Transfer windows last 2 years in August

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

WF10BLADE

Reaction score

It's the financial fair play rule that's the problem without that it would be easy.

.... Also McCabe being a bullshitting twat may be playing a part.

In 2014 close season before 31 August we signed 10 players. 3 in August.

2015 - 5 in total. 2 in August

2016 to date - 9 in total. 3 August

Not sure what the obsession is with deadline day. :confused:

Perhaps the club releasing quotes saying things like "we need more players" and "we've got bids In for 2/3/4" or this year "we're very close on a couple"

It's time for another.....RECAP!

giphy.gif

Serious question LS,

Imagine you was in charge now.
What would you do if you had several irons in the fire?

1: Comminicate everything and be quite specific about targets?
2: Keep quiet and not say anything?
3: Tell lies and say no money for transfers we're not interested
4: Or pay over the odds to get players in who might or might not do a job.

Regards option 1 we've recently had the best communication in the clubs history with Jim Phipps but some of our fans abused that privilege.

Regards option 2 many of our fans would be constantly speculating about bad news and negativity that we aren't ever going to sign anyone ever.

Regards option 3 would be foolish

Regards option 4 we've tried that several times eg Hammond and it's never worked.

Wilder announced at the beginning of the season a new policy of not applying option 4. I bet Wilder wasn't too bothered because he could easily sell the club to new players but the 19K crowds and big fan spectating is now working against him because we're bottom of the league.

Last edited:
Serious question LS,

Imagine you was in charge now.
What would you do if you had several irons in the fire?

1: Comminicate everything and be quite specific about targets?
2: Keep quiet and not say anything?
3: Tell lies and say no money for transfers we're not interested
4: Or pay over the odds to get players in who might or might not do a job.

Regards option 1 we've recently had the best communication in the clubs history with Jim Phipps but some of our fans abused that privilege.

Regards option 2 many of our fans would be constantly speculating about bad news and negativity that we aren't ever going to sign anyone ever.

Regards option 3 would be foolish

Regards option 4 we've tried that several times eg Hammond and it's never worked.
What about option 5: Be up front about having bids in for players of the correct quality without naming names and without telling lies/providing false hope. And then heres the crucial bit...actually signing them.

Wouldn't surprise me if Morsey and other good players are agreeable to join us BUT they will only sign if we give them a Kev McDonald get out clause.

Ambitious players will only join us if they're sure we'll be serious promotion candidates. Otherwise why take the risk? Morsy has to think about his future.

So his agent might say "he'll sign but if he doesn't get promoted then you must sell him for £200K"

This means Morsey would be able to negotiate a big salary at another club if we fail to get promoted this year.

Would you agree this clause?

Wouldn't surprise me if Morsey and other good players are agreeable to join us BUT they will only sign if we give them a Kev McDonald get out clause.

Ambitious players will only join us if they're sure we'll be serious promotion candidates. Otherwise why take the risk? Morsy has to think about his future.

So his agent might say "he'll sign but if he doesn't get promoted then you must sell him for £200K"

This means Morsey would be able to negotiate a big salary at another club if we fail to get promoted this year.

It's more likely that knowing those at our club we'd sign that deal pick some form up due to him and sell him in Jan

What about option 5: Be up front about having bids in for players of the correct quality without naming names and without telling lies/providing false hope. And then heres the crucial bit...actually signing them.

But football never works like that unless the club is rich and isn't bothered about negotiation.

Neil Warnock said (and he's pretty honest) that agents are up to so many tricks. He's ALMOST signed so many players, shook hands, had gentlemans agreements and its all backfired.

Regards out targets I reckon if we gave them 15K a week then we'd have a good chance of signing them.
As I've said we could be creative and offer incentives, massive promotion bonuses, get out clauses like what Jags and McD had where we MUST sell them on the cheap and can't refuse the bid.

Wilder seems a straight talking simple kind of guy. I reckon that if the agent is umming and arghring, changing the goalposts squeezing the club for extra clauses.

Wouldn't surprise me if wilder thinks f..em. They're not that interested in coming here and maybe he doesn't want mercenarys.

As I said selling a club like SU should be easy but whilst we sit bottom of the league then it makes it more tricky. If Our targets read this site them in sure they'd prefer less wages and go for an easier life at somewhere like Scunthorpe instead.

As I said selling a club like SU should be easy but whilst we sit bottom of the league then it makes it more tricky. If Our targets read this site them in sure they'd prefer less wages and go for an easier life at somewhere like Scunthorpe instead.
That's no excuse though. The top quality signings should have been made in pre-season, when there was plenty of time. The team weren't bottom of the league and the fans weren't irate then.

Agents certainly aren't any excuse either. Every club has to deal with them.

I don't believe it is simple.

It is only simple if you are able to pick a target and just pay whatever Is needed to get them in.

Our problem is still one of expectation.
Expectation from the owner that the manager will be able to sign good players fairly cheaply.
Expectation from the manager that players want to come to us in L1 because we are the biggest draw.
Expectation from the fans to be capable of winning every game.

Expectation that Sheffield United can bring in a whole new squad...on a average budget...containing better players than everyone else in L1...in less than 3 months during the off season....and immediately see them play winning football. Without a bottomless budget it is impossible. There...I've said it.

I can't say this enough, but we need a genuine longer term plan. We need to stick with ONE manager for that period. We need to allow the team to build gradually and lower expectations at every level from Owner to fan.
Until we accept this, we are going to continue to wallow around getting nowhere.

I'd agree as long as we counter agreed you can go when we've got a replacement.

*proactive not reactive
That isnt a proper answer!
Sheffsteel said "Ambitious players will only join us if they're sure we'll be serious promotion candidates. Otherwise why take the risk? Morsy has to think about his future.

This means Morsy would be able to negotiate a big salary at another club if we fail to get promoted this year.

Would you agree this clause?"

Yes or No in agreeing to the clause? Of course the agent wouldnt agree to "If SUFC get a replacement etc etc"

That isnt a proper answer!
Sheffsteel said "Ambitious players will only join us if they're sure we'll be serious promotion candidates. Otherwise why take the risk? Morsy has to think about his future.

This means Morsy would be able to negotiate a big salary at another club if we fail to get promoted this year.

Would you agree this clause?"

Yes or No in agreeing to the clause? Of course the agent wouldnt agree to "If SUFC get a replacement etc etc"

Well why not just get the player on loan?

If the condition was he can go for 200k if you don't go up could only be honoured in May and not during the Jan window of this season
It is believed that Wigan will agree to at least £400K for Morsy to move to us. You are saying that he could leave us for half of that fee next summer if we fail to go up. Correct?

It is believed that Wigan will agree to at least £400K for Morsy to move to us. You are saying that he could leave us for half of that fee next summer if we fail to go up. Correct?

I think it's been lost in translation I was answering that blokes rhetorical question about a clause,

But yeah that sounds like something the Blades would do :)

It appears for years the strategy has been to weaken the club.

Sceptics like me believe it's cause owners(s) do not want costs involved with being any higher league.

No one with ambition would consistently get it wrong season after season, would they?

Please feel free to convince me I'm wrong cause as sheffielder sez the hope is killing me.

I think it's been lost in translation I was answering that blokes rhetorical question about a clause,

But yeah that sounds like something the Blades would do :)
Yes it seems that they have been agreeing to clauses in the last 10 years and we had to agree to letting Jagielka, McDonald, Maguire, Murphy etc to go for less than what we wanted. Maybe the club now have decided not to be too soft to the players agents who insist on clauses like these. We have signed nine players so far this summer (two or three of them have not impressed me so far) and I do think we need more strengthening but you and I do not know what the negotiations have been like. It looks like the agents are being difficult to us as they know we need more strengthening and are under pressure from the fans. I hate football agents!

The Scottish bloke on Sky who shouts a lot is my highlight. Without him there would be no "slamming" shut of the window. In fact ther probably wouldn't be a window.

I would if I was CW. My priority would be to turn things round now, so I've got half a chance of being in a job for more than three months. I'd then meet with my scout and tell him to source some potential replacements for next season, if we don't go up.

That buys me the time I need to get my scouts doing what they should be doing, and giving them sufficient time to do it properly.

How many times have posters criticised each other for suggesting players they've only seen play two or three times but that's what we expect our scouts to do. Neither Wilder nor Mitchell would have been looking at the type of players we need before they came here.

Back
Top Bottom