The "Pub League" Myth

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Bohemian

Reaction score
Plenty on this forum write disparagingly about the quality of League One, describing it as "the Pub League", "this shit league", "this god forsaken league" and worse.

The "Pub League" tag was used by Blades fans to bait 'the dark side' when they were relegated to the third tier in 2010. When we joined them a year later my expectations of the quality on offer were still coloured by memories of our two 1980s spells in the lower leagues when overall standards were pretty turgid.

To my eyes, things have improved immensely in the intervening 30 years. Almost without exception, teams are fit and well organised. Individual technique has improved as players have had to adjust to games being played at a quicker tempo, placing greater demands on passing, movement and keeping possession.

Defensive errors are invariably punished, as we found to our cost last season (e.g. Chesterfield (A), Gillingham (A) and Peterborough (H) ) and easy points are a rarity.

What's more, winning automatic promotion from the so-called Pub League requires a squad with the ability and momentum to compete effectively at a higher level. An analysis of the 10 teams occupying the top two berths in League One over 5 seasons, from 2009/10-2013/14, reveals that 3 (Southampton, Norwich and Bournemouth) are in the Premier League, 6 remain in the Championship and only 1 (Doncaster) has been relegated back to League One.

So isn't it time to give this very competitive league the respect it deserves, enjoy the generally high standard of football on offer and accept that getting out of it was never going to be easy?

Plenty on this forum write disparagingly about the quality of League One, describing it as "the Pub League", "this shit league", "this god forsaken league" and worse.

The "Pub League" tag was used by Blades fans to bait 'the dark side' when they were relegated to the third tier in 2010. When we joined them a year later my expectations of the quality on offer were still coloured by memories of our two 1980s spells in the lower leagues when overall standards were pretty turgid.

To my eyes, things have improved immensely in the intervening 30 years. Almost without exception, teams are fit and well organised. Individual technique has improved as players have had to adjust to games being played at a quicker tempo, placing greater demands on passing, movement and keeping possession.

Defensive errors are invariably punished, as we found to our cost last season (e.g. Chesterfield (A), Gillingham (A) and Peterborough (H) ) and easy points are a rarity.

What's more, winning automatic promotion from the so-called Pub League requires a squad with the ability and momentum to compete effectively at a higher level. An analysis of the 10 teams occupying the top two berths in League One over 5 seasons, from 2009/10-2013/14, reveals that 3 (Southampton, Norwich and Bournemouth) are in the Premier League, 6 remain in the Championship and only 1 (Doncaster) has been relegated back to League One.

So isn't it time to give this very competitive league the respect it deserves, enjoy the generally high standard of football on offer and accept that getting out of it was never going to be easy?

We have to give it respect it deserves , weve been in it for 5 seasons and still cannot get out of it. Perhaps at first we lived on the big club syndrome , but not anymore. The league seems to get stronger and more tactical aware every season . If we dont make it this season , its not the league that will have the tag

UTB

So the pub league's got better then?

its easy to say its disgraceful

but man city were here not too long back and only just got out
half of the current prem have been in here so therews no shame attatched to it

in fact swansea spent many may years dreaming of being in here

teams like forest twice european champions found it wasnt easy
leeds another european trophy winning team , didnt cake walk it
aston villa won the euiropean cup came to this division , quite amazingly didnt win every game 5-0
the notion its a league full of walk overs is well fucking idiotic

the notion its a league full of walk overs is well fucking idiotic
No problem :)

Kev, Jim and Princey will be happy to know they have a market for their 6th Season in League 1 Anniversary shirt ...................... :rolleyes:

div 3 league of prem teams in it in last 30 years

leeds
sheff utd
sheff weds
nottm forest
norwich
southampton
aston villa
man city
coventry
wolves
blackpool
bradford
oldham
swansea
burnley
palace
qpr
hull
palace
stoke
reading
cardiff
birmingham
barnsley
a lot of the above have had far longer in the top league than us since 85 , and still didnt piss league one
we are not alone

This league is fucking wank and last seasons was the wankest
no it wasnt bristol city were excellent as were mk dons , bet you 100 quid they dont struggle in the shiteist championship in living memory
and preston will survive

no it wasnt bristol city were excellent as were mk dons , bet you 100 quid they dont struggle in the shiteist championship in living memory
and preston will survive
Bristol city were fucking toss , saw them play a few times back four had more holes in it than a south yorkshire police statement
Didnt see mk dons but we finished just outside the play off's and we were abject

no we werent we were average, which wasnt good enough
saw plenty worse sides plying their trade in the championship
saw mk dons destroy man utd they didnt look pub league

blackpool were abject
wigan were abject

yet many fancy them , funny ole game

hope we are as fucking toss as bristol city were

We have to give it respect it deserves , weve been in it for 5 seasons and still cannot get out of it. Perhaps at first we lived on the big club syndrome , but not anymore. The league seems to get stronger and more tactical aware every season . If we dont make it this season , its not the league that will have the tag

UTB

Simple rule to this league and it's get out at the first attempt or you end up becoming trapped. Although the season Donny got promoted was the season we should have done it, the league was at it's most weakest then.

the trick is to collect more points than 22 other teams ,
we got 90 once and it wasnt enough
could get 82 and get out , timings everything
our time is now
always thought we could do it , pretty positive this year will see us achieve it , as all the elements look better suited

It's still a cacky poo poo league though, made only better by the cackier, poo pooier league below it.

It's crap...we've been crap and you just end up getting bogged down in all the crap...'I want to break free'

Of course it's a pub league, proven by the fact the management both of club and the team are happy to start another season in it without centre halves.

Of course it's a pub league, proven by the fact the management both of club and the team are happy to start another season in it without centre halves.
Weird init, everyone (i fink) including Clough :eek: thought we needed Centre Backs

I am gonna wait until KO next Saturday before going Jihad ..........................

Agreed. Glad someone got round to saying this.

That would be accepting where we are deserves respect ............. it doesn't

Where we are is disgraceful .................. and everyone reponsible should hang their heads in shame

This. I don't agree that we started off with too little respect, as other have suggested. Quite the opposite - successive managers have shown too much respect to the opposition. Let's hope now we have a good manager this will stop

UTB

Weird init, everyone (i fink) including Clough :eek: thought we needed Centre Backs

I am gonna wait until KO next Saturday before going Jihad ..........................

They have got till the end of September, I'm still worried about having single digit points come then.

Not sure if it's a more competitive division. Seems like more clubs come steaming up from none league and then hit a brick wall at this level. They have very little to lose. Look at Yeovil, Crawley and Stevenage. Burton Albion next I fancy.
A club wit our facilities and support will always attract investment to put us higher up the league. We are still here because of misfortune and poor decision making.
Hopefully, this is the season we come back.

Hopefully this is the season we finally get out and never look back a la Soton, Swansea, Norwich, Bournemouth. No use getting out and then looking over our shoulder every year like Wednesday

Never done pre season friendlies but I have this year and I like what I've seen.
This manager likes to play football as it should be played to feet and penatrive.
He knows we need a centre back or two but I reckon these will come in via the loan market there just dos'nt seam anybody out there at the moment for a permanent signing and this manager won't just sign anybody.

That would be accepting where we are deserves respect ............. it doesn't

Where we are is disgraceful .................. and everyone reponsible should hang their heads in shame

You're wrong. This division deserves respect as do all the leagues. One failing we have had over the last four seasons is our expectation that we are billy big bollocks therefore we shouldn't be in this division. And have we been brought down a peg or two? Fucking right we have. More than once.
Disgraceful that we are (still) here? Maybe... But respect every single team in this division and its supporters...beat them all, win the league, yes, but don't disrespect them, coz we are amongst them. And we are there not because we are a big club. We are there because we desreve to be.
See you at Gillingham on Saturday.

Then you'll have a little self-important tantrum, will you?...

If you seriously think that NA doesn't realise we need central defenders then you're dafter than you appear, and that's quite something already..

I don't agree that its a pub league, its not .... but it is an "agricultural league !!

Its a league where the refereeing standards are so crap, consistently crap, as perfectly demonstrated by Scougal taking a wrestling throw at Bradford last season, with not even a foul given !! :eek:

We deserve to be in it because we haven't used our financial muscle, nor have we sufficiently resourced the escape plan. Successive regimes have assumed that because we are a big Club ( note: not a "massive" Club ) we should be able to prevail. Financial support for the managers has been sporadic, sparse and usually too late to make a difference.

Its not as easy to escape this league as many thought and whilst I agree, we should and must respect other Clubs and their supporters ( unlike the arrogant piggy scum across in South Barnsley ) we should not afford them the opportunities to get one over on us.

This league isn't good quality, sides are mostly hoofy and physical and come to BDTBL to park the bus and frustrate us to boredom, followed by applying a "sucker punch". We fell for that one multiple times over the last 3 / 4 seasons. Teams are fit & organised but we have to be just as fit, just as well organised and make our technical players dominate games instead of watching them pass us by.

The problem has been that WE are simply unprepared to get out of this league; we have had too many miniature players who are ineffective, few effective striker options since Mr Evans departure, leaky defence and questionable tactics both home and away. This is why we have performed well in Cup games against "better quality" opposition, but struggled to compete in the league games.

In short ...... it's our own fault we are still here ..... there have been opportunities along the way to redress that and we have failed to capitalise on them !! :(
UTB & FTP

The Bohemian i get your point, but the competitiveness of this division doesn't necessarily mean that the quality is something to behold. English football has changed and here is my take on it.

Premier League - Personally i think that the Premier League has regressed over the last few years. With the exception of the top 4-6 teams in there, the rest struggle to compete with them. Those that get close are almost victims of their own success. The Europa League sides struggle to make the money in the Europa League, but need to invest in bigger and more expensive squads, generally this results in the second season syndrome.

Prior to this you get sides pushing for the top 6 or having a real go in the cups, they have the momentum, play a long season and then within July they're right back into the qualifiers for Europe.

Championship - I remember when Wigan went up in the early noughties and they were a big, physical side, compared to United they dominated in the air, they bullied through midfield and alongside them were Pompey. Nowadays the Championship is filled with failed premiership sides, still big, but rather than being a side of Kevin Davis' they tend to be more athletic and pacey sides. The games i saw on TV last year, the football looked good and perhaps with the exception of the bottom 6-8 sides, its really a competitive division. Thats not to say that theres 16-18 teams able to win the league, but the mid table sides (Wednesday, Leeds etc) are capable of putting a run together and reaching the play offs.

League One - So its a tough division to get out of if you don't bounce straight back, but for sides that put a good strong squad together it looks, from the 5 years we've spent down here that the key things to push on are good strikers. They tend to make the difference. I see many similarities as well to the physical Championship from a decade or more ago.

The thing in League one though is that whilst the top sides tend to have Quality and Physicality, the mid table sides and below tend to have a different attitude. They play to the opposition, rather than to their own strengths.They play as the underdogs and with that spirit. So it looks very competitive, but often its a case of strangling the opposition. Lots of smash and grab results.

You could argue that over a season its no more competitive, because the big spenders tend to fight it out still.

In terms of football and the opposition we've seen though, its a long way off the Championship for quality. I've never called it a pub league myself (i don't think), but it is shit to watch and the sooner we're out of it the better!

I think it's going to be very interesting to see how we approach the first game at Gillingham. Potentially tough game, a long trip against a rejuvenated side under Justin Edinburgh.

I think it would be naive to just go 'gung-ho' but at the same time, I hope we approach the game in a positive manner. Injuries notwithstanding, I think we should see from the line-up, particularly centre mid Basham/Wallace/Baxter how the manager will approach it.

I know it's only the first game but I think it could be very important to get a win, boost confidence, set down a marker - a bit like when we won 3-0 at West Brom on the first day of the season we got promoted in 1989-90.

Back
Top Bottom