The tweaks at Preston

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bergen Blade

Reaction score
Nigel Clough's tactical tweaks at Preston included:

• Starting with 4-5-1
  • Switching to 4-4-2
  • Starting Jose Baxter in holding midfield
  • Starting Michael Doyle as the left sided of three central midfielder, in front of Baxter
  • Moving Doyle to left midfield as we switched to 4-4-2

Starting line up:

Howard
Davies McGahey Collins McEveley
Baxter
JCR - - - - Basham - - - - Doyle - - - - Murphy
Higdon

Later changed to:

Howard
Davies McGahey Collins McEveley
JCR Basham Baxter Doyle
Higdon Murphy

I never really considered that role for him, but I think Baxter did well as a deep lying playmaker. He's got so much ability and his composure and passing is excellent. He also looks fitter and very much motivated. Baxter reminds me a lot of Andy Reid in terms of their build and attributes. Reid has also been criticised for being overweight in the past, but has become much fitter the last couple of seasons. He has won Player of the Year both seasons since returning to Forest.

I think James Wallace also wants this role though.

Jose is my favourite player. He's a very confident player but plays for the team and gets on with whatever he is asked to do. He shows great quality in possession of the ball and really impressed me without it on Saturday, occupied the right positions in certain phases of play and made a few tackles. He looked excellent in a midfield role and I've always felt that's his best position.

Jose is my favourite player. He's a very confident player but plays for the team and gets on with whatever he is asked to do. He shows great quality in possession of the ball and really impressed me without it on Saturday, occupied the right positions in certain phases of play and made a few tackles. He looked excellent in a midfield role and I've always felt that's his best position.
Yes agree with everthing their Patrick Suffaux ,some people wanted rid of him at the end of last season aswell.Where would we be without him.

Iv'e said it before and i will say it again,he's by far the best technical player we have,and for me,you should always build your team round these sorts of players,he's a real game changer as he has already proved.

I mentioned myself as playing him in midfield but someone laughed it off,can't remember who but that doesn't matter as it is all about opinions.A player of his calibre is wasted up top,he needs to be in and around the ball,thats where we will reap our rewards.

Back
Top Bottom