United 1 Bristol Rovers 0 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
The Blades kept their unbeaten run going making it six without defeat and five in six wins as they won their second consecutive home game by a single goal. Both United and visitors Bristol Rovers came into the game in great form and a competitive game was settled by a single goal with a Harry Chapman header from a Daniel Lafferty cross. A red card from Jermaine Easter soon after did not help the Pirates cause and the Blades did enough to see out the game despite some late scares.

With suspension and injuries, United brought back Stefan Scougall and seemed to go to a 4-4-2 formation with O’Connell and Ebanks Landell at the heart of the defence and Fleck and Coutts in the centre of midfield. The game began with Rovers starting brightly and O’ Clarke curled wide and then Ebanks Landell had to make two great blocks.

Slowly the Blades started to come back into it and Fleck had a shot wide before a nice ball from Scougall played in Sharp whose shot was blocked by the legs of Roos. It was a great chance and one that you would have back the striker to convert.

The game became mired in a midfield battle with Rovers playing some neat and tidy stuff but they did not threaten too much and indeed Done’s hard work saw a half chance for Done but he was blocked out. At the other end, Lines shot was saved by Moore who pushed it away.

Overall, it had been an even first half and there were few chances of note for either side as the hard working Rovers had limited United to many chances who knew with limited height/strength they had to play precise football to make any opportunities.

The second half saw O’ Clarke have a decent chance before an even better chance as Easter broke the offside trap but poked wide when one on one with Moore. It was the best chance of the game for Rovers and one they would regret not taking.

Chapman came on for Scoguall as United looked for ways to broke down the away side and he nearly scored when Sharp beat Roos to a diagonal cross and the ball fell to him but he poked wide.

Harrison shot at Moore whose handling was sound and United’s fans upped the volume as Duffy started to become more influential as he looked to find Done to no avail.

However, the deadlock was broken on 65 minutes when a move saw the ball played down the left and Lafferty put over a lovely cross that saw CHAPMAN leap high to power his header beyond Roos and into the net. He celebrated with a somersault to mark his first goal for the Blades!

Soon after any chances Rovers had of coming back were not helped when Easter’s over zealous challenge on O’Connell drew fury from United’s players who surrounded the referee as the United player lay prostrate on the deck. The red card was relatively instant from Sarginson and there was little appeal from any Rovers’ players which said it all.

Moore held another long ranger from Lines and as more changes came from both sides before Done dinked it just wide after a decent run. Lavery came on for Sharp and the game entered the final five minutes of stoppage time. The Rovers goalkeeper went up twice for corners and in this time added on, the away side had two good chances with Fleck and Lafferty clearning off the line, the latter after confusion at the back when Moore ran into his defence in trying to punch away. In between this Lavery was felled cynically as United tried to break from a corner but despite the hectic finish, United did enough to see things out and make it another victory.

United – Another win and another clean sheet. We scored a decent goal and defended well. In between this it was not brilliant but the desire and will wo win was there.

It was not great on the ball and at times we made some poor decisions with the ball but we scrapped and worked hard. We showed we cared and fought and won tackles. I felt going forward we looked ponderous and did not seem to know what to do in the final third. It was all very narrow and became congested. Done and Sharp tried to link and get in but it got squashed out and chances were few and far between. We did not have any really poor players but overall it was quite average I felt and we lacked cohesion at times and I felt we could have upped the tempo. Itt was too slow and predictable.

Yet despite this we still had enough of the ball and got into enough areas to do more. We just panicked or looked a bit short when we did get into the last third.

Despite this we did look more committed than we have been in seasons past and won tackles and made blocks. I thought the defence overall looked more solid with the keeper and two centre backs our outstanding three players. Ebanks Landell especially was excellent.

A lot of work to be done but we will take wins. We have players to come back in such as Wright, Basham, Clarke etc and I hope slowly we will keep getting better. We face a wounded side Fleetwood who have lost a few in a row. A draw would not be a disaster there for me. We then have two winnable home games. It will be very interesting to see where we are in three games as I would expect a few more wins at least.

Rovers- They did ok and I felt had a go. First half nothing in it and they had as many half chances as us. After the break was a similar story. It was a really tight game and it could have gone either way. We did have more of the second half and they maybe started to think of maybe if a point was enough and this was maybe their undoing as we started to have more of the play. They have been on a good run and I felt they had some decent players who were competitive throughout. The lad O’Clarke was lively and they have some big lad such as Boateng and Harrison. They of course were missing star man Taylor up front and on that performance they will have enough to keep away from the bottom and should be safely ensconced in the middle of the league at least.

Opponent man of the match: I thought the ex Wednesday lad, Lines was lively with a few good shots and looked to probe and get them in. Rovers were workmanlike and there will be worse sides than them that come to the Lane. Noone really stood out for right or wrong reasons.

Opponent Weak link: Easter. They had just gone 1-0 down and then he goes and does that. Did not even look at the ball and gave the referee no option. Madness and severely restricted them from coming back into the game.

SUFC Player Ratings –

Moore 7.5/10 – His handling is very good. Despite a few poor goals he conceded Saturday; he bounced back well tonight. He made some good low saves and most things stuck to him. Only once did he miss anything and that was when he was barged out of play and should have been a foul. They had a lot of long shots but he either held them or if needed pushed them away. Rarely does the ball come out. His kicking is a bit mixed and at times he launched it to no one especially with us having small forwards but overall he makes me feel a lot better about our defence and overall outlook.

Freeman 7/10 – Mostly fine with some decent tackles and interceptions. He used ball well when he had it too and tried to get forward. A few times he was caught ball watching I felt though and needed to be tighter to his man. I think he has all the makings of a decent player; especially at this level but just loses his concentration at times. Technically he is decent and generally shows he can do the basics.

Lafferty 6.5/10 – Used in flat back four tonight. Bit of a mixed bag. I felt defensively he was ok and did not make too many mistakes bit offensively he was a bit mixed and at times his passing was off the mark. However, his mark goes up by way of a superb cross for the goal. Hit with pace and precision; it was begging to be converted and it was. He is a steady sort of player. Nothing flash and plays the positions and areas well. On the ball he could do more and lacks pace and aggression but has certainly improved this area since coming in for Hussey; although the change of formation before tonight has helped.

O’Connell 7/10 – Thought he was solid enough tonight. Won a lot of headers and loose balls. I like the way he comes onto the ball and tries to attack things. Given more responsibility with us playing just two centre backs tonight but did ok and helped see off the visitors with a few headers away from deep in his own area. Ended up as the Captain as Sharp went off which shows a lot about what Wilder sees about him developing. Took a nasty blow on the red card which seemed an easy decision.

Ebanks Landell 8.5/10 – Thought he was superb. He kicked and headed everything away all night. Strong in the tackle, dominant and aggressive. Everything we have been lacking for the last few years. He took no prisoners and completely controlled that area of the field. Better on the floor than you think too. He has been a very good signing. A real brute of a centre half and someone at this level that we really have needed for a few years.

Fleck 6/10 – Bit disappointed with him tonight. Felt he flitted in and out of the game. Did some decent things and when he has the ball he is neat and tidy but sadly the game went for long spells without him having much influence. I felt he faded badly as the game went on and a few times they got away from our midfield. He is a decent footballer but needs to get on the ball more and make things happen. I thought for a home side we lost a lot of loose balls and did not control midfield enough; until they went down to ten men.

Coutts 7/10 – He has started the season well and showed his passing and class at times but I did feel tonight he was mixed. He looked great when on the ball and showed his class. Some nice touches and drifts away from the opposition mixed in with losing his man and letting players get away from him too easily. He frustrates me as he clearly has a lot of ability but looks scared when he gets in the last third and often then goes sideways or plays simple ball (never has a shot or play direct through ball). However, he shows he can switch play and use his ability to run with the ball. Yet, often he lost his runner and was behind the man. He got booked for playing a poor ball and then hacking at someone instead of running with them. I felt we looked too open at times in midfield and even though I have been a critic, we did actually miss Basham’s industry and height/arms and legs! Still he is one of our better players at the moment.

Duffy 6/10 – I am not convinced by him so far. He floats between midfield and attacks but his end product in games I have seen has been disappointing and he flatters to deceive. He often shoots way off target or over plays a cross/ball. He clearly has some talent and can get on the ball but we do need more from him in the final third. I feel he gets crowded out or makes poor final decisions. I do think there is a player in there and links midfield with attacks but not sure whether he is a winger, a number 10 or what he is? He is probably better in a 5 than a 4 I would say as he can take more chances and does not have to come back and do a job for the team as much.

Scougall 5.5/10 – Might get criticised for this but I thought he offered little really. He ran around a lot and never gave us lost causes but often the ball seemed to get away from him or his control/pass would let him down. Played one good pass to Sharp. He really does try and his effort is great but I see little of any kind of end product really. He played wide but often came inside to try and making things happen but I cannot recall many sure touches or passes. Not surprised he went off.

Done 7/10 – Worked so hard. He chases and harries and never lets defenders have a moment of peace. He had a few half chances with one good effort second half where he dinked it just wide and at times maybe quality is lacking but he really does chase all along that front line. He did not get too much service either. Not sure him and Sharp ever look like really linking up much but it was hard as they both needed it into feet and it did not always happen like that. He put a lot more effort in than Sharp tonight and seemed to be main outlet when we went forward.

Sharp 5.5/10 – Quiet-ish game really. He tried his best and a few decent bit of link up but much of the time he was playing off scraps. He did have one good chance first half when Scougall played him in but hit the keepers leg when you thought he may score. Kept trying but too many balls were played in front of him or he had to really chase. The game was a bit compressed and it became hard for him. Came off near the end of Lavery.

Subs –

Chapman – Came on and scored the winner! He was hit and miss when he came on with some decent bits of play and some loose play but the header was great. Totally unexpected as you would not have expected him to leap like so high. It was a really good finish.

Lavery – Brought on towards the end. Got booked for timewasting (kicked the ball away) but was hacked down also when he could have turned and scored – when the keeper was up. Certainly looks lively and very quick albeit it in limited time and a really useful lad to bring on.

Brown – Only came on right at the end when the game was effectively finished as we looked to see the game out although was involved in some of the scrambles as they had a few half chance

Manager – Wilder 7/10 – Another win. He had to change the formation and the side and we got another clean sheet and another win. It was not a great performance but it was workmanlike and like Peterborough we nicked a goal and did enough to see things out. He has certainly improved the effort and general will to win. Quality wise we could do a lot better and at times we still look a bit clueless in the final third but we look more determined to keep things out at the other end. We look like a side that gives a crap and results are starting to turn as a result. Not sure he will be that happy with the performances overall but the results have started to turn and he will hope our ball retention and adventure in the last third will improve.

Ref – Chris Sarginson. A bit of a mixed bag. Thought he was good for the first hour but then seemed to lose control a bit. Early on, he tried to keep things flowing but I also thought he let a few fouls go that were free kicks. He booked a pair for each side and they were all probably justified. Coutts pulled someone back and Lavery booted it away. Leadbitter’s foul was quite cynical (could have been red- see below) as was Boateng’s. The red card seemed an easy one as it was a really poor elbow. The reaction from the United players said it all and he did not wait long to brandish the red. After this he gave some odd decisions. At times he did not get much help from his assistants and also did not seem to know the rules. He asked O’Connell to go off when he was felled when the new rules say he does not have to leave. Played a lot of stoppage time and they nearly sneaked one although he could have sent the lad off for a cynical foul at the death. He then stopped out quick free kick for some reason when we could have scored the clincher which further penalised us. Just a bit inconsistent I felt in a nothing sort of game but he did get the one big decision right.

Crowd – It was quiet tonight for long spells despite a very healthy 19,000+ crowd and as the Rovers fans proclaimed; ‘Is this a Library?’ but then it is hard for Blades fans to get interested/excited for a Tuesday night game against less than exciting opponents when you have been stuck in this division for so long? I was surprised by a decent Rovers following. They brought 800+ and were behind them all night. United fans took a while to warm up but did make more noise after the break and helped see the home side to victory.

Deadbats report 6/10

A slight deviation from the usual 8/9/10. Could have taken marks away from Moore who I felt on the odd occasion didn't live up to his previous form. The Eel also had his moments, whilst Coutts looked a class above tonight.

However your reports are generally always accurate and a pleasure to read, and something I always take as gospel, and football reportage is often subjective.

I would also like to praise Bristol Rovers, brought a superb and vocal following, and on the pitch they had a real go. In the past worst teams than they are would have beaten us tonight. The fact they didn't is a huge point of praise for Wilder

Another great report, thankyou. Although I thought OConnell was better than Ebanks, who flapped abit in some of his play. Moore also I felt should have come out of his goal line and claimed the ball for those last couple of corners. But overall pleasing to see we can dig in and get a result.

Was impressed with both centre halves, EEL's not got the greatest touch, but he's solid as a rock and that'll be fine on the evidence so far for this division. Thought it was one O'Connell's better games for us too and he is starting to look the part.

MoM for me was Moore, Coutts just behind, his passing and control is better than anyone else in the squad, but there are frustrating times when there is still seemingly a lack of effort defensively and him allowing an opposing midfielder to get goalside of him. when it seems avoidable.

Some sloppy passing tonight, I thought they were a tad unlucky not to get a point, but we're nothing if not resilient under Wilder, great to see the players getting stuck in and meeting the challenge blocking shots and not allowing Rovers players time on the ball. Agree that Moore does give the defence a more assured and convincing look.
Duffy is frustrating, takes his time and rarely looks flustered on the ball but seems to have little real impact.

Another good crowd reinforced by a good vocal following from Brizzel.

Sorry to sound a bit Wendy but praise should go to the numbers we have turning out, only one other 19,000 crowd in the Championsip and all the rest quite a bit lower than that

Ebanks Landell nearly gave me heart attack when he slipped in the first half luckily Moore was alert. Ebanks Landell makes lots of good clean tackles and dominates opponents, but as someone already mentioned his touch at times is poor

Special mention to the young ball boy again who keeps hold of the ball well under pressure towards the end of games.

EEL may lack finesse but I think he has been crucial to our improved results. He makes crucial blocks and tackles and provides the power and aggression we need. He makes a few stray passes but this is outweighed by the good things he does. Personally I would be worried about our defence without him.

Thought that report was spot on. O'Connell and Ebanks-Landell were immense with Moore assured again behind them. What a relief it is that we finally have some strong defenders. Still think we're too light in midfield even when Basham is there and I felt that both Peterborough and Rovers last night 'won' the midfield in those games. It's a good sign that we've not played particularly well, had very few chances, was it one save from Sharp and the goal actually on target?..... and we still managed to win the game with one moment of a good ball out wide to Lafferty (who played that ball?), fantastic cross and a great header.

Moore - 7.5
Freeman - 6
Ebanks-Landell - 7.5
O'Connell - 8
Lafferty - 6
Duffy - 6
Coutts - 8
Fleck - 6
Scougall - 5
Done 6.5
Sharp - 5.5

Chapman - 7
Lavery - 6
Brown - n/a

Just a quick mention for the ref. Let a lot go, in my view, which fussier refs would have given. I like this (providing it's the same for both sides which I thought it was)!
Don't think the lad left him with any choice with the red.

Can't believe how Duffy's awful performance hasn't been highlighted more. He's suppose to be a creative player and is reluctant to make a positive forward pass, cross it or take a shot. Whenever he lost the ball, he didn't work to get it back either.
The back 5 and Coutts did well, but our attacking players were all below par for me.

Once again we have seen our "game management" in the last 10-15 minutes.

Can understand it playing 11 v 11, but we showed that we could pass around them also so why not in the final 3rd?

There are times when we will get caught doing that and there are times when we also need to chase games - we should have gone for a 2nd goal when they were down to 10 - and teach ourselves what to do when we do actually need to get a goal.

Disappointed how we finished the game and I saw once again why Scoogs shouldn't play in a midfield of 4 - happens ever time.

UTB

But we can't "take" them now. So we end up discussing how best we can get 15 wins of any description.

For my money it's about getting the performances right and then, it's almost inevitable, the results follow. We are playing far better than the first few games of the season and so, I believe, are heading in the right direction. We can, I hope, play better and I think we will.

Thought O'Connell's performance was every much as good as EEL last night, if not better. I put the 1-0 win down to those two being rock solid. The midfield pairing in front of them (Coutts and Fleck) were offering no protection, so it was down to EEL & JOC carrying the team to the win. It's what most Blades fans have been banging on about for the last 2 years, fingers crossed these two stay fit.

Since Maguire's departure last night was just the type of game we were losing, usually down to conceding soft goals at the back. If EEL and JOC had been the centre halves in Clough's only full season we'd have finished top two. Better late than never I suppose and the win against Bristol (and equally v Peterborough) is just the type of victory that gets teams promoted. Not brilliant but chiselled out the win. Keep it up Blades, we'll do even better when Clarke returns.

Back
Top Bottom