This sums SUFC up down to a tee

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Slim Man

Reaction score
James Shield @JamesShield1
CW says #sufc have been quoted some "absolutely ridiculous prices" in the transfer market. #twitterblades #starlive

Don't we think every other club in England is going to be quoted these 'absolutely ridiculous prices'? Why are we so special that we shouldn't pay these prices yet everyone else does?
We spend our whole transfer windows 'bidding' (by bidding I mean low balling teams then when they come back with a realistic valuation we run as far in the other direction as possible) for players, then say we tried for one or two but...

Time to put up or shut up Kev and Princey boy. Turn us into Bristol City, Wolves, Southampton, Norwich. Let us romp this league like a club like ours should or fucking do one, put us up for sale at a realistic price (not an absolutely ridiculous one, you hypocrite) and let someone else take us forward.

I'm not saying it's CW, he'd pay those prices if the board let him because let's face it if he doesn't get what he needs in he's going to be out on his arse before long. Then again, I suppose the board need to save some money for this summer when we do our annual manager sacking. It wouldn't be summer otherwise.

There's no bigger blade than me, Seth!

1166169.jpg

What annoys me is that we are so short sighted about the value of our players. We've never quoted mega books for our players and hence have never got them and we've certainly never said they aren't for sale.

Look at the amount of times the likes of Peterborough have sold players for well over 4-5 mil even in league 1.

We are so slow to understand that it's not the mid 90s anymore. Your not going to be able to pick up bargains cos clubs see players going for 100m quid etc.

And I reckon clubs are going to up the price because we've had a horrific start to he season and will be desperate for bodies - unfortunately that's where we are. The squads not good enough as it stands so we either pay some extra and try and improve it or we face a battle at the wrong end of the table

James Shield @JamesShield1
CW says #sufc have been quoted some "absolutely ridiculous prices" in the transfer market. #twitterblades #starlive

Don't we think every other club in England is going to be quoted these 'absolutely ridiculous prices'? Why are we so special that we shouldn't pay these prices yet everyone else does?
We spend our whole transfer windows 'bidding' (by bidding I mean low balling teams then when they come back with a realistic valuation we run as far in the other direction as possible) for players, then say we tried for one or two but...

Time to put up or shut up Kev and Princey boy. Turn us into Bristol City, Wolves, Southampton, Norwich. Let us romp this league like a club like ours should or fucking do one, put us up for sale at a realistic price (not an absolutely ridiculous one, you hypocrite) and let someone else take us forward.

I'm not saying it's CW, he'd pay those prices if the board let him because let's face it if he doesn't get what he needs in he's going to be out on his arse before long. Then again, I suppose the board need to save some money for this summer when we do our annual manager sacking. It wouldn't be summer otherwise.

There's no bigger blade than me, Seth!
So you want us to overpay for players then ? I mean it is not as if we haven.t spent large chunks of money over the last few years especially bearing in mind it is our sixth year in this division

I have many issues with our Board in terms of decision making but over the last 2-3 years but I find it difficult to criticise them for not backing managers enough to get us out of this division

So you want us to overpay for players then ? I mean it is not as if we haven.t spent large chunks of money over the last few years especially bearing in mind it is our sixth year in this division

I have many issues with our Board in terms of decision making but over the last 2-3 years but I find it difficult to criticise them for not backing managers enough to get us out of this division
Now EVERYONE is overpaying. Not just us.
It's not an excuse anymore.

What annoys me is that we are so short sighted about the value of our players. We've never quoted mega books for our players and hence have never got them and we've certainly never said they aren't for sale.

Look at the amount of times the likes of Peterborough have sold players for well over 4-5 mil even in league 1.

We are so slow to understand that it's not the mid 90s anymore. Your not going to be able to pick up bargains cos clubs see players going for 100m quid etc.

And I reckon clubs are going to up the price because we've had a horrific start to he season and will be desperate for bodies - unfortunately that's where we are. The squads not good enough as it stands so we either pay some extra and try and improve it or we face a battle at the wrong end of the table
THIS!
Che Adams should not have gone for less than £3mil but Club Twat decide to sell him third offer in. If we'd started him against Bolton and he got on the scoresheet it would have put another 200k on his value and probably a few more clubs would start sniffing and then as if by magic comes a bidding war.

We are so backwards.

What if we cannot afford to over pay it. All because you believe clubs are over paying (and are L1 clubs really doing this) doesn't mean we should
They'll be over paying, of course they will. Gillingham shouldn't be able to afford JET, Charlton have signed some top talent, as have Bolton who nearly went out of business last year. Last year Bury signed Leon Clarke, Tom Pope... Plenty of L1 clubs are doing it but there's a difference. We're the biggest club in the division and we're currently bottom. If we don't pay what is required we will go down to League 2. It really is that simple, write promotion off already.

THIS!
Che Adams should not have gone for less than £3mil but Club Twat decide to sell him third offer in. If we'd started him against Bolton and he got on the scoresheet it would have put another 200k on his value and probably a few more clubs would start sniffing and then as if by magic comes a bidding war.

We are so backwards.

You claim to be a supporter of my club yet you refer to them as Club Twat. Twat is indeed the word that springs to Bert's mind.

One aspect I don't get it that there are still serious bargains to be had away from these here shores, yet we NEVER look outside of the UK. We continue to moan about inflated prices for players but seemingly can't look past our own noses. Surely we have some sort of scouting set up in Europe at least?

They'll be over paying, of course they will. Gillingham shouldn't be able to afford JET, Charlton have signed some top talent, as have Bolton who nearly went out of business last year. Last year Bury signed Leon Clarke, Tom Pope... Plenty of L1 clubs are doing it but there's a difference. We're the biggest club in the division and we're currently bottom. If we don't pay what is required we will go down to League 2. It really is that simple, write promotion off already.
Did we over pay for our new goalie ?,Billy Sharp? John Brayford ? Did Brum overpay for Adams . If so can the club be blamed for selling him ?How do you know we didn't overpay for any of our signings or that other clubds actually overpaiud for theres ? A player is only worth what someone is prepared to pay. As most transfers are undisclosed nowadays we will never know

You claim to be a supporter of my club yet you refer to them as Club Twat. Twat is indeed the word that springs to Bert's mind.
Twat springs to your mind, is it written on your forehead by any chance?

Did we over pay for our new goalie ?,Billy Sharp? John Brayford ? Did Brum overpay for Adams . If so can the club be blamed for selling him ?How do you know we didn't overpay for any of our signings or that other clubds actually overpaiud for theres ? A player is only worth what someone is prepared to pay. As most transfers are undisclosed nowadays we will never know
Simon Moore was a pretty decent price if 250k is to be believed. About his value.
We overpaid for Brayford. Not sure about Sharp.

Brum in the current market got Adams at a bargain price. If he was Peterboroughs player he would have gone for no less than £4mil. If they don't pay it, do one. Wait while someone does. In the current market and the lack of english talent about SOMEONE will pay it. That situation with Harry always springs back to my head, makes me laugh and cry in equal measure.

We reject their bid thinking they'll come back with another. Then have to go back with out tail between our legs... 'actually... we unreject your offer, is that okay Mr Allam sir?'

Such a fucking joke.

Lets get one thing straight. If everyone is paying over the odds and inflated prices because there are no bargains anymore, we are NOT paying over the odds. We are paying the going rate.
This. 100000% THIS.

You mean like Nick Blackman,Che Adams and Jamie Murphy ?

The game has changed even in the short few years since then. Motherwell are gonna be adding an extra 500k to peoples prices now. The going rate for championship reserves has increased. I'm not saying we can't pick up a lower league gem, but there doesn't seem to be any sign that that's who we are after.

It's frustrating that we've made decisions like getting rid of a good right back, released half the squad, sold Adams to free up money/wages to wheel and deal and we're still not going to get anything over the line.

So you want us to overpay for players then ?

Yes. And it depends on what you mean by 'overpay'. Currently I'd say we need at least £10m spending on our midfield and £8m on the back four. And yes, I understand, that money isn't sat in the tea caddy in the pantry with a rubber band round it. It needs finding. Plus their wages.

But that is the reality of us going where we should be going.

I mean it is not as if we haven.t spent large chunks of money over the last few years especially bearing in mind it is our sixth year in this division

How much have we spent? Does anyone know? I ask this all the time, yet there's this massive assumption Cluff jizzed millions up the wall. I wish people would stop making these assumptions. If McCabe had given Clough what he wanted, we wouldn't have shipped five goals at Swindon and the two at home. We'd have been playing with decent centre backs - including Maguire, who we flogged. We'd be up there in the Championship now.

Rubbish. The managers have changed. you'd thik at least one of them would have had some sort of effect. We have sold players and the managers have been on zero cash to bring players in in perspective to the talent going out. One day, people will stop blaming those blameless and rescourceless for our failings and aim their criticism in the right direction.

pommpey

Simon Moore was a pretty decent price if 250k is to be believed. About his value.
We overpaid for Brayford. Not sure about Sharp.

Brum in the current market got Adams at a bargain price. If he was Peterboroughs player he would have gone for no less than £4mil. If they don't pay it, do one. Wait while someone does. In the current market and the lack of english talent about SOMEONE will pay it. That situation with Harry always springs back to my head, makes me laugh and cry in equal measure.

We reject their bid thinking they'll come back with another. Then have to go back with out tail between our legs... 'actually... we unreject your offer, is that okay Mr Allam sir?'

Such a fucking joke.

Brum (et al) know we are in the shit financially, so will buy players off us at a price they set. It's market management.

Person responsible for that? Supporters? Players? Manager?

pommpey

Don't need to overpay - just pay the going rate like every other fucking club.

We are such a tin pot unambitious club - it's a disgrace.

When we slip into L2 some on here will still be praising McCabe for not overpaying

Yes. And it depends on what you mean by 'overpay'. Currently I'd say we need at least £10m spending on our midfield and £8m on the back four. And yes, I understand, that money isn't sat in the tea caddy in the pantry with a rubber band round it. It needs finding. Plus their wages.

But that is the reality of us going where we should be going.

How much have we spent? Does anyone know? I ask this all the time, yet there's this massive assumption Cluff jizzed millions up the wall. I wish people would stop making these assumptions. If McCabe had given Clough what he wanted, we wouldn't have shipped five goals at Swindon and the two at home. We'd have been playing with decent centre backs - including Maguire, who we flogged. We'd be up there in the Championship now.

Rubbish. The managers have changed. you'd thik at least one of them would have had some sort of effect. We have sold players and the managers have been on zero cash to bring players in in perspective to the talent going out. One day, people will stop blaming those blameless and rescourceless for our failings and aim their criticism in the right direction.

pommpey
Brayford,Sharp,Moore,Hammond,Scougall, Clarke(the best striker in L1 according to some on here),Coutts,Wallace, etc etc..plus the wages and fees of the other loanees and free transfers for these so called big players (Basham anyone ?)

Where is the money going to be found. ? We shouldn't be spending that amount of money to get out of league 1.
I would argue Clough did have a positive effect. He got us to two semi finals a, and got us from the relegation places in L1 to the play offs within 18 months....his reward was to be sacked. Great decision making that and nearly on par with sacking Wilson when in the play offs and sacking Blackwell after 2 games(one of which was away at Cardiff where we drew one one after playing with 10 men for the majority of the game after Lowton got sent off)

We conceded 5 goals at Swindon but we also scored five. The issue was the home game and not the away one

The issue isn't that we aren't spending enough,i think we are,it is how that money is being spent

Don't need to overpay - just pay the going rate like every other fucking club.

We are such a tin pot unambitious club - it's a disgrace.

When we slip into L2 some on here will still be praising McCabe for not overpaying
How would you define ambition? Spend as much money as possible until we go up ?Who is praising McCabe.?..not seen that from anyone on here

Brayford,Sharp,Moore,Hammond,Scougall, Clarke(the best striker in L1 according to some on here),Coutts,Wallace, etc etc..plus the wages and fees of the other loanees and free transfers for these so called big players (Basham anyone ?)

Where is the money going to be found. ? We shouldn't be spending that amount of money to get out of league 1.
I would argue Clough did have a positive effect. He got us to two semi finals a, and got us from the relegation places in L1 to the play offs within 18 months....his reward was to be sacked. Great decision making that and nearly on par with sacking Wilson when in the play offs and sacking Blackwell after 2 games(one of which was away at Cardiff where we drew one one after playing with 10 men for the majority of the game after Lowton got sent off)

We conceded 5 goals at Swindon but we also scored five. The issue was the home game and not the away one

The issue isn't that we aren't spending enough,i think we are,it is how that money is being spent

Agree about the sackings

But clough was a penis. He fell out with players and we ended up the season playing about 6 fullbacks in the starting 11. He never addressed they major issues he'd caused by falling out with players and to my mind that's why we failed in the play offs

THIS!

We are so backwards.

Where were the bids of £3m from? Where were the bids of a couple of hundred grand over Birminghams offer? If Che was so undervalued, how come no one came in with a better offer than Brums?

After all, these things are done quickly by all other clubs so I'm guessing no one did.

How would you define ambition? Spend as much money as possible until we go up ?Who is praising McCabe.?..not seen that from anyone on here
With the TV deals etc the price of players has drastically shot up, the worry is that our Chairman can't/won't step up and meet the price, which is entirely his prerogative; it does leave you wondering what the short/medium term future of the Club is. Bleak doesn't begin to cover it, for me.

Our transfer policy is all about McCabe using sales to help close the ongoing deficit between operating costs and revenue. Until we have an owner rich enough to finance this gap out of his own pocket we will be stuck in this cycle of selling our best players and reinvesting at most 50% of the proceeds on inferior players.

Where were the bids of £3m from? Where were the bids of a couple of hundred grand over Birminghams offer? If Che was so undervalued, how come no one came in with a better offer than Brums?

After all, these things are done quickly by all other clubs so I'm guessing no one did.
If you don't get the offer you want, wait while you do. Why did we HAVE to sell him?

Well if we had defenders who could defend.......we would have won 5-0 away then and the home game would have been of no consequence ;-)
I'm afraid when you are building a squad virtually from scratch again for the umpteenth year, it's gonna cost money unless you want to do it slowly and gradually build up a team and squad.
It's great for Gillingham and the like....they can just sit in League one for years gradually building and improving, it's a great way of progessing if you have no great funds and the time to do it.
We don't have that time as a club, expectation is too high........We need more money to buy a quality squad capable of getting out of this division.....if that's not the plan, then McCabe or whoever should just come out and say it.....no promotion, we're gonna build a squad on a budget over a couiple of seasons.
It's all a self-fulfilling prophecy, we'll just end up not progressing with a new manager again...sacking him, then going through the same thing again and again.
It's one or the other slow progress, or spend the money.......we don't really get a choice in that.

The board fail to invest, then bemoan our luck when we fail to get promoted. They change the manager, aim for promotion, fail to invest and the cycle repeats itself...

We'll invest when we get to the champ. You won't get to the champ, because you don't invest.

Back
Top Bottom