United 0 Wigan 2 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Sorry for delay....went for a few beers and a curry last night after the game. Needed it after that rubbish. Here goes anyway...........

----

After a week that saw many Blades fans frustrated and disgruntled at the lack of transfer activity for a side seemingly a long way from automatic promotion; the home side once again disappointed in a defeat to Wigan Athletic. The game was a cagey affair for much of the first half with both sides only creating half chances but after the break the visitors upped the tempo and played considerably higher up the pitch. This improvement saw them win a penalty after a daft challenge from Chris Basham and Will Grigg converted. Loanee Connor McAleny then scored from the edge of the box after neat build up. After this the game was effectively over and Athletic could have made it even more comfortable as another stupid challenge gave them another penalty but this time Long was able to save.

By the final whistle many in the ground had left Bramall Lane; those that remained gave out loud and lusty boos to voice their disapproval. With none of the ‘owners/chairman’ in the ground and manager Adkins cutting a forlorn figure, the apathy around the club is clear. United are now almost certainly not going to get automatic promotion and even a playoff place seems unlikely with such poor form and the side slipping down to tenth in the table.

Despite the talk of some boycotting the game and the ill mood displayed on social media in the week; the Lane still had over 20,000+ inside it once again helped by a healthy Wigan following. In weather reminiscent of that witnessed when the two sides last met when David Unsworth consigned the Blades to relegation; the rain lashed down on a surprisingly excellent surface. Still whilst the new pitch has done its job; the collection of players who had failed to deliver much of the season were entrusted with the job of trying to get the vital three points.

Basham came back into the side and Adkins had Campbell Ryce, Done and Adams as attacking options off the bench. The game began scrappily and few real moments of quality. United had a half chance when Sharp shot wide after Baxter and Coutts had worked an opening. Baxter then tried a cheeky chip that drifted just wide. These two moments were the only real notes of activity for United as an attacking force but Wigan created little the other way.

Wildschut did have a good chance but spooned over before Power shot wide after good work from Grigg but the game lacked quality and was mired in midfield with the rain lashing down.

The second half saw Sammon replaced at the break by Adams with Baxter going inside playing off Sharp and the latter had a good shot saved by Jaaskelainen as United finally had a shot at goal. Wigan also had their first shot at goal when Wildschut got in after a nice break but his powerful shot was tipped over by Long.

Wigan were playing with more purpose now and getting men forward. Wildschut raced forward and got away from two United players before Basham brought him down as he entered the box. The penalty kick was rightly awarded and GRIGG hammered it down the middle to give Athletic the lead.

Not long after it was 2-0. This time a sloppy throw saw Wildschut and Power moved it on and MCALENY took a touch before drilling a low and hard shot past Long. It had been a quick fire double and a disastrous spell for the home side.

United looked a dispirited bunch but they did have a chance when McEveley got in from a neat move and shot just wide on the overlap. However it should have been 3-0 when McCann was tripped again going nowhere; this time from Coutts but Grigg’s kick to Long’s left was well saved by the keeper.

Campbell Ryce and Done came on and the Jamaican winger had two good runs to bring some life to a poor home side. Other than an Adams shot wide and a scrambled effort when Sharp could not convert the verdict was never in doubt and drifted out to its inevitable conclusion as boos rained down on the home side as they left the field.

United – It was really poor again. First half neither side impressed and it was mired in midfield much of the game. WE had a few half chances but nothing clear with none of the midfield trying to get into the box, Sharp trying his best but Sammon a spectator. We limited them to many chances at the back though and at least the defence looked more solid. You wanted them to step up second half and up the tempo and get more men forward. Well when we did come out – Wigan been out ages warming up and zipping around – we laboured onto the pitch and looked cold from the start. The reality was it was Wigan that did that and we sat back and they scored two goals. Stupid penalty given away and then from our own throw managed to lose a second with nobody closing down the scorer. After this they nearly had a few more and we looked a sorry, beaten bunch.

One of the poorest (maybe the poorest) United sides I have ever seen. That is for ability, effort, heart and attitude. The latter two qualities should be a given but this side generally cannot be arsed. They don’t care. They may say they do but the reality is watching players run away from ours and them sometimes not even chase back says it all. We barely looked like scoring all game and there was nobody in the side galvanising them and trying to get them together or surge forward. When the goals went in it took an age for the ball to be respotted and the body language was of a side that looked like they wanted to be on the beach in the summer. That sounds ridiculous when we are only 5 points off the play offs but I have zero faith this side can go on a run and somehow get in the playoffs and then go up. They look a mid table side and many as individuals are playing out their final few months as an SUFC player. It has been a long time coming for many who are in affect stealing a wage and have been for some time.

Defensively we were better today but still gave away two goals (should have been 3) but the other way we were slow, lethargic and took way too long to decide what to do. Hammond and Basham offer nothing to the side at all. They are two big lumps who are not physical but not skilful. They are nothing players. The two lads at the side are not wingers but Baxter and Coutts as much as they may play odd decent ball are liabilities defensively and in terms of work rate and it is hardly like they do much the other way either to compensate. Collins and McEveley were two of our better players. I am being serious. Brayford has sunk to low standards of rest of them. We have three attacking outlets on the bench in Campbell Ryce, Adams and Done who may not be great but at least 2 of them have to play. They cannot do any worse than those playing. Today whilst game was even you felt there was an inevitability they would get one and once they did; we imploded soon after.

We were 2-0 down and on several attacks we did not have more than Sharp in the box. Nobody even wanted to try and score a goal or have a shot. Cries of ‘Attack, attack, attack!’ did not change anything and even though subs came on, the game just drifted to a comfortable away win.

We are not going to go up and I don’t think we have any chance of the playoff places. I think in a few weeks we will see that and just have to make sure we don’t get sucked into the other end of things – even I cannot see that happening. After this point where we are stuck, we need to not play any of the players going to be released or the loan players and play the likes of Wallace, Adams, Done, Brayford, Sharp, Coutts – ones that will be here next season probably and give some of younger players a chance like Calvert Lewin, even Reed (don’t think he will make it but he is under contract so may aswell give him a run) and Wright. At least crowd might get behind them.

There has been a lot of talk over the inactivity in the window. This to me is not about this window but years and years of gross mismanagement of the club at boardroom level. If this was any other business, the CEO, chairman, whatever they are called would have been dismissed a long time ago. Dreadful managerial appointments season after season, selling best players season after season, terrible planning with no clear strategy, an appalling scouting network and complete inability to even complete a routine signing of a player. They have failed miserably. They could not have done much worse if they tried.

Adkins is not blameless (as so many of the last managers weren’t). His tactics, organisation, shape, fitness and the overall performances he is overseeing have been mostly unacceptable. Whilst I was one of those who advocated the removal of Clough and the hiring of Adkins; it has not worked. Another move that has failed. Easy to say in hindsight and most fans thought it was a good appointment but it is another one the board has got wrong. The side now and the state of the club is worse than it was when Clough was here. The performances are worse and I never thought I would say it but Adkins is worse than Clough on the evidence so far. I say so far, as of course I think most will probably say that Adkins will remain and given the summer too rebuild and hope he can make better signings than the ones he has so far. However, he is under pressure sadly and whilst it would be inconceivable to think we may change our manager again; the reality is if he got off to a poor start after given resources to bring new players in (we do not even know if that will happen) then he too will be gone.

Yes, he has been left a lot of crap and yes he has been let down badly if he was promised signings and none have come on – I for one don’t believe for one minute that we did not sign anyone as there was no one better out there to improve the team. Even Adkins seems to be saying this less now. I think he identified targets and they decided not to sign anyone. They shut up shop. This is after saying for months that the next window was key and we needed to do business. So they are not only incompetent but they are liars. Phipps may come on the radio and ‘man up’ but I would have more respect if he said less and took more action. None of them are ever here, there is no evidence of what we are doing to try and get out of this division and his words are just empty rubbish I am afraid. Even he sounded a beaten man the other night. I do think him and the rest of the Saudi lot will move on soon. Just a gut feeling. I have said it for a few months but I get a feeling end of season will see them pull out. Then McCabe will have no choice but to put the club up for sale and I fear things may get worse before they get better.

The biggest thing I took from the game was the complete apathy. It was another defeat, another limp performance and another boring afternoon. However what stood out to me most was in years past when we have reached a low point (we might be at one of lowest we ever have been considering what it means in terms of staying in the division for 5 years) there has been protests (red card/black card/car park, shoes etc), chants, committees set up (BIFA) and calls for arms. This time there was nothing. Many slinked out of the ground long before the end and you could not blame them. I stayed to the end and there were loud boos but never heard a negative chant or anything aimed at the board (key people were not there of course). It was complete and utter apathy. Even the fans don’t seem to care anymore – don’t mean that in a critical way. We all care but I think even as a fan base we are beaten in terms of what we can do. Not sure match boycotts are something I would ever think as a good think even though it drums up publicity and might make board sit up to some degree. The traditional car park killing grounds for manager and some boards does have some effect but not sure that would serve anything when none of them seem to bother coming – thought it was gutless that none showed up today and sums it up. So what do we do? What can wo do? That is something that will be debated on forums but as the season seems to be petering out to nothing then the club is perhaps at its lowest ebb in my lifetime. We as fans seem too have no alternative but to keep turning up and in short watching rubbish every week – although of course many at the end of the season may make a different choice.

Wigan – Perfect away performance. Restricted us to maybe one or two shots on target all game of note and were never really threatened much. Other than Sharp having a shot wide and one saved and the Baxter chip, they were comfortable. They did not threaten too much themselves other than one sliced chance first half and it was an even game but as an away side they would have been content.

Second half they came out and noticeable they played each compartment further up the pitch. They pressed us and turned the ball over quicker from United. After this they went forward with more pace and got midfielders in the box to support Grigg. They had a few darting runs that led to penalties and had far more penetration than us.

They were not marvellous and did not blow United away but got the two goals and that was it. They saw the game out at a canter and could have had more. They have a few good young players and seem to have bought some players from League One and Two that improve them. The likes of Colclough and Davies would walk into our team. Two steady centre backs in Morgan and Pearce and then a lot of mobile midfielders that get up and down and cover full backs and defence as well as support the attack. Think they will catch Burton and win the league. Many said that would not happen but I will be surprised if they do not go up at least. Frustrating as they were not marvellous but did not have to be any more than solid and just have the spell they had to win the game.

Opponent man of the match : A few stood out as good if not outstanding. Grigg showed Sammon how you can hold the ball up and work the channels, the new lad Morsy was busy and kept it simple but the loan lad Wildschut was the threat. He was in and around the penalty box and had a few good runs first half but then second half had a shot saved and won a penalty. He always looked a threat and one that looked to get on the ball and make things happen.

Opponent Weak link : Daniels. I felt the full back looks clumsy and someone we could get at but only did this later on in the game. Most of the Wigan players were steady enough really and it was a workmanlike away performance that saw them deserve the three points.

SUFC Player Ratings –

Long 7/10 – Fine really. He saved a penalty and also made another tipped save when it was 0-0 that was a really good stop. Outside of that he did not have much to do and had little chance on the two goals. To give him man of the match is a stretch but outside of maybe Sharp then you are struggling to name anyone that was even just average-decent for United.

Brayford 4/10 – One of his poorest games for the club. He had a bit of a shocker. Quite a few times he got beat or misplaced his passes and offered little going forward. The second goal came about after his poor throw and then his subsequent failure to pick up his man. He had a few other really sloppy defensive moments and looked slow and sluggish today. Seemed to have dropped to same poor play you see in League One and at the Lane most weeks which is sad.

I do feel he is a good player and had been playing high Championship with Cardiff and Derby at the very least so he clearly has talent but he seems to have really let his standards slip recently. On a lot of money and one that might have to be sacrificed in the summer. Despite today one of few you would hope we can build around in the summer.

McEveley 7/10 – He made a few slices and poor passes but again today he was not the worst player and hasn’t been for some time. Made tackles and clearances and felt he was alright. Cannot recall any really bad howlers and he was much better than the lauded Brayford on the other side.

At times gave his winger acres of space (not on the ball) and seemed unaware where he was. Fortunately they did not always get the ball. Had a good run and shot in the second half that went just wide.

He is one that I fear Adkins will give another year to in the summer. He is his captain and his recent improvements whilst good to see, also worry me. It would be a ridiculous decision to keep him again after we made such an error last summer. As soon as we are safe/or playoffs out of question, we should be playing Wallace and see what he can do for a spell.

Edgar 6.5/10 – Still not sure over him yet. I think he could be ok with better players around him. However he is quite slow and not sure he dominates like I would want my centre back to do. Today was a casing point; he was steady but the ball still spent too much time in the last third and considering they only had one up top I cannot recall many powerful headers thumped away or blocks/tackles. It was too easy for players to run in and behind.

At the moment gut feeling is we could and should do better in the summer and like Sammon and Hammond, is not a player I would be particularly pursuing with much vigour. We need two centre backs as a priority.

Collins 6.5/10 - A much maligned player and one that mercifully will leave the Lane finally in the summer. He is a really poor player and his random clearances that ended up all over the field but at a white and red shirt summed him up. Still for all the criticism, he actually was one of our more steady players. Did not make many huge errors and overall he at least kept plugging away and him and Edgar kept their shape and did not allow too many clear chances to the strikers. Still the fact he was just adequate and one of our better players today said it all.

Basham 5/10 – Mediocre at best. Noted on the official report he is dubbed fans favourite. Not sure why? I don’t dislike the guy and he gives his all but he is just not very good. At all. I would play him centre back (not convinced by him there either – we still shipped a lot of goals with him in this position) or not at all. He has a dreadful touch and often it comes off him. He is incapable of playing splitting passes, not quick enough to carry the ball and not sure he is even physical enough. The two lads for Wigan eventually realised how immobile and easy it was to run past the United midfield and second half they did this and got quite a few chances and won penalties and the goals. The way players just jogged through with no challenge until the stupid tackles summed it up.

A player who had another year on his contract but I would at best have him as a utility man off the bench but again with so many glaring holes all over the side; then he may remain a first team regular. Sure some will defend him and say he works hard and puts effort in; but I repeat what does this effort actually contribute; we still concede a lot of goals (so not protecting the defence) and he rarely contributes to goals the other way. Just a bit of a headless chicken sort for me and another one who is technically inept.

Hammond 4/10 – A poor signing and unnecessary waste of resources. We are trying to jettison players and contracts so why bring in another player that is just as bad!

He is dirty and cynical without being hard and effective. We are crying out for a proper hard man that can win the ball and intimidate and control the middle of the park. He is dirty but often it is because he is late and slow. He committed a series of bad fouls in the second half and got booked. He then gave another foul away and was close to being sent off. I watched him and Basham and struggle to recall many good things they did.

First half they were alright with a few passes sideways but most of the time they did not offer anything going forward and similarly barely protected us at the back as shown on the second when a midfielder ran through and scored. They nearly did it again a few times after. Be very angry if we sign him long term in the summer but I think we all know that Adkins will probably sign him if he is still the manager. Noone else above League One will sign him. Another player that’s legs seem to have gone and on the way down. We should not touch him with a bargepole and is exactly sort of player we need to avoid. Lads like Morsy were there for the taking but we chose not to bother. Today we saw who is better option both short and long term.

Coutts 4/10 – He is one of the decent footballers we have and again today showed glimpses of that but even he had an off day. He tried to get on the ball and one of few who also can control a ball and has a decent touch. His passing is ok and he does try and find a shirt but he often does not go very adventurous and his lack of pace was evident today in a few incidents, such as the one where he gave the daft penalty away for no reason. His overall performance today was very poor.

There was a moment in the second half where a player ran away from him and he just gave up and stood holding his waist. It was embarrassing. He quit. He is a player that has done well in recent times but even for al that he rarely scores, rarely sets goals up and rarely goes on runs where he carries the ball and leads to clear chances. He is neat and tidy sort of player with such slow, stationary players around him, not sure how effective he can be. Maybe with better players next season he could be still one that could be alright but I am not even sure of that. Can a side carry a player that basically is shattered after 60 minutes of every game (yes I know we are carrying 8 or 9 others!)

Baxter 6/10 – Sure he will get criticised a lot and some of it very deserved as he strolled around and gave a lacklustre display overall. He offers no work rate, leaves runners and takes little responsibility for the team. However, for all that some of our best bits of play came from him again first half with the lovely chip that nearly went in and also involved in the move to set up Sharp. The argument over where he should play is redundant for me.

He is lazy and frustrating wherever he plays but still does odd good thing wherever he plays. It is also nearly redundant as at the end of the season his contract is up and his ineffective play and attitude coupled with his off the field indiscretions will see him leaving and probably end up somewhere in League Two like Morecambe.

Sharp 6.5/10 – Thought he was once again one of the shining lights. He was not brilliant but there was effort and at least he looked a threat at times. Had one shot wide and was involved in some of our better attacks. Spent last part of game looking like he wanted a fight and stupidly got booked.

Sammon 2/10 – Abysmal. One of the worst centre forwards I have ever seen down at the Lane and that is saying something. I would put him in same category as Paul Williams, Craig Beattie, Lauren Ten Heuvel, Richard Cadette and sure a few more I have thankfully forgot. He cannot control the ball, he is slow, he is terrible in the air and is so weak for a big guy it is untrue. Earlier in the season he still had those limitations but might nick odd goal or actually put a lot of effort in.

Today the ball pinged off him, he strolled around and has no awareness of where to run or how to play the role of centre forward. It is like he has just woke up and found himself on a football pitch. Came off at half time. Did well to last that long. Might be seen as the scapegoat but I would argue what has he done to escape the ire of fans? Be on decent wages too.

If we cannot terminate the loan then in effect we are stuck with him. We cannot terminate his registration I guess so I would simply not play him. I would not even have him on the bench – I would rather the lads Calvert Lewin or Jake Wright be given a go.

Subs

Adams 6/10 – Did at least try and get on the ball but playing wide means he has to go looking for the ball rather than it coming to him in a more central position. He had a few runs but did not agree with Adkins in that he made that much of an impact. He tried to win a free kick with another dive and then got crowded out on a few other occasions. Had one shot that was saved. As with the case with the other subs I would be playing him as he offer more than many of those that are being given more game time. He is raw but does make things happen I feel. His own fault he lost his place due to the red card but he was excellent at the start of the season and needs games if he can get back to that form.

Done – Came on but the game was almost done by then. He tried to get into the game and ran around but did not offer much. Should have anticipated a good cross from the right from Sharp I think it was. A player that seems in and out due to injuries or Adkins ridiculous faith in Sammon. Once again with the squad we have he still needs to start. At least him and Sharp did get a few goals in that spell. They may be similar type players but who cares. Not sure long term Adkins fancies him long term – if he did surely he would be playing more.

Campbell Ryce – Did more in his spell on the pitch than probably else. He beat his man two or three times, and managed to put in a couple of decent-ish crosses. He is not the long term answer but at the moment it is ridiculous that he is not starting. He is one of the few players in the squad that can actually make things happen and get into the box and cause problems. His crossing can be poor at times and his end product very mixed but there is one occasionally. That is more than most others. Needs to start for me now.

Manager –

Adkins /10 – See above for more general thoughts on situation. His solid team selection and trying to get back to basics allegedly making us hard to beat, worked for a few games but we have won now 1 in 6 is it and we seem to be no closer to getting it right. He had tried to make it narrow and make us hard to beat but the likes of Coutts and Baxter are so slow, players just run by them. The two big lads in midfield are really poor to me. The defence still ships goals and as hard as Sharp tries, he has no help really.

He keeps saying the spirit and together is good but I saw a different side today as the team had heads down and nobody was communicating with each other. There was little resilience or heart he keeps describing. He says we are all giving it a good go but I cannot see that. We barely get any players forward and the play and tempo is so slow. We are so easy to play against.

He has been really poor this season and a major disappointment. We know the mistakes the board have made/are making but I really thought even they had to it right but sadly he seems to not be the same manager he was at Scunthorpe and Southampton and his spell at Reading maybe should have made us more wary.

His interviews post game are the same every week. He seems clueless and it also seems there may have been some fall out. His comment when asked about if the communication between owners/board and manager is good was to say ‘we need to get to that’; summed up that things are not quite right. It was a diplomatic answer but said enough to suggest there are problems behind the scene.

I thought that the board will keep him and he will be given time next season to get his own players in but I also have a slight feeling he might pack up at the end of the season. Does not strike me as a quitter but nothing that happens at this football club would surprise me.

Ref – Stephen Martin. Fine. Had a good game. He kept his book in his pocket most of the game. Hammond and Sharp’s were easy bookings and stupid. The two penalties were similarly easy calls but he got them right. Basham appealed it was outside the box but it was inside looking at the replay. Coutts was another daft trip. I cannot recall much else he got wrong. He let the game flow and was not picky like some refs are.

Crowd – Expected a more toxic atmosphere. Instead as noted above; it was just dead. No singing, no noise, nothing. Just a deflated set of fans who seem stunned by the further demise of the club. 20,000 in the Lane again was incredible and showed the level of support we continue to get. There were boos at the end but it was not the same damnation I have heard after other games in years gone (even this season). The performance was not awful but was poor and we were deservedly beat. I just thought there would be more in the way of anti board chants or something from the terraces but even the fans seem a beaten bunch. Sad.

Wigan brought a couple of thousand and they were noisy and got behind their team. They could not have imagined how easy it would be.

Sorry for delay....went for a few beers and a curry last night after the game. Needed it after that rubbish. Here goes anyway...........

----

After a week that saw many Blades fans frustrated and disgruntled at the lack of transfer activity for a side seemingly a long way from automatic promotion; the home side once again disappointed in a defeat to Wigan Athletic. The game was a cagey affair for much of the first half with both sides only creating half chances but after the break the visitors upped the tempo and played considerably higher up the pitch. This improvement saw them win a penalty after a daft challenge from Chris Basham and Will Grigg converted. Loanee Connor McAleny then scored from the edge of the box after neat build up. After this the game was effectively over and Athletic could have made it even more comfortable as another stupid challenge gave them another penalty but this time Long was able to save.

By the final whistle many in the ground had left Bramall Lane; those that remained gave out loud and lusty boos to voice their disapproval. With none of the ‘owners/chairman’ in the ground and manager Adkins cutting a forlorn figure, the apathy around the club is clear. United are now almost certainly not going to get automatic promotion and even a playoff place seems unlikely with such poor form and the side slipping down to tenth in the table.

Despite the talk of some boycotting the game and the ill mood displayed on social media in the week; the Lane still had over 20,000+ inside it once again helped by a healthy Wigan following. In weather reminiscent of that witnessed when the two sides last met when David Unsworth consigned the Blades to relegation; the rain lashed down on a surprisingly excellent surface. Still whilst the new pitch has done its job; the collection of players who had failed to deliver much of the season were entrusted with the job of trying to get the vital three points.

Basham came back into the side and Adkins had Campbell Ryce, Done and Adams as attacking options off the bench. The game began scrappily and few real moments of quality. United had a half chance when Sharp shot wide after Baxter and Coutts had worked an opening. Baxter then tried a cheeky chip that drifted just wide. These two moments were the only real notes of activity for United as an attacking force but Wigan created little the other way.

Wildschut did have a good chance but spooned over before Power shot wide after good work from Grigg but the game lacked quality and was mired in midfield with the rain lashing down.

The second half saw Sammon replaced at the break by Adams with Baxter going inside playing off Sharp and the latter had a good shot saved by Jaaskelainen as United finally had a shot at goal. Wigan also had their first shot at goal when Wildschut got in after a nice break but his powerful shot was tipped over by Long.

Wigan were playing with more purpose now and getting men forward. Wildschut raced forward and got away from two United players before Basham brought him down as he entered the box. The penalty kick was rightly awarded and GRIGG hammered it down the middle to give Athletic the lead.

Not long after it was 2-0. This time a sloppy throw saw Wildschut and Power moved it on and MCALENY took a touch before drilling a low and hard shot past Long. It had been a quick fire double and a disastrous spell for the home side.

United looked a dispirited bunch but they did have a chance when McEveley got in from a neat move and shot just wide on the overlap. However it should have been 3-0 when McCann was tripped again going nowhere; this time from Coutts but Grigg’s kick to Long’s left was well saved by the keeper.

Campbell Ryce and Done came on and the Jamaican winger had two good runs to bring some life to a poor home side. Other than an Adams shot wide and a scrambled effort when Sharp could not convert the verdict was never in doubt and drifted out to its inevitable conclusion as boos rained down on the home side as they left the field.

United – It was really poor again. First half neither side impressed and it was mired in midfield much of the game. WE had a few half chances but nothing clear with none of the midfield trying to get into the box, Sharp trying his best but Sammon a spectator. We limited them to many chances at the back though and at least the defence looked more solid. You wanted them to step up second half and up the tempo and get more men forward. Well when we did come out – Wigan been out ages warming up and zipping around – we laboured onto the pitch and looked cold from the start. The reality was it was Wigan that did that and we sat back and they scored two goals. Stupid penalty given away and then from our own throw managed to lose a second with nobody closing down the scorer. After this they nearly had a few more and we looked a sorry, beaten bunch.

One of the poorest (maybe the poorest) United sides I have ever seen. That is for ability, effort, heart and attitude. The latter two qualities should be a given but this side generally cannot be arsed. They don’t care. They may say they do but the reality is watching players run away from ours and them sometimes not even chase back says it all. We barely looked like scoring all game and there was nobody in the side galvanising them and trying to get them together or surge forward. When the goals went in it took an age for the ball to be respotted and the body language was of a side that looked like they wanted to be on the beach in the summer. That sounds ridiculous when we are only 5 points off the play offs but I have zero faith this side can go on a run and somehow get in the playoffs and then go up. They look a mid table side and many as individuals are playing out their final few months as an SUFC player. It has been a long time coming for many who are in affect stealing a wage and have been for some time.

Defensively we were better today but still gave away two goals (should have been 3) but the other way we were slow, lethargic and took way too long to decide what to do. Hammond and Basham offer nothing to the side at all. They are two big lumps who are not physical but not skilful. They are nothing players. The two lads at the side are not wingers but Baxter and Coutts as much as they may play odd decent ball are liabilities defensively and in terms of work rate and it is hardly like they do much the other way either to compensate. Collins and McEveley were two of our better players. I am being serious. Brayford has sunk to low standards of rest of them. We have three attacking outlets on the bench in Campbell Ryce, Adams and Done who may not be great but at least 2 of them have to play. They cannot do any worse than those playing. Today whilst game was even you felt there was an inevitability they would get one and once they did; we imploded soon after.

We were 2-0 down and on several attacks we did not have more than Sharp in the box. Nobody even wanted to try and score a goal or have a shot. Cries of ‘Attack, attack, attack!’ did not change anything and even though subs came on, the game just drifted to a comfortable away win.

We are not going to go up and I don’t think we have any chance of the playoff places. I think in a few weeks we will see that and just have to make sure we don’t get sucked into the other end of things – even I cannot see that happening. After this point where we are stuck, we need to not play any of the players going to be released or the loan players and play the likes of Wallace, Adams, Done, Brayford, Sharp, Coutts – ones that will be here next season probably and give some of younger players a chance like Calvert Lewin, even Reed (don’t think he will make it but he is under contract so may aswell give him a run) and Wright. At least crowd might get behind them.

There has been a lot of talk over the inactivity in the window. This to me is not about this window but years and years of gross mismanagement of the club at boardroom level. If this was any other business, the CEO, chairman, whatever they are called would have been dismissed a long time ago. Dreadful managerial appointments season after season, selling best players season after season, terrible planning with no clear strategy, an appalling scouting network and complete inability to even complete a routine signing of a player. They have failed miserably. They could not have done much worse if they tried.

Adkins is not blameless (as so many of the last managers weren’t). His tactics, organisation, shape, fitness and the overall performances he is overseeing have been mostly unacceptable. Whilst I was one of those who advocated the removal of Clough and the hiring of Adkins; it has not worked. Another move that has failed. Easy to say in hindsight and most fans thought it was a good appointment but it is another one the board has got wrong. The side now and the state of the club is worse than it was when Clough was here. The performances are worse and I never thought I would say it but Adkins is worse than Clough on the evidence so far. I say so far, as of course I think most will probably say that Adkins will remain and given the summer too rebuild and hope he can make better signings than the ones he has so far. However, he is under pressure sadly and whilst it would be inconceivable to think we may change our manager again; the reality is if he got off to a poor start after given resources to bring new players in (we do not even know if that will happen) then he too will be gone.

Yes, he has been left a lot of crap and yes he has been let down badly if he was promised signings and none have come on – I for one don’t believe for one minute that we did not sign anyone as there was no one better out there to improve the team. Even Adkins seems to be saying this less now. I think he identified targets and they decided not to sign anyone. They shut up shop. This is after saying for months that the next window was key and we needed to do business. So they are not only incompetent but they are liars. Phipps may come on the radio and ‘man up’ but I would have more respect if he said less and took more action. None of them are ever here, there is no evidence of what we are doing to try and get out of this division and his words are just empty rubbish I am afraid. Even he sounded a beaten man the other night. I do think him and the rest of the Saudi lot will move on soon. Just a gut feeling. I have said it for a few months but I get a feeling end of season will see them pull out. Then McCabe will have no choice but to put the club up for sale and I fear things may get worse before they get better.

The biggest thing I took from the game was the complete apathy. It was another defeat, another limp performance and another boring afternoon. However what stood out to me most was in years past when we have reached a low point (we might be at one of lowest we ever have been considering what it means in terms of staying in the division for 5 years) there has been protests (red card/black card/car park, shoes etc), chants, committees set up (BIFA) and calls for arms. This time there was nothing. Many slinked out of the ground long before the end and you could not blame them. I stayed to the end and there were loud boos but never heard a negative chant or anything aimed at the board (key people were not there of course). It was complete and utter apathy. Even the fans don’t seem to care anymore – don’t mean that in a critical way. We all care but I think even as a fan base we are beaten in terms of what we can do. Not sure match boycotts are something I would ever think as a good think even though it drums up publicity and might make board sit up to some degree. The traditional car park killing grounds for manager and some boards does have some effect but not sure that would serve anything when none of them seem to bother coming – thought it was gutless that none showed up today and sums it up. So what do we do? What can wo do? That is something that will be debated on forums but as the season seems to be petering out to nothing then the club is perhaps at its lowest ebb in my lifetime. We as fans seem too have no alternative but to keep turning up and in short watching rubbish every week – although of course many at the end of the season may make a different choice.

Wigan – Perfect away performance. Restricted us to maybe one or two shots on target all game of note and were never really threatened much. Other than Sharp having a shot wide and one saved and the Baxter chip, they were comfortable. They did not threaten too much themselves other than one sliced chance first half and it was an even game but as an away side they would have been content.

Second half they came out and noticeable they played each compartment further up the pitch. They pressed us and turned the ball over quicker from United. After this they went forward with more pace and got midfielders in the box to support Grigg. They had a few darting runs that led to penalties and had far more penetration than us.

They were not marvellous and did not blow United away but got the two goals and that was it. They saw the game out at a canter and could have had more. They have a few good young players and seem to have bought some players from League One and Two that improve them. The likes of Colclough and Davies would walk into our team. Two steady centre backs in Morgan and Pearce and then a lot of mobile midfielders that get up and down and cover full backs and defence as well as support the attack. Think they will catch Burton and win the league. Many said that would not happen but I will be surprised if they do not go up at least. Frustrating as they were not marvellous but did not have to be any more than solid and just have the spell they had to win the game.

Opponent man of the match : A few stood out as good if not outstanding. Grigg showed Sammon how you can hold the ball up and work the channels, the new lad Morsy was busy and kept it simple but the loan lad Wildschut was the threat. He was in and around the penalty box and had a few good runs first half but then second half had a shot saved and won a penalty. He always looked a threat and one that looked to get on the ball and make things happen.

Opponent Weak link : Daniels. I felt the full back looks clumsy and someone we could get at but only did this later on in the game. Most of the Wigan players were steady enough really and it was a workmanlike away performance that saw them deserve the three points.

SUFC Player Ratings –

Long 7/10 – Fine really. He saved a penalty and also made another tipped save when it was 0-0 that was a really good stop. Outside of that he did not have much to do and had little chance on the two goals. To give him man of the match is a stretch but outside of maybe Sharp then you are struggling to name anyone that was even just average-decent for United.

Brayford 4/10 – One of his poorest games for the club. He had a bit of a shocker. Quite a few times he got beat or misplaced his passes and offered little going forward. The second goal came about after his poor throw and then his subsequent failure to pick up his man. He had a few other really sloppy defensive moments and looked slow and sluggish today. Seemed to have dropped to same poor play you see in League One and at the Lane most weeks which is sad.

I do feel he is a good player and had been playing high Championship with Cardiff and Derby at the very least so he clearly has talent but he seems to have really let his standards slip recently. On a lot of money and one that might have to be sacrificed in the summer. Despite today one of few you would hope we can build around in the summer.

McEveley 7/10 – He made a few slices and poor passes but again today he was not the worst player and hasn’t been for some time. Made tackles and clearances and felt he was alright. Cannot recall any really bad howlers and he was much better than the lauded Brayford on the other side.

At times gave his winger acres of space (not on the ball) and seemed unaware where he was. Fortunately they did not always get the ball. Had a good run and shot in the second half that went just wide.

He is one that I fear Adkins will give another year to in the summer. He is his captain and his recent improvements whilst good to see, also worry me. It would be a ridiculous decision to keep him again after we made such an error last summer. As soon as we are safe/or playoffs out of question, we should be playing Wallace and see what he can do for a spell.

Edgar 6.5/10 – Still not sure over him yet. I think he could be ok with better players around him. However he is quite slow and not sure he dominates like I would want my centre back to do. Today was a casing point; he was steady but the ball still spent too much time in the last third and considering they only had one up top I cannot recall many powerful headers thumped away or blocks/tackles. It was too easy for players to run in and behind.

At the moment gut feeling is we could and should do better in the summer and like Sammon and Hammond, is not a player I would be particularly pursuing with much vigour. We need two centre backs as a priority.

Collins 6.5/10 - A much maligned player and one that mercifully will leave the Lane finally in the summer. He is a really poor player and his random clearances that ended up all over the field but at a white and red shirt summed him up. Still for all the criticism, he actually was one of our more steady players. Did not make many huge errors and overall he at least kept plugging away and him and Edgar kept their shape and did not allow too many clear chances to the strikers. Still the fact he was just adequate and one of our better players today said it all.

Basham 5/10 – Mediocre at best. Noted on the official report he is dubbed fans favourite. Not sure why? I don’t dislike the guy and he gives his all but he is just not very good. At all. I would play him centre back (not convinced by him there either – we still shipped a lot of goals with him in this position) or not at all. He has a dreadful touch and often it comes off him. He is incapable of playing splitting passes, not quick enough to carry the ball and not sure he is even physical enough. The two lads for Wigan eventually realised how immobile and easy it was to run past the United midfield and second half they did this and got quite a few chances and won penalties and the goals. The way players just jogged through with no challenge until the stupid tackles summed it up.

A player who had another year on his contract but I would at best have him as a utility man off the bench but again with so many glaring holes all over the side; then he may remain a first team regular. Sure some will defend him and say he works hard and puts effort in; but I repeat what does this effort actually contribute; we still concede a lot of goals (so not protecting the defence) and he rarely contributes to goals the other way. Just a bit of a headless chicken sort for me and another one who is technically inept.

Hammond 4/10 – A poor signing and unnecessary waste of resources. We are trying to jettison players and contracts so why bring in another player that is just as bad!

He is dirty and cynical without being hard and effective. We are crying out for a proper hard man that can win the ball and intimidate and control the middle of the park. He is dirty but often it is because he is late and slow. He committed a series of bad fouls in the second half and got booked. He then gave another foul away and was close to being sent off. I watched him and Basham and struggle to recall many good things they did.

First half they were alright with a few passes sideways but most of the time they did not offer anything going forward and similarly barely protected us at the back as shown on the second when a midfielder ran through and scored. They nearly did it again a few times after. Be very angry if we sign him long term in the summer but I think we all know that Adkins will probably sign him if he is still the manager. Noone else above League One will sign him. Another player that’s legs seem to have gone and on the way down. We should not touch him with a bargepole and is exactly sort of player we need to avoid. Lads like Morsy were there for the taking but we chose not to bother. Today we saw who is better option both short and long term.

Coutts 4/10 – He is one of the decent footballers we have and again today showed glimpses of that but even he had an off day. He tried to get on the ball and one of few who also can control a ball and has a decent touch. His passing is ok and he does try and find a shirt but he often does not go very adventurous and his lack of pace was evident today in a few incidents, such as the one where he gave the daft penalty away for no reason. His overall performance today was very poor.

There was a moment in the second half where a player ran away from him and he just gave up and stood holding his waist. It was embarrassing. He quit. He is a player that has done well in recent times but even for al that he rarely scores, rarely sets goals up and rarely goes on runs where he carries the ball and leads to clear chances. He is neat and tidy sort of player with such slow, stationary players around him, not sure how effective he can be. Maybe with better players next season he could be still one that could be alright but I am not even sure of that. Can a side carry a player that basically is shattered after 60 minutes of every game (yes I know we are carrying 8 or 9 others!)

Baxter 6/10 – Sure he will get criticised a lot and some of it very deserved as he strolled around and gave a lacklustre display overall. He offers no work rate, leaves runners and takes little responsibility for the team. However, for all that some of our best bits of play came from him again first half with the lovely chip that nearly went in and also involved in the move to set up Sharp. The argument over where he should play is redundant for me.

He is lazy and frustrating wherever he plays but still does odd good thing wherever he plays. It is also nearly redundant as at the end of the season his contract is up and his ineffective play and attitude coupled with his off the field indiscretions will see him leaving and probably end up somewhere in League Two like Morecambe.

Sharp 6.5/10 – Thought he was once again one of the shining lights. He was not brilliant but there was effort and at least he looked a threat at times. Had one shot wide and was involved in some of our better attacks. Spent last part of game looking like he wanted a fight and stupidly got booked.

Sammon 2/10 – Abysmal. One of the worst centre forwards I have ever seen down at the Lane and that is saying something. I would put him in same category as Paul Williams, Craig Beattie, Lauren Ten Heuvel, Richard Cadette and sure a few more I have thankfully forgot. He cannot control the ball, he is slow, he is terrible in the air and is so weak for a big guy it is untrue. Earlier in the season he still had those limitations but might nick odd goal or actually put a lot of effort in.

Today the ball pinged off him, he strolled around and has no awareness of where to run or how to play the role of centre forward. It is like he has just woke up and found himself on a football pitch. Came off at half time. Did well to last that long. Might be seen as the scapegoat but I would argue what has he done to escape the ire of fans? Be on decent wages too.

If we cannot terminate the loan then in effect we are stuck with him. We cannot terminate his registration I guess so I would simply not play him. I would not even have him on the bench – I would rather the lads Calvert Lewin or Jake Wright be given a go.

Subs

Adams 6/10 – Did at least try and get on the ball but playing wide means he has to go looking for the ball rather than it coming to him in a more central position. He had a few runs but did not agree with Adkins in that he made that much of an impact. He tried to win a free kick with another dive and then got crowded out on a few other occasions. Had one shot that was saved. As with the case with the other subs I would be playing him as he offer more than many of those that are being given more game time. He is raw but does make things happen I feel. His own fault he lost his place due to the red card but he was excellent at the start of the season and needs games if he can get back to that form.

Done – Came on but the game was almost done by then. He tried to get into the game and ran around but did not offer much. Should have anticipated a good cross from the right from Sharp I think it was. A player that seems in and out due to injuries or Adkins ridiculous faith in Sammon. Once again with the squad we have he still needs to start. At least him and Sharp did get a few goals in that spell. They may be similar type players but who cares. Not sure long term Adkins fancies him long term – if he did surely he would be playing more.

Campbell Ryce – Did more in his spell on the pitch than probably else. He beat his man two or three times, and managed to put in a couple of decent-ish crosses. He is not the long term answer but at the moment it is ridiculous that he is not starting. He is one of the few players in the squad that can actually make things happen and get into the box and cause problems. His crossing can be poor at times and his end product very mixed but there is one occasionally. That is more than most others. Needs to start for me now.

Manager –

Adkins /10 – See above for more general thoughts on situation. His solid team selection and trying to get back to basics allegedly making us hard to beat, worked for a few games but we have won now 1 in 6 is it and we seem to be no closer to getting it right. He had tried to make it narrow and make us hard to beat but the likes of Coutts and Baxter are so slow, players just run by them. The two big lads in midfield are really poor to me. The defence still ships goals and as hard as Sharp tries, he has no help really.

He keeps saying the spirit and together is good but I saw a different side today as the team had heads down and nobody was communicating with each other. There was little resilience or heart he keeps describing. He says we are all giving it a good go but I cannot see that. We barely get any players forward and the play and tempo is so slow. We are so easy to play against.

He has been really poor this season and a major disappointment. We know the mistakes the board have made/are making but I really thought even they had to it right but sadly he seems to not be the same manager he was at Scunthorpe and Southampton and his spell at Reading maybe should have made us more wary.

His interviews post game are the same every week. He seems clueless and it also seems there may have been some fall out. His comment when asked about if the communication between owners/board and manager is good was to say ‘we need to get to that’; summed up that things are not quite right. It was a diplomatic answer but said enough to suggest there are problems behind the scene.

I thought that the board will keep him and he will be given time next season to get his own players in but I also have a slight feeling he might pack up at the end of the season. Does not strike me as a quitter but nothing that happens at this football club would surprise me.

Ref – Stephen Martin. Fine. Had a good game. He kept his book in his pocket most of the game. Hammond and Sharp’s were easy bookings and stupid. The two penalties were similarly easy calls but he got them right. Basham appealed it was outside the box but it was inside looking at the replay. Coutts was another daft trip. I cannot recall much else he got wrong. He let the game flow and was not picky like some refs are.

Crowd – Expected a more toxic atmosphere. Instead as noted above; it was just dead. No singing, no noise, nothing. Just a deflated set of fans who seem stunned by the further demise of the club. 20,000 in the Lane again was incredible and showed the level of support we continue to get. There were boos at the end but it was not the same damnation I have heard after other games in years gone (even this season). The performance was not awful but was poor and we were deservedly beat. I just thought there would be more in the way of anti board chants or something from the terraces but even the fans seem a beaten bunch. Sad.

Wigan brought a couple of thousand and they were noisy and got behind their team. They could not have imagined how easy it would be.

But other than that, you had a cracking day right? :)

Must have been some curry to come up with that!
Cheers Deadbat

Adkins rating missed 4/10

"Hammond 4/10 – A poor signing and unnecessary waste of resources. We are trying to jettison players and contracts so why bring in another player that is just as bad!"

There's our problem.
Our talisman, our big target, the player our manager chased and chased!
It's unfair pressure really but if we are clearing out the crap, the few we bring in MUST perform better than 4/10.

Very good and fair assement of players and manager good assement of crowd cant disagree looking forward to next game and seeing what n/a next move to improve things is if any

Agree with almost all of your report. Regarding McEveley, he has been our best defender for a couple of months and I wouldn't mind him staying for another year, even if used as a utility player.

Spot on DB, apart from Adkins marks, where I'd mark him lower. He seems to have very little tactical nous. The game was crying out for width from an early stage, yet he perseveres with the atrocious Coutts, and then reverts to the ridiculous 'diamond'. JCR should have been brought on at half time.
I've not previously been over critical of Adkins in the past, but fear he has lost the plot.

"Hammond 4/10 – A poor signing and unnecessary waste of resources. We are trying to jettison players and contracts so why bring in another player that is just as bad!"

There's our problem.
Our talisman, our big target, the player our manager chased and chased!
It's unfair pressure really but if we are clearing out the crap, the few we bring in MUST perform better than 4/10.

Well at least we'll be able to see the alternatives soon, what's that now, eight bookings in all competitions without being banned yet?

I see Sharp gets off lightly in the report. Other than that, spot on.
Ref let us restart at1 0 down with a Wigan player 10 yards inside our half. Dipstick.

Pretty much as I saw the game as well Deadbat. I came on here yesterday to rant, and I actually gave McEveley man of the match. I am still of the same opinion. He had a decent game, but it wasn't hard to stand out yesterday, with such a slow, weak midfield in front of him.

The play offs will be a miracle, if we make it. The only thing that could get us there are two or three YOUNG loan players, from top clubs. Lads who actually want to come here and rip up trees, score goals, win games, to show the parent club they are worth keeping hold of.

Sammon - I am convinced that the Sammon deal was done by Clough when he did the retained list. A Derby lad who lives in Sheffield and drinks in one of my local pubs said as soon as Clough came on board, "you wait and see, two lads destined to join your club at some point, Connor Sammon and Jake Buxton. Buxton is a Chris Morgan type, loyal to Clough and would be good in League One, Sammon.....you will soon be cursing his name!".

iWe cannot terminate his registration I guess so I would simply not play him. I would not even have him on the bench – I would rather the lads Calvert Lewin or Jake Wright be given a go.

Agree, it's not working for Sammon and others. Can't be any worse playing the kids, at least they will be hungry for it

We are staring into the abyss.

I sense that Adkins will turn to his younger players now in readiness for next season. We might even flirt with relegation.

Come next summer we cull the squad but the budget for replacements will be low. This last week Adkins talked of 50pc academy players in the first team squad, to me that spells out 'austerity'.

My guess is that the new half owner is pissed off and wants progress before any more serious investment. KM has been clear for a while he has lost enough cash.

Yesterday was a sobering experience for anybody who had hopes of a strong end to the season.

Clapper or slasher, we are stuck in a deep hole. Adkins has worsened our performances from an extremely low base under Clough. His signings have been poor and his tactics and team selections have been naive with the players at his disposal. At least Clough knew we were crap and adapted accordngly. In effect Clough and Adkins have wasted a fair wedge of cash and there is little to show for it.

In amongst all that, Reed, Adams, Wallace and McNulty have not been developed as they should have been. Done has been wasted. The second stage of the season has seen us fail with older and more limited players. The midfield of Coutts, Basham, Hammond, Woolford we saw for a while was painful. To then play Baxter out wide with in an attempt to add creativity is just silly.

We have no pace, no mobility, no creativity and we can't defend even when we play a supposed 'tight' and 'solid' midfield. Why? Because we've no energy either. Our midfielders need oxygen if they stray into the final third of the field and in truth they can't get back properly either.

I wouldn't know where to start next summer and I don't think Adkins does either. He'll have to gel at least 13 new or rookie players.

We will not be pre-season favourites for promotion next season, despite being a ' big ' club.We are in a big hole.

I quote my own post to add to Deadbat' s similar views about Adkins likely way forward. Since I got that out of my system I've been thinking of ways to get the most out of the current squad.

I've always been a big advocate of 3-5-2 and I think we need such a big shift in tactics to herald another new start. The system suits our squad too.

We have three natural wing backs - Brayford, Woolford and Wallace. If we had kept Freeman it would have been 4.

Including Basham we have capable defenders to play the three at the back ( please take Bash out of midfield come what may). 3 at the back simplifies the defenders role, he stays put apart from corners and free kicks.

In the three central midfield positions I'd play Reed and Coutts or Hammond. with Baxter or Scougall that bit more forward. Without a run in the team in that position those two are history frankly and yet they have that something different in their skill set and we should be able to use it.

Sharp and Done up front.

There is an expectation we sill sign one or two loan players and boy do we need pace in the team. However I am against signing any player who is unlikely to stay with us for next season because I think the opportunities should be kept open for our young players mentioned above. I'd add Calvert- Lewin to that list too.

Heroes look into the abyss and earn legend status. Adkins needs to make immediate big changes and 3-5-2 is one option. Whatever he does I hope we never see a midfield with more than one out of Coutts, Hammond and Basham. We need mobility and creativity and players who are fit and willing to create assists and even shoot at goal in the final third of the pitch, not just function in their own comfort zone.

5 in midfield can be used both attacking and defending. 3 at the back would be more solid than 4 when our full backs are such poor defenders!

Whatever Adkins does it has to lay a platform for next season. If it works well it might be a platform for the play-offs. Whatever he does it has to be a big statement of intent and change.

Agree with almost all of your report. Regarding McEveley, he has been our best defender for a couple of months and I wouldn't mind him staying for another year, even if used as a utility player.
The fact that he is still giving everything, rather than hiding in games says a lot about his character - there is a reason he was given the armband

I quote my own post to add to Deadbat' s similar views about Adkins likely way forward. Since I got that out of my system I've been thinking of ways to get the most out of the current squad.

I've always been a big advocate of 3-5-2 and I think we need such a big shift in tactics to herald another new start. The system suits our squad too.

We have three natural wing backs - Brayford, Woolford and Wallace. If we had kept Freeman it would have been 4.

Including Basham we have capable defenders to play the three at the back ( please take Bash out of midfield come what may). 3 at the back simplifies the defenders role, he stays put apart from corners and free kicks.

In the three central midfield positions I'd play Reed and Coutts or Hammond. with Baxter or Scougall that bit more forward. Without a run in the team in that position those two are history frankly and yet they have that something different in their skill set and we should be able to use it.

Sharp and Done up front.

There is an expectation we sill sign one or two loan players and boy do we need pace in the team. However I am against signing any player who is unlikely to stay with us for next season because I think the opportunities should be kept open for our young players mentioned above. I'd add Calvert- Lewin to that list too.

Heroes look into the abyss and earn legend status. Adkins needs to make immediate big changes and 3-5-2 is one option. Whatever he does I hope we never see a midfield with more than one out of Coutts, Hammond and Basham. We need mobility and creativity and players who are fit and willing to create assists and even shoot at goal in the final third of the pitch, not just function in their own comfort zone.

5 in midfield can be used both attacking and defending. 3 at the back would be more solid than 4 when our full backs are such poor defenders!

Whatever Adkins does it has to lay a platform for next season. If it works well it might be a platform for the play-offs. Whatever he does it has to be a big statement of intent and change.

Three at the back?
We play with 8 there most games as is!

So deep....

The fact that he is still giving everything, rather than hiding in games says a lot about his character - there is a reason he was given the armband

Since that ridiculous challenge against Coventry he has played consistently well and I would say easily the best player for the last 2 months (not hard)

I would still release him at the end of the season though

A truly memorable (and appreciated) summation of Saturday's non-event. Well done, Deadbat.

With none of the ‘owners/chairman’ in the ground...
Like the players, the 'owners/chairman' couldn't be arsed to turn up. I noticed some 'activity' around the director's box - stewards with 'Supporters Liason Officer' on their hi-viz jackets, worried looks being cast towards the box from the normal stewards and stewards lining up at the front of the kop near the end. If they'd received info. that some mass demonstration would result from yet another - inevitable - defeat they were wasting their time. All passion has been drained from our fans.

One of the poorest (maybe the poorest) United sides I have ever seen. That is for ability, effort, heart and attitude. The latter two qualities should be a given but this side generally cannot be arsed. They don’t care. They may say they do but the reality is watching players run away from ours and them sometimes not even chase back says it all.

You're right. We've had more than our fair share of useless individuals, but this team takes the biscuit. That JCR, in a few minutes, could show enthusiasm when the rest can't be bothered shows how low we've sunk and how unbelievably poor most of this team are.

Again, correct. The serial failures that the 'board' have saddled us with post-Warnock have set us back years. However, the damage done by these incumbents individually can be eventually put right. This malaise has been going on for over eight years now, and I seriously doubt that we'll ever turn things round. McCabe will not be going anywhere soon. He'll never get an offer that he deems 'acceptable' so he views Bramall Lane, Shirecliffe, wherever (one day, we might discover exactly who owns what at United) as his 'land bank' - a place to eventually throw up a few thousand more student flats for the Chinese (a bubble that will inevitably burst) or to hand down to his son.

However what stood out to me most was in years past when we have reached a low point (we might be at one of lowest we ever have been considering what it means in terms of staying in the division for 5 years) there has been protests (red card/black card/car park, shoes etc), chants, committees set up (BIFA) and calls for arms. This time there was nothing.

Be in no doubt, we are at our lowest ever point. Sure, we had one season in the Fourth Division but bounced back and eventually climbed all the way back to the top. We are currently becalmed at this level and it could be years before we start progressing upwards. When Wigan fans start taking the piss about lack of chanting from the kop, you know you've reached rock-bottom.

Apart from wondering where you got the '2' from, I agree. This guy has nothing. He doesn't use his physique, has no anticipation and his first touch is laughable. Darius Henderson without the (occasional) goals.

Adkins rating missed 4/10

I though your first rating (/10) was about right. Where did he merit a '4'?

Worrying times ahead, especially if our neighbours get promoted (and anybody who claims to be 'not bothered' may as well stick their fingers in their ears and go 'La-la-la!')

Finally a snippet in today's paper. After selling Conor Washingto, Peterborough appeared to have unearthed another gem - Tom Nichols from Exeter. What the fuck do our scouts do?

Last edited:
You are right Sammon really was prob more a 1/10 and Adkins maybe a 2 or 3. I was feeling generous.

The lad Nicholls was there to be had. There are lots of young talent in League 1/2 that could be had relatively cheaply with low risk. Maybe some work, some dont but you are telling me we cannot snaffle up 5 or 6 of these and we have an injection of fresh hungry talent that crowd will get behind? Worrying. What do our scouts do?

Really excellent report DB - I don't think you missed anything there. I don't know how you can summon the effort and time to write it after having witnessed it, must have been like chinese water torture!

There have been a few comments around about our formation, players and tactics and I can't help feeling it's been like spinning plates this season. We started the season with a new expansive approach, got murdered at Gillingham, then won 4 games with it until we came off the rails. After the Shrewsbury debacle, it was realised that the back four needed extra protection and by going narrow, we'd be difficult to beat. It worked well v Coventry and really well v Bradford but now we're struggling again because we've got no outlet, no pace and no width. Many a time on Saturday I saw the ball come out to the full backs or when Baxter got it in the middle and there was nowhere to go but knock it hopefully over the top, back inside or down the channels. Billy's not going to win the ball in the air and despite his physique, Sammon must be one of the worst headers of the ball I've seen and we were just going nowhere.

The problems are all over the pitch, the defenders are not good enough so we have extra midfielders to protect them, those midfielders are not good enough so we need more of the same on the left and right to keep us solid, because of that we play with no wingers, with no wingers we can't find space out wide, we're not getting the ball forward in the right areas, we're not getting many quality crosses in, we're not getting many chances and therefore we can't score, when you don't score, it puts pressure on the defenders......

There's a hole in my football team, dear Nigel, dear Nigel..............

The game on Saturday was the first game that I have been able to attend since Christmas. I thought that it was like men against boys to be brutally honest.

Wigan didn't appear to need to get out of second gear for me. Each of their midfielders wanted the ball, was looking to make something happen in possession, whilst ours seemed to be uncertain what to do, and happy to play hot potato if they did receive it.

I actually thought that the back four (2 mistakes from Brayford aside) were pretty solid. Collins and Edgar seemed to deal with everything in the air, and we were caught out for two goals that I wouldn't place the blame on them necessarily.

We seem to defend deep to counter-act a lack of pace at CH. The defence looked shaky when the gap appeared between the defence and midfield, the latter of whom who I thought lost the battle conclusively. They seemed to start well, then individual errors drawn out by Wigan's patient play crept in, as did some lazy positioning by our MFs. Once Wigan were past our midfield, they were direct and bombed forward, leaving our defence exposed and stuck between a rock and a hard place - should they stand off the runners (risking the player on the ball swiftly advancing into dangerous territory) or step out to the player on the ball (risking a ball in behind or a foot race which they would seem certain to lose).

I thought Hammond was very poor, and I think Basham is a decent CH, but he is not a MF for me. Coutts was poor, his touch was shocking and he seemed to get caught on the ball far too often. I was unsure where Baxter was meant to be positionally, wide or in the middle, but he was very ineffective offensively for me, and almost non-existent defensively.

Sammon was poor, enough said. I think he should offer more, and has done in glimpses, but he was a complete passenger on Saturday. It got to the stage where Sharp rather than Sammon was going for flick-ones rather than vice versa, which seems perverse.

I got the impression from the match, contrary to what I expected before attending the game, that our problems lie in midfield and up front rather than at the back. I think the defence is solid enough for this level if, and this is what appears to be lacking, the midfield are disciplined enough to keep their shape, and energetic enough to provide cover up and down the pitch.

The number of times that our defenders had to go backwards due to the lack of movement in front of them was very noticeable. This was an issue throughout the 90 mins.

Next season it will be a chance to fuck off all the shit that currently steal a wage from Sheffield United.

Sammon will back where he belongs in the League of Ireland
The FSD will be in the conference at Tranmere
Collo will be back in Scotland with someone like Dumbarton

You are right Sammon really was prob more a 1/10 and Adkins maybe a 2 or 3. I was feeling generous.

The lad Nicholls was there to be had. There are lots of young talent in League 1/2 that could be had relatively cheaply with low risk. Maybe some work, some dont but you are telling me we cannot snaffle up 5 or 6 of these and we have an injection of fresh hungry talent that crowd will get behind? Worrying. What do our scouts do?
What scouts? We've brought Turnbull in this season, before that we had the paper boy. In between Dearden and Clough News we had fucking no one.

As a club, we (and I say 'we' out of habit, I mean those who run the club) seem to have little regard for scouting and just hope that whatever manager is at the helm will sort it out for us.

I've just read that Arsenal have nicked Ben Wrigglesworth from Leicester. Who the fuck's he, you may ask. He's Head of Technical Recruitment, or, in old money, chief scout. Why? Because he can find players like Mahrez and Kante and proper clubs understand how valuable that is.

Next season it will be a chance to fuck off all the shit that currently steal a wage from Sheffield United.

Sammon will back where he belongs in the League of Ireland
The FSD will be in the conference at Tranmere
Collo will be back in Scotland with someone like Dumbarton

Sammon is not good enough to sit next to me and just watch the game !

What scouts? We've brought Turnbull in this season, before that we had the paper boy. In between Dearden and Clough News we had fucking no one.

As a club, we (and I say 'we' out of habit, I mean those who run the club) seem to have little regard for scouting and just hope that whatever manager is at the helm will sort it out for us.

I've just read that Arsenal have nicked Ben Wrigglesworth from Leicester. Who the fuck's he, you may ask. He's Head of Technical Recruitment, or, in old money, chief scout. Why? Because he can find players like Mahrez and Kante and proper clubs understand how valuable that is.
mahrez cost 400 grand
not that mccabe would have paid it

If there was ever a time to give a player 0 out of 10 then Sammon, out of the goodness of his heart made that possible on Saturday, he was truly awful and that's being kind to him.

Back
Top Bottom