The Story So Far...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Rollerball

Honourary Member Of Thunderbirds.
Reaction score
5th in the table, 6 points behind "the champions elect" with a game in hand, crowds of pushing 20,000, a quite well stocked squad (debatable of skill and ability levels), a decent if unexciting manager.
On the down side not scoring hat fulls of goals, a squad that is inconsistent, hardly, if ever get out of first gear until the last 10 minutes, the back four, never same four for more than two games in a row, and yet we are still in contention.
My personal opinion is only two, relatively consistent players are mark Howard and, say this quietly Michael Doyle.
And in any league a team cannot do consistently well with only two players playing consistently .
Can we get better, certainly, there is so much scope for improvement no wonder mr clough at times is pulling his hair out, for we have all seen this "mediocre" squad is capable of tearing through any team in this and in truth a lot in the league above, and holding its own against anyone.
Granted at this moment in time, not everything is quite right, but at the risk of being shouted down, things are not as bad as some people, to give perspective after two league defeats at the start, some were screaming "relegation", to them I would say, we are a mere 7 ish wins from safety :)
Life, as a blade is never easy but I would venture quite a few clubs up and down this fair land wouldn't mind being in as "terrible" position as we are.
Onwards and upwards blades, suspend your scepticism for a while and help push our blades on with more of the same support on and off the field.
UTB

Not sure if I have mentioned this before, Rollers, but we are, IMO, a couple of good strikers away from a pretty decent team that could rip this league apart.

If we cover that scenario, watch us rise and rise - if we don't then it will be a season of attrition and frustration, dominating possession without converting, getting suckered in critical games and then into the lottery of the play offs. When I say "lottery" I hope that our fine recent cup pedigree will stand us in good stead this time around - but I shan't be holding my breath - 'cos if we have so few goals in us still by then it will be a critical factor in yet another PO disappointment. Looks as though we are attempting to emulate Preston's record of most PO appearances without success, since we already have the most final appearances without success.

5th in the table, 6 points behind "the champions elect" with a game in hand, crowds of pushing 20,000, a quite well stocked squad (debatable of skill and ability levels), a decent if unexciting manager.
On the down side not scoring hat fulls of goals, a squad that is inconsistent, hardly, if ever get out of first gear until the last 10 minutes, the back four, never same four for more than two games in a row, and yet we are still in contention.
My personal opinion is only two, relatively consistent players are mark Howard and, say this quietly Michael Doyle.
And in any league a team cannot do consistently well with only two players playing consistently .
Can we get better, certainly, there is so much scope for improvement no wonder mr clough at times is pulling his hair out, for we have all seen this "mediocre" squad is capable of tearing through any team in this and in truth a lot in the league above, and holding its own against anyone.
Granted at this moment in time, not everything is quite right, but at the risk of being shouted down, things are not as bad as some people, to give perspective after two league defeats at the start, some were screaming "relegation", to them I would say, we are a mere 7 ish wins from safety :)
Life, as a blade is never easy but I would venture quite a few clubs up and down this fair land wouldn't mind being in as "terrible" position as we are.
Onwards and upwards blades, suspend your scepticism for a while and help push our blades on with more of the same support on and off the field.
UTB
Would agree with most of that except I don't see NC pulling his hair out in frustration, quite the opposite, he seems mildly content with the situation!

I'm bored of reading comments like 'only x points behind the leaders', 'room for improvement', 'waiting to gel' and 'picking up points when we're not playing well' etc. etc.

We haven't really improved at all since the start of the season from what I can see, and at no point have we been in the top 2. It's always 'jam tomorrow' with our club. We will (should!) finish in the top 6 by default as this really is an atrocious league, but we really should be having comments as 'we're x points ahead of 2nd/3rd' or 'the improvement all season has been incredible'. Sadly we never do.

We're a very odd team in my eyes. I will get shot down for this next comment, but our team consists of 11 solid players without star quality. We have no BAD players ever in our starting line up, but we don't really have anyone who will frighten opposition. We're doing OK, and we'll plod along as we are doing IMO, likely to finish roughly where we are. It isn't going to be exciting, but with a bit of luck and graft we might just stumble over the line by hook or by crook. The squad would need one hell of an overhaul were we to get up, but really that's a long way away and we can worry about it when we're there, I suppose! We are going to get there, at some point, right....?

I'm bored of reading comments like 'only x points behind the leaders', 'room for improvement', 'waiting to gel' and 'picking up points when we're not playing well' etc. etc.

We haven't really improved at all since the start of the season from what I can see, and at no point have we been in the top 2. It's always 'jam tomorrow' with our club. We will (should!) finish in the top 6 by default as this really is an atrocious league, but we really should be having comments as 'we're x points ahead of 2nd/3rd' or 'the improvement all season has been incredible'. Sadly we never do.

We're a very odd team in my eyes. I will get shot down for this next comment, but our team consists of 11 solid players without star quality. We have no BAD players ever in our starting line up, but we don't really have anyone who will frighten opposition. We're doing OK, and we'll plod along as we are doing IMO, likely to finish roughly where we are. It isn't going to be exciting, but with a bit of luck and graft we might just stumble over the line by hook or by crook. The squad would need one hell of an overhaul were we to get up, but really that's a long way away and we can worry about it when we're there, I suppose! We are going to get there, at some point, right....?
You won't get shot down by me your comments echo mine after the Dingle game and the rest of your post is pretty much blob on

With a scoring rate of 1.4 goals a game we just have to hope the defence starts resembling a brick wall because reading negative Nigel's comments he isn't bothered about signing another striker and still believes Baxter is a frontman.

If we go up this season we will have been very lucky and it will more likely be down to a batting collapse by PNE, Bristol or Swindon than by us being brilliant.

A win and folk talk us up...a loss and it's sack the manager. .sack the board etc. .

Broadly agree and, Upton Blade, it's not that black and white. There's no doubt that NC has built up a deal of respect and goodwill thanks to our performances towards the end of last season. However, a football team is like a shark - stop moving and you die. No doubt we're weaker than the team that finished last season and the reasons (loss of Brayford, Maguire and Coady) are well documented. However Bristol City and Preston have added to their teams and this is showing in their results.

We're still in 5th position, but there's no room for complacency based on that (flattering?) statistic. We're just not convincing. The team is not auto material and the tactics can be utterly baffling.

I may be in a minority of one on this, but I fancy the play-offs this year. Unless we make some serious investment in a couple of quality, injury-proof, game-changing players (unlikely) I can't see us finishing top t w o.
Can't believe I'm the only one that wants to experience that sense of elation I have seen opposing fans experience more times than I would like. Clough has a decent record in knock out games and could be the manager to break our dismal run of play-off defeats.

Back
Top Bottom