The Shred End?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I’d be all for it if his family approved. Can’t see why not. True there are other worthy claims (not least Dooley himself) but Shred dedicated his entire adult life to the Blades and Blades supporters

The BL stand could still be sponsored in the future, but instead of it saying “The Jessica Ennis Stand” the wording on the top of stand could read “The Shred End” You wouldn’t officially buy a ticket for the Shred End, you’d buy it for the SkyBet Stand or whoever sponsors it in a given season. But in the future, fans would come to refer to it as the Shred End.

I get the sentiment - but aren't petitions generally for when you're fighting or campaigning *against* something.

In this case the club have said they will listen to the fans, and to their great credit, explicitly recognising who is important right now, they have said they will respect the wishes of the family.

I think the club and the fans should work *together* on this to come to decision which meets the approval of the family; for me a petition is not the right way to go about that.

As a club put through all that shit because of a petition a petition is the last thing we need or should have.

Take it down.

Couldn't agree more. If his family want it then the club should discuss it but why heap pressure on them and the club with this ridiculous if well meaning petition.

Appears in this day and age forming an online petition is the way of making a name for yourself rather than changing something.

Why ? The idea or until his family decide what they want ?
Shred wasnt interested in receiving Best supporters award at the 125 do so I assume he wouldnt be keen on having a stand named after him. He was a devout SWP member so I think he believes everyone is equal. It wouldnt surprise me if he doesnt like too much fuss over him. When I introduced my son to Shred after our 3-1 win at Blackpool in August 2008, I told my son that he is a LEGEND as he goes to every football matches and organises coach trips etc, Shred was embarrassed at me calling him a legend. He is a very modest person who helps anyone.

Last time I spoke to Shred was at the Moor last summer so I dont know his views on the BL stand being named after Jessica Ennis. He may feel horrified at the idea of Jessica's name being removed and being replaced by his name. His close friends and family will know best

whilst its very sad, i feel his passing should be marked by the club, i dont think naming a stand after him would be right, it should be reserved for players and managers. Whatever happened to naming the john street the mel rees stand ?
It's all about opinion. For me, Shred is more of an iconic figure of our club than just about any player I can recall. Based on longevity, loyalty, loveableness, dedication, financial input, I think he wins hands down.

It's a great idea for me, providing his family agree.

UTB

It's all about opinion. For me, Shred is more of an iconic figure of our club than just about any player I can recall. Based on longevity, loyalty, loveableness, dedication, financial input, I think he wins hands down.

It's a great idea for me, providing his family agree.

UTB
At the end of the day ,players and managers are employees of the club ,fans are the lifeblood and I agree with you he is the ultimate iconic figure. It all fits for me as long as the family wish it. I would rather look at Shred on a Saturday and recall our history ,than Jess Ennis or Arnold Laver or any other company who want to buy it far a few quid.

How did he die, if i'm alright to ask?

Would he want this? He always came across as unassuming and I belive he turned down the chance of an award at the 125th celebration as he didn't want to be seen to be above any other fan.

As he was so associated with away games to many people maybe renaming the Travel club after Shred?

(All depending on his family's wishes of course)

The key word in the petition is "consider", there are no demands being made it's just a way of the fans being able to put this forward to the club in order for it to be discussed seriously.

If the club after speaking to the family decide not to name the stand after him, then fair enough.

The key word in the petition is "consider", there are no demands being made it's just a way of the fans being able to put this forward to the club in order for it to be discussed seriously.

If the club after speaking to the family decide not to name the stand after him, then fair enough.

But lines of communication are already open with the club, who have already responded in a positive and thoughtful way.

Sorry I can't post the link to the article from my phone but it's in the other thread.

Basically it says suggestions can be sent to the info@ email address, and from there the club will liaise with the family and respect their wishes.

This seems like a good way forwards.

But lines of communication are already open with the club, who have already responded in a positive and thoughtful way.

Sorry I can't post the link to the article from my phone but it's in the other thread.

Basically it says suggestions can be sent to the info@ email address, and from there the club will liaise with the family and respect their wishes.

This seems like a good way forwards.

Agree and the lines of communication are open.

Please dump this petition, it's twatter mindlessness

I didn't make the petition by the way, just shared it to see what other Blades thought.

Agree and the lines of communication are open.

Please dump this petition, it's twatter mindlessness

I'm struggling to see the problem with it. It's not disrespectful and isn't making any demands.

If you don't want to sign it then fine, but why take it down? 500+ people have already signed.

I'm struggling to see the problem with it. It's not disrespectful and isn't making any demands.

If you don't want to sign it then fine, but why take it down? 500+ people have already signed.

Because by their very nature petitions are demanding, pressurising, or even confrontational, all of which are inappropriate in this context.

I don't think the content is that relevant: it could contain the best suggestion in the world, but it is a petition.

Emailing the info@ address, from where suggestions will be passed on to the family for them to consider, seems to me to be a better way forward.

Petitions can be an effective way of expressing popular opinion but I think their use here is misplaced.

How about Shreds Garden?

A little piece of BDTBL for all departed Blades.

Put it another way, someone has lost a loved one. The last thing they may want is a fuss over stands being named after him or anything else. They may want to grieve in private. If the club had made a contrary statement that they wouldn't consider such an action then a petition may be indeed what was required but it all seems a bit previous. Just seems that because a number of people have clicked a button via twitter or Facebook the world has to react.

What's wrong with letting a little time pass and seeing what the wishes of the people who matter most are? If in a week or so his family want it and the club agrees then it will move forward. No petition required. I don't disagree with the idea at all but it shouldn't be at the behest of an online petition.

The idea. If fans want to call it that, great, I'd join in, but 'officially' naming it that is not something I'd go for.

I know exactly where you're coming from but it'd be better than "The Jessica Ennis Stand".

Back
Top Bottom