Under 21s Steel City Derby

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

S64 Blade

Reaction score
Anyone else going along to the game tomorrow against the pigs?

I've never been to watch the reserves (or whatever you want to call them nowadays), but thought that this would be a good opportunity with it being on the Bank Holiday.

Does anybody know if you can purchase tickets on the day? I suspect so.

Anyone else going along to the game tomorrow against the pigs?

I've never been to watch the reserves (or whatever you want to call them nowadays), but thought that this would be a good opportunity with it being on the Bank Holiday.

Does anybody know if you can purchase tickets on the day? I suspect so.

Yeah, buy on the day for 3 quid or free for season ticket holders.

I've never been up to watch training or a game, what time is the kickoff?
I think if a few more people knew about it they'd be a lot of Blades interested.

One stand open, no segregation....should be interesting!

Usually the height of excitement is someone brings an a4 sheet of paper with insults on, or silently scrawls something on the back of a toilet door.

One of the previous times, Stevie May turned up in fancy dress but couldn't decide whether to go as a homeless fellow or a gangster rapper.

Usually the height of excitement is someone brings an a4 sheet of paper with insults on, or silently scrawls something on the back of a toilet door.

One of the previous times, Stevie May turned up in fancy dress but couldn't decide whether to go as a homeless fellow or a gangster rapper.

I'm itching to get a "What's it like to see a crowd?" chant going tomorrow :)

A few points from the game today.

I thought Whiteman (RB) and Banton (CB) at the back were solid and looked the most likely to push on to the first team. The left back (Kelly?) was the weakest link I thought, though he got better as the game progressed.

In midfield Dimaio showed his quality and made some intelligent passes forward and a good touch. He does not seem the type to just accept passing sideways. McDonagh took his goal well and along with Coustrain, looked a general threat on the wings. I thought both, in typical winger fashion, were inconsistent with their distribution. Cockerline, who came on, also looked promising.

The front two of De Girolamo and Wright played well together and probably both deserved a goal. I actually thought Wright was the better of the two overall, but you can see the flair that Diego has, but I get the feeling he is a luxury player.

Overall, a very good display where United were incredibly unlucky not to win. Wednesdays offered no real threat at all and scored against the run of play from a corner. Without wanting to sound too biased, it was easy to see why we produce so many players from the academy in comparison to Wednesdays.

Popped down to the Lane this afternoon to have a look at the u21's play our city neighbours.

Firstly grumble at the club and the organisation again. There should not be queues of around 4-500 people for a reserve game just to get a ticket to actually get in; when most of those in the queue were not even paying - you needed a ticket even though it was free with season tickets. The website says entry was free upon production of season ticket and even the ticket office confirmed this when I went to get one for my lad. I got to the turnstyle and was told season tickets were not able to be used as they were not activated (once point of such a system if they can turn them on and off). So I then had to go back to queue. Fortunately it was only 12.30pm. By the time I got in around 12.50pm there were queing right to the club shop. I got in the stand and it was only around two or three hundred in so most were outside. Not many are going to turn up early for a game such as this. It was ridiculous. Surely they could have just left those in through a gate upon production of your season card - they used to do this. Or they could have communicated this to the ticket office.

I am sure saw the queue as was the case for the Newcastle game and just thought sod it and went home again. The club really does need to sort out basic things. I have had less hassle getting in games of 50,000 people in Italy than a reserve game and the organisation was better at my lads infant school disco.

Rant over...onto the game,

The game finished 1-1 in front of 840 including a few from over the city.

United should have won at a canter. They had most of the ball, looked quicker, sharper and more incisive and had far more chances. Weds had a decent start with one long ranger over but United gradually got stronger and moved the ball quicker using the tricky forwards to create space. The home side had a few shots deflected over and a few poor choices with the final ball. Diego was involved a lot but Coustrain and also McDonagh looked the stand outs in the wide positions. Still a few half chances aside nothing clear saw it 0-0 at half time.

Second half continued with United the better side and Whiteman hit the bar before Diego had a shot saved. It was all United really but poor final ball and decisions in last third meant they could not take the lead.

Weds barely had a chance until they scored; a neat header from a well drilled corner on the hour mark - to be fair they missed a sitter after this that could have made it 2-0 but then United got level when a lovely ball (not sure who played it) but in United's stand out player McDonaugh who scored neatly with just over 10 minutes left. After this United had a number of chances but Diego missed a sitter and a few others just went awry.

United ought to have won especially we had a lot more senior players in terms of age and also experience at higher level - u21 and some first team in Dimaio, De Girolamo and Whiteman -all have played at some point. Wednesday had in essence a team of kids completely with a few of the older age but quite a few I recognised from the academy game where as united only played Eastwood, Gordon from that game So they will have been delighted to get something from a game and they defended well for the most part. United did well up to the last third. The defence was solid and the midfield kept it well but they lacked ideas from all the players when in that key area and took too long to make decisions.

Wednesday - They had the lad Wildsmith in goal that people have been saying should play instead of Price - with Westwood injured. He did ok and made a few smart saves. The goalscorer was the lad Meadows and the captain looked and ran like Harry Maguire (a well built centre back delightfully named Will De Haviland!) The lad Penny on the wing looked tricky but they struggled to keep the ball much of the game. David Hirst's son, George played up front as he had at the academy looked really raw and struggled all game against Banton and Evans. He did little right all game. Maybe I have seen him have 2 poor games but he looks a long way off being anywhere near to me.

United

Jake Eastwood - Solid under little pressure. Looked better today than he did at the Academy game a few weeks ago but was largely untroubled and had little chance on the goal.

Whiteman - Played right back which is not his position - midfielder isn't he. Did ok and also hit the bar after a good one-two.

Kelly - Graham Kelly! He also did ok. Decent left peg and got up and down well.

Banton - Dominated the young lad Hirst and played really well today. Seen a bit of him over the last few seasons. He is quite a big lad and quite mobile but unsure if he had that bit extra to go on and be a league centre back. He is decent at lots of things but not great at anything.

Evans - Lanky player who had received recognition for Wales at junior level. He did alright today under little pressure.

Gordon - Youngest outfield player who has been playing u18's. Shea is an Irish lad I believe! He was ok but at times struggled to get on the ball.

Dimaio- Expected him to stand out at this level against such younger players but he was so-so. Not really pushed on from 18 months ago. Needs a spell out on loan for me. One that I am not sure if he will make it, like Khan and one or two others.

Coustrain - Began the game well and looked neat and tidy playing wide left. One of our main threats first half. He faded as the game went on and was eventually taken off.

McDonagh - Played wide rght but came in off the line a lot. He scored a lot of goals for Matlock was it last season and showed some ability today. Looked most confident player and always wanted to get on the ball. Think there is a player there but he may need another loan at maybe Conference level if we can get that sorted.

Wright - Seems to have grown a bit since I last saw him a year or so ago. He too had scored a lot of goals for Hallam etc. Struggled a bit today and his first touch was not always the best. He is not that quick or strong and is more of a link player who wants to get on the end of things from what I saw today.

De Girolamo - For moments in the game his touch, dribbling and running saw him look the games stand out player but for large chunks of the game he frustrated by overplaying, trying to dribble round too many men and generally playing his own individual game instead of releasing it earlier and then getting on the end of any subsequent pass/cross. He clearly has the touch and ability but has to do the simple things for me before the flashy stuff. Had a number of opportunities to score that he wasted with poor finishing and also I saw him do 5 step overs on one run but fail to get the ball in. Diego reminds me of a lad Ian Ross we had maybe 10-12 years ago who was seen as the next big thing and also was in the international junior squads but for some reason never quite pushed on (think his Dad died aswell which obviously did not help). I remember a Wednesday scout saying Ross would go on and be a Premier League star and Man Utd had watched him when he was 16 and then 4 years later he was out of the game in affect - believe he was last seen at Gainsborough. Diego has got himself a 2 year deal but it is make or break for him. He might not like it but he does need another loan spell to get him some games and allow him to realise what it takes at professional level. At this stage I have to say I would be doubtful that he will make it as a league footballer until he gets his head up and starts to play as a team player. For all his tricks and flicks, there is very rarely ever an end product.

Subs -

Cockerline - Big lad who has scored a fair few goals at Academy level. He went up top as we sought a winner but did not quite happen.

Oops. Just saw this thread. My report elsewhere on here.

Wednesday's side was much younger in age and experience than United's. Just to give above post some fairness. Only maybe 3 or 4 of the Weds mob have even been around the u21's and most just this season. Most of United have been involved in u21 (men's football if you like) for a season at least and we had 2 or 3 who have played first team games.

United really should have been much better considering above and they were and a fair score would have been bout 2 or 3-0 really.

However, the other week our academy u18 side was much younger though than the side they played (which was many of the Weds u21 players today) and we won

Popped down to the Lane this afternoon to have a look at the u21's play our city neighbours.

Firstly grumble at the club and the organisation again. There should not be queues of around 4-500 people for a reserve game just to get a ticket to actually get in; when most of those in the queue were not even paying - you needed a ticket even though it was free with season tickets. The website says entry was free upon production of season ticket and even the ticket office confirmed this when I went to get one for my lad. I got to the turnstyle and was told season tickets were not able to be used as they were not activated (once point of such a system if they can turn them on and off). So I then had to go back to queue. Fortunately it was only 12.30pm. By the time I got in around 12.50pm there were queing right to the club shop. I got in the stand and it was only around two or three hundred in so most were outside. Not many are going to turn up early for a game such as this. It was ridiculous. Surely they could have just left those in through a gate upon production of your season card - they used to do this. Or they could have communicated this to the ticket office.

I am sure saw the queue as was the case for the Newcastle game and just thought sod it and went home again. The club really does need to sort out basic things. I have had less hassle getting in games of 50,000 people in Italy than a reserve game and the organisation was better at my lads infant school disco.

Rant over...onto the game,

re the rant part, if you go on twitter or facebook might be worth bringing it to Jim Phipps attention, cos there was a tweet from the ticket office this morning that did not make sense, and he didn't seem happy about it.

JPTweet2.jpg

you needed a ticket even though it was free with season tickets

I think you have taken Norks and Swiss's biscuit with this story about getting into Bramall Lane

You had to queue for a ticket to get in for free ..................... epic

Did you come across anyone called Alan ?

The official web site was unclear to say the least, use of comma's in certain places makes it even more confusing:

'Admission will be free for United season ticket holders on production of their season ticket card, whilst general admission is £3 adults and £1 concessions - a ticket must be obtained from the Ticket Office.'

Maybe it could read that all needed tickets but I would suggest that most would assume having a season card should negate having to get another ticket and that is the whole poit of having an electronic system at the gate? Also the ticket office confirmed I just used my card at the entrance. So they did not even know. As I say bonkers set up and it seems the club have not learnt from the Newcastle game. It is ok saying arrive early but they had 4 people today selling/giving out tickets for all. Surely they could have had a roll of tickets on the gate with a steward who just gave you when you produced your card and then you could get in. It was never going to be a sell out and surely today common sense ought to have prevailed.

It was Dimaio who played the ball for the goal so done him a disservice as it was the outstanding pass of the game.

I agree Deadbeat, the ticket situation was poor. Surely there is the software available to just update everyone's season ticket for the turnstiles of the reserve games too - meaning that no paper ticket is required?

I think you have taken Norks and Swiss's biscuit with this story about getting into Bramall Lane

You had to queue for a ticket to get in for free ..................... epic

Did you come across anyone called Alan ?

I would have gladly paid to avoid queing!

McDonagh looked good, Diego came into the game when he dropped back slightly, and Banton looked solid(albeit against Hirst's 7stone son). Other than that I've got to say I was a bit disappointed in both sides.

We dominated over 2/3rds of the field but we came up short in the attacking department, which is annoying since there were still enough opportunities created to bury it.
Banton stood out for me and despite only having a much smaller man to mark, still had the commanding presence of a centre half who could potentially do the business at the next level.
As mentioned already, Coustrain did everything right and showed a lot of creativity until fizzling out a bit towards the end.
Jake Wright looked a bit lightweight in my opinion today, ran into danger too easily and didn't time passes very well, although these things usually get ironed out with experience.
Diego De Girolamo was frustrating as ever, showed signs of brilliance and at his best easily stood out amongst the rest, but was too concerned with showboating half the time (You don't need to perform a million stepovers to show how easily you can beat your man). His attitude needs to straighten out.

I know this all sounds a bit negative but in the whole I'm very proud of what our academy has done and continues to do, it's up there with best in the country and I saw enough today to convince me that our future is still bright in that respect.

My thoughts:

Missed first 15 mins due to ridiculous queues - which Deadbat refers to...

Overall - Utd looked lively and busy, with some good individual players and tricky runners. Didn't pay much attention to pigs but they were definitely 2nd best and their play was pedestrian and lacked fluency in comparison to Utd. One thing they did well was block and tackle in and around the box.

I've hardly seen any of these players before but these were my impressions:

Eastwood - tall, skinny, lots of good, long accurate kicks - a couple of dodgy throw outs. Had almost nothing to do.
Whiteman - used the ball well, intelligent player who linked well with others - doesn't look very physically strong (yet?)
Kelly - steady left back, did ok but didn't impose himself on game as much as he could have for me, a bit slow to anticipate at times
Banton - looked very strong at this level, good defending and knows when to clear it long, doesn't look gifted on the ball but did use the ball quite well mainly due to good concentration - seems to read the game well
Evans - hard to say from this game - steady enough but not really tested - both he and Banton let Weds lanky striker (Hirst?) win quite a few flick-ons
McDonagh - MoM for me - can beat players on both sides, mixes up his wing play well, sometimes staying wide, sometimes cutting in, took his goal well and really looked like he wanted to win.
Coustrain - started out looking really threatening but faded later in the game. Looked like he would have a good left foot but never managed to deliver final ball/shot.. very good at receiving ball on half turn and running at defenders. He looked more comfy on the left than on the right (him and McDonagh switched wings quite a bit)
Gordon - hardworking midfield dynamo, gingerish hair, did well enough but didn't really dominate midfield - a bit of a poor man's Paul Rogers!!
Dimaio - thought he was very good and helped Utd dominate the flow of the game. Good, varied range of passing, lots of snappy and intelligent interceptions and tackles, great through ball for the goal - nearly my MoM
Wright - hardworking, quite fiery character, good at rolling and turning defenders but didn't quite have the turn of pace/power to get through on goal (missed a good chance 2nd half). Liked his attitude though.
De Girolamo - looked v.strong at times and did some v.clever things (e.g dropped into space cleverly between their mid and def a few times), but ultimately flattered to deceive. Over-dribbled on quite a few occasions, needs to learn to go on his right foot when put in on the inside right channel - got potential but needs to prove it
a.s.a.p..... (also, kept stretching and looked a bit tired by the end)
Cockerline - lanky Jon Stead lookalike - battled well but didn't really get a chance to get in the game.

Last comment - I thought ref was too lenient and let pigs away with quite a few bad fouls which should have been yellow cards - only booked one of their players about 5 mins from the end...

Good long report by DeadBat but couldn't disagree more..... Connor Dimao was the best player on the pitch by a mile.

Julian should have had an easy day, as SWFC had nothing in the final third. Ben Whiteman and Jamie Mcdonagh also were outstanding.

Good long report by DeadBat but couldn't disagree more..... Connor Dimao was the best player on the pitch by a mile.

Julian should have had an easy day, as SWFC had nothing in the final third. Ben Whiteman and Jamie Mcdonagh also were outstanding.

I also thought Dimaio was brilliant. Superb on the ball, his touch passing and natural ability is such a joy to watch. There must surely be a league two club who needs a regista? He doesn't always look like a great athlete and needs to bulk up, but technically he is top class.

I also thought Dimaio was brilliant. Superb on the ball, his touch passing and natural ability is such a joy to watch. There must surely be a league two club who needs a regista? He doesn't always look like a great athlete and needs to bulk up, but technically he is top class.
His only real weakness is he is one paced. but his passing and vision allow him to be - great talent.

Looked absolute class for me watching it back. Think he could do with a loan move out?

Looked absolute class for me watching it back. Think he could do with a loan move out?

Yes, but I hope it will be to a club that has studied him, wants to use him in a playmaker role and feel he's the missing piece of their jigsaw.

The fact that Dimaio has not even earned a loan spell in the last 18 months and has stayed here in the reserves is telling for me. Technically he is not bad (although not sure he is quite at level others have stated above) and a good passer but is very slow and lacks mobility. Also he gets knocked off ball quite easily. He did alright other day but was playing v 16/17 year olds in the Weds midfield (the same lads that had played v our academy the other week) so really ought to stand out.

Dimaio has not really had a sniff of 1st team football in the league since those cameos at the end of the 13-14 season.

Really need to get him loaned out to see if he can hack regular league football now. If that does not happen and no club takes him (cannot think why SUFC would not let him or want him to go on loan) by the end of the season then sadly likes of him and Khan will be released.

We cant keep tossing out contracts to players who are not even close to first team football at such a poor standard league 2. Dimaio will be 20 by the end of the season too; so is not a kid when you compare him to likes of Reed and Adams.

Back
Top Bottom