Things are looking up if we can make the Play-Offs.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Woodwardfan

Woodwardfan
Reaction score
Looks like Preston are on a run and will secure the other automatic spot.

That leaves Swindon, MKD, Rochdale, Barnsley, Chesterfield, Bradford, Donny, Fleetwood remaining in contention for the four places in the Play-Offs with us.

Swindon and MKD are already there but do we fear them over 2 legs or even in a Wembley Final? We are not very good, but do we fear them?

Barnsley are looking particularly strong at the moment but can they maintain that until May? Saturday's game is coming at the wrong time for us but we will still be well placed for the Play-Offs even if we lose it.

Rochdale have mostly good days and some bad days but shouldn't we beat them over 2 legs?

Whichever team makes a late run of form will stand every chance of gaining promotion but they all know they will have to beat us to win it. Despite the disarray we are in, we will be well capable of beating all these other rivals now that Preston may be out of the way, they were the beefy bully boys who would steamroller us.

In the end event Barnsley along with MKD may be our biggest barrier to the Championship.

All to play for.

Really not sure what point you're trying to make WF? Li admire the optimism, but then go on to say 'MKD and Barnsley are our biggest barriers? Well yes, as they will be 2 of the other 3 sides in the playoffs that's a given!

I'd say considering we are miles behind Swindon and MK in terms of points and goals, and the fact that MK have beaten us to nil in both games this season, and the fact that we are absolutely dreadful doesn't fill ME with much optimism for the playoffs truth be told. Also, 5 of the 8 you mention have already beaten us at least once this season. Wouldn't say it looks great!

Really not sure what point you're trying to make WF? Li admire the optimism, but then go on to say 'MKD and Barnsley are our biggest barriers? Well yes, as they will be 2 of the other 3 sides in the playoffs that's a given!

I'd say considering we are miles behind Swindon and MK in terms of points and goals, and the fact that MK have beaten us to nil in both games this season, and the fact that we are absolutely dreadful doesn't fill ME with much optimism for the playoffs truth be told. Also, 5 of the 8 you mention have already beaten us at least once this season. Wouldn't say it looks great!

Having nil capacity to win a play off final is our biggest barrier, irrelevant of who we play.

Yes, MKD have beaten us twice in the league but we beat them in the cup which seems a more appropriate comparison to a play off game. Worst case scenario for me is a playoff final defeat to the Dingles

Reactions: Dkc
"We will still be well placed for the Play-Offs even if we lose it."

Have you not looked at the league table? We are beyond abysmal at home draw the 3 games at home, whilst those around us gain 2 points on us, we could well drop out, the rest are away and no away game is easy.

And "should we fear them"?

My view is they won't fear us, and if they don't they will throw everything at us.

The League table doesn't lie but we are not playing consistently well and I don't think anyone could confidently expect us to beat anyone over 2 legs at the moment. I've never known a team seemingly lose confidence and form so quickly. How do we get from Tuesday to Saturday form and confidence wise and this isn't the 1st time it's happened this season.

The League table doesn't lie but we are not playing consistently well and I don't think anyone could confidently expect us to beat anyone over 2 legs at the moment. I've never known a team seemingly lose confidence and form so quickly. How do we get from Tuesday to Saturday form and confidence wise and this isn't the 1st time it's happened this season.
Ithink fear of not reaching playoffs is the big factor in our game at times we are so nervous we encourage the opposition.
If we reach them that is when we will see this team at its best,no one can guarantee we will win them but we will will have a
bloody good chance.

Ithink fear of not reaching playoffs is the big factor in our game at times we are so nervous we encourage the opposition.
If we reach them that is when we will see this team at its best,no one can guarantee we will win them but we will will have a
bloody good chance.

We have run Tottenham close twice this season, gone down to QPR and outplayed them, beaten Southampton etc etc. Having thrown away our chance of automatic which is bad enough, we are now apparently fearful and unable to cope with Fleetwood and Crewe in the last month, I just don't get it.

Half of that team on Saturday put on a great performance at Wembley last season and the likes of Basham, Coutts, Davies have all played at a higher level. There really shouldn't be any excuses.

just out of interest apart from preston and bristol city who is playing consistently well

often as is said by blades fans we are ONLY 5th as we are terribly inconsistent then surely all those below us , through logic have been less consistent than us
We were not the only team to drop points on saturday ,,, were we
so why oh why do we beat our selves up so much , frustrating as it is we like the other teams after a play off spot dont win every game
thats why we arent 2nd but we are 5th because despite out protestations , we are less crap than those below us
we got stung by what has to be said was a terrific winner, better home v crewe than at wembley in late may

I think fear of not reaching playoffs is the big factor in our game at times we are so nervous we encourage the opposition.

Er, no. 'Fear of not reaching the playoffs' does not excuse our pitifully-bad and inconsistent form all season.

upload_2015-3-30_10-50-7.png

We haven't even got games in hand to console us any more. After Saturday, I think the best thing would be to drop out of the play-offs altogether. Apart from saving yet more hearbreak (and money) we could focus sharply on the outcome of this season. No more 'Cup runs', no more 'heroic failure in the playoffs'. This season would be seen for the disaster it has been.

We have run Tottenham close twice this season, gone down to QPR and outplayed them, beaten Southampton etc etc. Having thrown away our chance of automatic which is bad enough, we are now apparently fearful and unable to cope with Fleetwood and Crewe in the last month, I just don't get it.

Half of that team on Saturday put on a great performance at Wembley last season and the likes of Basham, Coutts, Davies have all played at a higher level. There really shouldn't be any excuses.
They are not excuses Jim it is fact did you go sat stands out like a sore thumb you will see the difference if we get there

The point I'm trying to make is that all the others aren't in such good form apart from Barnsley and maybe Donny. Of course we are beatable but so are they.

just out of interest apart from preston and bristol city who is playing consistently well

often as is said by blades fans we are ONLY 5th as we are terribly inconsistent then surely all those below us , through logic have been less consistent than us
We were not the only team to drop points on saturday ,,, were we
so why oh why do we beat our selves up so much , frustrating as it is we like the other teams after a play off spot dont win every game
thats why we arent 2nd but we are 5th because despite out protestations , we are less crap than those below us
we got stung by what has to be said was a terrific winner, better home v crewe than at wembley in late may

They are not excuses Jim it is fact did you go sat stands out like a sore thumb you will see the difference if we get there

It is true as you can see from the form stats that everyone in and around us are just as inconsistent but that doesn't make me feel any more confident that we could beat any of this division over 2 legs at the moment. If we're playing with fear against a team who had conceded 12 in their last 3 away games after our biggest win of the season then we are in trouble as far as I'm concerned.

It may be the case that the fear exists, my question is why ?

What is the evidence that the fear is in the players and the team and not just some fans. We had 14 shots to 5 on Saturday. I didn't see any evidence out on the pitch of nerves.

That leaves Swindon, MKD, Rochdale, Barnsley, Chesterfield, Bradford, Donny, Fleetwood remaining in contention for the four places in the Play-Offs with us.

Swindon and MKD are already there but do we fear them over 2 legs or even in a Wembley Final? We are not very good, but do we fear them?

Barnsley are looking particularly strong at the moment but can they maintain that until May? Saturday's game is coming at the wrong time for us but we will still be well placed for the Play-Offs even if we lose it.

Rochdale have mostly good days and some bad days but shouldn't we beat them over 2 legs?

Whichever team makes a late run of form will stand every chance of gaining promotion but they all know they will have to beat us to win it. Despite the disarray we are in, we will be well capable of beating all these other rivals now that Preston may be out of the way, they were the beefy bully boys who would steamroller us.

In the end event Barnsley along with MKD may be our biggest barrier to the Championship.

All to play for.

Whereas the rest of the teams are possibly saying:

"Sheff Utd. Used to be a bigger side but can't put a consistent run together. Leak needless goals, the midfield is wack and haven't had a strong strikeforce since the old king died. They always fuck the playoffs up anyway."

pommpey

What is the evidence that the fear is in the players and the team and not just some fans. We had 14 shots to 5 on Saturday. I didn't see any evidence out on the pitch of nerves.
And 58% to 42% posession & 4 shots to 4 which were on target says it all for me, any bugger can pass across the back four, for all our pissing about Crewe had as many good attempts on goal and if you're honest should have been out of sight by half time.

So if it's not down to nerves, not down to negativity then it's most likely lack of ability ?

7 games in the month you refer to (at the start of which we were giving the top 2 a real go), 8 points and 10 goals. There is clearly a problem somewhere.

On Saturday it was passing and finishing.

The other games this month it's been Turner which, to contradict myself, I think may well have made the players nervous. I've only ever played at a much lower level but it seems consistent throughout football if you've got a solid, reliable keeper that spreads confidence throughout the team. They've seen Turner let goals in at the near post, chuck the ball in his own net, and flap at tame crosses.

That, along with the CHs has been the problem this month.

Saturday if anything they were overconfident. Maybe stretching a point?

Whereas the rest of the teams are possibly saying:

"Sheff Utd. Used to be a bigger side but can't put a consistent run together. Leak needless goals, the midfield is wack and haven't had a strong strikeforce since the old king died. They always fuck the playoffs up anyway."

pommpey

The law of averages will apply one fine day and it just might come when we least expect it - a bit like Crewe winning at Bramall Lane for the first time. I think it might come on the day I decide not to go, so I'll stay at home next time!!

It is true as you can see from the form stats that everyone in and around us are just as inconsistent but that doesn't make me feel any more confident that we could beat any of this division over 2 legs at the moment. If we're playing with fear against a team who had conceded 12 in their last 3 away games after our biggest win of the season then we are in trouble as far as I'm concerned.

In this league anything bar playoffs is a failure for us we are a big fish and playing below our place in the pyramid (championship or even prem is where we should be ).the pressure this creates on the staff no other club in this league has to endure and that includes bristol city who have spent a large part of there history in the lower leagues with attendancers to match. we have no divine right to be anywhere but where we are right now but being a big club and having a big following creates problems the small clubs dont have there are very few clubs bounce straight back wolves being an exception. Once grounded in this turgid league the pressure is always on teams like us and the fear of failure due to the losses we incur transmitts to the staff it is something we have to overcome be it this season or next and we will but it would help if a fair number of fans would stop saying we have blown it cus we lose to crewe. they h ave conceded a lot of goals off an on all season but dont continually get hammered heaverly every game and having conceded heavily of late will have made big efforts to improve it i am
sure they never expected to win though,Crewe are one of these teams who play without the pressure we have and are a good footballing side who on there day as clough said can turn anybody over in this league and we must,nt forget after all that we are a league one team.the pressure is on lets see if the players and yes the fans (cus we have a part to play) can
respond in the right way starting at barnsley a team in form and no expectancy on them with a good young manager who is enjoying the ride as there is no pressure on him at present will be a tough game for us but we can come through.

if we go on other teams around us site theres the same fear m, the same questioning of the inconsistency , form in this league goes out the door from game to game , for every club in this division ç

Rochdale were in some right form then got tonked by neighbours oldham 3-0 , posh win a couple then lose , its not something we have exclusive to our selves

When we score first we look half decent but when we concede first we look nervous, clueless and lethargic.

If we bumble into the playoffs in 5th or 6th, the fear for me is conceding within the first 20 minutes and then spending the next 160 minutes passing it sidewards in the vain hope something will happen.

Its embarrassing the riches that NC has had this season and what he is seemingly going to deliver to his board of directors come May.

Er, no. 'Fear of not reaching the playoffs' does not excuse our pitifully-bad and inconsistent form all season.

We haven't even got games in hand to console us any more. After Saturday, I think the best thing would be to drop out of the play-offs altogether. Apart from saving yet more hearbreak (and money) we could focus sharply on the outcome of this season. No more 'Cup runs', no more 'heroic failure in the playoffs'. This season would be seen for the disaster it has been.

Maybe next season it would be better if we just didn't put in any form of promotion challenge. If we were mid-table all season it would save the heartbreak of failure.

To all of you pointing to the table as a guide do I need to remind you of when we finished third and played teams (Wolves) who finished well beneath us? Its a lottery and if we get there we have a chance. Law of averages says we have to win it one day.

Can it get any worse? March brought 3 defeats 2 wins and 2 draws with 5 of those 7 games at home.
That doesn't look good for any team that is looking to win three straight playoff games.

All to play for.

League form and previous results mean nothing in the play offs . Goes out of the window . Complete new knock out ball game , which we do seem to be good at . If / when we make the play offs , we will win them , as the type of football to be played will suit us better than a league game.

Still after that positive slant , Clough still has a lot to answer for IMO.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom