good balanced views. Now I think too much emotion is going into them, especially with the player ratings.

McEveley had another great performance at CB as he always seems to do.

Basham 2nd half was great, especially when he moved into midfield.

McCarthy - I'm not sure on this one. We gave away another sloppy goal as we have done when he's been in the team previously. I'm not saying all are his fault but is it more than coincidence? One thing I have thought about him is that people moan at his distribution. He clearly wants a midfielder to come and take the ball (rightly so) and none seem to appear so ultimately rather than lump it, he hangs on and waits, hangs on a little more, then gets under a bit of pressure and ultimately lumps it anyway. He can't carry the ball like McEveley. I think the midfielders could do with coming for the ball off the CBs more.

Higdon - I feel sorry for this guy, I genuinely do. Yes he had a bad game in reality, his touch was off etc. HOWEVER, why do we change the style of play just because he is on the pitch? It's difficult for anybody to win a ball drilled at pace in the air when you have your back to goal and a defender up your arse. Because he doesn't have a forward partner up there, he also can't just "flick it on" as most morons in the crowd moaned at him for not doing throughout the game. If he flicks it on, the GK gets it. He has to hold it up which means he has to jump higher to chest or cushion the ball to feet with a header. What then happens is he gets a push in his back ... and no foul. One thing we didn't see when Higdon was on the pitch and this is where we will see the best from Higdon is good crosses from the byline. He will win them and he will score them.

If we try to use O'Grady in the same sort of role as we did Higdon last night then I'm afraid we'll all be disappointed with him.

JCR - If he could cross the ball, he'd get a 9 or 10 rating every game. He can't. What he should do in training is just cross the ball, then cross some more. He knows he can beat a man, what he can't do is cross the fucking ball... Which again, goes back to my point about Higdon's performance.

Agree with most of that ^^^^. On Higdon, his first instinct is to fight with the centre half instead of positioning himself correctly to be anywhere near it. If he focused on challenging the ball he'd have a lot more success. He was shite tonight though, I felt like I'd put a better shift in from my seat. Agree we shouldn't have changed our style though. We'd be as well telling him not to bother coming into the channels for the ball and to merely concentrate on getting in the box when we have possession. He'd no doubt bag a few if he got the correct service from wide areas.

Thought Mceveley was the pick of the defence again. Harris played ok but was too happy to sit deep rather than getting onto the touchline to offer width when Baxter was playing further inside second half (goal aside).

Actually felt Baxter was the best player on the pitch for the first 25 mins then he faded away and got caught up with the all round sloppiness on show. Can't agree with Sitwell on this one I'm afraid, he's one of few prepared to get his head up and take a risk rather than the easy option.

Overall though, shite. Far too slow in our buildup and happy to keep possession between the back four when we need to be doing that further up the pitch...a shame really as we have the midfield to do just that. More urgency, tempo and incisiveness required on Tuesday night.

My house can jump higher than Higdon. He is next to useless, on the pitch for 70 minutes and what contribution did he make that stands out? I can't remember the last "striker" we had who looked so out of place. He is without a shadow of a doubt the worst player we've got in the side at the moment, and possibly the worst I've seen turn out for us in at least ten years and probably longer.

Remember when we used to moan at Darius Henderson? Higdon makes Henderson look like Diego Costa.

Someone on here called Hidgon "The Higopotamus". They were bang on with that.

And while we're at it, Paddy McCarthy. If he's of Premier League standard then so am I. What a waste of a loan. What's Neill Collins doing, just collecting wages?

While ever we persist with Baxter in the side we will look a defensive team ,he just slows our momentum from the centre circle ,it really is a big problem for us. When he goes off the pace of our game increases notably and we have the opposition on the back foot. Sometimes we get away with it away from home when we work on counter attacking but it stifles us at home. I know he is popular on here and has ability but he has had one good game in 8 now and his role is a big problem for us.
Oh and I would give Jay one of mcarthys points.
Starting to agree with this. I like Baxter and I think he's skilled, but at the moment all he's doing is slowing play down. He was supposed to work great sat behind a main striker like last night, but it didn't work at all. Although some of that could be put down to Higdon's performance, 3/10 is generous.

On paper I think it looks too static with Baxter behind Higdon. The 4-2-3-1 formation also restricts Scougall in how much he can bomb forward, as Baxter won't do too much tracking back. By the sounds of it the full backs didn't go forward too much either and in sum it seems like attacking movement was our main problem again?

Back
Top Bottom