Ticks All the Boxes for Me

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

winnable would be pushing it i think, did not want city or these 2 sides that will just carry on scoring when 3-0 up but i do think we have a small chance

Red and white stripes both ends.
up the Blades .

I'll tell you what,if anybody doesn't think this is winnable,then they might aswell not turn up and give them the result now.UTB.

It's certainly winnable. It's not arrogant or even deluded to think that we can beat them.

They'll be a tough side to beat as they play a very dynamic game which is both exciting and refreshing to watch. But they're also not used to the rough and tumble of L1.

Saints are in a fine run of form and I hope it lasts, just not against us.

I hope we play our cup style from last season. No panic, patient and resolute. Then hit them on the counter

Without doubt the toughest game in a long time, last season included, these are not a hit and miss villa, or a relegation haunted Fulham but a well oiled, well drilled fast moving and efficient team.
I would have preferred almost anyone else as they would almost certainly shown us contempt, but the saints will still have it fresh in their minds how badly league 1 teams want to win and I believe will show us a lot of respect.
All that being said if we play a very disciplined game and don't allow them any time this is a game, with 20,000 blades behind the team we can win and without sounding deluded actually think we will win.
Who do we want in the semi's :)

I would have preferred the goal shy Liverpool or the misfiring Spurs or the fragile Newcastle - despite their terrific win last night and their recent upturn in results.

A home tie is the best we could hope for so thanks Psycho for sorting your mate out.

To be fair I would have been more worried about Bournemouth and Derby in that draw as a prem team may be a little complacent (like citeh were last night against perceived inferior opposition) as the champ sides play teams similar to us in their division.

My only concern is that, like Bournemouth, Saints have loads of goals in them and will play their strongest side as this represents their best chance of a trophy this year.
It will be a very tough ask to beat these guys but if they are as much as 1% below par or are not fully on their game then we have a sniff, being at home.

This is definitely a game to play 4-5-1 and to keep it as tight as possible. We will not dominate possession so need to be the Cup Tarts we know we are.

It will go one of two ways, I think. Either a flood of goals for them or a nervy one goal in it kind of game. L

Even if we lose, it's been another great Cup run - something that's becoming routine for us. As recently as 2012, Saints were in the Third division (2011/12) and, the year before they finished 7th in this League. Let's use this as a model of what can be achieved even though we're the only team in football who sell all their best players, unlike Saints...

Even if we lose, it's been another great Cup run - something that's becoming routine for us. As recently as 2012, Saints were in the Third division (2011/12) and, the year before they finished 7th in this League. Let's use this as a model of what can be achieved even though we're the only team in football who sell all their best players, unlike Saints...
I think you have your dates wrong there....we were in this division in 2011/ 2012, and we did not play Soton.

Southampton is THE toughest draw.

Chelsea would have played a second string, and judging by their performance v Shrewsbury doesn't look like there too fussed about the cup.

Southampton will play their strongest team and will be up for it - chance of silverware for the first time in god knows how many years.

Shame West Ham aren't still in the top 4 or we could at least comfort ourselves with the "We've already beaten one top 4 side this year" line.

Edit: West Ham are still in the top 4. Easy then, we're at home this time too.

Southampton have played 12 games this season, we have played 19. Only three times have they had midweek fixtures and this has allowed them nice training weeks, plenty of time to prepare well before each match. They've been able to play a settled side, and only 15 players have started league games.

But leading up to the quarter final their schedule gets tougher.

Sun Nov 30: Man City home
Wed Dec 3: Arsenal away
Mon Dec 8: Man Utd home
Sat Dec 13: Burnley away
Tue Dec 16: Blades away

We'll have to see if their legs are as fresh and preparation as good when they come to the Lane. I don't think it's unlikely for Koeman to pick the QF as the one where he feels he can rotate a bit. In any case, they may not be able to match us when it comes to motivation. I hope it will be on TV, because I'm really looking forward to this one.

It's certainly winnable. It's not arrogant or even deluded to think that we can beat them.

Southampton are currently 9/2 third favourites to win the League Cup, Sheffield United are 66/1 to win the cup.

There is a huge gulf in quality and budgets between the two squads. Of course its not impossible for United to win against Saints, but they are massive underdogs for good reason.

But they're also not used to the rough and tumble of L1.

You can flip that logic the other way and say Sheffield United aren't used to playing good Premier League sides full of internationals signed for big money.

Southampton have played 12 games this season, we have played 19. Only three times have they had midweek fixtures and this has allowed them nice training weeks, plenty of time to prepare well before each match. They've been able to play a settled side, and only 15 players have started league games.

But leading up to the quarter final their schedule gets tougher.

Sun Nov 30: Man City home
Wed Dec 3: Arsenal away
Mon Dec 8: Man Utd home
Sat Dec 13: Burnley away
Tue Dec 16: Blades away

We'll have to see if their legs are as fresh and preparation as good when they come to the Lane. I don't think it's unlikely for Koeman to pick the QF as the one where he feels he can rotate a bit.

Koeman has fielded very strong sides in all three League Cup games so far. All away games, against Millwall, Arsenal and Stoke. I see little reason why he'd change from this as its clear the club see this as a good opportunity for silverware and a route into Europe.

You've already stated Sheff United have played 7 more games than Saints, why is it Saints that won't be fresh compared to United and not the other way round? Even if Saints do rotate players they have more depth to their squad than Sheff Utd. They've been loaning out academy products to League One clubs above United in the table.

In any case, they may not be able to match us when it comes to motivation.

On what is that assumption based?

You can flip that logic the other way and say Sheffield United aren't used to playing good Premier League sides full of internationals signed for big money.

We're not used to it, but we're not that scared by it either.

Anyway, enough of this. All I can say is in years to come we'll look back on the Quadruple Assault Season with a warm glow.

Is it Ted Bates?

article-2228572-001C8F91000004B0-568_306x530.jpg

Or Kim Jong Un? :D

Is it Ted Bates?

article-2228572-001C8F91000004B0-568_306x530.jpg

Or Kim Jong Un? :D

That was a ridiculous debacle by some clueless former directors. Looked too close to former Pompey/Owls owner Milan Mandaric for comfort...

mandaric_600x410.jpg

I'm sure Blades fans wouldn't like it either if that monstrosity appeared outside Bramall Lane! :D

Thankfully, the replacement is much better...

ted-bates_2024658i.jpg

Southampton are currently 9/2 third favourites to win the League Cup, Sheffield United are 66/1 to win the cup.

There is a huge gulf in quality and budgets between the two squads. Of course its not impossible for United to win against Saints, but they are massive underdogs for good reason.

Just what the forum needed today, a bit of arrogance from a fucking Southampton fan. What a joke!

You have a very good team at the moment mate; enjoy it. But it's one moment in time. When I was a kid Southampton wouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as United.

Just what the forum needed today, a bit of arrogance from a fucking Southampton fan. What a joke!

Team 2nd in the English league system being favourites over a team that is 50th.

You have a very good team at the moment mate; enjoy it. But it's one moment in time. When I was a kid Southampton wouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as United.

When were you a kid? Because for the majority of the last 50 years Southampton have been higher in the English League system than Sheffield United.

Koeman has fielded very strong sides in all three League Cup games so far. All away games, against Millwall, Arsenal and Stoke. I see little reason why he'd change from this as its clear the club see this as a good opportunity for silverware and a route into Europe.

If you look at Southampton's fixture list those League Cup games were nicely put into a schedule where otherwise they played only once a week. Each cup game were followed by three or four weeks of weekend to weekend fixtures. In terms of fatigue, there has been little reason to rest players in any of those cup games.

You've already stated Sheff United have played 7 more games than Saints, why is it Saints that won't be fresh compared to United and not the other way round? Even if Saints do rotate players they have more depth to their squad than Sheff Utd. They've been loaning out academy products to League One clubs above United in the table.

The game will come at a time when your fixtures are piling up for the first time this season. Little niggles that players recover from if they have a full week till the next match, may mean they're a doubt if the next match is a couple of days later. It's been like this all season for us, but we actually have decent strength in depth for this level, as suggested by forum members on here rarely agreeing completely on our best line up. We seem to make three or four changes every match and although many have been enforced, it's meant that we have kept a large group of players reasonably match fit. Our results and performances are still improving, so we've proven already that we deal with a tight fixture list. You haven't. And you don't know what Koeman will do.

On what is that assumption based?

Motivation is always a huge part of cup upsets, I'm sure you acknowledge that. We were underdogs when we beat West Ham this season, and Aston Villa, Fulham, Charlton and Nottingham Forest last season. We've shown that we can cause upsets against teams that have better players than us. The same type of tactics, focus and motivation means we could have a chance against Southampton as well. Our players will definitely view the game as one of the highlights of the season. Having just played Man City, Man Utd and Arsenal, will your players regard Sheffield United away as one of their highlights?

You would think since they did the same as us in the very recent past (prem to league one plummet) they would have some humility. Evidently some of them don't and 1 and 1/4 seasons of being half decent has inflated someone's station.

You would think since they did the same as us in the very recent past (prem to league one plummet) they would have some humility. Evidently some of them don't and 1 and 1/4 seasons of being half decent has inflated someone's station.

I'm hardly saying anything controversial when I say the team 2nd in the Premier League is favourite to beat a team 48 places below them.

Back
Top Bottom