Time for a fresh approach from us Blades supporters?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

GreasyChipBeattie

Reaction score
This is most definitely not a dig at our support, even though last season, when we weren't decidedly quiet at games, we were decidedly critical (we all read Roy's excellent 'views from' don't we?)

As far as I'm concerned, the self-deprecating, piss-taking fans from, and I will say it, tin pot clubs, can do one for me. Don't tell me fans of ANY team would be right behind them after anything like the shambles of the last 9 years following relegation from two divisions higher culminating in the utter dross of last season.

People can look all they like at the likes of 'plucky Crawley Town' and their loyal, let's-just-enjoy-the-ride approach to their new found league status of very recent years. I can tell you that their attitude had changed somewhat by the end of last season when they lost their final game 3-0 at home, and finished at the wrong end of the league, and that after just the briefest of flirtations with the relative 'big boys' of the third division (OK, league one if you must)
Home attendance against Hartlepool last season in League 2? 1,883
Home attendance against Hartlepool 3 years before in League 1? 4,100
Three years ago, Crawley came to BDTBL. Our crowd? 18,000
Our average since then? Pretty much unchanged.
Don't tell me we're one of the most fickle sets of supporters around.
We're right up there with the best of the best.

So, why the perceived lack of support by others?
That's pretty obvious really. Without doubt, 9 years-worth of mis-management, broken hearts and the sense of being butt-f****d by players such as.....actually, I don't even need to name names, has robbed this ultra-loyal fan base of almost every last ounce of enthusiasm and hope....until now!

Now we have a proper fresh start. Early days yes, but so far, the signs are good. I've even dared to allow a little rush of excitement in my heart that reminds me of those times when we have enjoyed great seasons under the likes on DB and NW.

So how might our approach change?

Well, it may be difficult, but letting go of the past would be a start.
I'm old enough to (just!) remember the 74/75 season.
That became my 'bench mark' of what SUFC were all about.
Rightly or wrongly, anything less than that qualifies as a disappointing season for me.
For others, it will be a different successful time that became the aspiration for a good season.
Thing is, we are where we are because we deserve to be, based on the performance of the club and players, oh yes, and a bit of bad luck.
As we have seen, the majority of those players have now either gone or will not feature again, at least not to the pathetic standard they have in the past.
That pervading attitude or dare I say 'spirit' of negativity seems to have been eradicated by 'one of our own'
It really does feel that this particular new broom really has swept clean.

I guess the danger will be not hitting the ground running.
As difficult and unpalatable as it is, I think we're going to have to take on a little of the 'upcoming Crawley' approach rather than the the 'we shouldn't be down here' frustration of the past and try and enjoy the ride for a while even if things don't look too good at first.
CW has an ENORMOUS amount of rebuilding to do.
It might happen next season, it might not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a couple of years.
So, I think it might be time to try and let go of that 'desperate' feeling inside that we just have to get out this year.
That will only lead to more frustration and dare I say it, unreasonable demands on a manager with such a lot to do to reshape us into the type of team we feel we deserve, as the most loyal of supporters.

The past mistakes are none of CW's doing.
Failure to be top 2, even top 6 within the first 2 months will potentially raise thoughts of 'here we go again' but we have to try and see this season as a fresh start and let go of any ideas that CW is a magician with special powers.
Good manager, great manager, out-of-his-depth manager, time will tell.
For now though, the past is the past, my Bladey Bladeness topped up to the max and I'm looking forward to seeing my Sheffield United back next season. My God, I've missed them.

COME ON YOU RED AND WHITE WIZAAAAAARRRDS!!!

It's a case of adopting ambition rather than expectation.

Ambition requires you to say, "fuck what's happened in recent years, time to get on with it and not be weighed down by history".

Expectation is always negative. If you achieve your goals it's no less than you expected anyway. If you fail, the atmosphere turns poisonous, and hangs there.

Time to look forwards.

It might happen next season, it might not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a couple of years.

Good OP. Been thinking the same myself about it possibly taking a couple of years. Hope people don't get themselves too overexcited, and then start calling for his head if we're not in the top 2 in November. Might need a bit of time but I think/hope we have finally found our man.

This is most definitely not a dig at our support, even though last season, when we weren't decidedly quiet at games, we were decidedly critical (we all read Roy's excellent 'views from' don't we?)

As far as I'm concerned, the self-deprecating, piss-taking fans from, and I will say it, tin pot clubs, can do one for me. Don't tell me fans of ANY team would be right behind them after anything like the shambles of the last 9 years following relegation from two divisions higher culminating in the utter dross of last season.

People can look all they like at the likes of 'plucky Crawley Town' and their loyal, let's-just-enjoy-the-ride approach to their new found league status of very recent years. I can tell you that their attitude had changed somewhat by the end of last season when they lost their final game 3-0 at home, and finished at the wrong end of the league, and that after just the briefest of flirtations with the relative 'big boys' of the third division (OK, league one if you must)

That's pretty obvious really. Without doubt, 9 years-worth of mis-management, broken hearts and the sense of being butt-f****d by players such as.....actually, I don't even need to name names, has robbed this ultra-loyal fan base of almost every last ounce of enthusiasm and hope....until now!

Now we have a proper fresh start. Early days yes, but so far, the signs are good. I've even dared to allow a little rush of excitement in my heart that reminds me of those times when we have enjoyed great seasons under the likes on DB and NW.

Rightly or wrongly, anything less than that qualifies as a disappointing season for me.
For others, it will be a different successful time that became the aspiration for a good season.
Thing is, we are where we are because we deserve to be, based on the performance of the club and players, oh yes, and a bit of bad luck.
As we have seen, the majority of those players have now either gone or will not feature again, at least not to the pathetic standard they have in the past.
That pervading attitude or dare I say 'spirit' of negativity seems to have been eradicated by 'one of our own'

As difficult and unpalatable as it is, I think we're going to have to take on a little of the 'upcoming Crawley' approach rather than the the 'we shouldn't be down here' frustration of the past and try and enjoy the ride for a while even if things don't look too good at first.
So, I think it might be time to try and let go of that 'desperate' feeling inside that we just have to get out this year.
That will only lead to more frustration and dare I say it, unreasonable demands on a manager with such a lot to do to reshape us into the type of team we feel we deserve, as the most loyal of supporters.

Failure to be top 2, even top 6 within the first 2 months will potentially raise thoughts of 'here we go again' but we have to try and see this season as a fresh start and let go of any ideas that CW is a magician with special powers.
For now though, the past is the past, my Bladey Bladeness topped up to the max and I'm looking forward to seeing my Sheffield United back next season. My God, I've missed them.

And breathe...........but superbly put GCB

I always give every manager a chance, I am sure we all do. All we can do is sit and watch the game, but it would be good if we could get back that "cauldron-like" atmosphere (as the press loved to call it back in the Bassett/Warnock era's) and the the team playing like "the Battling Blades" (again, the press used to love using that), we need the kop, in fact the whole ground, in full voice, to raise the adrenaline and get those players fired up to give 100% for 90 minutes, nothing less will do.

Come on Chris Wilder, step up, this is your time, this is OUR time.

UP THE BLADES!!!!!!!

Fuck all critics of our club who follow any other team.
Fuck anyone who lauds the bullshit dishes out by retarded Nigel 2 then retarded Nigel 3.
Attacking football is a must with a new team.

A rallying call indeed but entirely lacking in substance, punctuated by the nauseatingly parochial "one of our own" with a "Battling Blades" thrown in for good measure.

Have you really no higher aspirations than pining for Ol' Big Nose, Dinosaur Dave and "upanatem" football?

It's a very worthy attitude but if we do finish between 8th and 15th next season then people will be calling for the managers head.

When of course it's the board who should carry the blame, but they won't.

the board can only be criticised for their managerial appointments
as has been shown the board pays the highest wages in this division
once they get the right manager the other tools are at hand
it is always the manager that carries the blame , as he selects the players the formations and is responsible for results

top 2 should be attainable if a good manager gets sufficient players of decent quality in

every season we start anew
its a blank page
Chris has to write his own future

Same old, same old posts at the start of every season, we are all optimistic, new manager, new players, and all fans with high expectations for promotion, just like when Adkins came I even read posts claiming he was the next Messiah (LOL). It seems to go round in a full circle and is the same every year, no matter how the Blades perform, it goes like this win draw or lose, promotion or mid table 19,000 fans will turn up every home game and over 1,500 will go to away games, I know this because I am one of these dedicated fans, come rain, snow, or hail. If Wilder changes our fortunes than everyone is happy, if not the fans will be calling him all the same names that Adkins got..

I like everyone else just to see attacking football with passion as this will provide us with a good platform for promotion, I wish Wilder all the best it’s a tall order he has, I’m sure the fans will back him 100% if the results are going our way.

Point of order here, everybody seems happy to be giving Wilder 2 years, nothing wrong with that but he's almost starting with a clean canvass, Adkins (the latest anti-Christ) got one year and had a right sack o shite weighing him down.

A rallying call indeed but entirely lacking in substance, punctuated by the nauseatingly parochial "one of our own" with a "Battling Blades" thrown in for good measure.

Have you really no higher aspirations than pining for Ol' Big Nose, Dinosaur Dave and "upanatem" football?

Errr if it results in days like Darlington and Leicester away, then yes, you bet I do.
Oh yeah, and finishing 9th in the top division would do for starters.
I guess 'doing a Leicester' would be just perfect, we've got to start somewhere and after last season, I'd gladly take a Battling Blades play-off win. Wouldn't you?

Is it only me then who saw some really good football under "Old big nose" ? Brown / McCall in centre mid, Tonge / Ndlovu down the wings - I've got a lot of decent memories from that team.

Great post mate!!

Every silver lining must have it's cloud....

The S2 view on other sports:

I wish Joe Root would stop all this stylish, highly-skilled batting and simply swipe and heave at every delivery in the hope of slogging it into cow corner.

As for Danny Willett, never mind those fancy chips and pitches. Just hit it as hard; as long; as high as you can and hack your way round Wentworth in 93.

Hamilton, just put your fucking foot down and ram anyone who gets in your way...

Ali, stop that ridiculous dancing and girly jabbing. Just keep swinging aimless haymakers. You're bound to hit him eventually...

Errr if it results in days like Darlington and Leicester away, then yes, you bet I do.
Oh yeah, and finishing 9th in the top division would do for starters.
I guess 'doing a Leicester' would be just perfect, we've got to start somewhere and after last season, I'd gladly take a Battling Blades play-off win. Wouldn't you?

I think I may have mentioned this before: Bassett is a dinosaur and his "football" has been long abandoned everywhere except S2. Fans of Forest, Watford, Palace, Barnsley et al never mention him. Only in the crazy, ultra-parochial and deeply embarrassing world that is S2...

The S2 view on other sports:

I wish Joe Root would stop all this stylish, highly-skilled batting and simply swipe and heave at every delivery in the hope of slogging it into cow corner.

As for Danny Willett, never mind those fancy chips and pitches. Just hit it as hard; as long; as high as you can and hack your way round Wentworth in 93.

Hamilton, just put your fucking foot down and ram anyone who gets in your way...

Ali, stop that ridiculous dancing and girly jabbing. Just keep swinging aimless haymakers. You're bound to hit him eventually...

Fuck me what a bundle of fun you are. We might as well not bother turning up next year seeing as you know it's going to be crap. What's wrong with a bit of optimism? We've cleared the decks and are ready to rebuild. What more do you want?

I think I may have mentioned this before: Bassett is a dinosaur and his "football" has been long abandoned everywhere except S2. Fans of Forest, Watford, Palace, Barnsley et al never mention him. Only in the crazy, ultra-parochial and deeply embarrassing world that is S2...
I think you may have misunderstood my point Pinchy. I too would love to see us batter our way through this division (and the next) playing beautiful football, but for now, I'm pleased that we have someone who knows what it's like to play at a rocking Bramall Lane determined to see those days back.
If you're holding out for Mourinho, I'm sorry to tell you that boat has sailed. He's gone to a club that can offer a 30 mill contract.

What's Bassetts/Warnocks style of football got to do with the OP? He merely mentioned that they were great seasons we all enjoyed and would love to enjoy one like that again. You can still play good football while pressing the opposition and playing at a high tempo. Isn't that a large part of the uncleans way of playing?

Fuck me what a bundle of fun you are. We might as well not bother turning up next year seeing as you know it's going to be crap. What's wrong with a bit of optimism? We've cleared the decks and are ready to rebuild. What more do you want?

I'd like the optimism to be founded on something other than upanatem and battling.

I'd like people to yearn for the United of John Harris and the first season under Howard Kendall. I'd like people to remember that when upanatem quickly fades, as it always does, you're nowhere unless it's underpinned by the talent of proper footballers playing the game the right way. Remember Muckanettles Morgan - great for a couple of games, then came Portsmouth and....Yeovil. It's rubbish. It doesn't work.

One of the many S2 myths is that it's a choice between skill and passion. In truth winners have both in abundance and the latter is never, ever enough.

Believe me, if crude, simplistic, hoof and hope, but full of passion ale house football was the way to play the game then Barca, Real, Milan, the national teams of Brazil, France, Argentina, Italy and Holland and all the great teams would play that way. They didn't; they don't; they won't.

Back
Top Bottom