United 1 Bradford 1 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Sheffield United’s wait to secure a playoff spot goes on after a late Bradford equaliser from former Blade Billy Clarke. United had seemed set to seal the three points they needed after Jason Holt scored once again but the equally scrappy leveller denied United again. A draw was a fair result in a game lacking real quality throughout. The Blades once again failed to totally convince against another poor opponent.

Manager Nigel Clough changed the side again with Kennedy, Baxter and Murphy in for Flynn, Scougall and also Done. Bradford had a number of players with United connections amongst their match day squad and began with Tony McMahon in the centre of midfield.

Baxter began on the right but Bradford began well and Halliday flashed wide before Knott was not far off target against a sluggish Blades. United had been poor but had the best chance when Brayford was set up from Davies’ pass and his cross fell to Murphy who wildly blazed his shot over the bar.

Bradford came again and Clarke looked set to score but his shot was cleared over the line from Basham as Howard was beaten. McArdle was booked for a foul as United tried to break down the right hand angle.

Bradford then nearly got in from Hanson’s knock down but Basham got the block in. Coutts had a shot blocked before a neat turn from Davies saw him get a shot away (United’s first on target) just before the break but Williams saved easily. Doyle was then booked before the half time whistle went.

At half time Kennedy was withdrawn, with seemingly another knee injury and Alcock came on meaning Brayford had to go to centre back.

United improved for the opening stages but were struggling to create much in the way of chances. They forced more play in the final third though and Murphy was getting on the ball more. Davies won a free kick before Doyle’s ball gave United some room down the right.

Murphy was able to get the run on Andrew Davis and his cross was not cleared and fell kindly to HOLT who was able to calmly convert from close range. It had been a poor game but it was the all important opening goal.

Yeates came on and had two shots; one good one powerfully hit but straight at Howard. For United Adams was brought on for Baxter and Coutts came inside with Murphy going to the right.

Bradford put another former Blade, this time Jon Stead who drew a better reaction than McMahon and Yeates. Soon after his introduction City were level with just 6 minutes remaining.

A free kick came over and as Hanson went down in the box looking for a penalty, Davies won the header for City and the ball fell to CLARKE that did not make the cleanest contact but it bounced beyond Howard into the net. It was a really poor goal to concede and should have been cleared and then saved.

United tried to rouse themselves but the goal has knocked the stuffing out of them and they huffed and puffed to little affect. The won a free kick when McArdle then blocked off Davies and after a delay the referee opted to give the City man a second yellow card and his subsequent marching orders.

An additional 5 minutes of stoppage time was to be played but it took united at least 2 or 3 minutes before they could even get it into the Bradford half as the visitors had a series of throws ins deep in home territory. United won a corner but it came to nothing and the game fizzled out drawing boos from another large but disappointed home crowd.

United – Not good enough. Again. I could just copy and paste most of the other reports from this season and I am tired of writing same thing. To summarise briefly; it was slow, ponderous, lacking goal threat, negative with the best two players the full backs. We did not have many chances nor create much against another poor side. We nicked a goal and should have seen it out but gave away another sloppy goal. The three results and performances this week have been really poor. There are no excuses for me. They have rotated players so tiredness should not be an issue but again they served up a really poor performance against a side that should have been rock bottom in confidence. We started badly again and then the game just sort of drifted by. We did not deserve to win the game and a draw between two not even ordinary sides was fair. It ought to have finished 0-0. Both goals were so scrappy.

We lacked shape, spine and organisation allied to little skill. I have no confidence this side can raise themselves for the playoffs (expect they will get in now – Rochdale need to win all 3 of course, we need to then lose 2 but sure we will scrape a draw and/or Rochdale won’t win all 3 (got Orient, MK and Barnsley to come).MK are destroying teams and Chesterfield are in great form. I have a concern we will drop to 6th – Chesterfield play an already promoted Bristol and then come to us and cannot see how we would beat them playing the way we are versus the way we are playing. I think some fans think we are suddenly going to turn on a switch and we will see a different side. It is very unlikely to happen. The side we saw today is the one we have seen much of the season and I cannot see why they would suddenly lift themselves say 50%. Clough is already giving the tired excuse so how he will lift them I do not know. You never know. Football can surprise you but like the team 2 years ago that scraped in and then tamely lost to Yeovil; I cannot see us even getting to the final.

Bradford – Thought they were poor too. A team loaded with experience but they have fell away. Maybe they are jaded in the sense they have a much smaller squad than us but they looked as poor as us. They started well and had a few half chances but never made Howard work. They played a lot of long stuff to Hanson and whilst he is a handful it does become a bit one dimensional at times. I was amazed Stead remained on the bench and whilst there is clearly some issues with him (so many clubs) being a regular anywhere he has been, he would have been better than anything on that pitch in an attacking sense. Soon as he came on it was ironic they scored instantly. They too sort of played one up top with Clarke off him. I liked Clarke at United but unlike Matt Phillips; he has not quite gone on. Yeates is another that is a bit part player for an average League One side. It was odd seeing McMahon in central midfield. He is another that has probably back at his true level. He did not do much other than feign injury in the corner and then get a booking for a crude foul.

Overall City were poor but did deserve a point because we were as bad. I also felt that they were as bad as us in possession and looked as slow and sluggish and was one of few sides with as little pace as us! A side that gets good crowds and I would expect Parkinson to tweak things over the summer and for them to be there or thereabouts next season but probably like us need an injection of pace and some solidity at the back.

Howard 5.5/10 – His mark may seem low but he should have saved the goal. The rest of the game he did little in terms of saves, holding a Yeates shot but most went wide. His kicking was usual mixed bag as he seems to struggle often to even keep it in the field. For the goal it was a bobbly shot that lacked pace and he ought to have saved it. It seems every week he is making a mistake on a goal at the moment. Should have done better for goals at Yeovil, Oldham and versus Crewe. His standards are poor but sadly Turner is worse.

Brayford 7.5/10 – Thought he played well today. He looked much more like the Brayford of old. He got up and down and looked really sprightly after some leaden footed performances. Was involved in many of our better attacks and linked well with others when going forward. Attacked the ball and was positive in most things he did. Was fine at centre back when he went there but not helping that he keeps getting moved about due to our lack of players/quality at centre back.

Freeman 8/10 – He was our best player today and has been good since he came back. He showed some nice footwork, linked well with others and went forward. He was one of few that looked hungry and motivated. He looked fresher than many of others and one of few with pace and athleticism. He has been better than the wildly inconsistent Harris when he has played left back.

Kennedy 6.5/10 – Steady-ish but once lost his man that nearly led to a goal. He tried to move it forward when he could but he lacks ability in terms of passing, coming out of defence. Got injured (again) and seems unable to even last 90 minutes never mind two games in a row. Sadly not sure he will ever be able to stay fit so we can rely on him.

Basham 7.5 /10 – Thought Basham was decent and he attacked ball and restricted a dangerous attacker in Hanson much of the game. He was also able to show some attacking intent as he carried it forward. He has been one of our most consistent players this season but he has only been just above average and might be along with Murphy our player of the season. That sums up how poor we have been.

Doyle 6.5/10 – Mixed bag. He like many others gave it away a lot and was very inconsistent with his passing. He won a few loose balls and broke play up but it seemed him and Baxter were in the same position at times too (defensive midfielder). He picked up a deserved booking for a bad foul and then stupidly brought someone down in the second half. Won ball in lead up to goal but think he gave away free kick which led to leveller. He is steady but another who restricts mobility and pace of attacks due to lack of pace/athleticism.

Coutts 7/10 –.Thought he was really poor first half and gave it away 4 times in the first 10 minutes. He was quiet and not really a threat. Not sure he is a winger as when he gets it lacks pace/power to surge past someone. Hit first man a lot too when crossing. Second half he was massively improved and one of our better players. He got on the ball, used it well and was more positive. He barely gave it away and linked in the decent attacks we had. Finished up back in centre when Baxter went off. Need to see more of 2nd half player.

Baxter 6/10 – Not really that influential in terms of creating many clear chances or leading to attacks. A few decent cross field balls and he did get stuck in a few times today but a lot of passes were short or went astray. He did not seem to know where he was playing and got in Doyle’s way a few times. Still a player that should do more with some of his ability but his touch and passing is so mixed.

Murphy 6/10- Quiet for long spells today. He was doubled up again and also had to receive ball so deep; often in his own half and this meant it was impossible for him to be a threat. Second half he got on the ball more and swapped about more, wide right, left and central. He contributed to the goal but he did not do enough of this. Missed a good chance first half when he blazed over; which is unlike him as he normally is a really good finisher.

Holt 6/10 – He would get a lower mark if not for his goal. Like many of games he has played he seems to be non-existent for long spells and simply you do not notice him. However he has a real knack for being in right spot to knock in goals and that was the case again today. After this we again saw little of him. It is an odd one as he has scored some crucial goals and that is what football is about but in general play you barely notice him.

Davies 6.5/10 – Worked hard and tried to hold it up but spent much of game wrestling with centre backs and ball did not stick as much. Not given much service and was another having to go looking for the ball. Had a good chance from the throw in at the end but he dithered and fell.

Subs-

Alcock 6.5/10 – Did ok when he came on. A few moments of indecision; both which led to free kicks but he did not make any major mistakes. Tried to get forward a few times. Worrying that with so many injuries we may have to play him for crucial games.

Adams – Brought on to large cheers as they wanted a spark and he did get at the full back a few times and got to the line. He has some pace and trickery and for all clough the other week saying he is not ready for the first team regularly I fail to see how he can do any worse. He gives us something we have not got. I would like to see more of him instead of the safe, boring and negative options Clough normally goes with.

Manager rating –

Clough 5.5/10 – A poor performance again (yet another) in keeping with much of the season. It was slow, lethargic and once again lacking chances or goal threats. We also started slowly. This is happening every week and they had 2 good chances in the first 5 minutes. Played Kennedy again and he was not fit and had to go off again. So this led to another shift around. We have no shape, settled system or spine. It is making it impossible for relationships to form or continuity. If Done is fit he should be playing as he been mostly excellent when he has started – no idea why he is not starting (if he has a knock should not be on the bench). To be fair he did put Adams on to give us something different and also he maybe could not put Done for Davies due to height discrepancy but they scored off a set play knockdown anyway!

It is ridiculous that we are finishing season and he does not have one proper centre back in the squad but numerous full backs and midfielders. He had badly mismanaged this key position. To me the keeper and two centre backs being dependable and playing most of your games is vital to any successful team.

We seem to be finishing the season as a tired, disorganised bunch that looks incapable of doing more than scrape off win 1-0 here and there and are not good enough to beat some really poor sides in Yeovil, Oldham and Bradford. Somehow need to galvanise them to find something over a two legged game (if they get there) but not sure we have ‘it’? Clough’s body language suggests someone who does not know what to do to lift the side for a big push. He blames games and tiredness but is that not why they have this big squad and Bristol City and Preston have played nearly as many games. Apparently we should be happy barely limping into the playoffs according to him. For the most part the performances he has delivered have been poor and today was yet another.

Officials – Referee was a bit odd as at times he played on a lot and let much go with Hanson and Davies both ways looking for fouls but him choosing to ignore many of them. They maybe both went down too easily. He booked there man for a soft foul first half but then Doyle’s was a poor one and a deserved yellow. A few more cheap fouls he then started penalising. McMahon did commit a few and then finally was booked before McArdle got a second yellow for a block at the end. I thought both his cards were harsh but the second more warranted. A nothing sort of game though and I cannot recall too many bad decisions although Murphy may have got away with a handball in the box right at the end (I had walked down near that end and it was a little fortunate to escape but referee and linesman may have been on other side and not be able to see it).

Crowd – Bradford brought as many to the Lane as any side this season; maybe Barnsley only rivalled them. They always travel well. There was maybe 2,500-3,000 in the two tiers of the Bramall Lane end. They were very supportive despite some rotten recent results and sung quite loudly. They were right in some ways to mock United’s home support. Even for another poor performance for a crowd of 22,000 – it was very quiet. It seems the apathy on the field has spread to the terraces. Even when we scored it was quiet again soon after. Boos came from quite a few at the end. The frustration was as much about the season on the whole as today but it was not good to watch. Heard the two managers say it was entertaining but there was barely a shot on goal all game outside the game and it was a really poor level of skill/football I felt.

"It is ridiculous that we are finishing season and he does not have one proper centre back in the squad but numerous full backs and midfielders. He had badly mismanaged this key position. To me the keeper and two centre backs being dependable and playing most of your games is vital to any successful team."

Spot on.

"We seem to be finishing the season as a tired, disorganised bunch that looks incapable of doing more than scrape off win 1-0 here and there and are not good enough to beat some really poor sides in Yeovil, Oldham and Bradford. Somehow need to galvanise them to find something over a two legged game (if they get there) but not sure we have ‘it’? Clough’s body language suggests someone who does not know what to do to lift the side for a big push. He blames games and tiredness but is that not why they have this big squad and Bristol City and Preston have played nearly as many games. Apparently we should be happy barely limping into the playoffs according to him. For the most part the performances he has delivered have been poor and today was yet another."

Can't believe Clough has the cheek to put tiredness in as an excuse. When we were snowed under with cup games, he was making 8, 9, 10 changes from game to game, in recent weeks 4, 5, 6 changes, they've all had rests (probably bar Basham and Brayford), there is no way tiredness is a factor.

My one hope for the play-offs (if we get there) is that in games that they have had to be up for, they have shown up for it (if that makes sense!) - Bristol away, Barnsley away, Swindon, Preston at home in the league, and the cup games WHU, Saints, Spurs, QPR.

Spot on with that report, it was pretty much as I saw it as well. We are just too boring, no pace, no spark, no direction. There was absolutely nothing there today (goal aside) to get you on your feet. I bet the other sides in play off spots will be rubbing their hands at the prospect of playing us.

is done on the naughty step?
the worst thing you can do at the lane at the moment is become a fans favourite .. NC takes a perverse pleasure in leaving fans favourites out
thanks for the report Db.. missed nowt again then

We could have been 4 down before we even got going. Let's not put icing over a bad performance.

Whatever anyone thinks of McEverely, he needs putting back asap and put Basham back in midfield to replace Doyle, who is going from bad to worse. Time to stop fucking about Nigel, and find us a team for the play offs.

NC takes a perverse pleasure in leaving fans favourites out

Well, apart from that one that he pursued for a year off the back of a successful stint that saw him get cult status with the fans, paid a large amount of money for to bring in, then continued to play after that. And the winger that became a fans favourite who is rarely ever left out.

I don't agree with quite a lot of NC's selection choices, but I can at least see why he has chosen a lineup, and it's in no way done just to stick it to the fans.

Done has a groin injury ,could play in an emergency but needs an injection which would require 10 days recovery so its all about timing.
I though Hanson for them was brilliant ,won every header all day and at times was unplayable. Best target man Ive seen outside the premiership ,not just today but other times Ive seen him too.

Done has a groin injury ,could play in an emergency but needs an injection which would require 10 days recovery so its all about timing.
I though Hanson for them was brilliant ,won every header all day and at times was unplayable. Best target man Ive seen outside the premiership ,not just today but other times Ive seen him too.

Very true, and Basham is no mug in the air. I am just glad they only played one up top.

I too like Hanson and is a great target man at this level but many Bradford fans feel as he is so good in the air they become obsessed with finding him at times and become a bit predictable. He won most things today v our defence who realised they would be better off picking up scraps.

I must say Clough really lifted my spirits with his post match interview, when questioned on the displays was quick to mention the Barnsley/Scunny games, 2 games in how many this season?. Clough sounded like the manager of a side 2 games away from relegation never mind the play-offs. Continues to patronise and take back handed swipes at supporters. I sympathise re the injury situation but come on Nige, you'll have to do better at inspiring the supporters, God knows they need it at the moment.

Opposition keeper never made a meaningful save.

The opposition invariably finds space amongst our back four and between our lines, something we just cannot achieve at the other end.

Howard was playing for time all the second half, even when it was 1-1. How long it took him to decide he couldn't roll it out to a full back.

One substitution 10 minutes from time in a game we were never controlling was simply absurd. Murphy, Coutts, Holt and even Doyle were running on empty from early in the second half.

We had Done, McNulty, Adams, Scougall and Davies on the bench - all of whom could have helped gain the initiative. If Done has a groin strain he shouldn't be on the bench. It is permitted to make early substitutions and it is not against the rules to change the formation mid-game.

Coutts and Doyle together doesn't work. Holt lacks the confidence to be more direct and ambitious with the ball, indeed to ever pass it forward. Baxter worked hard but was inconsistent; it is hard to play a passing game when the team is full of statues with no movement to receive the ball.

Adams took on his man and ran into the penalty area soon after coming on - what a shock to our system that was on a day Murphy had never got going.

Mr. Clough - it is good practice to go on to win the game if you go 1-0 up, otherwise anything can happen and often does.

If we think Clough is negative in league games just watch the two legs of the Play-Off Semis.

I sense there will be empty spaces at our end at Wembley if we get there. This kind of football is purgatory to watch in Sheffield never mind in London with all that day involves.

I was disappointed when I saw the line up. Although they are decent players individually I think there's too little movement with a midfield of Coutts, Baxter and Doyle, not forgetting they played behind a target man as well. When so many are lacking pace and movement it is difficult to get the tempo up, find openings and create chances.

Good report, as ever db.

United – Not good enough. Again. I could just copy and paste most of the other reports from this season and I am tired of writing same thing.

Please don't just copy and paste future reports. At least change the name of the opposition! :D

I was disappointed when I saw the line up. Although they are decent players individually I think there's too little movement with a midfield of Coutts, Baxter and Doyle, not forgetting they played behind a target man as well. When so many are lacking pace and movement it is difficult to get the tempo up, find openings and create chances.

This ^^ the midfield had no energy and I am not sure if Clough was expecting to overlap Baxter and Brayford in the 1st half but it never happened. Coutts got himself into good positions but constantly passed the ball out of play in the 1st half. The midfield needs energy and probably will need to include Basham and Scougall. It maybe controversial but apart from his goals Holt really does offer nothing, and we can't afford passengers in a midfield with Doyle in it.

This ^^ the midfield had no energy and I am not sure if Clough was expecting to overlap Baxter and Brayford in the 1st half but it never happened. Coutts got himself into good positions but constantly passed the ball out of play in the 1st half. The midfield needs energy and probably will need to include Basham and Scougall. It maybe controversial but apart from his goals Holt really does offer nothing, and we can't afford passengers in a midfield with Doyle in it.

Holt needs his team mates to get us a foothold in games so we can actually utilize his running. Of our three decent attempts on goal, I think he had two of them.

Our squad is a puzzle at the moment. A lot of the players are good at what they do, but need the correct players alongside them to do it. The magic answer is probably Wallace being fit and firing again. He's our only genuine all-round midfielder with quality at both ends of the pitch.

Until that legendary prophesy is fulfilled, we'd do best with Basham, Coutts and Holt/Scougs as the midfield three.

Holt needs his team mates to get us a foothold in games so we can actually utilize his running. Of our three decent attempts on goal, I think he had two of them.

Our squad is a puzzle at the moment. A lot of the players are good at what they do, but need the correct players alongside them to do it. The magic answer is probably Wallace being fit and firing again. He's our only genuine all-round midfielder with quality at both ends of the pitch.

Until that legendary prophesy is fulfilled, we'd do best with Basham, Coutts and Holt/Scougs as the midfield three.

Couldn't agree more with all of that. I saw Wallace has been warming up with the first team. Maybe they are holding him back till the play offs.

Couldn't agree more with all of that. I saw Wallace has been warming up with the first team. Maybe they are holding him back till the play offs.

No. Clough said he (and Higdon) will not play again this season.

Deadbat, do you keep a tally of these scores over the season? It would be interesting to see how many of the players average over a 6, not to mention the overall score for Clough, in the league.

If the players are tired, then he should rest them until the play-offs. The chances of not getting to the play-offs are incredibly low and playing unfit and tired players is not getting us results anyway.

Throw some kids in, recall those out on loan, and just play those who are fresh or need games.

I must say Clough really lifted my spirits with his post match interview, when questioned on the displays was quick to mention the Barnsley/Scunny games, 2 games in how many this season?. Clough sounded like the manager of a side 2 games away from relegation never mind the play-offs. Continues to patronise and take back handed swipes at supporters. I sympathise re the injury situation but come on Nige, you'll have to do better at inspiring the supporters, God knows they need it at the moment.

Thats the problem .. The atmosphere , apathy and body language from the fans , management and players are like we are in a relegation battle . Its all feeling a bit like the season Adams was in charge , but the mitigating circumstances for that , is we buggered about with managers , and finished up relegated.

I just cannot see us doing anything in the last two matches , but we have to start with a clean sheet , and focus and think that the season down to business starts with the play offs .

Pre season unfortunately was the barometer and benchmark this season . However everything has to change after the Chesterfield match . We know it , the board will know it , and Clough has to know it and dig deep , like he keeps asking the players to do , but it seems up to press , they either don't listen or take any notice.

UTB

Thats the problem .. The atmosphere , apathy and body language from the fans , management and players are like we are in a relegation battle

As I sat and contemplated the situation last night (Mrs HB bans me from posting while "refreshed" after an unfortunate work-related email sent on a Friday evening to the wrong recipient...), it did occur to me that for weeks/months the fans, management and players have known that in all reality we would make the play-offs but not autos. So for a while it's been a bit of a phoney war, waiting for the real action to kick in. The concern being, that we will go up against teams with recent battle experience, while we been out on exercises.

Deadbat, do you keep a tally of these scores over the season? It would be interesting to see how many of the players average over a 6, not to mention the overall score for Clough, in the league.

If the players are tired, then he should rest them until the play-offs. The chances of not getting to the play-offs are incredibly low and playing unfit and tired players is not getting us results anyway.

Throw some kids in, recall those out on loan, and just play those who are fresh or need games.

I think an overall tally of the facility on here, where everyone can add their ratings for each match, will be equally interesting - particularly for Clough.

As I sat and contemplated the situation last night (Mrs HB bans me from posting while "refreshed" after an unfortunate work-related email sent on a Friday evening to the wrong recipient...), it did occur to me that for weeks/months the fans, management and players have known that in all reality we would make the play-offs but not autos. So for a while it's been a bit of a phoney war, waiting for the real action to kick in. The concern being, that we will go up against teams with recent battle experience, while we been out on exercises.

HB , very good point . Lets hope we don't go into battle like fighting the Germans , but being Dads Army .

We do look battle weary of doing too much training manoeuvres , which could as you say , be a issue when the real war commences in the play offs. Thing is , as major , Clough should have done something about it , to gee up the troops motivation / focus.

See what you mean though.

UTB

Gotta agree with pretty much the whole report there.

Were we seriously trying to time waste 1-1 at home? Absolute rubbish. We don't press their back 4 enough, and we try too many passes. We need to make them make a mistake, other teams do it to us. Che Adams was a bright spark when he came on, although I've been a critic of his not sure if he's ready for a start yet, good impact player though. Brayford was very positive at right back, but Davies was pretty non-existent today. Murphy needs to discover his form again, and Coutts is definitely not for us. 1 point will do it for us now, time to play the youngsters, see if any of them have the passion to represent us in the playoffs. Very disappointed, I'm not one to have a go at Cloughie, but there just seemed to be an air of negativity amongst the players today. Not good enough, much improvement needed for the playoffs. UTB

Not giving him credit for battling against two defenders to win the ball in the lead up to our goal??
Just been looking through the highlights and I may have been a bit harsh on him to be honest, it was his header that hot the post as well. I've been a big fan of his since he got here, he just didn't seem on the same level as he's been in recent weeks

At half time Kennedy was withdrawn, with seemingly another knee injury and Alcock came on meaning Brayford had to go to centre back.

I was confused by this at first, as Alcock had played centre back earlier in the season. And then rather than just going to right back (his position), he went left back. So rather than just a straight swap, we ended up with 3 players changing positions (Freeman, Alcock, Brayford). It didn't work out badly but it seemed a lot of faff, highlighting our lack of centre backs.

I was confused by this at first, as Alcock had played centre back earlier in the season. And then rather than just going to right back (his position), he went left back. So rather than just a straight swap, we ended up with 3 players changing positions (Freeman, Alcock, Brayford). It didn't work out badly but it seemed a lot of faff, highlighting our lack of centre backs.

Alcock would have got bullied by Hanson, just like with Wilbraham against Bristol in the first game of the season.

Smart move to put him at full back, not a smart move to be so cripplingly short of centre backs that we fielded a back 4 consisting of 3 rights backs and a central midfielder...

D'Bat, a very accurate summary.

I endorse almost every comment you made. We are flat at the moment (been so for weeks apart from one or two individual performances) and unless there's a change of fortune (and dare I say effort) we will struggle big style in the play offs.

Read somewhere in another thread on here that "no-one will want us in the play offs". I think fans who think that must be delusional or watching another team - who wouldn't want us?

ps. I'm not a Wendy:)

Baxter often tucked in to playmake from deep, rather than keep out wide. I think the point of this was to let Brayford (Freeman second half) provide width down the right and also allow Holt and Coutts to push forward more.

I think this shows how Clough aims to pick players he likes and then tries to tweak things to make the most of their good abilities, i.e. he really likes Baxter's playmaking from deep, but he's realised he doesn't cover enough ground to be a central midfield runner/ball winner, nor does Clough trust him enough to put him in Doyle's holding role. So he puts him wide, then instructs him to tuck in and don't get too advanced.

When we attacked this meant we often had two holding midfielders (Baxter and Doyle) no real right winger. Although we tried to compensate for this (attacking right backs, Holt and Coutts were allowed to go forward more), we didn't quite make it work and struggled to create openings.

Back
Top Bottom