Transfer Policy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Which transfer policy would you prefer us to adopt?

• Total voters

Latters

Reaction score
The posts on here on deadline day got me thinking. Given the choice, would people rather we spent a little more than we thought was "good value for money" on a player / some players, and actually manage to sign our main targets, players who are probably good for this division, or would they prefer we stick to our guns, not pay over the odds, but end up signing average League 1 players?

I know there is no option for "find a bargain who turns out to be good for this league AND is cheap. Of the signings this transfer window, none appear to fit this category, although Magahey has the potential to, providing the tribunal fee was pretty low.

It may not be that we simply refuse to pay over the odds, it may be that we refuse to pay the going rate.

I'd rather we flexed our financial muscle a bit more and aimed higher.

It may not be that we simply refuse to pay over the odds, it may be that we refuse to pay the going rate.

I'd rather we flexed our financial muscle a bit more and aimed higher.

The "we" I referred to when I said what "we" view as good value for money could mean the club, rather than the fans. Apologies for the confusion, but it sounds like you agree with me.

For me it's about identifying either young(ish)players who are surplus to requirements in the league above or those who are already top players at their clubs in this league. Look at what they are worth like. Look at their likely potential. Look at how much promotion would bring in. If you buy a player who is doing well already in this league who is likely to improve and have a re-sale value, then paying more than he's worth (within reason) is the sensible. It's an investment.

I find it hard to pick, because I don't want us to repeat the mistakes that brought us to where we are. I have an ongoing stuggle to fathom why we don't see to be able to set ourselves apart from our much (sorry etc) rivals, without taking either of those options.

UTB

Pay over the odds. Do what other clubs do to get out of the division i.e. Bournemouth, Wolves, Brentford etc. by spending. Be tight and unless you stumble on diamonds of players then you stay in the division for years - like what has and probably will happen to us.

We need to get out of this league. If that means spending over the odds the so be it.

This league is slowly strangling our club yet the board dont seem to want to go the extra mile.

Once were up they can take back the extra outlay surely?

Don't be silly. As if our Board would do that.

How much did you say we bought Higdon for, £150k was it? Would you say that was the going rate for someone who scored 14 goals in a relegated side in the Dutch top division?

We need to get out of this league. If that means spending over the odds the so be it.

This league is slowly strangling our club yet the board dont seem to want to go the extra mile.

Once were up they can take back the extra outlay surely?

Yeah, let's get 2-3 £1m+ fringe premiership/championship players in and hope we get a Brayford and not a Cofie attitude from them.

17depress.span.jpg

/\ /\ /\ Yes Judge and I know for certain I voted differently to you! /\ /\ /\

Quick question if we pay over the odds for these bog named players and stuff then how do we go about paying the over inflated wages that come with it whilst staying within FFP wage rules?

In the Championship when we are supposedly going to make this major assault to get to the premiership then yes I want us to splash out on good quality named players who can do the business. Less restrictions in that league and as a Championship club we will actually attract players.

How much did you say we bought Higdon for, £150k was it? Would you say that was the going rate for someone who scored 14 goals in a relegated side in the Dutch top division?

Fair point - I accept we pay the going rate when it comes to the cheap option. When it comes to a bit more proven quality it's a different story. Seriously, were you impressed by yesterday's shambles?

Fair point - I accept we pay the going rate when it comes to the cheap option. When it comes to a bit more proven quality it's a different story. Seriously, were you impressed by yesterday's shambles?

I was neither impressed or unimpressed. Madness I know, but I just can't bring myself to get annoyed over trivial shit like SUFC not signing anyone on the media circus that's TDD

17depress.span.jpg

/\ /\ /\ Yes Judge and I know for certain I voted differently to you! /\ /\ /\

Quick question if we pay over the odds for these bog named players and stuff then how do we go about paying the over inflated wages that come with it whilst staying within FFP wage rules?

In the Championship when we are supposedly going to make this major assault to get to the premiership then yes I want us to splash out on good quality named players who can do the business. Less restrictions in that league and as a Championship club we will actually attract players.
The chairman can gift the club money A la brentford
we could use the money from the cup run
or gate receipts
record shirt sales
Maguire money

Or we could stat Iin this pityhole of a division for ever until the club dies

The chairman can gift the club money A la brentford
we could use the money from the cup run
or gate receipts
record shirt sales
Maguire money

Or we could stat Iin this pityhole of a division for ever until the club dies

But Clough openly stated that the board have been totally forthcoming with everything he has asked them for. The told them what he wanted to sign players and they gave it him, he asked them to bankroll the signing of the Championship players yesterday and the tabled bids for the players which weren't buffered for being not enough.

If we were sat doing naff all then I would probably have a similar mindset to you but we've brought in 11 players so far this season which is far more than some of the clubs in this league, add that to some cracking players that we have already got. Clough then went for some additional quality last night as opposed to bringing in a few easy signings to please us all which would have only boosted squad numbers. We don't need no more dead wood those days are dead and buried.

I'm not happy clapping I am looking at everything as a whole and I see a squad who turned it round last year under new management to narrowly miss the play-offs whilst challenging in the semi final of the FA Cup as well, I also see a team who after a sketchy start to this season seem to be turning things around. It will come good in my eyes. Your opinions are yours, mine are mine. I have no reason to worry right now, I am fully behind the team, the manager and the board. My choice.

I was neither impressed or unimpressed. Madness I know, but I just can't bring myself to get annoyed over trivial shit like SUFC not signing anyone on the media circus that's TDD

This. When sky say have a wank, apparently you should.

But Clough openly stated that the board have been totally forthcoming with everything he has asked them for. The told them what he wanted to sign players and they gave it him, he asked them to bankroll the signing of the Championship players yesterday and the tabled bids for the players which weren't buffered for being not enough.

If we were sat doing naff all then I would probably have a similar mindset to you but we've brought in 11 players so far this season which is far more than some of the clubs in this league, add that to some cracking players that we have already got. Clough then went for some additional quality last night as opposed to bringing in a few easy signings to please us all which would have only boosted squad numbers. We don't need no more dead wood those days are dead and buried.

I'm not happy clapping I am looking at everything as a whole and I see a squad who turned it round last year under new management to narrowly miss the play-offs whilst challenging in the semi final of the FA Cup as well, I also see a team who after a sketchy start to this season seem to be turning things around. It will come good in my eyes. Your opinions are yours, mine are mine. I have no reason to worry right now, I am fully behind the team, the manager and the board. My choice.
It was phipps who said that nigel had been given a budget he was happy with not nigel saying he had been given everything he had asked for
Also if we hadnt signed 11 players we would be struggling to put a side out , blackpool have signed 11 players brunsmeer under 12's sign at least 13 every year

The signs for me are we are on a tight budget with even the best possible man at the helm to work in those circumstances asking for more dosh
The scouting system doesnt seem to look outside of derby reserves and the outer hebrides and as for this spend big in the championship shit that just makes me lolz

It was phipps who said that nigel had been given a budget he was happy with not nigel saying he had been given everything he had asked for
Also if we hadnt signed 11 players we would be struggling to put a side out , blackpool have signed 11 players brunsmeer under 12's sign at least 13 every year

The signs for me are we are on a tight budget with even the best possible man at the helm to work in those circumstances asking for more dosh
The scouting system doesnt seem to look outside of derby reserves and the outer hebrides and as for this spend big in the championship shit that just makes me lolz

I don't want to search through Blades player to prove the point but if I have to I will. It was 100% Nigel Clough in a Bladesplayer interview who said that he had told the board what he thought he needed to buy the players he thought we required and they were very forthcoming and gave it him in full. Saw it and heard it with my own eyes and ears buddy. If Clough hadn't have said this then yeah I would have been questioning whether the board are forcing Clough into the cheap option. The fact that the board was openly willing to bankroll three championship cash signings on the last day of the transfer window for me shows a degree of ambition.

Believe me if I honestly thought or saw signs for concern then I would be ranting from the rooftops but looking at the bigger picture and stuff I think the bard and management are doing "enough" to challenge for automatic promotion. I think we will make the most of the loan market as well, I don't see any big flashing warning lights yet.

Nigel Clough in a Bladesplayer interview who said that he had told the board what he thought he needed to buy the players he thought we required and they were very forthcoming and gave it him in full. The fact that the board was openly willing to bankroll three championship cash signings on the last day of the transfer window for me shows a degree of ambition.

Shame the clubs, players, agents, we made offers to didn't want to be the third leg of the stool.

Maybe we are going to have to pay over the odds to get the players we want especially as those other clubs, players and agents perceive that we are minted.

I know we can't afford to stay in the 3rd Division any longer.

I'm going to vote now.

Wolves proved that big money can get you out of this division

A tad easier when you have parachute payments filling the coffers.

Back to the vote, it's not a case of those two options, there's something in between which is where we are, or at least trying to be.

Back
Top Bottom