Under 18's final, next Monday

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yeah but I thought some on here were saying the academy was a waste of time the other week.

Surely we should be looking at closing the academy down or something?

Yeah but I thought some on here were saying the academy was a waste of time the other week.

The Academy can only help the club when there is a winning first team.
These lads need to be brought in to the first team to supplement good seasoned pros !!!!
At present the lads are under too much pressure as all we hear is they are the saviours of our club.....
These are lads that are trying to make their way in football.... So let's get behind them and not nail them at the first sign of a mistake.....

The Academy should be about producing players good enough for the team not winning the "Category two" u18s and u21s cups for god's sake! We have had the Academy for 15 years but the 1st team have had only one season in the PL and for the last 6 seasons we have been in this Tinpot League!

The Academy should be about producing players good enough for the team not winning the "Category two" u18s and u21s cups for god's sake! We have had the Academy for 15 years but the 1st team have had only one season in the PL and for the last 6 seasons we have been in this Tinpot League!
This is the first season the academy has come anywhere near winning anything ( apart from the FA youth cup a few years ago ) and to do that you have to have a number of very good young players otherwise you win nothing . Your right Silent ,its about producing first team players and any squad that goes this close must have a number of good ones. The youth cup squad did produce a number of players, and I look forward to who will come through the present. group. Obviously good players can be produced without real success at youth level but I would suggest a successful youth team will produce more.

This is the first season the academy has come anywhere near winning anything ( apart from the FA youth cup a few years ago ) and to do that you have to have a number of very good young players otherwise you win nothing . Your right Silent ,its about producing first team players and any squad that goes this close must have a number of good ones. The youth cup squad did produce a number of players, and I look forward to who will come through the present. group. Obviously good players can be produced without real success at youth level but I would suggest a successful youth team will produce more.
Bassett said one season the Wombles youth team won matches nearly every season but none in the squad really made it to the 1st team but in another season the youth team conceded a lot of goals regularly but Brian Gayle was part of that squad but he had a long career mostly in the top division.

Bassett said one season the Wombles youth team won matches nearly every season but none in the squad really made it to the 1st team but in another season the youth team conceded a lot of goals regularly but Brian Gayle was part of that squad but he had a long career mostly in the top division.
There's no guarantee Silent any will come through but Bassett s statement about Gayle is not an excuse for failure at youth level wimbledon were a small club with a meteoric rise to fame and I imagine there youth system would have been poor anyway ,to bring any through would have been difficult , Bassett shoehorned that team together ,a team of miss fits ( crazy gang ) and it worked really well as Bassett had the abillite to put a team together very cheaply!
he did it here as well on a shoe string.
What is exciting about the present young teams (18s& 21s ) is these lads are very young for the actual level they are being successful at,.Playing against
lads who are ahead of you physically is tough and these young lads are showing they have the mental toughness to compete .As I said earlier there are no guarantees but a number of these have a good chance,I look forward in anticipation.

There's no guarantee Silent any will come through but Bassett s statement about Gayle is not an excuse for failure at youth level wimbledon were a small club with a meteoric rise to fame and I imagine there youth system would have been poor anyway ,to bring any through would have been difficult , Bassett shoehorned that team together ,a team of miss fits ( crazy gang ) and it worked really well as Bassett had the abillite to put a team together very cheaply!
What is exciting about the present young teams (18s& 21s ) is these lads are very young for the actual level they are being successful at,.Playing against
lads who are ahead of you physically is tough and these young lads are showing they have the mental toughness to compete .As I said earlier there are no guarantees but a number of these have a good chance,I look forward in anticipation.
Hope you are right

Yeah, same here too.

Getting away from (justified) cynicism about McCabe, got to say I think he's dead right in saying that academy products ought to be at the heart of the first team going forwards. The system really does seem to be bearing fruit right now.

Loved the Youth Cup final a few years back, & I suspect the two finals coming up will provide a similar feelgood sort of situation.

What poor appraisal of young 16 and 17 year old lads trying to make their way in the game.
A number of these lads have been at the club since 7 years old.
This particular team at u18s have played Crystal Palace, Watford, Leeds, The Pigs, Hull, Notts Forest, QPR, Cardiff, Charlton all this season and beat the lot !!!!' I wish the first team were playing clubs like that....

These lads are playing up to 2 years below their age groups all for SUFC.

Show a little bit praise for these boys who are busting a gut for your club

What poor appraisal of young 16 and 17 year old lads trying to make their way in the game.
This particular team at u18s have played Crystal Palace, Watford, Leeds, The Pigs, Hull, Notts Forest, QPR, Cardiff, Charlton all this season and beat the lot !!!!' I wish the first team were playing clubs like that....

Spot on Lark masher ?

Spot on Lark masher ?
Cheers pal....
These boys are not the sole answer to our clubs problems but let's show them a bit of respect !!!

Slag players of who earn thousands of pounds a week and don't give a toss........ but don't slag young lads off that love this club to death and earn £90 a week...... And have a dream !!!!

Hope you are right.

The EPPP has ruined many Academies IMHO

Cheers pal....
These boys are not the sole answer to our clubs problems but let's show them a bit of respect !!!

Slag players of who earn thousands of pounds a week and don't give a toss........ but don't slag young lads off that love this club to death and earn £90 a week...... And have a dream !!!!
Wasnt slagging off the lads (find me a quote supporting this). It is the whole system. Same for SWFC and Category 2 Academies

Wasnt slagging off the lads (find me a quote supporting this). It is the whole system. Same for SWFC and Category 2 Academies
To be honest the quote mentioning "winning Cat2 cups for gods sake " kinda looks like it's not enough for you !!!!
Maybe a well done lads for beating Championship clubs week in week out would come across better !!!

This EPPP is a stick to whip academies with !!!! We are a League 1 side with a Cat2 Academy. That is a fact and is where we are !!!

Give these lads credit when it's due..... They can only beat what's in front of them.

To be honest the quote mentioning "winning Cat2 cups for gods sake " kinda looks like it's not enough for you !!!!
Maybe a well done lads for beating Championship clubs week in week out would come across better !!!

This EPPP is a stick to whip academies with !!!! We are a League 1 side with a Cat2 Academy. That is a fact and is where we are !!!

Give these lads credit when it's due..... They can only beat what's in front of them.
Well Done Lads!

Ha...... You've got me thinking now?

Is he serious or just taking the piss out of me ???

Be gentle with me gentlemen I am new to this Forum.
There are a lot of threads in here discussing whether it is worth having an Academy. Many are aghast with the PL for introducing the EPPP about 4 seasons ago.

My point is that the Academy is successful if it produces enough players to boost our chances to get promotion to the PL rather than win Youth Cups or other youth trophies.

I used to go to watch Academy and Reserves matches and have posted reports in Forums

Must have been all that practice he got?

Sadly don't think I'll be able to attend to 18s game, despite having done many similar journeys previously.

The 21s should be at the Lane in a couple of weeks or so and we should look to get a good crowd for that. I'm sure the club will be willing... Get yourselves down!

Sadly don't think I'll be able to attend to 18s game, despite having done many similar journeys previously.

The 21s should be at the Lane in a couple of weeks or so and we should look to get a good crowd for that. I'm sure the club will be willing... Get yourselves down!
Scott Fitzgerald in your avatar!

It is my understanding that they are trying to make it a Saturday afternoon.

So I'm guessing you can just rock up and pay on the night for this, right?

There are a lot of threads in here discussing whether it is worth having an Academy. Many are aghast with the PL for introducing the EPPP about 4 seasons ago.

My point is that the Academy is successful if it produces enough players to boost our chances to get promotion to the PL rather than win Youth Cups or other youth trophies.

I used to go to watch Academy and Reserves matches and have posted reports in Forums
Winning 18s and 21s youth cups and play offs is all part of producing players than can push on to become players we all hope for. They must play in these matches to gain experience for what could come after.
Producing a top player is a long journey.

Back
Top Bottom