The opportunity to become a Blades legend

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

s10blade

Reaction score
Whilst it's difficult to be positive about anything Blades related at the moment - we should acknowledge that with every crisis comes opportunity. Our co-owners and spin doctor may not think we are, but this is certainly a club in crisis.

I feel I need some hope to cling on to and that hope is that when we bin off this bunch of wasters and keep the few who have enough ability for this league (and we do have *some*), the next batch of players we sign will have genuine opportunity to become Blades legends. The players that finally pulled the club from its knees and made that connection with the supporters. Even if we all know their limitations they will die for the shirt and fight to the end like Sheff Utd players used to do. We will love them for it, we will smile and enjoy coming to watch them and we can forget about the last 5 or so seasons forever.

UTB

We will come back at some point, I'm sure of that and whatever manager or group of players get us back to the 2nd tier or above will go down in history as true heroes at our club.

I just can't see it being any of the current bunch. That's why I think it's going to be a long wait until we discover the next group of heroes. Most of these players have wasted the one opportunity they will get in their career to genuinely achieve something on football at a club who will always have potential to be at the top level. When they look back on their careers I just hope it sinks in how much of a great chance they threw away whilst they were here.

It's going to be extremely tough in these upcoming years as we hope to fall on a team that costs nothing with a manager who knows how to get the very best out of them. Meanwhile after spending more than a decade in our shadow, the S6 lot will be in our faces making headlines, breaking their transfer records and basically doing all the things we were doing around 2006.

It's a crying shame how we have got to this stage and I actually think it will get worse before it gets better but I'm sure that one day in the future we will look back on these days and say "My God, that was the worst of times being a blade"

Whilst it's difficult to be positive about anything Blades related at the moment - we should acknowledge that with every crisis comes opportunity. Our co-owners and spin doctor may not think we are, but this is certainly a club in crisis.

I feel I need some hope to cling on to and that hope is that when we bin off this bunch of wasters and keep the few who have enough ability for this league (and we do have *some*), the next batch of players we sign will have genuine opportunity to become Blades legends. The players that finally pulled the club from its knees and made that connection with the supporters. Even if we all know their limitations they will die for the shirt and fight to the end like Sheff Utd players used to do. We will love them for it, we will smile and enjoy coming to watch them and we can forget about the last 5 or so seasons forever.

UTB

Pointless digs at Jim Phipps Number 8345926.

It seems very clear to me that Jim is well aware of the state of the club, and the range if reaction to it.

Automatic is gone but if we can improve dramatically we could finish 6th. One of these days, we will be the form side going into the play offs.

We shouldn't write this season off yet.

It seems very clear to me that Jim is well aware of the state of the club, and the range if reaction to it.
I agree he's well aware of the state of this club but the big question for me is will he be able to help in fixing the things that are broken? Also, what will his tasks involve when trying to fix them? I suppose only time will tell WHF.

We will come back at some point, I'm sure of that and whatever manager or group of players get us back to the 2nd tier or above will go down in history as true heroes at our club.

I just can't see it being any of the current bunch. That's why I think it's going to be a long wait until we discover the next group of heroes. Most of these players have wasted the one opportunity they will get in their career to genuinely achieve something on football at a club who will always have potential to be at the top level. When they look back on their careers I just hope it sinks in how much of a great chance they threw away whilst they were here.

It's going to be extremely tough in these upcoming years as we hope to fall on a team that costs nothing with a manager who knows how to get the very best out of them. Meanwhile after spending more than a decade in our shadow, the S6 lot will be in our faces making headlines, breaking their transfer records and basically doing all the things we were doing around 2006.

It's a crying shame how we have got to this stage and I actually think it will get worse before it gets better but I'm sure that one day in the future we will look back on these days and say "My God, that was the worst of times being a blade"
I don't honk our players have wasted anything though. That would suggest they have under achieved. Our players are, on the whole, rubbish. It isn't lack of effort, it's basic lack of football ability or the physique needed for the modern game that's missing.

Because so many are on hefty contracts or were signed from higher leagues, it's an easy jump to fool yourself that they have some quality.

Paul Coutts is s perfect example who, despite all on field evidence to the contrary, maintains amongst some an image of ability, based on a reputation that should have been lost long ago.

We should stop apologising for this shower is shite. There really is no hope for most of them.

UTB

Most players become legends after achieving something, and most who have the ability to become a legend are sold before they get the chance.... Therein lies the problem, we all wish for another Brian Deane,agana, Beattie, walker, but what's the point mcsell would have them price tagged and gone first chance..

New owners please....

What we need is the equivalent of Bassett or Warnock - somebody who can assemble a team of misfits with heart who can reverse this (ongoing) slump. I don't share this optimism that we'll turn it round. With every passing season, we get left further behind and more open to the excuses that we'ver been fed for years - 'we couldn't compete', 'we couldn't stand in his way' etc. etc.

We're actually behind Rotherham now in terms of being attractive to incoming players. Expect Doncaster to overtake us soon. Shameful.

Classic politics and spin eh? Acknowledging incompetence to make voters believe you are competent!

I'm not sure questionning the decision making of our leaders - when you take into account we are utter shit - pointless myself. Maybe we have different aspirations?

Classic politics and spin eh? Acknowledging incompetence to make voters believe you are competent!

I'm not sure questionning the decision making of our leaders - when you take into account we are utter shit - pointless myself. Maybe we have different aspirations?

Jim doesn't spin anything afaics.

Acknowledges the state of the club without resorting to cliches and platitudes. Which in football is pretty difficult.

And at the moment it seems he's literally on the other side of the world and what does he do, seek out Blades to have a chat with.

And as for decision making, the two biggest decisions he's been party to are sacking Clough and appointing Adkins.

2/3 of us wanted to keep Clough.

And Adkins was pretty much universal as a fans choice of replacement. He won't have come cheap.

So, Yes, another of the remorseless, relentless, but baseless jibes at Jim.

UTMB

Jim doesn't spin anything afaics.

Acknowledges the state of the club without resorting to cliches and platitudes. Which in football is pretty difficult.

And at the moment it seems he's literally on the other side of the world and what does he do, seek out Blades to have a chat with.

And as for decision making, the two biggest decisions he's been party to are sacking Clough and appointing Adkins.

2/3 of us wanted to keep Clough.

And Adkins was pretty much universal as a fans choice of replacement. He won't have come cheap.

So, Yes, another of the remorseless, relentless, but baseless jibes at Jim.

UTMB

Well, we'll agree to disagree. Can't say I care that Jim Phipps is chatting to some exile in Perth. It's nothing more than - dare I say it - good PR. Go and chat to Turnbull, Brannigan etc. I say it again, acknowledging that something is shit - regardless of cliches - does not warrant praise.

As for what he/they have done, it's much more about what they haven't. i.e signed a full time replacement centre half in the last 18 months, devised a transfer policy to enhance the club, replaced quality with quality or at least up and coming quality, hope that we can start the season in January rather than August (hasn't the last 2 seasons). But I'm sure that Blade in Perth had fun chatting with the co-chairman.

The only way the players will become legends is by getting us out of this fucking hell hole we are deeply rooted into.

I couldn't give a flying fuck about Mcabe Phipps the prince etc it's those on the field.

Sadly as we have a squad that's full of spineless crap we aren't getting up anytime soon.

For probably the first time in our recent history, the blame for our current situation lies firmly with the players.

In previous times it was the ownership (especially in the 90's), on other occasions it was the management or a combination of both.
But I have never felt as much contempt for a Sheffield United team like I do for this one. Barring John Brayford this team is comprised of players who either have the ability but their attitude stinks to high hell or players who may be willing but are abysmally shite, mostly it's the former I'd say.

The kind of culture we have at United is that we tend to forgive players for lack of ability as long as they play to the limits of their talent. The teams we had under Bassett and Warnock in particular fall into that catagory.

This squad is utterly devoid of any character, it's painful to watch and it makes my blood boil. If 99% of this lot were to walk out of the club tomorrow, the door could not slam quickly enough.

In times like this, if you want to become a Blades legend.....just do your fucking job.

There's more bollocks on Prisoner Cell Block H than on this squad. ;)

It needs an overhaul. It'll happen this summer I would have thought.

For probably the first time in our recent history, the blame for our current situation lies firmly with the players.

In previous times it was the ownership (especially in the 90's), on other occasions it was the management or a combination of both.
But I have never felt as much contempt for a Sheffield United team like I do for this one. Barring John Brayford this team is comprised of players who either have the ability but their attitude stinks to high hell or players who may be willing but are abysmally shite, mostly it's the former I'd say.

The kind of culture we have at United is that we tend to forgive players for lack of ability as long as they play to the limits of their talent. The teams we had under Bassett and Warnock in particular fall into that catagory.

This squad is utterly devoid of any character, it's painful to watch and it makes my blood boil. If 99% of this lot were to walk out of the club tomorrow, the door could not slam quickly enough.

In times like this, if you want to become a Blades legend.....just do your fucking job.

I'm a wee bit more in this camp than Alco's. I think Adkins has underperformed, but I also think he sees some talent in this squad and the problem has been harnessing it when the players consistently fail to show the requisite graft, leadership and teamwork. These are the basic things that everything else is built upon. Without them the whole show collapses regardless of any other qualities we have.

This squad, despite its imbalances and gaps still has enough within it to make 6th. With the amount spent, it should be winning the league outright, but the players aren't anywhere near worth their cost, and their self-regard exceeds their willingness to do the dirty work by a bloody mile.

Back
Top Bottom