The resurrection of Sheffield United

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hodgyman

Reaction score
What an achievement for Chris Wilder and his staff in bringing back our Sheffield United.

Chris Wider has done what he said he was going to do. He got rid of the dead wood from the playing squad, re-energized those that remain, recruit players that want to do their best for United and adopted a go & get at them approach to games. He has created a "we are all in this together" atmosphere in the playing staff, the club and the supporters.

His staff deserve credit too for their contribution. The superb free kick at Scunthorpe was probably engineered by Alan Knill. The new fitness coach has made a remarkable difference in the condition of the players, not least Paul Coutts. For the first time since he arrived at United, he went past the opposition using pace and lasted 90 minutes without seeming to fade.

Thank you

What an achievement for Chris Wilder and his staff in bringing back our Sheffield United.

Chris Wider has done what he said he was going to do. He got rid of the dead wood from the playing squad, re-energized those that remain, recruit players that want to do their best for United and adopted a go & get at them approach to games. He has created a "we are all in this together" atmosphere in the playing staff, the club and the supporters.

His staff deserve credit too for their contribution. The superb free kick at Scunthorpe was probably engineered by Alan Knill. The new fitness coach has made a remarkable difference in the condition of the players, not least Paul Coutts. For the first time since he arrived at United, he went past the opposition using pace and lasted 90 minutes without seeming to fade.

Thank you

Indeed ....... he's had a big job on clearing out a load of crap and replacing as much of the underperforming squad as he could, despite the half-hearted financial support from the Board.

Still a lot of work to do and we're clearly work in progress because the first 11 are still not top two material and we have little depth of quality on the bench to cover for injuries / suspensions / loss of form etc.

He seems to be increasing the work-ethic of the squad as well and injecting them with a bit of bottle, sadly lacking for 3 / 4 years !! :rolleyes:

UTB & FTP

I think this forum deserves some praise for this 'resurrection'. Last season a number of posters expressed their concerns that there seemed to be no-one at the club who we could identify ourselves with. This (apart from the odd season) has been apparent for sometime.

Not sure if the club directors read this forum but it's more than a coincidence that the appointment of Wilder has led to not only an upturn in our fortunes but also a feeling amongst most of us that at last we have a manager who is managing in a style that we all feel comfortable with.

Not there yet.

Still lack threat in the attacking third, and getting by more with organisation and tighter defending.

However, I reckon it will get better over time and with patience.

That's about as succinct a critique as we need, well said Grizzly.........of course there's room for improvement, anyone would think this has been a project that's been evolving for a couple of years. In no time at all Wilder has achieved something remarkable. No rewards for that just yet, but it's worth identifying where we were and where we are now. Surely anyone with half an eye can recognise the improvements and progress we're making?

For me the most pleasing aspects have been the mental attitude of the players, both the ones that have come in and some of those that were already here (I'm looking at you Mr Coutts). This has manifested itself in the way we didn't give up after going down to 10 men and then a goal down at Scunny. And also he's addressed the goalkeeping and defensive problems we had. Last night the 2 centre halves and the keeper were superb and most successful teams get this right first.

I still think the midfield needs working on, I don't think we're strong enough and felt we've been over-run in that area in the last 2 home games v Peterboro and Bristol Rovers.

Have I missed something? have we already got promoted?

We are getting results and that is all that matters right now, hopefully for CW the rug is not pulled from under him in January.

We are heading in the right direction and CW at least recognises there is more work to do.

It's easy to enjoy things on the back of five wins and a draw. The last two home games have been close affairs that could've maybe gone against us but they've been thoroughly entertaining. We're playing some genuinely attacking football, pressing high up the pitch, moving it with tempo - all the things that Adkins promised and failed on.

We still have weaknesses across the pitch, but we're not doing the David Weir "transition period" at the moment where we look utterly hopeless and can't wait. Give us more of the last few games and Wilder will get the patience and backing of the fans, something that no other recent manager has earned a right to.

It's easy to enjoy things on the back of five wins and a draw. The last two home games have been close affairs that could've maybe gone against us but they've been thoroughly entertaining. We're playing some genuinely attacking football, pressing high up the pitch, moving it with tempo - all the things that Adkins promised and failed on.

We still have weaknesses across the pitch, but we're not doing the David Weir "transition period" at the moment where we look utterly hopeless and can't wait. Give us more of the last few games and Wilder will get the patience and backing of the fans, something that no other recent manager has earned a right to.
I think the entertainment in the last two home games have outdone all last season.

Real football games with end to end stuff, good football mixed in with mistakes from both teams.

Good teams giving us problems is great if we stand up to them and come through with the points.

A lot still to do and improve on but progress and entertainment will do for now!

I'm delighted with the recent form. It's great to see and maintain that Wilder is a good manager.

I'll be convinced when, come 31 Jan 2017 we haven't parted with three or four of our players we have come to rely on to get results and bought shit to replace the clearly out-of-place talent.

I will be really convinced when we finish in one of the two top positions in the division.

I will be entirely convinced if we make it and McCabe (remember him?) fulfils his promise and strengthens the squad further to stay in the Championship.

pommpey

I'm delighted with the recent form. It's great to see and maintain that Wilder is a good manager.

I'll be convinced when, come 31 Jan 2017 we haven't parted with three or four of our players we have come to rely on to get results and bought shit to replace the clearly out-of-place talent.

I will be really convinced when we finish in one of the two top positions in the division.

I will be entirely convinced if we make it and McCabe (remember him?) fulfils his promise and strengthens the squad further to stay in the Championship.

pommpey

I will be happy when six loaves and two fishes feed five thousand people, a man parts the waters of the Red Sea with a staff, and I see someone turn come water into wine.

As for McCabe keeping his promises? Come on you can't expect miracles.

wow after 4 games we where going down after 10 we are going up :rolleyes:

wow after 4 games we where going down after 10 we are going up :rolleyes:

But that in itself is a huge part of this thread - to be where we are now after the first few games makes the job that CW and his staff have done even better!

6 in the league without defeat now! Something we didn't manage throughout the whole of last season.

Chris is doing a great job, having come through that baptism of fire. (Still remember him talking about 'the hardest week in his career' following on from the Millwall game, when he travelled home apart from the playing squad.)

the half-hearted financial support from the Board.

Are you serious? Sure we haven't bought Ronaldinho, but the board paid off how many over the summer? And brought in how many? And for what fees? Whilst covering what annual losses?

I'm up to my eyeballs in red wine right now so I can't begin to go in to the detail, but the board have backed CW perfectly well in my opinion.

Are you serious? Sure we haven't bought Ronaldinho, but the board paid off how many over the summer? And brought in how many? And for what fees? Whilst covering what annual losses?

I'm up to my eyeballs in red wine right now so I can't begin to go in to the detail, but the board have backed CW perfectly well in my opinion.

Yes I'm perfectly serious ......

I didn't expect big money signings as they're not necessary at L1 level, however, we still have glaringly obvious areas of the squad which need attention ( and have done for some time) and if we had only done what we have done but in the summer, before the season started, we would be in a much better position than we are now.

I'm delighted that we've improved ....... but it wasn't hard to improve on last seasons squad as the tea lady had more fight about her than the majority of the players.

We have actually spent comparatively little money whilst slashing the wages budget ( from an unsustainable level ) and the Board have paid off the disasters that they sanctioned ........ no sympathy from me there mate ;)

As for covering losses ....... how many Board's of directors in the 92 clubs don't cover losses every year ? Its part of the job description imho :rolleyes:

UTB & FTP

Not sure I agree with "the board have backed wilder perfectly well" SJ.

I'd be willing to bet that the total cost of our incomings and compensation for released players is less than the money raised from the sale of DCL and Adams, this is on top of the massive savings we've made on wages: Wilder's budget is less than Adkins' was.

As for the owners covering losses: I thank them for it, but I don't think it's particularly admirable: the modern FC owner should expect to cover losses of a team outside the PL.

That being said, there is no line of investors around the corner, to put it simply: The investment/owners could be better (eg Derby), could be worse (eg Blackpool).

Back
Top Bottom