U21s/Academy prospects

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

HeCanDoMagic

Reaction score
Question for those that regularly watch the above;

Are there any that are ready for first team action?

With promotion looking a remote possibility at best, it might be that we could take a look at 1 or 2 ahead of what is likely to be a summer of massive upheaval.

With promotion looking a remote possibility at best, it might be that we could take a look at 1 or 2 ahead of what is likely to be a summer of massive upheaval.
I haven't watched them for a while so I don't know.

The only way to truly know is put them on the bench and give them a few minutes. Towards the end of March / April when / if the play offs look unlikely.

I'd start putting DCL on the bench now. He has L2 experience and surely can't be worse than Sammmon.

Jake Wright and Whiteman are unknowns. The problem with the keepers is bench time is largely useless because they never play. You have to put them straight in, maybe last game of the season.

I watch the U21s/U18s home games, and some away.

Don`t think any are close to first team action, our most promising prospect for my money is a goalkeeper, Aaron Ramsdale.

The U18s have some really promising kids, but not ready for the first team at this time. IMO.

If the season fizzles out we might see Ben Whiteman given a chance, but out of the players starting the last 2 U21
games, he is the only one who would maybe be ready.

I didn't think I would say this but how many points do we need to accumulate to be mathematically certain of not going down? By then I think the play-offs will be a distant pipedream and Adkins should play the players he intends to keep and fill the remaining spots from the u/21's until the end of the season.

I didn't think I would say this but how many points do we need to accumulate to be mathematically certain of not going down? By then I think the play-offs will be a distant pipedream and Adkins should play the players he intends to keep and fill the remaining spots from the u/21's until the end of the season.
Despite everything this season, I would suggest we are not in a relegation dogfight!

A poor performance, in a poor game against the Leagues best side IMO, but plenty of points to play for, wouldn`t rule out the play offs yet, but obviously we need to start a run like we did in December.

Academies realistically exist to produce and develop two or three prospects, while stringing the other squad members along, because you need to field eleven players to give the two or three prospects a game. In that respect it's a very cruel game for the majority of lads.

However if you get to nineteen and your not considered good enough to make the step into Division 3, then it's unlikely you're ever going to be.

There is absolutely no hope of the current first team squad getting anywhere near the play offs, what better opportunity to get some of our 'prospects' into the first team and let's see what they can do. At least, I would hope, we could be assured of some enthusiasm and passion which would welcomed by the supporters and may even be infectious. Clough did it against Rotherham the year they got promoted and won 1-0, why there is such reluctance is a mystery to me, most of the current squad are not good enough for Division 3, but he keeps fucking picking them !

I watch the U21s/U18s home games, and some away.

Don`t think any are close to first team action, our most promising prospect for my money is a goalkeeper, Aaron Ramsdale.

The U18s have some really promising kids, but not ready for the first team at this time. IMO.

If the season fizzles out we might see Ben Whiteman given a chance, but out of the players starting the last 2 U21
games, he is the only one who would maybe be ready.

I always see Whiteman in write ups and usually good things. One question, he plays CM, can he pass forwards as well as back and sideways?

I always see Whiteman in write ups and usually good things. One question, he plays CM, can he pass forwards as well as back and sideways?
He can pass in all 3 directions!

Decent delivery at set pieces too, he can also play centre half ala Basham.

Who is likely to remain from the u21'ss for next season? Saw a lot of speculation that some have been told too find new clubs and see that Kleh, Evans, Cockerline have been loaned out (and thus wont return) and of course Dimaio, Phillips and Khan have gone. Guessing many of the others such as Willis, Coustrain, Banton, McDonagh will not be here either. Surprised about the latter but not the rest. So quite a bit of a cull from the back ups aswell as the first team looming.

Noted the squad for todays u21 game at Forest and many of those above dont feature so cannot see them having a future.

Blades (from): Ramsdale, Perryman, Harris, Kelly, McGahey, Gordon, Semple, Reed, Whiteman, K. Smith, Cuvelier, Brooks, Gilmour, Calvert-Lewin, De Girolamo, Hall.

Brooks (midfield), Ramsdale (keeper) , Wright (centre forward) and Whiteman (midfield) were apparently given another year but is that it that are remaining? Means much of u21 squad last season outside of these will be from current u18's?

The rest of the above taking away the professionals already with contracts (which DCL/Diego/Reed have to be counted as) are 18 players arent they - Perryman, Kelly, Gordon, Semple, K Smith, Gilmour, Hall?

Who out of these looks like they may have some promise/is getting rave reviews? I suppose we will see who may get contracts soon - not even sure who are 1st v 2nd year scholars.

Only seen one under 18 game this season but noted they have won a series of games on the bounce and are 2nd in their league

Academies realistically exist to produce and develop two or three prospects, while stringing the other squad members along, because you need to field eleven players to give the two or three prospects a game. In that respect it's a very cruel game for the majority of lads.

However if you get to nineteen and your not considered good enough to make the step into Division 3, then it's unlikely you're ever going to be.

There is absolutely no hope of the current first team squad getting anywhere near the play offs, what better opportunity to get some of our 'prospects' into the first team and let's see what they can do. At least, I would hope, we could be assured of some enthusiasm and passion which would welcomed by the supporters and may even be infectious. Clough did it against Rotherham the year they got promoted and won 1-0, why there is such reluctance is a mystery to me, most of the current squad are not good enough for Division 3, but he keeps fucking picking them !

I see no reason why he should not give Whiteman, DCL and Wright some game time before the end of the season once the erm playoff dream...cough....dies.

I actually even would give Reed a run of games - give him 6 or 7 games and see what he can do - I dont think he is good enough but he prob cant do much worse than the rest and even Diego - give him a go from the bench - again think he will leave.

Crowd need something different and something else to see. Bored of watching same old rubbish.

As you say the same rubbish has been playing week in , week out and we have won what 1 game in 6 and are now further off top 6 than we ever have been.

Brooks is a good player, but weighs less than Scougall!, needs to fill out a bit, but has a chance.

Kirmani Smith has pace, and plays left wing, & Connor Hall, who we got from Palace, and has an eye for goal, have been the two stand outs recently.

For the U21s, both Gordon & Kelly have done well this season, especially Kelly who has shown real promise, and has got a great cross on him.

Clough did it against Rotherham the year they got promoted and won 1-0, why there is such reluctance is a mystery to me, most of the current squad are not good enough for Division 3, but he keeps fucking picking them !

I remember watching that game and thinking that Otis Khan looked one of the best players on the pitch, and certainly one for the future.

As I've not seen the U21's play it's hard for me to say, but can only assume he did progress as well as was expected after this.

If we continue to tail off to the extent that the playoffs look impossible, I'd give more starts to Reed, K. Wallace, Adams, DCL and possibly one or two others like Whiteman. Not saying they'll improve the team immediately but we might as well be giving experience to players who will be here next season and drop those that will be released. This season is in danger of being a write off and once it is, it's time to start planning for next season.

Think as season comes to the end....play a mixture of kids and those here next season and start to properly plan - we might lose some games but if we are mid table it is more about seeing who can maybe cope and getting them that game time (Edgar may have to play as noone else)

------------------Long-----------------------
Brayford---Basham---Edgar---K Wallace
Adams-----Coutts------Reed-----Done
--------------Sharp---DCL-----------------

Subs from: Ramsdale, Woolford, Whiteman, Diego, Brooks, Wright etc

That way you only play the ones under contract/likely to be here. Would be bold but also send a statement to what we are trying to do.

I used to watch Youth matches in late 1990s and Academy matches between 2001 and 2006. We had Jagielka, Montgomery, Cryan and Tonge looking good in youth matches. I often talk to Brian Jessop (who is always at youth and reserves matches and he would tell me who the good prospects are). I liked what I saw of Sharp, Ross and Forte in the Academy matches, I wasnt there to see the two Kyles and Maguire. Last season I decided to watch our u21s play Crewe hoping to see DCL but he wasnt playing that night. I hadnt seen Brian for a long time and I asked him who are the ones to watch, he replied "DCL and Willis". I was bored throughout the match as there wasnt really anyone who stood out and left for home early. I am quite sure our Academy isnt as good as it was mainly due to the EPPP that the PL clubs are taking advantage of

Treeton Blade said:
Morsey hardly played one forward pass Saturday, keeping possession is key.
Generally speaking I'd say you're right, but Leicester have the 3rd worst possession percentage in the PL (and the worst at home).

Generally speaking I'd say you're right, but Leicester have the 3rd worst possession percentage in the PL (and the worst at home).

We don't have anyone to play a long pass.
We don't have anyone to run after a long pass.

Houston we have a problem

Whiteman and Ramsdale are the best two prospects for me. Whiteman's range of passing and as mentioned above, his delivery from set pieces is good.

I do like the look of one or two of the first year's we've brought through but it's always too early to tell. If three of the academy side make it to the first team then the academy is doing it's job. We still have a lot of our old youngsters in the lower leagues and that's still an excellent production rate for any academy.

Also, the obsession with possession these days is ridiculous. Too many teams concentrate on keeping meaningless possession rather than trying to hurt teams. It's fine when you're trying to kill a game off but the amount of teams that do it at 0-0 is insane, and it's getting boring to watch.

We don't have anyone to play a long pass.
We don't have anyone to run after a long pass.

Houston we have a problem

Leicester are a long way from being just about long passes. They break quickly and in numbers, and most of their goals come from that.

I am quite sure our Academy isnt as good as it was mainly due to the EPPP that the PL clubs are taking advantage of
I think that's right SB...How can we compete while we're in L1...all the best youngsters are at PL or Championship academies,while we're having to make do with in the main, players who have lesser ability or are late developers.
Nearly every other team at this level is picking off some of the young PL /Champ' talent on loan or the players who have been released,while we're waiting to see if the likes of Reed,DDG,DCL will eventually be good enough...they maybe one day,but other teams are bringing in players who stand out week in,week out in an opposition shirt and make an impact...Mcaleny for Wigan on Saturday for example,on loan from Everton...we need to be in for some of these players,but we're to busy trying to provide a pathway for our own youngsters,who in my opinion,at the moment are inferior,and not ready.I think the best thing is to get our own out on loan to improve and get experience..I know this is happening to an extent,and as you say pick up some of these loans and cast off's like everyone else is doing.

I think that's right SB...How can we compete while we're in L1...all the best youngsters are at PL or Championship academies,while we're having to make do with in the main, players who have lesser ability or are late developers.
Nearly every other team at this level is picking off some of the young PL /Champ' talent on loan or the players who have been released,while we're waiting to see if the likes of Reed,DDG,DCL will eventually be good enough...they maybe one day,but other teams are bringing in players who stand out week in,week out in an opposition shirt and make an impact...Mcaleny for Wigan on Saturday for example,on loan from Everton...we need to be in for some of these players,but we're to busy trying to provide a pathway for our own youngsters,who in my opinion,at the moment are inferior,and not ready.I think the best thing is to get our own out on loan to improve and get experience..I know this is happening to an extent,and as you say pick up some of these loans and cast off's like everyone else is doing.
We're not busy trying to provide a 'pathway for our youngsters' we're cutting the wage bill any way we can. We're desperate for some attacking quality in wide positions but we've let Khan go and told Heh to find another club.

The academy is not an excuse for not bringing in quality loan players.

I used to watch Youth matches in late 1990s and Academy matches between 2001 and 2006. We had Jagielka, Montgomery, Cryan and Tonge looking good in youth matches. I often talk to Brian Jessop (who is always at youth and reserves matches and he would tell me who the good prospects are). I liked what I saw of Sharp, Ross and Forte in the Academy matches, I wasnt there to see the two Kyles and Maguire. Last season I decided to watch our u21s play Crewe hoping to see DCL but he wasnt playing that night. I hadnt seen Brian for a long time and I asked him who are the ones to watch, he replied "DCL and Willis". I was bored throughout the match as there wasnt really anyone who stood out and left for home early. I am quite sure our Academy isnt as good as it was mainly due to the EPPP that the PL clubs are taking advantage of

Jagielka, Montgomery and Tonge had already been blooded in the first team by the age of 17. Both Kyles had gone to Tottenham in multi million pound deals whilst they was both still teenagers,

Back
Top Bottom