The night the atmosphere returned

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
Tuesday night was the first league game in years where there was a proper 'Blades' atmosphere. Twenty minutes of consecutive chants of 'Chrissy Wilder's red and white army', loud and proud. The great Blades atmosphere has returned!

Tuesday night was the first league game in years where there was a proper 'Blades' atmosphere. Twenty minutes of consecutive chants of 'Chrissy Wilder's red and white army', loud and proud. The great Blades atmosphere has returned!
Not sure about the atmosphere returning - it is definitely better but still short on what I would like. I sit in the south stand and find that I am the only one who sings anything around me even the GCB anthem!
unless the Kop is in full voice we seem to be a quiet lot overall !

Clough's second season (bar cup games) and Adkins' tenure is enough to cause any atmosphere in the land to die off a bit.

It'll come back in full swing. Just needs time.

Last season you could split the Kop into 2 halves. Cloughie apologists v the "happy clappers" supporting Adkins.
Weren't right good.........was it?
But now with both these "ghosts" we'll and truly exorcised, we are UNITED again.

The best I've been at in recent years was the Villa Park cup tie - Tuesday at Shrewsbury was still a fair bit short of that - still onwards and upwards.
Agree ,my best mates last away game ,so special for me.

The best I've been at in recent years was the Villa Park cup tie - Tuesday at Shrewsbury was still a fair bit short of that - still onwards and upwards.

Villa Park was incredible. I took this video sometime in the second half and it still makes the hairs on my neck stand up to watch it now. The sheer volume we generated that day was unreal...

(apologies for the shoddy camera work...the stand was bouncing and I'm a shit cameraman)

Villa Park was incredible. I took this video sometime in the second half and it still makes the hairs on my neck stand up to watch it now. The sheer volume we generated that day was unreal...

(apologies for the shoddy camera work...the stand was bouncing and I'm a shit cameraman)

Good vid but just imagine how difficult it is for the Pork to take a stable video. They'd have bounced the stand down (the soft sods).

Good vid but just imagine how difficult it is for the Pork to take a stable video. They'd have bounced the stand down (the soft sods).

Hmm...given our porcine neighbours' obsession with "Bouncing" maybe that was the wrong choice of word. The stand was rocking...yes, rocking. That sounds much better :)

At 48 years of age, I found myself orchestrating that choir! Is that sad, or what? :)

UTB

Trying not to airbrush the past, but some of those cup games at home under Clough were as good as it gets. Many of us may have negative feelings about the son of Brian, but any suggestion that it was all bad is disingenuous and lazy.
Got to admit as much as I wanted him sacked in the end I did want to kiss him at multiple times too.

With a choice of Villa or Walsall away, me and my mates chose Walsall....

At least we got to see a cracking goal from Porter :rolleyes:

At 48 years of age, I found myself orchestrating that choir! Is that sad, or what? :)

UTB
It's rare our crew sings especially without beer we'd only had a couple before but we were in full flow

Big exaggeration.

It's still a long way off. Partly understandable, partly surprising and disappointing given what Wilder's done.

The home atmosphere need a kick up the arse.

Apart from the Charlton cup tie in the last few season we have never approached the atmospheres generated by the Forest play off or the Arsenal Premier League game.

I don't know why it's happened perhaps is it the over zealous stewarding of G and H block on the South stand that started it going down hill?

I live in Shrewsbury but lived in Sheffield 60 years ago when I started supporting the blades.I usually see away matches in the midlands.On Tuesday I took two friends and was so proud of our teams total commitment and energy and the atmosphere was superb.So different to last years game when McEverley hand ball in the penalty area summed up what a jaded team we were.Our passing and ball control last Tuesday was a vast improvement on the teams I have seen over the last few years.Thank you Chris Wilding,players and fans for making for a great evening.

Said it before and I'll say again, it's so much easier for blades fans to get up for a game against teams where we don't think we have a god given right to win (i.e. every game in league 1).

The promotion season and PL season show how good the fans are when games mean something. When we were in the PL none of the established PL sides gave a shit and we would sound much louder as away fans, it's the same for us in this league.

The quicker we get out the more people will get up for games.

Said it before and I'll say again, it's so much easier for blades fans to get up for a game against teams where we don't think we have a god given right to win (i.e. every game in league 1).

The promotion season and PL season show how good the fans are when games mean something. When we were in the PL none of the established PL sides gave a shit and we would sound much louder as away fans, it's the same for us in this league.

The quicker we get out the more people will get up for games.

That's spot on. How many times do we have 300 fans from the arse end of nowhere come to the Lane and taunt us about our library? We don't give much of a shit about them ...

Remember in the PL season when we played Everton at Goodison. We were on front row, 2-0 down early on and down to ten men. There was only one option - sing. I seem to recall "Oh when the Blades go marchin' in" being popular that day. There was a steward nearby who genuinely couldn't believe what we were doing and said it was the loudest he's heard the visitors end for a long time; we were never going to get anything out of the game and he just didn't understand.

The quarter final against Charlton was the most electric atmosphere I've witnessed.
Hairs on the back of your neck stuff.
It's on its way back,just like the team.
Many great memories of fantastic atmospheres. Agree Charlton 1/4 final was amazing. Also Southampton League Cup 1/4 final. Then there was the Wembley semi against Hull. All the fans congregated in the pub car par/garden before the game. That was amazing. Going back a bit further the play off semi at BDTBL against Forest when we came back from 2-0 down. But I think the best I have ever experienced was the Old Trafford FA Cup semi v. arsenal before kick off the singing chanting was just amazing. Happy memories and let's hope those times are returning. I really believe they are.
UTB

Back
Top Bottom