United 1 Crewe 2 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Sheffield United’s quest for a perfect week ended in failure after a late Crewe goal saw the Railwaymen win for the first ever time at Bramall Lane.

After Lauri Dalla Vale had given the Alex the lead in the first half; Jason Holt levelled matters and United fans expected the victory but the home side created little and at the death Ryan Colclough smashed home to send the visiting fans into raptures.
The performance on Tuesday had been excellent and United fans came into the game with a renewed confidence but just four days later the Blades were really poor and looked a long way off a side competing for promotion.

United began unchanged after a resounding win but started slowly and the ball possession and movement of Tuesday did not seem to be on show. Baxter had one shot blocked but Flynn and Murphy were struggling to get on the ball and the game began in a scrappy fashion.

United were slow and were giving the ball away and from such giveaways the first goal came. First Basham and then Coutts tossed away possession. Ikpeazu used good strength to force his way through and with no challenge found a through ball onto DALLA VALE who beat a square and slow backline. His finish was cool as he clipped it beyond Howard.

United tried to respond but more mistakes crept in.

Brayford gave the ball away and Crewe were in again but Ajose’s shot lacked power. He should have scored. Crewe then had another chance when Dalla Vale again got in and this time his shot was wide. It was poor from United with only a disallowed goal from Davies who was adjudged to have jumped into the keeper the only real attack they offered.

Brayford had a good chance but headed wide from a corner and then Davies’ cross cum shot went wide.

The half time whistle was not long coming after this and it was not a positive reaction from the crowd as the player trooped off.

At the break Flynn was replaced by Davies who went in a position down the right.

United at least showed some more attacking purpose and Murphy had one good run before running out of space. Another run from Murphy led to the leveller. He advanced and found HOLT who smartly controlled and finished under the keeper. It was a well made and taken goal and a rare moment of quality

Murphy then scuffed at the keeper when well placed before Davis for Crewe was not far off target. United were in the ascendancy but poor passing, crossing and control meant they were struggling to create many more chances.
Doyle and Done came on for Baxter and Davies and then from a corner Basham hit the post from a header in United’s best moment and chance apart from the goal.

Dalla Vale then nearly caught out Howard with a turn and shot before Davies at the other end crossed into the Kop for the third time!

As the clock ticked towards 90 minutes, Davies gave away a silly foul and from it a corner resulted. As the ball came over and was half cleared COLCLOUGH received the ball and hit a fierce shot that dipped and arrowed past Howard. It went in the goal fairly centrally and the keeper will have been disappointed to let it go in. The Crewe players celebrated wildly as they knew they were close to stealing an unlikely three points right on stoppage time.

In the additional time, Coutts fired over when he should have done better but soon after the expected boos rang around the Lane as United lost at home again for the fifth time this season and the third time in five games.

United
– Summed up United really. He kept the same team but they looked a completely different team. Gone was the energy, high tempo pressing and forward football to be replaced by much of what we have seen most of the season.

Slow, methodical play with little penetration, little creativity and few chances of note. We did not deserve to lose the game but Crewe actually has as many if not more clear chances. They easily could have gone in at half time a couple up. Second half was a bit better but not by much. We got a goal and huffed and puffed but the passing, movement and touch of nearly every player was eye poppingly bad. Basic stuff was done badly time and time again. It seemed to spread across the side as passes went astray, balls sailed out of play and players were stumbling all over. Crewe were little better but the late goal kind of summed up the day. Defeats to Fleetwood and Crewe at the Lane are unacceptable. Yes we are in this division on merit but you really expect much better of SUFC than the dross we have been served up most weeks (Tuesday aside).

After watching today I was staggered that it was the same team as the other night but that sums up the inconsistency of the side but would add we have been closer to the ragamuffin side I saw today most of the season than against Scunthorpe which is worrying. I came away today thinking we have little to no chance of going up and concerned we will even scrape in the playoffs after watching that. I don’t fancy us to get anything much against Barnsley or Doncaster if we play anything like that.

People may say it is a one off game; forget it, get over it and move on but it isn’t? We have seen games similar to that much of the season. Today I felt took on a new low though as I saw a team of players that in short looked hopeless. Could not pass, tackle, shoot or do anything for much of the 90 minutes. It really was dire and one of the poorest SUFC performances I have seen in recent years and I have seen some bad ones. It lacked excitement, drive, passion and more than all that quality. Some of the players that have been seen as integral parts of any push to promotion or move into the division above (Brayford, Murphy, Basham etc) looked not even good enough for the middle of League One.

Crewe were a poor side and another one there for the taking but we barely made the keeper make a save all afternoon.

Crewe – Thought they were poor but looked dangerous when they broke (Dalla Vale and the big lad Ikpeazu caused problems all game for our slow and cumbersome centre backs with movement and power) and with better finishing could have been out of sight at half time but as they kept getting breakaways from our poor play they squandered many of them.
They took their first goal well but then after this the passing and touch they showed was no better than ours. It was two poor sides really. The big blond centre back headed it away all game and they kept a decent defensive shape but were never tested at all. The late winner was undeserved but fair play they had more shots on goal than us and will say going forward they showed more quality and restricted a top 6 side to barely a decent effort all match. They will struggle to stay up but the only saving grace we have seen sides as bad or even worse. However the fact we are struggling to beat such abject sides shows how far we have fallen.

Howard 6/10 –
First goal has little chance and then made a few regulation saves when they should have done better. I will say I thought he should have done better on the winner. Clough says it took a deflection. I did not see it and felt it was a hard shot but went straight through his hands. If I had been keeping goal I would have been disappointed to let that go in.

Freeman 6.5/10 –
Maybe one of our best players and he was hardly great but he at least showed some energy and got up and down. Gave it away like the rest quite a bit but at times made some good runs forward and got ahead of players. Been one of our best players in recent weeks and he is a very ordinary player. Says it all.

Harris 5/10 –
Another really up and down display with more downs than ups. Gave ball away a few times to set them on the attack and never really got forward that much. Way too many errors in one game for a defender and is another that I am not sure is good enough due to such regular mistakes.

Brayford 4.5/10
– He was good Tuesday but for the most part he has been a big disappointment since he returned and is looking an expensive mistake at the moment. Like the guy a lot and maybe he will come again but he looks poor at the moment. He looks leaden weight, sloppy on the ball and is losing his men at key times. First goal today he seemed to be caught ball watching and made another error soon after that should have made it 2-0. He is not a centre back but then he was not doing great at right back when he returned. Needs to improve.

Basham 4.5/10
– A lot like him at centre back and I have praised him but being honest with him as a regular in our defence we are shipping goals routinely. I am not sure he is quite as good we all think. He does not dominate does not read the game very well and gets in poor positions. Also he is very sloppy and slow with the ball often making mistakes before he even gets to half way. The fact he has won some of the player of the year awards sums it up really. A bang average journeyman footballer who is steady but lacks a position and another who for a big lad had no power or pace. I felt the two centre backs were awful today and the two Crewe lads gave them the runaround and they barely had much of the play in the last third. Whenever it came up to this area they either got the ball first or we did and gave it them.

Holt 6/10
– He had a decent 10 minute spell second half and scored a neat goal. He buzzed around and at least got into the box. However the rest of the game he was average and did not have that much impact on the game. I barely saw him first half at all. He at least shows he maybe can get us some goals but unsure he is much better than what we have really and I would not sign him in the summer on what I have seen. Once again he was one of our better players though today so not sure what says about the rest!

Coutts 5/10
– Still waiting to see what he offers really. He passes it sideways and backwards a lot, does not really drive forward with the ball; is not a goal threat and does not make goals (no assists or goals since he came?). Neat and tidy on occasions but does not impact the game for me. The chance he blazed over summed up his finishing. He is abject when in front of goal – his shots all seem to go miles over the bar? Another bang average signing. Crying out for quality to really dictate in the middle of the field and we have average players like Holt and Coutts who lack any real qualities. Pace? No. Power? No. Dribbling? No. Tackling? No. Aerial ability? No.

Baxter 4/10
– He reverted back to the poor-ordinary form he has showed much of the season today. Was really good in the last two games. Today he was awful. Gave it away, looked leggy and was lazy not running for balls. He did not make any forward passes of note, he sauntered around without having much of an impact on anything and looked knackered after half an hour. Embarrassing that a professional whose job is essentially to be fit and run around cannot do that. He was wheezing and bent over after 5 minutes! Don’t buy all this big bone and his natural body shape crap. He is unfit and overweight. He needs to be told this summer; to lose weight, get fit or he is done. Simple.

Murphy 6/10
– Our best player most of this season and today whilst he had one of his poorer games; still looked our main threat. Tried to get at them and run with the ball but it never really happened for him. He was double and triple marked and this made it hard. His passing and crossing was not great today but at least did try and run with it and make things happen but just got crowded out.

Flynn 5/10
– Not really in the game at all. After such a good performance Tuesday I thought he would kick on but today nothing. He barely put a cross in or got on the ball much and then went off, apparently injured, at half time.

Davies 6/10
– His poorest game for United but that was not all his fault. Had no service whatsoever and aimless balls to no one meant he was chasing the football. He did get booked for a poor foul and then raised his hands in another incident which was daft. Came off as he was injured too apparently? Did not look it and I would have left him on with Done or McNulty alongside.

Subs-

Davies 1/10
– One of the worst 45 minute performances I have seen in recent times. Jordan Stewart-esque! Honestly. I am not exaggerating. I don’t mind the guy. In a way he is a useful club man type who can come on and normally do a job but also you could backtrack that and say he is another ageing, slow journeyman that won’t help us get out of this league. Today he came on (I would have put Adams or Done on personally) and literally did one thing right; the cross at the end that Coutts blazed over. The rest of the time, he put 3 crosses into the Kop, gave it away constantly and then stupid foul for the free kick which led to the corner. Oh and the corner he lost his man which led to the ball not being cleared and the winner. He was dreadful.

Doyle
– Came on in midfield but I am not sure he was needed at this point and can’t recall him doing much of anything when he came on. We certainly had no better control of this area.

Done
– Know he has had a few knocks but Clough is messing him around the same way that he has with McNulty. In and out of the team, playing him in wide positions and now he has gone from a player bang in form and confident to someone who does not even know if he will play? Today he came on and did not really offer much but again there was no service at all.

Sainsburys Orange Plastic Bag 8/10 – Great movement in the first half. Was all around the final third; got into some great positions and even though man marked (two smaller white bags) he shook them off and ended up in the net. Genuinely moved about more than any of our players.

Manager rating
– Clough 1/10 – Got the plaudits in the week but today nothing much went right. He says his substitutions were enforced but the players he brought on did not improve things. He brought on Davies who was awful, Doyle did not impact the game and Done also did not contribute. However he made the wrong choices and could have given us pace and movement and attacking instinct if he had brought on an Adams or a McNulty. Bringing on likes of Davies and Doyle helped give them initiative. Slow, defence minded players but that seems to be Clough’s way. He came on the radio and said he should have changed the team as he had tired legs but then said he could not as they had won in the week? He seemed to be arguing with himself! He knows many more performances like that and the crowd (some have already) will turn. He has 7 games to save his job really – if they fail to make the playoffs then I think they will move him on (I cannot see how people can see that would be harsh either with resources and squad size he has). If they make the playoffs he will get a reprieve for next season but then f they start badly then he will be gone and another season down the drain. He faces a testing time over the next few months whatever happens and all the cup runs and excitement is long forgotten now. Fans just see defeats to Crewe and Fleetwood and for the most part abject performances. It is only because the division is filled with dross that we are still somehow in the top 6. The performances and results this season. To lose 12 games this season at this level is unacceptable and to be 23 points off the top team is also not good enough. This is his team now and he has been backed and it is not happening. Of course we have to wait till the end of the season before decisions are made and who knows they may surprise us and somehow win the playoffs but if they don’t then the board have some serious decisions to make.

Officials –
They were fine. In fact the referee let play go a lot and was not fussy. He liked the advantage and also let some physical stuff go both ways. No problems at all with him.

Crowd
– Another near 20,000 crowd. They were quiet and at times got frustrated but understandably. It was awful and all they wanted was the side to control a football and pass a football forward and maybe have a few shots. We failed on all accounts for much of today. Season ticket prices have gone up too! Be interesting to see how many do renew; especially if they do not go up as I do think the initial optimism of Clough has long gone and think there will be a drop off. Sums it up when a friend told me he opted to go and wander round a cheese market rather than come to the Lane today. He made the right choice of what event to attend but unsure if he got the cheese he wanted.

Sainsburys Orange Plastic Bag 8/10 – Great movement in the first half. Was all around the final third; got into some great positions and even though man marked (two smaller white bags) he shook them off and ended up in the net. Genuinely moved about more than any of our players.

LOL, Fantastic deadbat. I actually thought the Sainsburys bag was the most entertaining thing about the whole game.

Sainsburys Orange Plastic Bag 8/10
– Great movement in the first half. Was all around the final third; got into some great positions and even though man marked (two smaller white bags) he shook them off and ended up in the net. Genuinely moved about more than any of our players.

Agreed. One of the best performers in the first half. That's probably why there was no sign in the second half...

Spot on DB. Can't argue with any of that. You could just copy and paste reports from earlier on in the season and then summarise the other team. It would save you a lot of time.

Since when on Earth did Brayford, Coutts and Basham play better than Baxter? Granted he was poor compared to Tuesday but I'm afraid Deadbat this loss is just another excuse to call him overweight, unfit, fat or the same old pathetic names that really are not warranted. Why the fuck would the lad want to play for us with these kinds of bone idle, unsupportive fans? Fans who quite frankly would prefer to slag the guy off as soon as he misaces a pass even if he's the only one in the team trying to get the ball forward (something I noticed yesterday).

Since when on Earth did Brayford, Coutts and Basham play better than Baxter? Granted he was poor compared to Tuesday but I'm afraid Deadbat this loss is just another excuse to call him overweight, unfit, fat or the same old pathetic names that really are not warranted. Why the fuck would the lad want to play for us with these kinds of bone idle, unsupportive fans? Fans who quite frankly would prefer to slag the guy off as soon as he misaces a pass even if he's the only one in the team trying to get the ball forward (something I noticed yesterday).

Agree. Baxter was one of the better performers yesterday. Not saying much, but we do like a scapegoat, don't we?

Agree with that Deadbat, although 5/10 probably flatters Coutts. B Davies was AWFUL when he came on. Some wag behind me on the kop was giving a running commentary on the bag.

If we don't go up the board and Jim Phipps will get a real shock when we play in front of vastly reduced crowds next season. Still can't believe we get 19,660 for a match with Crewe in this Ale house division with the dross on display

Agree with that Deadbat, although 5/10 probably flatters Coutts. B Davies was AWFUL when he came on. Some wag behind me on the kop was giving a running commentary on the bag.

If we don't go up the board and Jim Phipps will get a real shock when we play in front of vastly reduced crowds next season. Still can't believe we get 19,660 for a match with Crewe in this Ale house division with the dross on display
Yep, Ben Davies, always a player I've had time for was unbelievably bad yesterday, reminded me of a Sunday league player who'd had a heavy night on the ale.
Coutts always looks like that every game too.
And your point about the crowds is spot on. The reason I'm guessing the trigger will be pulled once the play offs are - "no longer our aim and we are hoping to finish as high as possible ready for a good go next season"

Marvelous!

Clough said in his interview all three substituted players had injuries - maybe so, but in no way were they unable to continue. All three were active until taken off, ironically in particular Baxter who was the only one getting alongside Davis at that stage. Holt had suffered a confidence cricis and Davies was awful, both of those should have come off before the others. Davis was losing his composure, no doubt about that, but the arrival of Done alongside him, essentially CLOSE TO HIM, would have made a big difference.

The penny is dropping. Clough's management since the end of last season has been diabolical, not just poor. Heaven forbid us getting promotion, it would be embarrassing up there.

The manager said in his interview something like "perhaps the fans will now realsie if we had not conceded those late goals against Fleetwood and Peterborough, we would have two more points and a play-off place all the nearer". That speaks volumes about his caution and even more about his sensitivity and frame of mind.

We do we seem to have players going off with injuries before the hour mark every bloody game?

We had to keep Flynn on in his first game back from a long lay-off a few weeks ago against Peterborough due to other injuries and look how that cost us!

I don't fault Clough for playing the same outfield 10 after Tuesday.

The main thing this shows is how inconsistent the team is. We have few good players. The rest are bang average - some good games, some bad games.

Deadbat - why did you think Flynn would do well? He was good on Tuesday. That's it for the next 6 weeks. He plays well once every 7 or 8 games. Others are similar.

Davies has been doing well but I want us to play those guys who have actually scored if he's injured now.

I still think we'll make it but there's no chance of a playoff win as we simply are not consistent enough to put in 3 good performances in a row when it matters.

Clough said in his interview all three substituted players had injuries - maybe so, but in no way were they unable to continue. All three were active until taken off, ironically in particular Baxter who was the only one getting alongside Davis at that stage. Holt had suffered a confidence cricis and Davies was awful, both of those should have come off before the others. Davis was losing his composure, no doubt about that, but the arrival of Done alongside him, essentially CLOSE TO HIM, would have made a big difference.

The penny is dropping. Clough's management since the end of last season has been diabolical, not just poor. Heaven forbid us getting promotion, it would be embarrassing up there.

The manager said in his interview something like "perhaps the fans will now realsie if we had not conceded those late goals against Fleetwood and Peterborough, we would have two more points and a play-off place all the nearer". That speaks volumes about his caution and even more about his sensitivity and frame of mind.

Then he was watching a different game to me against Fleetwood. There were no late goals. They were two up at half time

If we hadn't conceded late goals against just Peterborough we'd have three more points anyway, as we were winning 1-0 and lost 2-1.

Your passionate support of Baxter is well noted, however, yesterday he was back to the usual Baxter after a brief cameo in midweek where he was average ( which is a definite improvement on his usual performances) He is without doubt, one of our most talented players, but fails to stamp his mark on games at this level.

I have labelled him "an expensive luxury" in our side at L1 level and I stick by that. he still hasn't learned that he will NOT get fouls at this agricultural level, when he is fouled. Referees are simply too crap to give a foul !!

Loan him to a Championship side next season along with Scougal whilst we grind our way through L1 again ........ :(
UTB & FTP

Star of the afternoon on two occasions under alehouse Adams, was a white pigeon circling the entire game, around the stadium.Now its an orange carrier bag.

Brayford is a dreadful signing, as if an ambitious club would let him go that softly if he was anything good. Flash in the pan, Nigels pub buddy.

Last edited:
Star of the afternoon on two occasions under alehouse Adams, was a white pigeon circling the entire game, around the stadium.Now its an orange carrier bag.

Brayford is a dreadful signing, as if an ambitious club would let him go that softly if he was anything good. Flash in the pan, Nigels pub buddy.
Embarrassing makes you wonder whats the point really.

Your passionate support of Baxter is well noted, however, yesterday he was back to the usual Baxter after a brief cameo in midweek where he was average ( which is a definite improvement on his usual performances) He is without doubt, one of our most talented players, but fails to stamp his mark on games at this level.

I have labelled him "an expensive luxury" in our side at L1 level and I stick by that. he still hasn't learned that he will NOT get fouls at this agricultural level, when he is fouled. Referees are simply too crap to give a foul !!

Loan him to a Championship side next season along with Scougal whilst we grind our way through L1 again ........ :(
UTB & FTP

Is he MOM in yesterdays ratings or only second or third best?

EDIT: He's gone from 2nd to 4th. What a dreadful performance from one of our best players. I see what you mean.:rolleyes:

I have defended Baxter against a torrent of abuse on these forums and often he gets a really bad deal. Same with the crowd who as you say have criticised his misplaced passes at times. He was really good in the week and decent last Saturday.

Yesterday along with most he was poor and hardly anything he did came off. I can take the odd misplaced pass or touch but yesterday he was lazy. My point about him being unfit and overweight are warranted as he is overweight and unfit - a professional footballer that cannot run back or is shattered after 10 minutes of a 90 minute game is unacceptable. I do agree he is one of few who tries to pass it forward and for all stick he gets he is still better than Scougall, Coutts, Done, Ben Davies etc and yet Baxter is still not really good enough for a side going for promotion so what that tells us about the rest I don't know?! Baxter has scored a decent amount of goals (some pens but still got to score them) and he is still better than most we have and there are far bigger issues than him. Still in an ideal world he would not be a regular for me due to inconsistency, poor fitness and dedication to his trade. However those others mentioned are even worse and at least Baxter offers something.

For me in the summer regardless of what happens we will need 2 central defenders and 2 central midfielders. Doyle and Collins will be gone. Wallace is never fit. Ditto Kennedy. shame as those two would start if fit for me. Reed will play more games but is probably not going to play every week. So we have a real weakness in 4 key positions; 5 if we play a 3 in midfield. We are lacking leadership, domination in terms of tackling/heading and guile/skill.

I don't fault Clough for playing the same outfield 10 after Tuesday.

The main thing this shows is how inconsistent the team is. We have few good players. The rest are bang average - some good games, some bad games.

Deadbat - why did you think Flynn would do well? He was good on Tuesday. That's it for the next 6 weeks. He plays well once every 7 or 8 games. Others are similar.

Davies has been doing well but I want us to play those guys who have actually scored if he's injured now.

I still think we'll make it but there's no chance of a playoff win as we simply are not consistent enough to put in 3 good performances in a row when it matters.

Yeah you are right about Flynn. He had a spell of decent games at right back but for the most part he has been poor this season when fit. He has not hit eights of end of last season. Maybe now he has a new contract motivation is not the same. As you say over the course of his United career he plays well maybe one in 6 or 7. That is not good enough but sadly he is not alone and explains why we are messing about struggling to even get a playoff place.

You are right a set of average journeymen for the most part with most not capable of playing at a higher level save for maybe Murphy, Reed and Brayford.

It was a shame to see Baxter revert back to his old game ,he played well on Tuesday ,the disappointing thing for me was to see him roll his socks down 10 minutes after half time and keep looking to the bench as though he wanted to come off. Maybe as Clough says he was struggling with an injury ,if that's the case he should be cut some slack.

Season ticket prices have gone up too! Be interesting to see how many do renew; especially if they do not go up .

Of course we'll go up. They've obviously simply increased the season ticket prices to prepare us.

Back
Top Bottom